Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
14-12-19, 06:45PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8670
  • Latest: Clinton
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62888
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: XMAS eve/new years eve Hours  (Read 7155 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: XMAS eve/new years eve Hours
« Reply #25 on: 12-11-19, 09:22AM »
Not sure if they have been trained in other depts, will ask, but even if they have been, would they have to change hours of work as they would clearly be being asked/told/demanded to do that.
DFL

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #26 on: 12-11-19, 09:47AM »
Surely if shop is closed they can't work their own hours ?

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #27 on: 12-11-19, 10:26AM »
If shop closed then yes i agree they cant work their own hours, question is tho can they then be made to change to different hours which dont suit them. Management quite frankly made sure they had no holidays left to take, make it clear they arent getting holidays approved in december, all in it looks like an attempt to force the employee to be available in december for the store at any times management wants.

So again would you think employee would have to move hours outwith what their contract states if they dont want to or cant
DFL

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #28 on: 12-11-19, 06:30PM »
Are they a new employee ?  As they must have known dotcom dont deliver on xmas eve and should have pushed that point at holiday meeting . The dotcom management usually push for staff to take holiday or personal day on xmas eve as it means they dont have to cover it another day , it benefits them so it seems very strange that they wouldn't allow this person to to book it off . 

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #29 on: 12-11-19, 10:32PM »
If shop closed then yes i agree they cant work their own hours, question is tho can they then be made to change to different hours which dont suit them. Management quite frankly made sure they had no holidays left to take, make it clear they arent getting holidays approved in december, all in it looks like an attempt to force the employee to be available in december for the store at any times management wants.

So again would you think employee would have to move hours outwith what their contract states if they dont want to or cant

I mentioned before, the colleague can just say, they have plans and want to work their contract hours.  Im sure express fuel sites are open till 11pm on xmas eve,  and regular express stores are open until 1000, usually finish up at 1030pm.

We're all one company.  I'm sure the store you are in has a buddy express store , who struggle to cover the eves.  What a gesture that would be of solidarity.  It's time to get the PM and the union involved.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 12-11-19, 10:41PM »
ga in superstore or extra couldnt handle an express store ga's work or expectations

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #31 on: 13-11-19, 01:15PM »
Are they a new employee ?  As they must have known dotcom dont deliver on xmas eve and should have pushed that point at holiday meeting . The dotcom management usually push for staff to take holiday or personal day on xmas eve as it means they dont have to cover it another day , it benefits them so it seems very strange that they wouldn't allow this person to to book it off . 

The manager was apparently adamant at the time that no staff were being allowed to book any time off in december, so that was never pushed, exactly the opposite was the case
DFL

Long gone

« Reply #32 on: 13-11-19, 03:50PM »
ga in superstore or extra couldnt handle an express store ga's work or expectations

Working in express is easy in comparison to extra, in express you have basically zero management, in the extra store I had about 7 managers all giving me grief and all giving everyone a million jobs and expecting them to be done in an hour and then expecting staff to work over their hours for the jobs they didn’t manage to finish

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #33 on: 13-11-19, 04:16PM »
wouldn't want to even if i couldn't!!

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #34 on: 13-11-19, 05:25PM »
Administrator Comment Topic is "XMAS eve/new years eve Hours", not work load etc comparisons.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #35 on: 13-11-19, 05:56PM »
Sounds to me like they have been told no overtime and are trying to cover shifts. If the shop is shut and your shift falls in the time its shut policy was IIRC that you could simply take it unpaid use a holiday day or change your shift it was up to you.

Put in a grievance.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #36 on: 13-11-19, 06:23PM »

No, it's a 2 way street, the colleague does the hours they do, because of their commitments, and that's all they have to say, they have made arrangements, have commitments ( they don't have to say what) if the store is open for all their shift, they work that shift, that is their contracted hours. They offer to work shop floor or  wherever needed for that shift, if their department is closed, or they take the option as unpaid, as they have offered to support elsewhere but been unreasonably declined.

Colleagues in superstores or extras, whose routines drastically decline or cease during Christmas week, e.g. Stock controllers, should have been spoken to by now as to which department they have been pledged to support to work their part or full shift. Your manager should have done this during the management meeting of pledges??
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #37 on: 13-11-19, 09:33PM »
Excellent comments folks and very helpful
DFL

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #38 on: 13-11-19, 10:37PM »
Administrator Comment Deleted off topic.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #39 on: 14-11-19, 08:34PM »
Employee met with manager who wouldnt budge, offer was made to do a sunday shift (5 hrs) in return for having the 2 eves unpaid, that got refused by the manager and employee has been told just to do their normal 1800-2200 shift, however its been confirmed now store will close about 8. Comments on this/advice i can pass on would be welcome.

Oh and also iirc is there not a minimum shift length tesco need to pay as now employee will likely only have 2 x 2 hr shifts on these eves ?
DFL

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #40 on: 14-11-19, 08:40PM »
Stores can close at an earlier time and still have people working. ours closes at 7pm and will still have staff there until 10 on both xmas eve and new years.  I have closed my departments earlier and will just pick up the pieces on the 26th and the 2nd but other departments are running until 10.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #41 on: 14-11-19, 09:25PM »
This store in question wont be on till 10, employee has already been told 2000 hrs
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #42 on: 15-11-19, 06:36AM »
Employee met with manager who wouldnt budge, offer was made to do a sunday shift (5 hrs) in return for having the 2 eves unpaid, that got refused by the manager and employee has been told just to do their normal 1800-2200 shift, however its been confirmed now store will close about 8. Comments on this/advice i can pass on would be welcome.

Oh and also iirc is there not a minimum shift length tesco need to pay as now employee will likely only have 2 x 2 hr shifts on these eves ?
This store in question wont be on till 10, employee has already been told 2000 hrs

There should be no stand alone shift of less than 3 hours...however, as your colleague has already offered to take the whole shift as unpaid leave, and then they agreed for him to do his normal 4 hour shift, and now been told to to finish at 8 instead of ten, would it not be better to stay ignorant of that fact for the time being, and then if the colleague is happy to just do 2 hours, stay ignorant, but if not, to bring this ruling (brought to his attention by the union  ;))to the attention of that manager the day before, suggest an alternative of four hours that is suitable for him, refusing any other suggested shift as arrangements already made at home, and too short a notice. Chances are, they'll accept any shift he offers as they'll be all hands most of the day!

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #43 on: 15-11-19, 08:34AM »
Lucgeo, yes ignorance of that would likely be best, I've said to my colleague to raise a grievance direct to the store manager for another point that came from the meeting they had, and that is that manager refused to allow unpaid or holidays to be booked (or moved) claiming "thats the way we work", i do know tho there is another employee in the same department that has had a holiday approved for one such day, so basically 1 rule for 1 but a different rule for this colleague
DFL

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #44 on: 15-11-19, 01:32PM »
Given the choice EVERYONE would ask for the 23rd 24th off.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #45 on: 15-11-19, 02:55PM »
Of course they likely would but a manager should not claim its a blanket rule and then give someone else it anyway
DFL

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #46 on: 15-11-19, 05:36PM »
Our manager has TOLD us what our personal day Is. Regarding Xmas Eve,I can't come in at 4pm. I can't expect my kids to be put to bed at 3pm.
Your personal day is your choice tell them go fornicate them selves ..
exactly. YOU choose your personal day any day of the year! see a rep!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 15-11-19, 05:44PM »
Of course they likely would but a manager should not claim its a blanket rule and then give someone else it anyway

Was the person awarded the time off, after your friend's request or before?? If before, then the dept /store will have a lower % allocation over the Christmas period for holidays. If after, then grievance. Was the blanket ban announced before the person was awarded time off or after?? Although a blanket ban shouldn't be, it could be resulting as people off on holiday, so nobody else can book?? Again if after, grievance.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #48 on: 15-11-19, 08:02PM »
I'm not sure if other member got it approved before my friend asked however its definite that the manager said no one gets off in December, did the same last year but had to renege on it for 1 person as someone else who was given responsibility at the time for doing the Xmas hours had already signed it in the managers absence. So this "ban" was announced last year.

So yeah me thinks a grievance to store manager is appropriate.
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #49 on: 17-11-19, 09:17AM »
Sounds to me like they have been told no overtime and are trying to cover shifts. If the shop is shut and your shift falls in the time its shut policy was IIRC that you could simply take it unpaid use a holiday day or change your shift it was up to you.

Put in a grievance.
have you any idea which policy its in ?

Thanks.
DFL