Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:46PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: It's six months deadline  (Read 4871 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
It's six months deadline
« on: 08-11-19, 06:24PM »
Well there you have it, this weekend marks six months from the May cull, and what do I see on the Tesco website ??? Stock control vacancies in my old store, all pretty much the hours we did, but Sunday's added, and split into 16 hour contracts over three or four days :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
Re: It's six months deadline
« Reply #1 on: 08-11-19, 06:45PM »
Look on the bright side, this has cost Tesco more money than if the restructuring didn't happen due to the unnecessary redundancy payments.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #2 on: 08-11-19, 07:33PM »
Its what i was saying while ago. All hours are reinstated but heavly split in more shifts.
Tesco will struggle to fill them.
Another funny thing is when you look at sslary, ' competitive' - must be c**p.

fatguy

« Reply #3 on: 08-11-19, 08:58PM »
It was on here I'm sure I saw it, someone commented on another post saying pretty much same thing their old store got hammered for stock control job losses then few months after the old store re-hired for nearly every hour what got previously lost on stock control . One guy in my old store said new filling format lasted all of 2 weeks gone back to how it was before Sept restructure.

randomworker

« Reply #4 on: 08-11-19, 11:16PM »
can you explain that last sentence regarding filling format last two weeks. What do you mean filling format?

fatguy

« Reply #5 on: 08-11-19, 11:31PM »
Metro store with this aparent new structure he said they tried it lasted few weeks then went back to old routines pre sept

randomworker

« Reply #6 on: 09-11-19, 12:20AM »
Did not think there is such a thing as a filling format to begin with.

Simply put in our metro store 25%-30% cut in staffing levels requires the people left to be more flexible and move between departments depending on customers and stock levels. We got our capping shelf’s fitted the last week before the cull and just recently all got headsets. So it’s impossible for us to ever go back to our old filling habits so I’m amazed that this persons store can operate the old way without it causing issues elsewhere in the store.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 09-11-19, 07:38AM »
They can do that if they rehired, if they didn't then you're right, it would cause issues elsewhere in store.

randomworker

« Reply #8 on: 09-11-19, 09:20AM »
Well I guess it’s up to the regional manager  to explain or justify any major differences between their metro stores based on sales and staffing levels.

It is curious to know how much leeway store managers get on increasing the payroll before someone higher up gets p*ssed off.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 09-11-19, 10:20AM »
My experience with this sort of thing  was when they hired externally for an SM to run a cat 4 fuel site, he was horrendously overspending his budget, but the store was still a shambles. What the area management team did was take the overtime budget from other stores in the group and allocate it to his store this went on for about 6 months, as a result of that, the other stores standards slipped, the SM of the fuelsite got caught stealing fuel so the SOM "invited him to resign". This was about 2 months before they got rid of deputies, that was the turning point for express and it's been going downhill ever since.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #10 on: 09-11-19, 11:33AM »
If it wasn't for the vile excuse of an SM still in situ at my old store, I would consider applying for the shifts, as they're quite cushty, and a month later request to drop the Sunday ;) I would also get reinstated as a rep, which would probably be immediately as there are no reps instore anymore, so I would very rarely be on the department during my remaining shifts.

But while that SM is still there, she would love telling me I didn't get the position as I was unsuitable for the role :(  :D :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 09-11-19, 11:35AM »
I've seen the above before. A store local to us using masses of the overtime budget and we had to suffer for it. It is nonsense. We wern't allowed to recruit to allow the metro staff potential positions. Not one of them in the area came to our store (it was 10 miles away and right across the city who would transfer). In that time we suffered massively unable to recruit.

fatguy

« Reply #12 on: 11-11-19, 02:33PM »
Did not think there is such a thing as a filling format to begin with.

Simply put in our metro store 25%-30% cut in staffing levels requires the people left to be more flexible and move between departments depending on customers and stock levels. We got our capping shelf’s fitted the last week before the cull and just recently all got headsets. So it’s impossible for us to ever go back to our old filling habits so I’m amazed that this persons store can operate the old way without it causing issues elsewhere in the store.
well oddly I'd has popped back in there and another member has confirmed where as new format split everywhere the nightly twilight team are being given there set aisle to fill in there shift time pre sept dont know who it's going because the new filling routines after sept they were leaving between 5-10 cages delevery every single day warehouse was on point of no return they hired agency workers who done nothing surprise surprise but that's what company wanted so heard that new staff in store said they were told theres no time for proper training shadow someone on shop floor lol

randomworker

« Reply #13 on: 11-11-19, 09:02PM »
Oh you learn as you go on the job now. If you have staff (top to bottom)  that work a certain way and can’t adapt to these changes then yes the store will reflect that. More than ever it will show up what stores are poorly managed.

In a ideal world these changes should be getting monitored and the stores that are performing well should be held up as a template. Any issues that these stores have found should be taken on board seriously and changes made if required.

However the stores that are not performing to the same standards should be addressed differently as in send in a trouble shooting team and make the managers more accountable.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 11-11-19, 11:05PM »
Well there you have it, this weekend marks six months from the May cull, and what do I see on the Tesco website ??? Stock control vacancies in my old store, all pretty much the hours we did, but Sunday's added, and split into 16 hour contracts over three or four days :-X

Fk the 16 hours. They should issue no contracts and just force more people to do overtime.

Long gone

« Reply #15 on: 12-11-19, 12:00AM »
People need to start working a LOT slower

randomworker

« Reply #16 on: 12-11-19, 12:44PM »
Managers need to start managing people and getting rid of the people who deliberately and constantly work slower 

jonty

• Know All
« Reply #17 on: 12-11-19, 02:06PM »
I was full time & took redundancy in May and would like to return to my branch as I'm not enjoying my current job.

Unfortunately there's currently not many hours in my store but in a nearby town they're offering 36.5 hours for festive colleagues night shift.

I assume its a temp role but it's surprised me that they're offering full time positions.

Long gone

« Reply #18 on: 13-11-19, 02:09AM »
Managers need to start managing people and getting rid of the people who deliberately and constantly work slower

There are no people left to get rid of.......that’s the point. Long gone are the days I work my arse off anymore literally running around the shop floor trying to get things done , I do what I can at my own pace and if management start to complain I shut them down with health and safety talk

randomworker

« Reply #19 on: 13-11-19, 11:55AM »
Work to whatever standard you wish thats your right. You took the personal decision to run around trying to get the job done and now have decided not too. If your work rate meets the requirement then no issues.

However if a Manager said “we don’t have anyone left” as an excuse for a poorly run store compared to a similar size store that’s performing much better then their job should be a risk.
« Last Edit: 13-11-19, 11:56AM by randomworker »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 13-11-19, 12:13PM »
That would be counter-productive if there is a resource issue though, work capability assessments are key to actually generate the requirements in the first place. This is something that hasn't been done since the restructuring.

randomworker

« Reply #21 on: 13-11-19, 12:18PM »
What’s counter productive?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 13-11-19, 12:45PM »
Sacking a manager/demoting if their reason for poor productive output is that there is no staff. Doing so won't resolve the underlying cause and would exacerbate the situation in the short term as now there is the problem of nobody being specifically accountable.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 13-11-19, 04:18PM »

There are no people left to get rid of.......that’s the point. Long gone are the days I work my arse off anymore literally running around the shop floor trying to get things done , I do what I can at my own pace and if management start to complain I shut them down with health and safety talk
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

randomworker

« Reply #24 on: 13-11-19, 05:12PM »
Sacking a manager/demoting if their reason for poor productive output is that there is no staff. Doing so won't resolve the underlying cause and would exacerbate the situation in the short term as now there is the problem of nobody being specifically accountable.

did I say sacking or demoted. There is ways to get a Manager to perform better before they get sacked. Your assuming the Manager has done nothing wrong but as I have already said if a store of similar size is performing much better than the store in trouble then it makes sense to maybe pick the brains of the other store to see how they manage the people and processes. I know of silly things that stores introduced for themselves which other stores did not but increased the time it took to work the order.