News:

Welcome to V.L.H

Main Menu
Welcome to verylittlehelps. Please login or sign up.

28-03-24, 03:47PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 38,115
  • Total Topics: 630
  • Online today: 316
  • Online ever: 1,436
  • (24-01-24, 01:01AM)
Users Online

Occupational health

Started by BigBear, 12-04-21, 01:54AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batmanjo

Quote from: Redshoes on 13-05-21, 06:17AM
So, you have a colleague who works on the back door, they need a move and it has been agreed that checkouts would be a suitable place. This puts them into a role that starts two hours later but all the early shifts are full, heat map says no gaps in rota until 10 at the earliest but most gaps in rota are in the evenings. Colleague has turned down job as normal hours not available. Normal hours for colleague are two hours before the shop opens.
Hours could be put into checkouts for this colleague from when the shop opens but as checkouts is then over hours at that time the impact is that they will now get less overtime. The evening shifts will not be filled and the overtime for these shifts will be restricted too. The impact of all of this is that checkouts either get more overtime than the tablet allows at the expense of the rest of the store or they don't get the hours but this results in relief calls.
The stark reality is that we do need to support colleagues. We do need to go all out to try and help them adjust to changes but as a private company we can't afford to make up jobs. They can be offered jobs but they need to be not having a negative impact on the store. Adjusted tasks is fine, but it's unreasonable to turn down a job on hours when they are the hours that are needed for the dept and the store.
This is not a real situation I am talking about. It is a real situation I have seen though. Hours refused as it changed start time but old start time was hours before a dept opened.  Refused other areas until that dept opened too.

The use of the word Heat Map is weak and pathetic as the heat map is just a rota for the whole store, so it wouldn't take a mathematician to say 36 hours off the back door moved to checkouts and replace the backdoor maybe with 36 hours with a colleague off the checkouts, simples. As for the tablet ha ha when a company work on skeleton staff not even having the hours to cover holiday or sickness properly then you create your own problems. Why oh why should staff be held responsible for a company that is so egotistical and puts profit before safety !!

Horatiocain summed it up perfectly a job and a role are totally different it's just seems anyone on a full time contract is a target and for the original poster they should seek advice for Industrial injury a benefit thet can be claimed whilst still working is their symptoms have been worsened by the company avoiding giving colleagues the correct help.   

Nomad

To Members.

[/quote]  marks the end of the text you are quoting.  Do not remove it or insert your reply before it, doing so puts your words in their "mouth".
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

horatiocain

Here's is the critical thing when thinking of reasonable adjustments  it's the capabilities of the company that's the entirety of Tesco Stores LTD.
Can the company afford to make these changes  and they're making billions so the answer is almost always yes, the law is very clear on this point, if they can afford to and don't, that's discrimination by failure to make adjustment, were Tesco a little cornershop barely making rent then the argument is different, but as it stands we have to consider if Tesco can afford to make the adjustments, and they can.

So the next thing to consider is are the adjustments practical  precedent shows they are, not just at Tesco, but at many companies, at tribunal the question asked of anyone refusing is why could it be done in my store but not theirs, to which they have no excuse from a legal standpoint.

So lastly how do they implement it, in the example given above surrounding back door and checkout, simply continue to fund the new position from the discretionary budget all stores get for occupational health adjustments, or did nobody know these are all centrally funded?
All OH services and adjustments are funded from head office, as long as the managers know their job the costs doesn't even come from the store, until the point when someone on checkouts leaves and the new job replaced an old one.

Sisiak

My report from occupation health says no picking in warehouse.  I waiting for meeting with manager but I'm scared they will try to move me to shop, that I don't want.  Can they do this?
I've been working in warehouse 14 years.

[admin]Welcome, please do not post almost identical question in more than one thread. Thank you.[/admin]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk