News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 01:20PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 283
Total: 285

Management restructure

Started by beentheredoneit, 03-03-21, 11:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotcomts

Anyone have any more clarification regarding the lump-sum (buyout) Vs payment protection. Our store manager has said if you take lump-sum & then leave you would have to pay it back? Given you'd be taxed on that amount how they work out the amount you'd pay back? Would you have to stay the 18 months?

It was also stated that any pay rises wouldn't apply with either the buyout or pay protection?

Not seeing any of this in black & white doesn't help!

Redshoes

Quote from: Dotcomts on 09-03-21, 06:54AM
Anyone have any more clarification regarding the lump-sum (buyout) Vs payment protection. Our store manager has said if you take lump-sum & then leave you would have to pay it back? Given you'd be taxed on that amount how they work out the amount you'd pay back? Would you have to stay the 18 months?

It was also stated that any pay rises wouldn't apply with either the buyout or pay protection?

The TS in my store were told if they left within 18 months they would have to pay back. Protected pay keeps you at that level of pay but if a pay rise comes in you don't get the pay rise until it balances out, as in the pay rise would need to be equal to or above your TS hourly rate as it is now.

emma070706

Have any Stock/Admin managers had a 1-2-1 and able to shed any light on that role?

Checkout Superstar

I don't think Stock Control is effected by this

streaker

Quote from: emma070706 on 09-03-21, 09:08AM
Have any Stock/Admin managers had a 1-2-1 and able to shed any light on that role?
I had mines last week, and not happy of the process, 42 years service , feel being forced  into a role.

Cinderella

Quote from: Dotcomts on 09-03-21, 06:54AM

Mine said the opposite! Seems there is different information being given.

I was told the tax would work out the same, as it would 'even out' over the 18 months, that you would be taxed the amount, just not in one go.

My store manager also keeps telling me it's a two year protection plan, is he wrong about that as well?

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: streaker on 09-03-21, 09:28AM
I had mines last week, and not happy of the process, 42 years service , feel being forced  into a role.

what changes are being made to stock control management?

grim up north

Quote from: Dotcomts on 08-03-21, 08:27PM

I haven't turned the new role as of yet but principally why should anyone rebrand themself & now pick up managerial tasks for the same pay? You get more money delivering mail for the royal mail.

[/quote]

Around 5 years ago, they got rid of half the managers in distribution and gave colleagues the chance of a 'service coordinator' role. Basically doing the old managers job for wait for it.... £10 extra per week. They had and still have no end of people willing to do it. Why, I don't know

Morris999

Quote from: Cinderella on 08-03-21, 10:57PM
Quote from: Morris999 on 08-03-21, 10:51PM
Quote from: helpme on 08-03-21, 09:50PM
They are all taking the lump sum as then if they find something elsewhere or decide to retire they will gain a little in their pocket.

Be careful about that, as I'm certain if they leave before the 18 months are up, then Tesco will claim the remaining months back of the colleagues.

I actually asked my store manager about that today. He said if I took the lump sum and left, I wouldn't owe them anything. He also said if I took the two years protected payments and left, i would lose out on what was remaining if I left. He also advised that the lump sum is the better option, as he mentioned future pay increases taking up a portion of what I would have been getting, whereas with the lump sum I would get it all

I think your store manager is having trouble reading a simple brief.
It's 18 months protected pay or lump sum and the brief I've seen says they will take back the difference if you leave before 18m.
Was same for other structures over the past few years.

Cinderella

It does make sense, especially as similar was in place for bonuses. It's one of the reasons I asked him. He did stumble when I asked when the deadline for a decision was, he said 11 April, then the end of the month, and then he would call me in six days for my final decision. I'm glad I have this place to get clearer facts!

forrestgimp

Quote from: NightAndDay on 08-03-21, 03:31PM
Legally speaking, the purported "soft structure" change comprising only of a change in job title to team manager so it's generic rather than specific is disingenuous as it entails a material change to your responsibilities and accountabilities, the prospect of being moved around fulfilling managerial duties that used to be the domain of a specific department manager does count as a material change to the role and would therefore count as the previous role being removed and it not being reasonable to assume the new job role in light of the increase is demands.

With this being the case, I'm fairly sure USDAWs legal plus service or an employment law firm would be able to build a strong case for what looks legally to be a redundancy situation.

This depends on what your contract says, Does your contract state you are the manager of a specific department.

Have a read of this it may help somone.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/basic-rights-and-contracts/changes-to-employment-contracts-overview/

Why_would_you_do_this

So about 6 months ago I had an interview and was given 15 hours of team support per week, picking up overtime as team support and checkouts. They never gave me a new contract and when I asked I was told I can't have one because it would mess up my holiday somehow.

In my 1-2-1 I was told that I was a normal checkout colleague who "stepped up" and therefore not entitled to any pay protection whatsoever. 3 other people are in the same position as me, while those with contracts do get pay protection.

So my options are go back to boring checkout work, continue running checkouts for no extra pay or wait a possibly infinite amount of time until a manager leaves and a shift leader position becomes available. I feel like I've been scammed out of my job, I was really enjoying it and getting up-skilled to take on more responsibility. I don't know what I'm going to do.

emma070706

What is changing? Are you extra/superstore?

NightAndDay

Your contract and job code will tell you your job title, however, you may have very little in the way of employee rights, especially with regards to redundancy if your tenure is less than 2 years, but it could very well be Tesco policy for pay protection or an 18 month lump sum to be payable to you if you lose lose money every week due to a job title change.

Add to this, if you were "stepping up" you would be paid deputising pay, 90% of the full rate of team support, however, i do find it peculiar you would even be in such a position with less than 6 months service.

Crapscan

Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 09-03-21, 09:41AM

Depends what your structure looks like. For instance in my busy £600K+ superstore we are going from 10 team mangers and 1 lead team to 5 team mangers and 4 shift leaders. There is a service manager that will look after all areas with 4 service team support, a fresh food manager, a grocery manager, a gm and f&f manager and a stock and cash manager (the stock and cash manager looks after stock, admin, cash office, security and cleaning) the managers are all responsible for doing the schedules, meetings, people routines for all their colleagues. They also have to look after the whole shop and not just their own departments. The shift leaders will open and close the store and hold the duty phone. The service team support will do as they should be doing now with ensuring the daily running of the checkouts, desk etc but with added PFS now. they will also have to liaise with visitors etc (makes sense as they are at the front). My role is currently no longer a part of the new structure however Ill stay within my role until something comes up (highly unlikely) or I choose to leave (also not going to happen) so I'm not really worried.

Why_would_you_do_this

Quote from: NightAndDay on 09-03-21, 01:22PM
Your contract and job code will tell you your job title, however, you may have very little in the way of employee rights, especially with regards to redundancy if your tenure is less than 2 years, but it could very well be Tesco policy for pay protection or an 18 month lump sum to be payable to you if you lose lose money every week due to a job title change.

Add to this, if you were "stepping up" you would be paid deputising pay, 90% of the full rate of team support, however, i do find it peculiar you would even be in such a position with less than 6 months service.

I've worked for Tesco on and off for a few years, but only got the team support role 6 months ago. My payslip job role is still customer assistant. I will be losing money each week from the lower hourly pay.

dotnochance

I have been told my dotcome is having 4 managers now up from 2

Checkout Superstar

Quote from: Crapscan on 09-03-21, 01:24PM
Quote from: Checkout Superstar on 09-03-21, 09:41AM

Depends what your structure looks like. For instance in my busy £600K+ superstore we are going from 10 team mangers and 1 lead team to 5 team mangers and 4 shift leaders. There is a service manager that will look after all areas with 4 service team support, a fresh food manager, a grocery manager, a gm and f&f manager and a stock and cash manager (the stock and cash manager looks after stock, admin, cash office, security and cleaning) the managers are all responsible for doing the schedules, meetings, people routines for all their colleagues. They also have to look after the whole shop and not just their own departments. The shift leaders will open and close the store and hold the duty phone. The service team support will do as they should be doing now with ensuring the daily running of the checkouts, desk etc but with added PFS now. they will also have to liaise with visitors etc (makes sense as they are at the front). My role is currently no longer a part of the new structure however Ill stay within my role until something comes up (highly unlikely) or I choose to leave (also not going to happen) so I'm not really worried.

Sounds rather chaotic. 

Colleague 3000000

[admin]Become a VLH supporter and you can start you own topic on strike action.[/admin]

dairyfresh

beware of unoficial strike action as you are not protected.

An employer may take various measures, up to and including dismissal,
against any employee who takes industrial action. An employee who is
dismissed by his employer while taking industrial action may lose his right to
claim unfair dismissal

Colleague 3000000

We don't want to work for a company that searches us, abuses us and treats us without dignity.

We should strike to show them that the company is our Tesco.

Not those of the elite.

NightAndDay

Quote from: dairyfresh on 09-03-21, 03:52PM
beware of unoficial strike action as you are not protected.

An employer may take various measures, up to and including dismissal,
against any employee who takes industrial action. An employee who is
dismissed by his employer while taking industrial action may lose his right to
claim unfair dismissal

Not if it's backed by a union, being dismissed for union authorised strike action is classed as automatic unfair dismissal and brings with it a potential unlimited fine. Unofficial strike action however is not protected, the best way to go about striking against Tesco is to first start a public campaign against USDAW asking for their dissolution, at the very least it would show Tesco to be the anti-unionists they are, most of the time USDAW is little more than an agent for public relations.

newdawnrising

We are also a £600k plus store but only 4 team managers and 4 shift leaders. I would like to find out why some are getting just an ambient manager who has grocery warehouse frozen bws h&b gm f&f. But some are getting a separate f&f gm manager. I presume it's headcount or turnover but would like to know the cut off for this.
I just can't see how we can go from 12 managers to 4 if no one leaves or moves on. Doesn't add up. And then if they do decide on doing something later down the line the shift leader jobs will all be gone. Why would anyone do a shift leader role in an extra or large superstore for the same pay as a shift leader in a little express. None of this makes much sense to me.

NightAndDay

Express Shift Leaders have it much harder than a lot of other manager positions, they are often the duty of the store and have a lot more responsibility than SLs in Metros and presumably superstores.

I know Express fuel sites that take around £300k+ a week plus that have 1 SM and 3 full times SLs and 1 part time, and about 20 part time cas, never more than 1 on 3  or 1 on 4,  they also don't have cleaners like Superstores do. Express SLs definitely should be on more money just for the fact that they are usually the top of the chain when running shift, while in Metro and Superstore they will have TMs and possibly leads or the SM in the store as well.

In fact, this is somewhat recognised by the fact that it's only in Express that SLs get paid for not being able to take their break.

stockstaffreduction

Quote from: Colleague 3000000 on 09-03-21, 04:21PM
We don't want to work for a company that searches us, abuses us and treats us without dignity.

We should strike to show them that the company is our Tesco.

Not those of the elite.

Unless you are willing to provide a valid strike solution, then I suggest you stop bringing this option up.
This is not f3cebook, twitt8r or any other social media platform where you can lead some revolution.
Colleagues want a lawful solution to their concerns as they fear losing their jobs.
If you want to do something to help, then you should post real options that can be used to challenge this change, rather then constantly talking rubbish.
If you want strike action in Tesco then you need to be the person to start it. No one else is going to do it, no matter how much your colleagues in your store agree with you.

If you want to lobby the Union for strike action, then you will probably find you will get some support if done properly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk