Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29-02-20, 06:40AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64985
  • Total Topics: 1156
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 483
  • (25-02-20, 02:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 119
Total: 122

Author Topic: Accusation of disappearing on shift !  (Read 3554 times)

Freebird123

• VLH Supporter
Accusation of disappearing on shift !
« on: 12-02-20, 04:08PM »
I was called into a 'let's talk meeting' last night and was accused of leaving the shop  floor before before the end of my shift . When I refuted this I was told it would go to an investigation  if I wanted , and would go on a CD as evidence? What does this mean ? What's the next steps I.can take .I'm speaking to our union rep later.  Amongst other things said during meeting this is the bit that's  bugging me
« Last Edit: 12-02-20, 04:10PM by Freebird123 »

Whistleblower

Re: Accusation of disappearing on shift !
« Reply #1 on: 12-02-20, 04:37PM »
Let it go to investigation, if they say they have cctv evidence ,it will be inadmissible as cctv is only allowed for specific purposes,checking wether you are late or leaving a shift early( allegedly ) is not allowed,unless you have been told otherwise,cctv in supermarkets have strict guidelines on what they are allowed to use it for,Google ico

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 12-02-20, 04:47PM »
Let it go to investigation and then file a grievance under dignity at work, say an acceptable resolution would be said duty manager to be demoted to ca.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 12-02-20, 05:16PM »
You havn't actually said if you have done it or not yet?

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 12-02-20, 05:35PM »
@whistleblower
We have the hub , if something triggers an investigation and they have to look at the cameras , and while looking they happen to see a breach of policy by another member of staff , then in our store this is also being investigated.  The new CCTV signs went up early last year but it's only since new year that this is happening.

Freebird123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 12-02-20, 05:48PM »
@Madness ...I absolutely didnt do it so there is no issue as far as I'm concerned

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Can't wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #6 on: 12-02-20, 05:49PM »
I was made to check a guys breaks the other day for an investigation on how long he was having. had to watch his entire shift just about and log when he went to the bog or canteen or out for a fag.

My undertsanding from the CCTV policy we were made to sign and from looking at the online guidelines is that it is not to be used for that purpose. My problem is I am unable to refuse to do it and I htink the guy is getting a right beasting because the manager who is doing loves throwing his weight around such as it is.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 12-02-20, 06:03PM »
To assist with investigations into potential breaches of the Tesco Code of Business Conduct, the Tesco Colleague Privacy Policy, and any other Tesco Policies, Guidelines, and accepted practices that could lead to disciplinary proceedings against Tesco colleagues; and
To assist with investigations into grievance or misconduct claims against Tesco colleagues and/or contractors.

Tho forrests example sounds woefully excessive, I'd imagine it'd go down badly if reported.

gumbonumber5

« Reply #8 on: 12-02-20, 07:37PM »
Forrestgimp you should have refused the request and told the manager to read the cctv policy.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 12-02-20, 09:22PM »
Go to the investigation meeting...say nowt...let them put all their glorified evidence before you...say nowt...let it all be written down as formal investigation notes...wait...then they ask you if you have anything to say...then you hit them between the eyes...the CCTV recording is in breach of the terms of code of practice for staff CCTV monitoring, as is the investigation...and it is your intention to grievance the manager as such and to inform Tesco head office and the relevant authorities regarding the misuse of CCTV monitoring in your store...then you ask for the meeting to be adjourned...all notes and comments fully documented and signed by everyone present, and you be provided with two copies. END OF MEETING!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 12-02-20, 10:01PM »
The paragraph I posted is from the tesco cctv policy.

And as welshie pointed out signage was updated a while ago, to include the likes of misconduct in relation to the use of cctv.

NightOwl121

« Reply #11 on: 12-02-20, 10:51PM »
@forrestgimp Was the manager asking you to check a senior manager or regular manager?

gumbonumber5

« Reply #12 on: 12-02-20, 11:35PM »
CCTV can not be used to  monitor how many times people use the toilet.

Whistleblower

« Reply #14 on: 13-02-20, 01:52AM »
if anybody downloads the document spacerman kindly put up , page 58 monitoring at work is the page you want to start reading from

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 13-02-20, 07:39AM »
@forrestgimp

I'm suprised you did it, you're very savvy and I have the impression you are a  serving rep?

Anyone can refuse a request if they feel uncomfortable in performing the task, or believe it to be wrong morally, ethically or legally. It is then down to the manager to decide if they wish to go down the route of refusing an unreasonable request.

wulliec

« Reply #16 on: 13-02-20, 04:10PM »
It means that they will have you leaving the store on CCTV at a certain time , and  if need they will record you leaving at this time and burn it to a disc.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 13-02-20, 06:14PM »
The accusation was leaving the shopfloor early, not the store...they would be in the right to discipline the leaving of the store before time, but this would need to be a 100% certainty and be backed by a non clocking , or the clocking out time showing after the colleague had definitely left the store, rather than just a member of staff popping outside for whatever reason.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 13-02-20, 07:47PM »
Surely there could be many legitimate reasons for leaving shopfloor early ie need to return equipment or stock to its home before I leave. Could also have encountered a customer on shopfloor who asked you to check out the back.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 13-02-20, 08:58PM »
The point being they shouldn't be monitoring the movement of staff, and then pulling them in, unless there's a genuine security or H&S concern.
Anyone leaving the shopfloor at any time for numerous reasons is not a CCTV issue, otherwise nearly every colleague would be in the office constantly. The manager is a fool, and deserves the backlash coming to him, if he is foolish enough to pursue it further.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 14-02-20, 05:27PM »

Katarn2000

« Reply #21 on: 14-02-20, 05:56PM »
Why you should bother is for your own sake. Take a bit of pride in your job for your own happiness and satisfaction. Don't work for the company work for your boss or if they are a horror for yourself.
I can't imagine a worse hell than just going through the motions in a place like this. By not caring you are subjecting yourself to that. Your attitude is what helps your survive jobs like this.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #22 on: 14-02-20, 06:06PM »
Katarn, I've been through that, taking pride in my job doesn't make me happy, I just get resentful because I'm doing more than my fair share.  I work in the PFS, I get the delivery in, I work it until I finish shift and then I come back in the next morning and it's still as I left it.  There is no pride in my work, it's just one long death march sometimes,  please don't put this on me.  If I was younger and didn't have so many other family commitments, I'd leave but I'm treading out time here.  I like the job in itself, I do my share, I do more than my share and that is peeing me off.   

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 14-02-20, 06:42PM »
Some of you are questioning the company for doing this but the fact is there are people who take the p**s. Our store has had a person sacked for clocking someone else out and another who was skiving in the lockerroom on purpose. It was other staff who had to do this persons workload who let the managers know about it. I'm sure everyone on this site would never think of doing it but it does happen and more than you think.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #24 on: 14-02-20, 08:46PM »
You don't work for yourself st Tesco, unless you plan on a career in the company, the best thing you can do for yourself is the bare minimum, that is assuming you have plans elsewhere, if you do want a career, it's a balancing act of being competent, being politically savvy (make sure to use the Tesco management buzzwords) and maintaining a "friendship" with your SM but at the same time not being a patsy.

« Last Edit: 14-02-20, 08:48PM by NightAndDay »