Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
31-03-20, 03:12PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65828
  • Total Topics: 1158
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Uncovered food.  (Read 4999 times)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
Uncovered food.
« on: 26-02-20, 10:23AM »
A post in the bakery topic led me to ask this question, just to see if I'm unusual (no remarks  :-X  ;).

Do you ever buy uncovered food of any type from any supermarket.  I avoid it like the plague as even though it is completely unintentional some people spit when they talk, not to mention the coughers and sneezers.

Should the display/sale of uncovered  be banned  :question:
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
Re: Uncovered food.
« Reply #1 on: 26-02-20, 10:26AM »
I don't buy the uncovered bakery products, i would do if they put them in a littoe cabinet that you would have to open and use tongs to pick up.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 26-02-20, 11:16AM »
Depends on what it is and the time of day.
Bakery lines - might in the morning but not if have been sitting out all day. It's not just contamination, it's the fact that it will be dry.
Fruit and veg - not an issue, do buy. It's often cheaper and I get what I want and not left with huge amounts I can't get through.
Meat - no butchery counter in my store so I buy pre packed. Local extra has a butcher and I sometimes use but it feels odd to get in bag as used to pre packed now.
Cheese - I only ever used to buy cheese from deli as the pre packed tasted different. This has got better over the years and as I often shop when the counters are closed I can't remember the last time I bought from someone serving me at the deli, don't even buy grab and go now.
Milti-packs - tins etc are being phased out. This is to reduce packaging.
Biggest packaging issue is huge box/tub/container that is only half full.
Coffee - I buy jars not bags, recycle glass. Not sure if this is best way but I have never done the pod things. The one thing I do know is that the inventor regrets it as they are really bad for environment and can't be recycled.
What I select is part environment and the rest ease and convience. Only little given to hygiene as just don't buy some things.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 26-02-20, 12:14PM »
Oh god yes...my worst nightmare is uncovered food...veggies, fruit etc is ok as you can rinse them or peel them.

I have seen people squeezing uncovered loaves, testing for freshness, I have seen people scooping out pick and mix with their hands, then putting some back...handling cakes and doughnuts, even saw one bloke testing which loose jam doughnuts had the most jam by prodding his finger in each!!
Pick and mix salad bars have been proven to harbour high levels of bacteria, I'm surprised to see some supermarkets still have them. I had the misfortune to witness one snotty nosed kid in Pizza Hut picking food up with his hand, tasting it, spitting out and putting back into the serving bowl what he didn't like!!! Eewww!
I have even witnessed one woman opening jars of sauces to smell them, then putting them back on the shelf, five had their vacumn seals broken, which we had to waste.
Bit extreme? I don't think I am, but then I am known for opening public toilet doors without touching the handle, either using the bottom of my jumper or my feet to open!  :(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #4 on: 26-02-20, 12:25PM »
Pick & Mix salad bars  >:( can't think of many things that are more unhygienic  :'(
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

OfcourseIlovemyjob

« Reply #5 on: 26-02-20, 12:47PM »
I used to work in the bakery and I don't know how many times customers used to pick things up with fingers and then put it back, sometimes after falling on the floor, not to mention kids licking the sugar off the doughnuts!!

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 26-02-20, 12:58PM »
I’m exactly the same 😣 wet uncovered food makes me feel sick at the thought of even trying to eat it . And the toilet door thing Lucgeo 🤣. One for me was at school I think they are banned now but the drinking fountains in the playground, the thought of all those mouths touching where the water came out ...

Paupers wage

« Reply #7 on: 26-02-20, 04:33PM »
Not forgetting dot com where pickers can’t wash hands every time they handle uncovered unsliced bread to put into the trays, never right in this day and age, everything should be cellophaned!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 26-02-20, 05:10PM »
I notice M&S are more environmentally friendly, fresh loaves in brown bags, and actually have less veg pre packed, with brown bags for loose. It was nice to choose just a few loose potatoes, individual big mushrooms, as a couple we have to eat the same things a couple of times a week to use the pre packed up, or waste them! I'd rather pay a little more, to have fresh, than big bags of pre packed produce, just going to waste. This is where Aldi lets me down, as no individual carrots etc...
Why stores can't do a sml veg pack, especially for pensioners, carrot, couple of spuds, bit of seasonal veg etc???

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #9 on: 26-02-20, 05:19PM »
Never thought about it, now you have brought it up I am never buying another uncut loaf from tesco again, Even with bakeoff they will still be uncovers and broggled about by all sorts of weirdos.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 26-02-20, 06:56PM »
Bunch of softies the lot of you. Have any of you died? You ate much worse and more contaminated things in your youth  ;D
« Last Edit: 04-03-20, 10:14AM by Nomad »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 26-02-20, 07:59PM »
Aye, but we didn't live in such a sterile world as we do now...our immune systems are so diminished. Antibiotics given for everything, didn't know had to finish the course, so stopped when we felt better. Dare I mention Corona virus, never would have thought you could get an infection in a hospital   :-X
« Last Edit: 26-02-20, 08:09PM by lucgeo »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #12 on: 26-02-20, 09:17PM »
I don't think we did eat more contaminated things in our youth, because it was mainly 1 person (the green grocer) who put the fruit/vegetables into your mum's shopping bag, you could point to the one you wanted but were not allowed to touch.

Also many households grew a good quantity and variety of vegetables in their own back garden.
« Last Edit: 26-02-20, 09:19PM by Nomad »
Nomad ( Forum Admin )

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 26-02-20, 09:39PM »
Add to this, bacteria helps boost your immune system anyway, constantly vying for a sterile environment isn't healthy unless you're immuniologically compromised in any way.

Siwel123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 26-02-20, 10:52PM »
Yeah but having 100s of peoples bacteria all over your croissant isn't something anyone really wants

Thor

« Reply #15 on: 27-02-20, 03:50AM »
No! I never buy uncovered food, except fruit and veg, where it can be washed. The amount of times I’ve seen customer prod and poke bread, squeeze for freshness, is absolutely vile. Who knows what these people have been up to. Pick their nose, cough, go to the toilet. It’s no surprise that people are buying less bread when it unwrapped. I wonder if the ‘overpaid’ bright ideas club in HQ, thought about this when rolling out ‘naked’ bread - (to coin their phrase of unwrapped bread). Artisan bread maker have ‘naked’ bread, behind the counter, touched only by the baker/sales assistant. When will supermarkets learn and realise that they are supermarkets and not artisan small family businesses, they attempt to emulate these Ideas and do it poorly. Just watch the customer flock to other stores. Morrison’s has already anounces that they are expanding their fresh operation - in light of Tesco announcement on the bakery, they will want to employ these staff. Tesco f***ed up when they changed to Euphorium and now they’re doing it again.  :thumbdown:

Baker4life

« Reply #16 on: 03-03-20, 09:48PM »
Thor totally agree, Morrisons must be rubbing their hands with glee and can't believe their luck being able to employ Tesco bakers many who have been loyal to the company for many years and they will bring so much experience to Morrisons.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 04-03-20, 07:42AM »
Wont touch unwrapped bread. You only need to witness people leaving the toilets without washing their hands to realise many members of the public have very poor hygiene standards.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 04-03-20, 08:37AM »
After reading this thread and with the Coronavirus I will now not buy any uncovered food for a while

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 04-03-20, 09:05AM »
Which is why the golden rule of eating unwashed or uncooked food abroad is...if you can't wash it or peel it, don't eat it!

The-shelf-filler

« Reply #20 on: 13-03-20, 06:41PM »
I never ever buy bread from the bakery,they have been seen coming back from a smoke break and going straight to cooled down bread and put it in the shelf without washing their hands.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 13-03-20, 07:30PM »
I've witnessed our baker having a pee and not washing his hands then going straight back to the bakery

Chud

« Reply #22 on: 24-03-20, 02:17PM »
I've witnessed our baker having a pee and not washing his hands then going straight back to the bakery

You're lucky he didn't knead a poo!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 24-03-20, 04:03PM »
Liking that play on words Chud  8-)

des

« Reply #24 on: 24-03-20, 04:15PM »
Seen them more than once not washing there hands after having a number two