Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-19, 09:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8610
  • Latest: flo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62517
  • Total Topics: 1105
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day observance  (Read 1788 times)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
Do all our sites make provision at 11am for this to be observed by those staff and customers who wish to do so?

Fortunately, as a dot.com driver I can pull over in a quiet layby to pay my own respects.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

jack_cohens_shame

Re: Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day observance
« Reply #1 on: 08-11-19, 01:13PM »
It should be personal choice and not enforced by organisations that bring shops or other services to a standstill. People should also not turn their noses up at those who don't feel they need a specific time to quietly reflect. I reflect about many things and people gone every day in my own way and in my own time. Making a big show of these things cheapens it in my opinion. Let's face it, most companies that do enforce it only do so for cynical public relations motives.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 08-11-19, 02:55PM »
Sorry mate, you are sooo wrong in so many ways, the silence is to remember those who gave their lives.
If I can put this into context in one simple sentence it's just watch the respect paid by both Liverpool and Manchester city fans before the start of their game on Sunday.
Now that will be total respect

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 08-11-19, 03:03PM »
Given what the silence is for, shops and services stopping for two minutes really is not much to ask is it Jack ?
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 08-11-19, 03:14PM »
Hear hear

Whistleblower

« Reply #5 on: 08-11-19, 11:41PM »
their s probably ex tesco staff that have gave their life in numerous wars in the last 100 years,world war 2,korea ,borneo ,ireland .falklands and 2 gulf wars, the all country goes to a standstill for 2 minutes to remember,and nobody does it for profit or cynical motives,

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #6 on: 09-11-19, 10:29AM »
Remember in your own way, it's personal.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 09-11-19, 12:09PM »
A personal belief is just that. I have stood many times for the silence whilst some shoppers continue to shop, that is their choice. But I sometimes wonder would they walk on a prayer mat if it was in their way?? I doubt it very much as it would show them as blatantly disrespectful of another's culture and religion, yet they fail to understand that by refusing to spare 2 minutes a year to stand in silence, is an insult to all those who choose to :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

mister.t

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 09-11-19, 07:29PM »
My view is very strong on this matter. My late father was on the same ship, MV Vancouver City as a merchant man in the Atlantic and was at D-DAY plus one. If was was not for people like him and my late father-in-law who was a stoker on HMS King George V none of us would be hear today to say it's a personal choice. Stand too and be proud of such men and the many that never came back.
I say Nomad, go and wimper to thoes who show no respect. 

mister.t

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 09-11-19, 07:38PM »
We stop for two minutes at 11AM on the eleventh day of the eleventh month. I did not serve or carried on my duties and stood straight in front of my counter. Eyes forward to avoid customer eye contact. Sod them, they knew they would be in the wrong if they made any complaints.
As my dad said, fornicate them all via the colonel.

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 10-11-19, 12:08AM »
I always seem to be on self serve on remembrance Day, so go off to the side so no one tries to get me to do anything.

mixerman

« Reply #11 on: 10-11-19, 08:42PM »
attn,whistleblower,the Army never served in ireland,they served in Northern Ireland.

Tegai

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 10-11-19, 08:54PM »
They did serve in Ireland,

mixerman

« Reply #13 on: 10-11-19, 09:06PM »
Sorry Tegai, do you mean before the partition of Ireland ?

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 10-11-19, 10:13PM »
We stop for two minutes at 11AM on the eleventh day of the eleventh month. I did not serve or carried on my duties and stood straight in front of my counter. Eyes forward to avoid customer eye contact. Sod them, they knew they would be in the wrong if they made any complaints.
As my dad said, fornicate them all via the colonel.

I do this every day   :)

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #15 on: 12-11-19, 10:17AM »
https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/poppy-appeal-tin-stolen-tesco-17238084

Police are appealing for information after a poppy appeal tin was stolen from Tesco on Remembrance Sunday.

The collection tin, containing several hundred pounds, was stolen from Tesco Express in Bispham Village at around 12.35pm.

Police have released a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to in connection to the theft.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.