Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
08-12-19, 07:17PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62787
  • Total Topics: 1104
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: HAZARDOUS ADDRESSES - various store policies?  (Read 2253 times)

Joe Smith

• VLH Supporter
HAZARDOUS ADDRESSES - various store policies?
« on: 30-11-19, 11:31AM »
Recently our store held an investigation because I had got a customers shopping as close as safely possible to the customers front door and then asked the customer to come and get it from this location because going any further could be dangerous for me. This resulted in the customer complaining.

During the investigation I stated that I felt as though my managers did not support drivers who reported addresses as dangerous and that the company was quick to point blame at drivers when they are involved in accidents yet also quick to reprimand drivers who try to avoid them.

The investigation found that no further disciplinary action was required against me but that I should have got the shopping closer to the customer than I had deemed to be safe. It also upheld my concerns about my management team and said that as a ‘next step’ I must have a meeting with them to discuss these concerns.

In this meeting my aim is to present a list of hazardous addresses compiled by all of the drivers at our store where we feel ‘special measures’ are required. However, rather than just be critical of my management team I would like to present a few construct ideas to help improve the working conditions for drivers and perhaps presenting a few ideas being practised by other stores in relation to this subject could help me compile a few suggested actions for them to consider adopting.

So... my question is...

Do any stores operate a system where customer delivery drivers feel well supported by the dot com management team when raising a concern about a hazardous address?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

blueberet

Re: HAZARDOUS ADDRESSES - various store policies?
« Reply #1 on: 30-11-19, 11:59PM »
Welcome to VLH Joe, good on you for refusing to take the shopping further than you have deemed safe.

I am a little confused by the outcome of your investigation though, how can they not take further disciplinary action if they think that you should have got the shopping closer to the customer? What happens if you have to do the drop again are they expecting you to put your safety in jeopardy?

In answer to your question the store that I work at the management team are not supportive of drivers with concerns with hazardous addresses. There is a particular drop that we have that most drivers complain about yet when our manager visited the address his response was that he didn't see what we were complaining about and that he would just give us extra time for the drop.

I wonder if they have fulfilled their duties within the the manual handling operations regulations, but with how they dealt with the GB domestic driving rules I highly doubt it.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 01-12-19, 01:38AM »
It is illegal to be fired for refusing to fulfil a request due to health and safety concerns, saying this however, it does need to be documented. I recommend using your phone to video/take a photo of the hazardous element in question when making the delivery, if the managers discipline you again, request a health and safety assessment on what is being asked of you, if the HSE deems it unsafe, they will provide documentation and a mandate for the managers to follow and incorporate into their policies.

If they fire you regardless of the assessment, 6 figure payouts from tribunals aren't unheard of (and this comes under statutory rights, which is one of the few rights where an employer can't sack you in the first 2 years of employment.)
« Last Edit: 01-12-19, 01:39AM by NightAndDay »

Joe Smith

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 02-12-19, 07:23AM »
Again... I’m just asking if any store operates a system of reporting these addresses where drivers feel supported? I really hope there are some out there.

They found no further disciplinary action was required because I’d raised concerns about how my management team and the company fails to support drivers who report safety concerns and that ‘next steps’ were for me to raise these concerns with my management team. If I have to do the drop again I am expected to make the delivery.

I am wondering if Tesco are failing to take these concerns seriously and putting the customer expectations ahead of the safety of its customer delivery drivers by failing to take reports of hazardous addresses seriously.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 02-12-19, 08:30AM »
Your second paragraph is your evidence, and your defence. How can next steps be the first steps already initiated by you? They found no further action, yet have not acted upon the concerns in the first instance, but have tried to put the onus on you to raise what has already been raised.

Refuse the drop as an unreasonable request, and insist that a risk assessment be carried out by your H&S rep and a copy of their findings/recommendations presented to you.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 02-12-19, 08:55AM »
 8-) moving forward, you can then initiate a reporting system for special measures for your store, acting on the H&S assessment, because once it's written down as hazardous, or of great concern, by that rep, the management will be duty bound to act upon it, and then your team  can get involved in the reporting process.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

meme2016

« Reply #6 on: 02-12-19, 07:29PM »
not supported at all.

A simple not able to get round to the back of a customers house due to obstructions got me a warning, had photo evidence was told I should have got over the obstacles, pointed out that was against health and safety was told only the customer matters.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 02-12-19, 08:27PM »
i would have put a grievance in against the ar**h*le who said that. what a fecking idiot!! >:(

Joe Smith

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 02-12-19, 08:33PM »
Thanks for all the comments so far. I’m still hoping to hear from people working in a store where drivers making these decisions feel supported. Surely there has to be a store out there?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 02-12-19, 10:26PM »
not supported at all.

A simple not able to get round to the back of a customers house due to obstructions got me a warning, had photo evidence was told I should have got over the obstacles, pointed out that was against health and safety was told only the customer matters.

If a notetaker was present (as is due process for disciplinary investigations) and was accurately recorded to say your health and safety doesn't matter, a grievance to the manager about him saying your health and safety doesn't matter will open up some very colourful but at the same time "open and honest" conversations between the SM/AM and disciplinary manager in question, probably incorporating elements of "how would you like your P45 handed to you standard or first class."
« Last Edit: 02-12-19, 10:29PM by NightAndDay »

Long gone

« Reply #10 on: 02-12-19, 11:46PM »
I love how these idiotic managers just make up the rules as they go along, beggars belief. If all of the managers were called out on their BS I think the company would have about 7 managers.