Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25-01-20, 05:37PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63721
  • Total Topics: 1131
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: "It will be good for your development"  (Read 3363 times)

optout

• Sad Muppet
"It will be good for your development"
« on: 07-11-17, 07:41PM »
Is this phrase seen as a veiled threat by those on the receiving end of it?

Is it just another way of saying. "If you do not do this, it will be BAD for your development"?
« Last Edit: 07-11-17, 07:42PM by optout »
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Equalizer87

• Sad Muppet
Re: "It will be good for your development"
« Reply #1 on: 07-11-17, 08:13PM »
In my opinion, the phrase is primarily a blackmail tool for managers, especially  against staff who want to progress in the company but are then fed false hopes.

I've seen staff told to up their game as it would be "good for development" or "improve your chances" when chasing such things.

This line should be considered a red light to anyone .
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

ZyDer

« Reply #2 on: 09-11-17, 09:54PM »
In my last employment, it was used as a "get out of my department" tool

Iron Giant

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 09-11-17, 10:28PM »
I've repeatedly said to the young lads who have aspired to progress that this phrase is an immediate red flag. Alas they usually fall for it but realistically what choice have they got? Tesco pick the tune, they can either dance to it or leave. There will always be a wealth of eager replacements for anyone that wises up to it.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

GasMonkey

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 09-11-17, 10:48PM »
All Supermarket chains are the same if you show any indication of wanting to progress up the ladder you can kiss goodbye to your life they expect you to live , eat and breath the company. Which would be ok if you were getting paid for the insane amount of hours they expect you to work but there ideology is that if you want to progress you are the one that has to give everything for nothing in return

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 10-11-17, 12:57AM »
 i can't understand for the life of me why anybody would want to progress with this company. surely prospects would be better at a company on the up! :-X (-*-)

Lostrebel

« Reply #6 on: 14-01-20, 06:20PM »
If you go on a placement and are successful in getting signed off, will you be offered the job or must it be open posted? If the position your in on placement is a vacancy?

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 14-01-20, 07:11PM »
Going on a placement is often used to fill management positions on the cheap. Often seen people get to the end and been told not ready to sign off, so sent back to home store only to be replaced by another placement for cycle to begin again.

Teddybonkers

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 14-01-20, 07:24PM »
"It will be good for your development" is management speak for "Get ready to be exploited you gullible tw*t"

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 14-01-20, 08:03PM »
It's a line of mockery used on those who have aspirations to become a humble store manager as end game career progression,used as a carrot on a stick and a reiterating of the established pecking order, which the overcompensating twenty something year old SM on 30-35k a year for some reason has the compulsion to hammer into peoples minds.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 14-01-20, 08:06PM »
In our superstore after team leaders went the store made up a job role called "hot prospects" these were people GA level who wanted to move on and in the past might have become team leaders, anyway the so called prospects got to wear a managers suit, made to do anything managers did not wish to do, even running duty at times all for no extra pay, and always had the good for your development line thrown at them. Eventually we got a new SM who went mad to find out what was going on and soon put a stop to it all.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 14-01-20, 09:06PM »
And rightly so...this practice is commonplace. The " good for your development " line was the most insulting and derogatory statement I have ever heard, and I was never on options,but heard it that often it used to make my blood boil. The amount of times I had to stop myself from shouting out...yea good for their development if they wanted to be your bitch!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

randomworker

« Reply #12 on: 14-01-20, 09:25PM »
My god the poor person asked one tiny little question and was instead barraged with the most depressing comments.

Yeah I know this site is mostly to push everything negative about Tesco but my god you lot take the cake on negativity  :D

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #13 on: 15-01-20, 04:54PM »
No not depressing its the truth, If you cant or wont see it then you are either blind or a corporate schill. Being told its good for your development is the phrase you hear before being asked to work overtime for free or to go home and come back in the middle of the night for nothing it is never about development its about filling a gap and its been like that since the 90s.

hesketh

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 15-01-20, 06:58PM »
I've never understood how someone could think that showing yourself as a patsy would further your cause or career. I would never look to promote someone with no back bone or the ability to defend themself.

Having said that, many of the current breed of "managers" clearly demonstrate that that is the corporate requirment......
Don't take life too seriously, no one has ever gotten out alive!

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 16-01-20, 01:00AM »
Going on a placement is often used to fill management positions on the cheap. Often seen people get to the end and been told not ready to sign off, so sent back to home store only to be replaced by another placement for cycle to begin again.
Any decent store manager or lead manager should know that consistancy and a manager with ownership is better than hte next tom dick or harry holding the reins for another 6 month stint.

chris9997

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #16 on: 16-01-20, 01:09AM »
At the end of the day this saying has been around for decades and the companies that use this scam (largely this is what it is) survive because staff work for free even if they are already in mm this can reduce there overall hourly rate.

Long gone

« Reply #17 on: 16-01-20, 01:28AM »
The "It will be good for your development" line is  spoken by management to customer assistants who have been brainwashed into thinking they will be senior team in 6 months and that working an extra 3 hours a day for no pay and being given the duty phone while management are in a 3 hour JTP meeting will immediately qualify them for management duties. 6 years later .....”ohhh we haven't found any vacancies yet but can you take the duty phone while we have another meeting? Thanks a lot”

Administrator Comment Edited to remove name calling. Nomad.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 16-01-20, 10:47AM »
If you go on a placement and are successful in getting signed off, will you be offered the job or must it be open posted? If the position your in on placement is a vacancy?

old way, see comments above but people did get signed off and appointed. Just not everybody. Very seldom did people get signed off and not appointed but it did happen. Not everybody can do it and it is a huge reality check for most when faced with how big the role really is. Many seem to think they can carry on doing same job but just on more money.
New way is supposed to stop the endless placements. What is supposed to happen is that a store has a manager going on maternity, leaving or off with a planned operation for example. The store managers in the group will talk about who they have ready to step into a placement role. Somebody that has done well on grocery would probably not get checkouts, if that is the plan they should be taken out of role and coached in store before they go out to another. A placement should only then happen if there is a vacancy. In reality this results in not enough people ready to step into short notice support roles. This could be seen as using people and it could also be seen as sink or swim but it has worked for many.
People have been used but on the other hand everybody who wants to deserves the chance to try.