News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 05:52PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,116
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 322
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 286
Total: 289

Backdoor accidents

Started by Chairswan, 18-05-06, 03:49AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatmanpoop

Did you type that with your thumbs Dr ???

Anymore rsu please

Geezer100

ok, think i have translated it, i have had to add bits into it to get it to make a bit more sense. These bits are in brackets.

Translation:
We (dr. Greenthumbs store) have a really old store right. No Hi-Tec lifts right. But the DC's still put pallets on the back of the trailer. It take 6 of us who are back door trained to get these pallets off the wagon, beacuse we haven't got the stuff (equipment?) we need. This one time the (DC?) sent two pallets of coke on the back of this trailer, as soon as we started the first one (handballing it?)it went everywhere, the second one was the same. Another time they (DC?) sent a trailer with a faulty t/lift. the driver didn;t speak much english, about a £1000 worth of wine fell of the back (of the wagon?), he has never seen a manager move so fast.

Northwich Back Door Men have been renamed TOPS = Tidy Other Peoples S**T

The Mrs

Dr Greenthumb, first of all, WELCOME to VLH  ;D

Second ... just ignore this picky lot. I understood you. :)

The Mrs (Administrator)

Geezer100

glad u understood him the Mrs. I think your one of the few who did

Anne

I understood the post no problem. Welcome Dr Greenthumb.  ;D

Muppetry in motion !

Chairswan

Right going back to the subject:(I've read the post well by the way) 8)
Everyday this week i've had at least one broken wheel from one delivery everyday, has anybody had this phenominum in recent weeks, it's becoming a pain in the arse despite some of them coming along with stickers on them>:(

Bearman

Chairswan its good to hear that you are one of the few backdoor men who does his job well and whilst you are like that your store will be accident free in the yard anyway and i hope your TM appreciates your good work.
As for the wheels on the cages you find one and put on the sticker we take it back and it comes off at the rsu to be repaired or sc**pped  ??? [?] WRONG!! they put it back in the cages that go back to the main depot get reloaded normally with the fruit juices and sent back out again UNLESS the wheel has come off completely then it may get dumped. I have to say having worked for other supermarkets Stresco have the worse cages. But what do they care they don't have to work with them ;) ;)

fatmanpoop

Not only have we problems with the wheels, some of the sides of the gold/red cages are broken sticking out which could do someboby a nasty injury getting stabbed with those wires>:(

Anymore rsu please

Geezer100

Yesterday I gave a trolley lad the biggest b**lo*k*ng I have ever given some1.
I went to let m/wich in, Hire trailer, with a 6 legger so quite tight to swing round.
The trolley lad comes down with a broken torlley and waits at the bottom of dot comedy ramp out of the way. Wagon starts to move.  He then stops to allow dot comedy van to come in and park up. So waht does the trolley lad do? Start to walk across dragging the faulty trolley. I get hold of the trolley, lob it across the other side of yard and yell at him to stand in a place that's out of the way.
When wagon has finished moving, I b*****k the trolley lad big time. Then tell him that all the trolleys lined up there, can be put circulation cos Symonds Hydroclean have checked them all.
Result: One sheepsih looking trolley lad who won't do that again.

Chairswan

Yes Geezer that's another way of averting a disaster, i take it the trolly boys arn't informed of the H&S issues regarding placing the faulty trollies in the yard when a vehicle is turning around & nearly squashing him ??? >:(  
In nearly all stores there is a sign outside by the gates explaining 'only one vehicle in the yard at all times' but then you get the odd courier who thinks because he's a courier delivering to your store he think he's exempt from that rule, when he's not!! >:D
If the vehicles in the yard were to colide with each other it's down to the backdoor person because he or she let him in:-x

Geezer100

Chairswan, regarind the one veichle in the yard rule.
We do let courier firms in, when the wagon is safely parked up, and being unloaded.
Or, two wagons pass each other in yard, one on way in t'other on way out.

Geezer100

Not exactly an accident, but lovely deliv tonight from midd-comp.
my dolly of meat, and 1 of produce all over back fo trailer. Me, the driver and 3 GA's ended up picking stock up and re-stacking it on another dolly.
Unable to take pictures, as the driver hadn't got the lights on, so too dark.

jb66

Pallet of flour fell on Tuesday, driver could not stop it as tail-lift bent downwards due to the weight, I think underslung should be used for tail-lift stores first.  Too many times underslungs are going to stores with loading bays

Chairswan

jb66 - shouldn't the driver have asked you to put up the tail-lift flaps before proceeding to place the pallet of flour on to the platform, it's happened a few times at my store, it's an accident that is very easily preventable:-x>:(

jb66

Apparently Driver asked for it to be down as it was too big to fit on the tail-lift, a pallet is larger than a tail-lift

Little Tinker

CS i tend to agree about the flaps :)

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.

fatmanpoop

Thats the sign of a simpleton moving a pallet of flour weighing 20 tonne on to a tail-lift with the flaps down. Might as well not bother using the tail-lift let it roll out the back of the trailer, Lucky no one turned into a jam doughnut getting splattered.

jb66

a few people were "ghosts" though lol

Chairswan

Fatmanpoop i understand a pallet of flour weighs about a tonne & a quarter each, 20 tonnes ??? , if it were more than one coming off at the same time possibly yes ;) :-x

Little Tinker

On the old tail lifts, ie 4000's you have no flaps on the side only front flaps,( remember the side gaurds ) i have found that it may dip a bit but the tail lift will actually talke a pallet of coke or flour, there about the same weight  ;D ;D

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.

jb66

Bad Accident at my store last week, Backdoor man called for help several times but no one turned up so decided to tip the wagon himself, first cage was a dairy cage and it fell on top of him.  He now is in hospital with a shattered leg and may never be able to walk properly again.  There is also a pot hole just where the plates land so probably got stuck in there.  Had the bigwigs in this week asking me allsorts because I trained him.  They say he should never have touched the cage on his own but I know how difficult managers make it for you to get help.

Comments like:

"cant you do it yourself"
"there is no one available"
"Just get Mr X" (Even though he isn't trained)
"Just get Mrs Y" (No safety shoes)

I can totally understand why he felt he had to tip it, with all the pressure of getting the split done and to try and fit in his breaks because if you don't take them then your told  "that's nobody's fault but yours" and you loose them.

Its a shame it took something like this to change the way the managers react when we ask for help.  Now were getting over ten people trained with safety shoes and should be getting new tarmac at the backdoor.  I'm just glad I'm good with the health and safety book and I'm sure he will be entitled to a claim.

Chairswan

Sorry to hear about your mate jb66, hows he doing now ???
That is just another example of stresco's attitude towards staff's H&S, if the colleague demanded someone to be with him at the time, then it should of been MM's responsibility to make sure there is someone before he started tipping the delivery>:( :(
The pothole you mentioned, was it logged in the logbook as it's a potential safety hazard[?] If it has, then his arse would of been half covered at least >:D

jb66

He got out yesterday, he has 7 pins in his leg.  Yeah its in log book, Tesco swaid someone was on the way so its his fault, they still need to get statement from him though.

Chairswan

It's a good job that the pothole is mentioned in the logbook, otherwise your colleague concerned would be in deeper poo >:D
Stresco could be partly liable if the work could of been done at an earlier stage:-x

fatmanpoop

I'm sorry to hear about the accident at yor store Jb, Hope he recovers quickly, Maybe its time everyone starts doing the job the the way they are suposed to ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk