Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:46PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Forced hour changes  (Read 3002 times)

Lucifer180

• VLH Supporter
Forced hour changes
« on: 12-11-19, 12:46PM »
Hey folks, apologies if this topic has been covered. I’m a newb and still trying to figure the site out.

I have an issue in work where I’m being told that I will be forced to change my hours if I don’t agree to the new hours on offer.
I changed my hours 4 weeks ago to suit the needs of the business, and in doing so it caused a lot of upheaval in my life as I look after my disabled mother. I told my manager that my availability was between 6am and 6pm but she insisted that I must work to 7pm 3 days a week. I reluctantly agreed as it was insinuated that I would have no choice but to change, now a new manager has taken over and is trying to get me to work to 8pm on these days. Once again the ‘Needs of the business’ has been thrown about and I’m being told that I will be forced to work these hours if I don’t agree. As of yet I haven’t been able to speak to a rep because he has been ill.
Can anyone advise me on my rights or what I can do to try to prevent this from happening again.

randomworker

Re: Forced hour changes
« Reply #1 on: 12-11-19, 01:02PM »
did you fill out an availability form?

Are you in a metro store?

Lucifer180

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 12-11-19, 01:31PM »
I work in a Tesco extra. I did an availability form last year. I had on it mon-fri 6 am -6pm. The new contract that I have has me working to 7pm 3 days a week and now they want to change that to 8pm 3 days a week.

randomworker

« Reply #3 on: 12-11-19, 03:04PM »
My personal view is I would have asked for a copy of my availiabilty form and told them that was the hours we agreed. If they choose to ignore it I would have asked for their decision in writing and then started a grievance procedure. If they still choose to ignore it then I would go to Acas.

go to ourtesco and get clued up on the grievance procedure

https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/people-policies/job-career/grievance-stores-office/

Don't know anything about reps as I have never joined union but a little googling gives u their contact number

https://www.usdaw.org.uk/Contact-Us

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #4 on: 12-11-19, 03:11PM »
Just keep saying no, did you sign a flexi contract if not let them get you another department if they think they can otherwise stick to your guns.

Needs of the business is not a phrase that allows them to do as they please especialy when its only 4 weks since they made you change your hours.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 12-11-19, 03:24PM »
Sounds like bullying to me.  Bullying is very serious, if I were you I'd tell them that you feel like you're being Bullied. 

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 12-11-19, 04:00PM »
Ask for a formal meeting (take a rep) and ask:-

1) the manager to explain why the needs of the business now are different to those described to you 4 weeks ago which was used to justify your previous change.

2)  Further ask were the business needs properly accessed 4 weeks ago and how a reasonable manager could not have foreseen whatever reason they give to question 1.

3) Ask If you agree to the most recent change what's stopping a third manager in a few weeks asking you to finish at 9pm.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #7 on: 12-11-19, 04:07PM »
As a carer, I believe you also have some protections against this type of thing, I vaguely remember reading it in some policy (unable to check right now or I would).

Long gone

« Reply #8 on: 12-11-19, 04:28PM »
Don’t let the bullying arse holes get you down, they know you have a responsibility of care for your mother yet still “force” you to change hours, they can’t force anyone to do anything, they just think they can. Contact ACAS and tell them your situation and mention your duty of care to your mum has to come before work and that you have already filled out the availability form to the best of your abilities to the hours you can possibly do. This company is a f****ng joke, you fill a form in saying you are available 6am- 6pm and they ask “ can you finish 7? Can you finish 8? Can you finish 9?

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 12-11-19, 04:55PM »
Just keep saying no and ask to see the business plan ..

Samuel137

« Reply #10 on: 12-11-19, 04:58PM »
I spoke to one of my mates who used to be a rep and he said that if they signed off your availability form last year and only changed your hours a few weeks ago plus you are a carer to your mum then the union will take your case as far as they can easily and win it for you and tesco wont have a leg to stand on.

Lucifer180

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 12-11-19, 05:54PM »
Thanks for the replies folks.

As things stand I have told my manager that I can’t do the new hours. She has told me that she will start formal proceedings that will force me to do them, so I’ve said that I will contest that. I’ll keep you all informed as to how it works out in the end.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 12-11-19, 06:46PM »
From a managers point of view your availability window is quite reasonable  a 12 hour that is now a 13 hour window is more than flexable in my opinion. What department are you if you dont mind me asking?

Twinkeltoes1

• Know All
« Reply #13 on: 12-11-19, 08:37PM »
Did you ask to see the case file for needs of the business, bet you there isnt even one!

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 12-11-19, 08:41PM »
are you the only one being told you must change your hours? if so, then it's unfair. i would take it further citing victimisation >:(

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 12-11-19, 10:24PM »
"As of yet I haven’t been able to speak to a rep because he has been ill.
Can anyone advise me on my rights or what I can do to try to prevent this from happening again."

You don't have to wait for your rep to come back off sick leave. Phone your USDAW area office and ask them for their advice, their contact number is on the union notice board, and also on your membership card, and enquire if they can arrange for another rep in your area to contact you to support you with this.

Are you registered as your mother's carer? If so, it should be noted by Tesco that you are.
« Last Edit: 12-11-19, 10:27PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

spacerman

« Reply #16 on: 13-11-19, 09:56AM »
Have you signed a new availability form, or an hour change form for the 7 pm finish?

If not I would write a letter to the SM stating the stress this situation is placing on you and your dependant, tell them you feel bullied into doing something with zero empathy from the management team with regards to your situation.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 13-11-19, 03:27PM »
Okay, I have had some experience of being in a similar situation.  You are feeling bullied, you are being bullied, make that clear.  Use the words "bullied and bullying" as often as you can. 

Managers are terrified of complaints of bullying and these words work wonders in difficult situations, as long as the complaints being made aren't frivolous, which yours doesn't seem to be.  I would also talk to the CAB, ACAS anyone you know who has legal training and make sure that they know you're talking to these people. 

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.  Stand your ground and push back.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 13-11-19, 03:56PM »
Yes why not cry rape at the same time, managers hate being accused of that as well. It's not bullying it's the business wanting to change hours and you unable for a very understandable reason.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 13-11-19, 04:14PM »
saying "it will be forced upon you" even though you've explained the valid reasons why you can't do it , is a form of bullying! >:(

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 13-11-19, 05:39PM »
Yes why not cry rape at the same time, managers hate being accused of that as well. It's not bullying it's the business wanting to change hours and you unable for a very understandable reason.

Oooo, bad choice of words there methinks  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #21 on: 13-11-19, 05:46PM »
Don't be silly Madness. It's the same old situation, New manager, usually a bit of an idiot,  walks in and wants to change things, whether they need changing or not.  The OP has already shown willing by agreeing to change their hours once, they have compromised and now they want more. 

I should imagine that this is causing the OP a great deal of stress and anxiety and I sincerely hope that they communicate this to the manager involved and the store manager too. 

Be reasonable, compromise when you can, give a little bit and ask for a little bit back when you need it but push back hard when the situation calls for such action.   

randomworker

« Reply #22 on: 13-11-19, 05:48PM »

The Managers should adhere to the hours that the person put down on the availability form and was agreed on. If they want to change them then by all means ask but if the person says no then that's the end of the matter.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #23 on: 13-11-19, 05:50PM »

It becomes bullying when they are told do it or else. The threat being acquiesce or lose your job {unspoken but there non the less}. I'm surprised you missed that.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #24 on: 13-11-19, 06:41PM »
Is there not a rule that your hours can only be changed every 6 months or year , I cant remember how long it was but I didnt think they could even try to change yours hours a few weeks/months after theyve already been changed ??