News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:18PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 280
Total: 287

Over 70s Isolation

Started by extrastore, 15-03-20, 05:41PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnochance

i didn't get my letter, but because im on certain drugs fostair  for one, i 100% should be shielding! but because i didnt get letter, im not. even though doctor said i should, that f****ng letter f***ed me

Welshie

@dotnochance , I think you need to remember that the government have NOT recommended shielding again , they have said if you can work from home and if not restrict your social contact . Shielding was not recommended in Wales or Northern Ireland who have a much higher rate of infection BUT Tesco have decided to shield their most vulnerable members of staff now that Westminster have decided on a lockdown . This is not government recommended shielding so it is up to Tesco to set their rules and not Doctors. 
I will say again this is my understanding of the situation and not me agreeing with it .

Morris999

@dotnochance, all I can really advise you to do, is contact your GP/Consultant and ask for a letter from them, other than that speak to your manager and see if they can refer you to OH or contact the PP for advice.
But without OH or a Shielding letter I’d say you’ll have to carryon unless you take holidays/unpaid.

I know it sounds harsh, but Tesco has to follow something and unfortunately they are going by the Governments Shielding categories and OH recommendations, otherwise you will have tens of thousands of colleagues saying because they have XYZ they should be off paid.
I’m seeing it as are others with the wearing of masks.

notsofunny

Sound advice Welshie and Morris  :thumbup:

Just want to add that having seen 4 Shielding letters of friends that still work for Tesco non of who had a OH done on return each letter of shielding says      ( Clinically extremely vulnerable ) all 4 have been asked to do a OH so that Tesco can see if they are to stay off work , all 4 have Just passed on the letter showing the wording , and given personal details like NHS number which will be used to see if they are on the Government list which i understand that Tesco have access to ,

Unfortunately Not every one that was off before will be classed as needing to be off again , on top of which many that did go off saying they had the letter and  did not have one ,so this is why they are doing this ,

extrastore

My store is only furloughing CEVs, so those with e.g asthma or are over 70 are not being furloughed, this contradicts the email from Natasha. What about your store?

Morris999

@extrastore
No colleague is being furloughed,
If you mean your store is only sending home the CEV colleagues on full sick pay then yes they are following the company policy which was in Natasha email.
The email I had from her didn’t mention anything about colleagues with asthma or the over 70’s, only about CEV colleagues.

londoner83

You have to remember the business has already supported these individuals by giving them at least 12 weeks full pay whilst they sat at home shielding. The government state only CEV need to work from home so there will be many who were off last time that now must work.

There will be many in the workforce angry at people who haven't had shielding letters yet again are trying to get even more paid time off.

Zx81

Not everyone is thinking of have a jolly up month off, they are genuinely worried about they're health, the pandemic has hit my local area far worse than the first wave, unfortunately the managements attitude is like yours, thinking everyone with a underlying health condition is some kind of work shy skiver, which is definitely not the case!!!

expressman77

Quote from: Zx81 on 04-11-20, 05:08PM
Not everyone is thinking of have a jolly up month off, they are genuinely worried about they're health, the pandemic has hit my local area far worse than the first wave, unfortunately the managements attitude is like yours, thinking everyone with a underlying health condition is some kind of work shy skiver, which is definitely not the case!!!

Great reply,  you can tell from previous comments that if your concerned about being at work when you have a heskth issue and was shielding last time your being classed as trying to avoid work,  talk  about a caring community

Morris999

Your correct there are genuinely concerned colleagues who do not fit into the CEV category,
But you must also acknowledge that there are colleagues who are trying to get the time off just because others are having it off!
There’s at least 2 in my store who want it off just because! yet there’s also a youngish female on my department who has no health issues at all, yet is absolutely petrified of catching COVID and leaving her young daughter without a mum.

Tesco have had to draw a line somewhere and they have, if they gave everyone who wanted it off the time off fully paid then there would be literally no-one in stores.

There’s options open to you if you’re worried about working, however as a nation we are going to have to learn to live with it!

Zx81

I agree, we are going to have to learn to live with it and Tesco may have to draw a line under it but when colleagues were sent home last time it was said to be because it was unsafe for them to be on site, apart from some hand gel and a one way system nothing has changed, so apart from the financial aspect it's hard to understand the concern of march to the complete lack of concern in November, not even a briefing!

Morris999

Yes colleagues were sent home in March on the Government’s instructions, this time the Government has said not too.
I don’t think it’s a lack of concern from above, more Tesco are following the Governments guidance, which is only the CEV’s to stay at home.
I think the briefing was from Boris on Saturday night🙂

Now whether we believe Sage’s advice and figures that led to the Government issuing the advice and
this lockdown is up to each person to decide!

Me personally I’d say let the CEV’s etc shield with full pay from the Government but let everyone else get on with it.
You can see day by day more and more people not following the advice/restrictions in effect at the moment, and it will come to a point when more people are not following it than are, at this point nothing the Government does will make a difference!
There’s a bill coming that’s going to take decades to pay back, which unfortunately will mean higher taxes for all this countries workers, many of whom have worked all through the lockdowns!

extrastore

copied from natasha’s email - specifically mentions CV colleagues
As a business we have taken the decision to ask all CEV colleagues and Clinically Vulnerable (CV) colleagues who have been deemed higher risk by Occupational health â€" including those living in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales â€" to not come to work from 5 November to 2 December

Morris999

Only those that fell into group C by OH.
If you had an OH report in June you were put in group A, B or C, which you would have been told by OH.
So if you didn’t have an OH report or were put in group A or B then you are to carryon working.

Zx81

Still some recognition of the people who are far more likley to get seriously I'll from covid19 it's ok to say just get on with it when you have very little chance of becoming seriously I'll, not even a simple briefing or any plan to make it safer for vunreable colleagues it's just get on with it we've got to, just think if the boot was on the other foot.

Welshie

Quote from: Zx81 on 04-11-20, 05:08PM

Its anything but a jolly month off . For colleagues who are being paid to shield its stay at home , you should not be out except for exercise or medical appointments , quite hard if you're ill or alone . It's a very concerning time for everyone  not just the CV that have to work , those who have extremely vulnerable family at home are also really worried   , many took unpaid leave last time but people dont have unlimited savings to do this . I think we need to support each other more in store .

notsofunny

My 4 friends that passed on the letters from last time stating C.E.V on them have been told no need for OH to get involved , Tesco is not allowing anyone else to be off ,,

And as of 3 hours ago 11 friends working In Tesco and places like Schools and banks have received a E mail stating that they  should stay at home all come under C.E.V,

As to jolly month off , Think how much fun a single person will have all alone in a flat not being able to go out to the shops or to be able to meet friends and family with the hope that the post man ..women will drop around and post some junk mail , or standing at a window looking out in the hope someone will look up at them and give a wave ,,, yep a lot of people will have a jolly good time ,,,,,,

josephinebutler

Just resurrecting this in light of the new strain.

How are Tesco dealing with the over 70s now? My mother, late 70s diabetic and not in the best of health, works on the tills and is quite worried about working at the moment. Unfortunately she needs the money to live so taking time off unpaid isn’t an option which apparently is how this is being managed now. What would happen if an older employee got covid and, god forbid, died? How would Tesco spin that? I suspect they wouldn’t care.

Nomad

They would probably class it as 'a small number' and move on to the next tenner in the till.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Welshie

Quote from: josephinebutler on 10-01-21, 07:09PM
Just resurrecting this in light of the new strain.

How are Tesco dealing with the over 70s now? My mother, late 70s diabetic and not in the best of health, works on the tills and is quite worried about working at the moment. Unfortunately she needs the money to live so taking time off unpaid isn’t an option which apparently is how this is being managed now. What would happen if an older employee got covid and, god forbid, died? How would Tesco spin that? I suspect they wouldn’t care.

Unless she has a shielding letter there is no comeback on Tesco , they are following government guidelines and paying staff with shielding letters full pay to stay off and shield  which is more than many companies are doing .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk