News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 12:03PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 299
Total: 302

3rd August 2020

Started by chris9997, 25-07-20, 04:00PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redshoes

My understanding is that the company is just no longer opening with redundancy being mentioned. It's not completely off the table it's just further down the list after establishing that a colleague can't be matched to another role.
It has cost a fortune and a lot of people have come back so they are now seeing if more can be done to find alternative roles. After this it goes higher, out of store. This protects those who want to stay as the store now needs to work harder to find suitable roles. If nothing can be found it is then independent people that review.

dotnochance

Jesus £4.50-£5.50 a slot, that’s one way to kill off dotcom

chris9997

The thing is that if stores are significantly over hours moving people to depts that are under hours is not going to solve the problem the only way to ensure the store gets to target is to bully people until they resign ( this is getting more difficult to achieve due to the current unemployment figures) target people who are on final warnings hoping they will step over the line ( if it were me I wouldn’t give them the satisfaction)
Or wholesale redundancy.

Hammer10

They should just bite the bullet so to speak and offer redundancies voluntary so what if you lose skilled people others may well want to step in or it’s an opportunity to multi skill new people on less hours because there will be a lot of takers especially full timers coming to the end of their careers with the amount of people looking for jobs they won’t have any problem replacing those who leave.

T.C.1

I think in the next few weeks Tesco stores up and down the country will fall over with the amount of hours being cut on nights and days!! Is this going to be the new norm?

lucgeo

Quote from: Hammer10 on 31-07-20, 10:53AM
They should just bite the bullet so to speak and offer redundancies voluntary so what if you lose skilled people others may well want to step in or it’s an opportunity to multi skill new people on less hours because there will be a lot of takers especially full timers coming to the end of their careers with the amount of people looking for jobs they won’t have any problem replacing those who leave.

You'd think wouldn't you?? But the problem is that Tesco have been so blinkered in the past, that they culled a lot of highly trained, long serving CA 's who took the knowledge with them. One of tesco's core values was "share the knowledge" but there are so many things not now known by newer colleagues, that everyone struggles. They can't train people things they don't know! I doubt many SM's or senior team know how to use a PDA or acces all the functions available on it! Stock control is the core of the business, yet it's teams are treated as spare parts to support other dept's.
Yes getting stock on shelves, and putting through checkout is of the upmost necessity, but if you can't get the stock under control, there ends up little choice, and high waste %.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Siwel123

God, being used as a spare part is part of stock control surely? I swear I signed in my contract I'll be everyone else's bitch or something. Regularly when doing potential reductions we're asked to help with final reductions, colleague shop, charity etc. You don't mind helping out but being pushed every night to help other departments can get a bit tedious shall I say.

Lack of training too is a big issue, people seem to be half trained and have to guess and teach themselves what to do, which makes for interesting times

whatajoke2019

I hope it isn't going to be the new norm, but who knows?

Part of me wonders if they are axing hours like there's no tomorrow as a result of the 'bonus' most of us received for three months. Heaven forbid those at the top sacrifice some of their salary  :D.

King1999

Quote from: Siwel123 on 31-07-20, 08:08PM
God, being used as a spare part is part of stock control surely? I swear I signed in my contract I'll be everyone else's bitch or something. Regularly when doing potential reductions we're asked to help with final reductions, colleague shop, charity etc. You don't mind helping out but being pushed every night to help other departments can get a bit tedious shall I say.

Lack of training too is a big issue, people seem to be half trained and have to guess and teach themselves what to do, which makes for interesting times
Let's get it right stock control have been treated like s***,biggest laugh now is they probably realise what we use to do with limited hours help isn't that easy anymore.Joke of a company.The experience I've got will certainly not be shared.Taken for granted,used and abused.Nope Tesco can get stuffed.

Australopithecus

Is it true that manager cuts are coming? I've been told "in confidence" that superstores are losing managers too...

Hammer10

Let’s hope so overpaid shelf fillers .

Australopithecus

Or the in the case of Store Managers and their buddies, just highly paid. What are Deputies for?  I think ours is lazy and nasty.

Australopithecus

[mod]Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).[/mod]

My "opinion" on here of course, but i think you'd find that sentiment is shared by all those i work with. But I'm fine with the edit. I've heard they're all going too anyway, but naturally you need to be very careful who you trust in our work environment.

lordadmiral

Quote from: King1999 on 01-08-20, 11:30AM
Quote from: Siwel123 on 31-07-20, 08:08PM

Let's get it right stock control have been treated like s***,biggest laugh now is they probably realise what we use to do with limited hours help isn't that easy anymore.Joke of a company.The experience I've got will certainly not be shared.Taken for granted,used and abused.Nope Tesco can get stuffed.
Same in our store. New workers are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo useless that it is unbeliveable. Stock control or PI who come early morning must catch up with work.
And i ende up in office for having a go at managers for doing f*** all, not delivering traing to new one and lettim them get away with so littlo work. Ridiculous.

BUY TESLA STOCK

I’ve found those who do the accusing are c**p themselves.

newguy20

I'm one of the temporary staff brought in during March when everything went beserk. We have all been given a weeks notice and sent on our way.

OK I fully accept, I'm temporary and should go before any permanent staff.

But up until a week ago, SM etc were saying that there was "100%" work for us until the new year... based on about 50% of the temps leaving in August anyway, the remainder of us would drop to 7.5 hours for Sept/Oct (pick up overtime where possible to cover holidays etc) and then effectively take the role that the christmas temps would have during Nov/Dec. Seemed like a reasonable way of keeping people on rather than getting rid of us and having to bring in more temps later in the year.

One of the lead managers pointed out that this was a silly move as they don't know how many of the vulnerable people (age etc) may choose to drop hours or even not come back at all... or if there's a second wave coming.

Ah well I have learnt in the last 5 months that logic doesn't always apply !!!

Bonny Heather

As you have been there more than 12 weeks you are all entitled to 4 weeks notice from Tesco. Go see your manager and tell him/her to check Tesco Policies.

King1999

Quote from: Jackanory on 01-08-20, 09:24PM
I’ve found those who do the accusing are c**p themselves.
No,the new reality is it is c**p.Pathetic training,lost experience useless managers......the list goes on.Toxic all round.

Australopithecus

I just wish I could give the full details of what is going on with managers in my store right now, the scandalous amount of money being wasted on them in this current climate is just making people's blood boil. Over 40hrs per week currently being thrown at two managers filling one position that soon won't even exist. Where is this money coming from?

londoner83

Tesco will use covid to their advantage.

Firstly with multiple people shielding at the start of the outbreak the stores took way more money with less colleagues and less management actually in the business. Anyone looking at profit would gather we can do more for less.

When forlough ends the government is going to fully fund wages till after Xmas of people on apprenticeships. Now it dont take a genius to predict Tesco will use this scheme  until the New Year to get free labour.

With record unemployment forecast if I was in charge I would introduce now any restructuring thats currently in the pipeline. Doris on F+F is far more likely (as a example) to accept  up a new frozen/trollies/F+F job share across multiple sites now knowing if she is laid off she may not work for months/years.

Treacle Tezco

Has anyone heard if there will be an announcement about senior team restructure? Is it 3rd August?

fatboy

Can't really see any announcements coming tomorrow. Pretty sure that if there was that something would have been leaked by now.

newguy20

I agree this is a 'good time' as far as management are concerned to restructure (seen in several companies, airlines in particular) as people are more willing to accept it right now.
Equally other changes which they probably wanted to make eg counters, reducing 24h stores etc, will now be done under the grounds of covid as less likely to result in protest!

It doesn't take an idiot to realise that the trading of March this year was unique, and was due to panic buying. This is unlikely to be repeated; people have seen that even in a lockdown situation there is still plenty opportunity to buy food - and delivery services have been beefed up. No sensible manager could ever assume that they can run their business like that forever....

notsofunny

Quote from: londoner83 on 02-08-20, 12:52PM
Tesco will use covid to their advantage.

Firstly with multiple people shielding at the start of the outbreak the stores took way more money with less colleagues and less management actually in the business. Anyone looking at profit would gather we can do more for less.

When forlough ends the government is going to fully fund wages till after Xmas of people on apprenticeships. Now it dont take a genius to predict Tesco will use this scheme  until the New Year to get free labour.

With record unemployment forecast if I was in charge I would introduce now any restructuring thats currently in the pipeline. Doris on F+F is far more likely (as a example) to accept  up a new frozen/trollies/F+F job share across multiple sites now knowing if she is laid off she may not work for months/years.

Every company will take advantage of the situation,
And when a lot of Tesco staff went off Tesco also recrutied over 30 thousand , as well as having no limit to overtime ,
As to The apprenticeships , cant find any place that says Gove is paying the full wage as well as that Supermarkets will be able to take them on , or that this will allow company's to take on staff for only 4 months  without conditions,,, after all 2 million out of jobs wont be covered by this

chris9997

DL in a statemnt stated that the company had spent £800m on the covid what with ppe ,temps overtime etc and he stated that this will be offset by the panic buying and the cut in rates for this year.
This statement is ok except the panic buying will not bear much fruit as the restricted customer flow will kill any gains and some items bulk purchased will have its onwn knockon effect of buying in the coming months will fall off.
I see another round of restructuring coming on.
I think it is proberbly a good time for change of ceo for DL a least ,the city will see him for the Man that turned around tesco the new leader will have an uphill struggle to get anywhere near previous profits i recon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk