Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-01-20, 05:35AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63633
  • Total Topics: 1129
  • Online Today: 881
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 35
Total: 36

Author Topic: Short shifts  (Read 5803 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Short shifts
« Reply #25 on: 09-12-19, 08:26PM »
I'm so shocked at their behaviour, I reckon if it comes to it and employee finds wages short after being sent home it may be acas who will get contacted. Be interesting to know if the employee gets instructed to clock out when the store closes on those evenings
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #26 on: 14-12-19, 04:29PM »
Employee has a meeting after putting in grievance, I'm expecting the am to deny any of the previous discussions or meetings ever happened as the colleague/managers didn't minute it.
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #27 on: 14-12-19, 06:22PM »
Well he must have had a discussion with someone, as half his shift is when the store is closed, so a Christmas working arrangement meeting should have been done, so why wouldn't he be on the rota for those shifts?

If there is a rota up written? Take a photo of it before it disappears, does it put him in on two short shifts??

Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #28 on: 15-12-19, 08:00AM »
Well he must have had a discussion with someone, as half his shift is when the store is closed, so a Christmas working arrangement meeting should have been done, so why wouldn't he be on the rota for those shifts?

If there is a rota up written? Take a photo of it before it disappears, does it put him in on two short shifts??

yes the seasonal working arrangement the employee showed me does put them on 2 short shifts so yes that's proof that at least that happened, another good thing it's signed by both the manager and the employee on the same date as the employee says they had a meeting to discuss the issues
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #29 on: 15-12-19, 09:47PM »
So is the other shift he offered to work, but was denied, still available? Or was someone else allocated it?

If still available, he should have been offered it long ago, and it's proven the manager is being an arse! If it was given to another colleague, that colleague should have the seasonal working arrangement dated and signed also, so if the agreement is dated later, then further proof supporting his grievance.

He needs to keep his cards close to his chest...let the meeting commence...let the notes be started...then if any denial of meetings by managers on said dates, prove them wrong with signed, dated agreements.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #30 on: 15-12-19, 10:14PM »
Employee tells me at the time the offer was made to cover the shift for the manager it was still available and this was on the same date and time as the discussion meeting in which the seasonal working arrangements form was signed. Employee at that time was only about 80% sure store would close 2 hours into their shift. The required cover for other shift was offered by the employee and but then covered after that as far as the employee knows at least as during the above meeting the manager didn't say it was covered.
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #31 on: 15-12-19, 10:17PM »
Also likely the aforementioned required shift would have just been covered as standard overtime and not likely to be on a seasonal working arrangements form as it was a shift which was required for November
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 15-12-19, 10:23PM »
Then he needs to wait for a denial of initial meeting from manager...then prove the date of discussion and signed agreement...then state refusal to his offer of covering other shift...all written in notes...once denial proved wrongly, all following denials from manager become less believable, the onus moves onto the manager to prove.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #33 on: 15-12-19, 10:47PM »
Apparently this upcoming meeting was announced by letter 15 minutes before end of employees shift and date for it is first thing on employees next shift (2 days later) so I believe although rules say 24 hrs notice iirc seems unlikely employee would have time to organise it as per meeting invite letter suggests. Has found someone who is willing to go but will bet this gets refused at start of meeting, if it does I will let employee know to just end the meeting immediately on grounds that a rep/colleague was refused
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #34 on: 16-12-19, 07:19AM »
On what grounds would they refuse  8-)

Again, wait for note taker to start logging meeting, if no offer of rep question it? If refusal, adjourn meeting, sign notes up to adjournment, ensuring all comments noted and any space between end of written notes and signatures, has a large snaked line to block any comments added after the meeting.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #35 on: 16-12-19, 07:31AM »
The company does not require someone to have a full shift or any stated given time during a shift to arrange a rep. They just need to give enough notice for meeting to take place. As employee has had time to arrange for someone to go in with them there is not an issue. Meetings should take place during a normal contracted shift unless a different time has been requested by colleague.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #36 on: 16-12-19, 08:48AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post.

Only had time to find s colleague willing to attend, didn't have time to do any more in regard to asking the colleague's manager to allow it
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 16-12-19, 12:21PM »
They can't refuse the request, if the named colleague is in agreement to attend the meeting...they could only postpone it, if the colleague is unavailable due to unforeseen emergency( not a checkout call!) needs of the business.
A reminder that the colleague holds the same status as a rep, whilst in the meeting, so any inference that they cannot speak or ask questions, as they are only there to take notes, is TOTAL BS!!

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #38 on: 16-12-19, 01:01PM »
How do I go about changing contract days? I have managed to find a new job which I will start in January 2020 but was looking to keep a shift on if I could. It’s good to see the crew on a Saturday and night lead with his air of calm efficiency.

Administrator Comment Off topic.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #39 on: 16-12-19, 01:30PM »
You probably won't have a problem if it's a Saturday night shift your wanting to do...though not every SM is keen on someone working elsewhere as it restricts their availability, it all stems down to available hours and staff cover on the night you want to work.