News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

25-04-24, 12:53AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 5,899
  • Latest: dezza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,408
  • Total Topics: 638
  • Online today: 556
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 553
Total: 555

Tesco Staff Benefits

Started by carpman1, 19-08-05, 05:52PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wazzaroo

I've tesco car insurance for years and i always pay monthly and because i work for tesco i don't pay the admin fee for paying like this (until this year that is),i rang up to question them and they said they took it off the quote price(had a look and i couldn't see no discount).They didn't even have my payroll number so how can they give me a discount then.If think they realised this and they came back at me with a new quote(surprise surprise)

glscotslad

The interest free instalments have been taken away for staff from October 2010, as only some staff benefited from them, which meant other staff who wanted to pay in one go, didn't get any benefit. The money used to give the instalments free has now gone in to lowering everyone's premium. As a goodwill gesture, they're giving everyone an extra 10% off their renewal. You should have gotten a letter telling you this. I did, back in January.

They know you're staff through your Privilegecard number, if you've already got a policy. Anyone new has to give their Privilegcard number and employee number.

Hope that clarifies.

[admin]Quote removed. We ask members not to quote immediate prior post. Nomad[/admin]

adspackman

That does help, thanks for taking the time to answer glscotslad.

glscotslad

Hi Folks

Check out the new benefits site which goes live today, hopefully you'll see some offers which appeal and there's also a few good competitions!

Let me know what you think, as i'm working for the bank on our products for this site.

But happy to take any comments on board about the rest of the site.

Cheers

woody505

hmmm looks a bit better dont think it was worth the time or effort though. Waste of money when store budgets seem so tight. Its nice tesco have this website and i know they dont have to do it as sainsburys staff have to pay monthly fees for simirlar benefits(dont want to give tesco any ideas). Bet tesco make some commission on some of the external offers. lots of day out offers seem to be down south can we have more for northern staff.

glscotslad

Hi there

Thanks for being so open and honest. The site didn't cost anything to update, as when it was updated 18 months ago, there was provision to update it at a later date.

Tesco also don't make any commission on the deals, granted, if you buy Tesco car insurance etc, then yeah the company makes money from policies, but not in the first year.

Please let me know what you think of the site, as it's YOURS and MINE, so we want it to be as good as we can make it.

meant to say, anyone who hasn't seen the site:

www.peopleattesco.com

username: tesco
password: mybenefits

Cheers again.

POA Billy

For something that has apparently just been updated, why is so much of the site information out of date.

i.e. the "Your Pay" still says coming soon.

The long service still says "you will receive your certificate from Terry Leahy"

What is the point of such an attractive looking site if nobody keeps it up to date (?))

As for the "bank" when they start current accounts and staff discounted mortgages then maybe I could get interested, but at present it just seems to be a platform to sell stuff to the employees.

As for the gym list it is 2670 lines long not in alphabetical order with no search facility only downloadable as an Exel file.

Faceandgo

Would love it to incude the staff handbook and the briefing papers "royal bank holidays for staff" etc, that would stop so much trouble from managers who "interperet" such things on staffs behalf or those that cheerfully tell folks, oh it's been ok'd  by the union and all other stores are doing it.

As for the car insurance,it's the same silly routine as last year...Hello I've just had the renewal notice through for my car insurance, I'm looking at compare the market online right now and your 15th from cheapest on the list.
Yes it comes with all the things you've mentioned, this one is over £60 cheaper and includes a courtesy car, which I would have to pay extra for with you.
Actually I can can get cheaper insurance from Asda than I can from Tesco. Whats that, you can reduce it by £50, thats still more expensive,oh and you'll throw in extra clubcard points...well thats within a tenner of their offer...ok I'll accept that. 
take two cages onto the shop floor? not me i just faceandgo!(Administrator)

Time is too slow for those who wait
Too swift for those who fear
Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

adspackman

Why not also put some of the useful information back on there that disappeared with the previous update? I'm thinking things like a list of the coming year's pay dates and other useful documents like that.

ableseaman

Dont know if I am too happy with the posts from glscotslad, smacks a little bit too much of a Tescoite trying to get business for the company which could be miscontrued as advertising, which is not allowed by this site. I do appreciate a little of what he says but the majority of his posts are slanted towards the greatness of Tesco and what they do for their staff.
I am a very careful buyer when it comes to parting with money (as a lot of Tesco paid workers have to be) and through experience I know that Tesco are by no means the cheaper alternative, also I have found that their service is not improved whether it be dedicated Tesco staff or otherwise. I nearly always check on the Tesco sites before I buy anything ie electricals, home, garden, holidays etc and it is rare to find better prices with Tesco even with our discounts.
Apart from the post I made earlier about Tesco car insurance the latest check I made was for a cruise from an EXCLUSIVE STAFF BENEFIT leaflet I received with my wage slip earlier this year. The very same cruise, same liner, same dates, same ports of call was available in the Daily Mirror the same week for £104 cheaper, some EXCLUSIVE STAFF BENEFIT that was.

As said in my last post please always check with comparison websites, don't take for granted what you are fed by the very experienced and crafty Tesco spin doctors

[mod]There are people who actually like Tesco and like working for them,we try to encourage a broad range of views Faceandgo[/mod]

glscotslad

Hi folks, thanks for the posts. Let me answer your questions /points in turn....

1. Your Pay... this is a NEW section and will be updated once the content is accurate, pay dates will be added soon, this is already in the pipeline

2. Gym List... good spot and i'll pass that back to the UK benefits team, I actually noticed that one myself the other day

3. Long Sevice... good spot and i'll let the guys in UK benefits know it's been missed

4. Briefs... around certain things can't go on the site, different staff are on different T&C's, depending on where you work, work levels etc, so you'd end up confusing people by putting them on here. It's up to each Manager to ensure they brief you correctly

5. Car Insurance...I did say compare the market and then get a price from Tesco, but remember, none of these comparison sites capture your Clubcard number, which drives up to 15% Clubcard discount and also the additional 10% Staff discount, so straight away you've lost out on a 25% discount. You only get the Clubcard discounts when you buy directly from Tesco Bank / via the benefits site

6. Staff travel agent... you should feed that back, as Thomas Cook are supposed to offer us better prices than they do to the public. I can pass your comments on to the UK benefits team if you like

As for me 'smacking of being a Tescoite', well, I guess you could say I am. I've worked for the company for 15 years, worked my way up, worked in stores, regional roles, the office and now Tesco Bank.

I don't agree with everything we do as a company, I am not a robot with no opinion, but I do think that we're the best out of the big four supermarkets in terms of how we treat staff and how we pay them. I don't forget that without the people who work in store this company would be nothing.

As for trying to sell things, i disagree, it's more about making people aware of what they are entitled to. That's what 'the little book of big staff benefits' was about. Some people don't know half the things they could save money on. Look at the example above, someone saying they found us 15th on comparison sites for Car Insurance, but they didn't know that they could have saved 25% by going through Tesco Bank site?

Keep the comments coming, as I really do want to hear them, good or bad.

Cheers

Faceandgo

4   Yes im aware not everything could go on there, but as the documents have to be produced taking into consideration different sites and T+C's that argument doest really work." It's up to each Manager to ensure they brief you correctly"   You only have to read a few threads on here to realise how often they don't. (try the royal weddingbank holiday thread)

5. I was with tesco insurance last year, I said it was a renewal. If you tell me your best offer is £300 then thats your best offer. If you send me at the same time info that says, but if you go through the tesco bank you can get it down to £225 I'll consider that option too. I would assume you have taken into consideration both my clubcard and payroll number when making up the quote. Why would I want to jump through hoops to get the quote down, when I can just ask the meerkat? simples :)

Too long for those who grieve  Too short for those who rejoice  But for those who love, Time is eternity.   -Henry Van Dyke

glscotslad

Hi there, apologies, as I didn't realise that it was a renewal, if it's renewals, you get the Clubcard discount and staff discount included in the price. But as I've said before on previous posts, all insurers hike your premium after year one, because they all lose money from you in the first year, to get your business. I don't think it's right, I don't agree with it, but we have to do the same to compete in getting new customers.

And I completely agree with you on the briefings, you get good managers, you get bad managers, been there myself, so I can completely see where you're coming from, my advice, ask your PM, they always seem to know the answers, or they'll at least find out for you.

Cheers

Nomad

On the links page you seem to have forgotten http://www.verylittlehelps.com  :o

:)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

glscotslad

Lol! Some how I don't think they'd be up for that  ;D

ableseaman

Faceandgo, comment taken on board and appreciated. its just that I dont care for people extolling the virtues of offers that I have yet to find beneficial from my own experience.

madpatters

glscotslad

As you seem to have a direct live to greater places can you please suggest staff benefits people speak to the taste card people with a view to optional corporate membership ? My friends husband just got one through corporate and it was only £30 a year.

http://www.tastecard.co.uk/

Thanks

POA Billy

Also a joint card employee and spouse, as there is only one total why does it matter who within the household spends it (?))

glscotslad

Quote from: POA Billy on 27-03-11, 07:45PM
Also a joint card employee and spouse, as there is only one total why does it matter who within the household spends it (?))

There's already a staff deal for a similar card, only £24.95, High-Life, go on to the benefits site, check Your Staff Deals, then More Offers...

I'll pass your comments on to the UK benefits guys though, so they can see what they can do.

Cheers

glscotslad

Apologies, I quoted the wrong person there!!

However, I'll also take your suggestion back to the Benefits guys around two people on the same card!

Cheers

glscotslad

Quote from: Faceandgo on 24-03-11, 02:09PM
Would love it to incude the staff handbook and the briefing papers "royal bank holidays for staff" etc, that would stop so much trouble from managers who "interperet" such things on staffs behalf or those that cheerfully tell folks, oh it's been ok'd  by the union and all other stores are doing it.

As for the car insurance,it's the same silly routine as last year...Hello I've just had the renewal notice through for my car insurance, I'm looking at compare the market online right now and your 15th from cheapest on the list.
Yes it comes with all the things you've mentioned, this one is over £60 cheaper and includes a courtesy car, which I would have to pay extra for with you.
Actually I can can get cheaper insurance from Asda than I can from Tesco. Whats that, you can reduce it by £50, thats still more expensive,oh and you'll throw in extra clubcard points...well thats within a tenner of their offer...ok I'll accept that. 

Meant to ask you... did you try getting a quote from Tesco Bank then, via Tesco Bank site or the Benefits site? And did we come out cheaper than ASDA (chokes me to even say the word lol)...

I'd be keen to find out!

Cheers

Faceandgo

Why would I want to jump through hoops to get the quote down, when I can just ask the meerkat? simples

No, just rang T insurance and eventually got a quote that was still not the cheapest but within 10% or so,  so I accepted that. ASDA were only 12th or so cheapest on the list just FYI.

How about putting a holiday request form on the site as a pdf download so thatfolks can print out there own when they run out at work?

glscotslad

Good to know, just out of interest, you'd have gotten a cheaper price if you'd gone online, than phoning! I'll ask the question about the holiday form, that's a good shout!

Cheers and thanks again for letting me know  ;)

Nomad

And a PDF grievance form  :D
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Jaycloth

Editable, and with the ability to send, direct, to the CEO!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk