News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 08:54PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,123
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 325
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 297
Total: 299

MPs & Lords

Started by Nomad, 05-03-21, 08:42AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should MPs/Lords show solidarity with those on furlough/made redundant/getting nothing and return 20% of their salaries and expenses for last 12 months ?

Absolutely, yes.
89 (74.8%)
Certainly not.
27 (22.7%)
Perhaps 10%
3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Nomad

Should MPs/Lords show solidarity with those on furlough/made redundant/getting nothing return 20% of their salaries and expenses ?

BIG vote yes from me  :thumbup:  :thumbup:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Nomad

Makes me wonder who the NOs are  8-)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

AJR2171

Hi, I'm new here, can anybody tell me how I can start a new post or how to search for a subject please?

Does it vary depending on membership level etc.?

Thank you

[mod]Ref: starting new topic or search Please read VLH Supporter Benefits[/mod]

penguin

Well Nomad finally something you and I agree on, I 100 percent agree with this idea.
Do not let anyone tell you there is not a decent job and life beyond Tesco.

Nomad

Yea penguin, I've cracked it  :)  :-*

I seriously think they should do it, if they are genuine when they say "we are all in this together".

I had the thought when an MP on TV was constantly banging on about how little money the country had to spare in relation to the governments suggested pay rise award for nurses.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

Mover

NO ,we are in work too.we had a bonus (though not a lot after tax etc).those who say yes to this I presume they would be willing to give up 20% of their pay , to show solidarity?? Thought not!

Nomad

Us, 20% of very little  8-)

Them, unlike MPs/Lords etc we don't cost UK Ltd approx £550,000,000.00 per annum.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

TheGreatArtiste

Quote from: Nomad on 05-03-21, 12:24PM
Makes me wonder who the NOs are  8-)

A bit late to the party.
But that's me.
Why should they?
"A lot of things should be, but they aren't"

Nomad

They are 'supposed' to be leaders, example setters etc, and a good percentage of them have done very little over the last 12 months.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dotnochance

"They are 'supposed' to be leaders" so you want them to get less money? mp's make terrable money compaired to other jobs, some store managers in retail make more. mp's are making life and death decisions and laws that effect millions of people in the country. and beyond.
A large portion of mp's take paycuts from their normal working fields to enter politics because they believe they can make a difference rightly or wrongly.
Highly qualified intelligent people would never enter politics if you cut mp wages. And the main reason you dont want to pay polititions low wages is have a look at all the other poor countries they are all much more susceptible to bribery and corruption.
This thread is just childish and pathetic.

NightAndDay

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/

"The basic annual salary for an MP from 1 April 2020 is £81,932. MPs also receive expenses to cover the costs of running an office, employing staff, having somewhere to live in London or their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency."

Don't know a lot of SMs who are on more than that, most I know are on less than this amount.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/03/nearly-one-in-five-mps-have-regular-paid-work-outside-parliament

There have been records of MPs having a 2nd job, it's a mateyboy doss job, they don't need to quit their field to be an MP.

As for making life and death decisions... the statement speaks for itself.

dotnochance

wow you must be popular if you know every sm in the country and what they earn, since my exact words where "some store managers in retail make more"
And there are very strict rules for second jobs as an mp. most  mp's with second jobs are lawyersand in medical field and media

Nomad

Quote from: dotnochance on 01-04-21, 02:29PM
This thread is just childish and pathetic.
Well, you just became part of it  :D

As NightAndDay has rightly pointed out it's not as simple as just quoting salaries.

I never forget how over the years politicians when discussing little or no pay rises for nurses they would proclaim that the nurses do the job they do out of a sense of duty and care and not for the amount of money they get paid, it's a pity they(MPs) could never take a leaf out of their own book.

3,332 candidates fought over the 650 seats in 2019 election, obviously a poorly paid unpopular job  :-X
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dotnochance

U.K. population 66 million, doesn't seem that popular. also on the stupid pay rise comparison, let me guess u get all your info from the daily mail? Last mp-nurse pay rise was about 3% each

forrestgimp

300 quid a day to turn up pick your nose for 5 mins have some subsidised lobster bisque and go home.

Not a bad job eh.

dotnochance

If that's what you think they do, 🤦 I will admit that the main thing mp's are failing in, is education! Going by this thread

Nomad

dotnochance, I'm happy to disagree with you, but I do find it a shame that you seem incapable of having a debate without resorting to snide remarks aimed at any and all that disagree with you.

It really is sad.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

dotnochance

Boo-hoo

[gmod=gomezz]You are treading on thin ice now. Pay heed or I see a yellow card benching for you in the near future[/gmod]

dotnochance

Boo-boo red card me if you want, I mean vlads allowed to say deeply racist s*** and nothing happens to him his racist s*** is still up, people on here post stuff about dotcom staff like dotcomedy and saying entire department should be dumped, your fine with all that. Stick you card up your arse f****ng hypocrite. Racist stuff is fine but mildly offensive comments aren't!

alf

Whilst I'm not quite as against the idea as dotnochance, I do think this is a pretty daft topic.

It reminds me of those silly Facebook posts "I bet no one is brave enough to share this, but share if you think MPs should be on minimum wage" or some other tripe.

Nomad

I fully agree with your second paragraph re: FB.

I never join in with a pretty daft topic, why would I.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

forrestgimp

Quote from: dotnochance on 01-04-21, 06:15PM
If that's what you think they do, 🤦 I will admit that the main thing mp's are failing in, is education! Going by this thread

My post was more about the lords than the actual MPs because that is precisely what does happen. However MPs are harder working for the most part I agree. 

I seemed to have offended you and for that I apologise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk