Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-19, 10:41AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8610
  • Latest: flo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62518
  • Total Topics: 1105
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: XMAS eve/new years eve Hours  (Read 6497 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
XMAS eve/new years eve Hours
« on: 08-11-19, 10:57AM »
Manager trying to force a non flexi worker to change their shifts from hours they normally do to other hours which the employee doesn't want to do, Hours the employee normally does are at times over the festive when the shop is being closed, ie new years eve, xmas eve etc. Employee wants to just take the time unpaid and even tho has been allowed every year under a previous manager, new manager says its not allowed. Also holiday days can't be taken as new manager had everyone prebook ALL their holidays in advance.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.
DFL

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
Re: XMAS eve/new years eve Hours
« Reply #1 on: 08-11-19, 11:02AM »
fk that

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #2 on: 08-11-19, 11:06AM »
If it’s a contracted day that falls on one of the festive bank holiday days then they will use a bank holiday entitlement day.

If it doesn’t and they just want unpaid time off, then that can’t happen unless previously authorised by store manager via holiday planning meeting and this exception identified and planned!

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 08-11-19, 11:21AM »
Book one off with the store manager go sick the next. Then say you never asked for last year and ask for year 3.  Ohh great year 4 and year 5 christmas don't fall on contract days. :)  :-X

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #4 on: 08-11-19, 12:48PM »
Its xmas and new years eve, the employee is contracted in those evenings but the store is closed at the times the employee would normally work, the employee did want to hold holidays back to use but management refused to allow it (refusing time off during festive periods). My point kinda is that the employee doesn't have to change shifts especially if it doesnt work for the employee just because management themselves have made it impossible to keep days back for it
DFL

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 08-11-19, 03:03PM »
I work nights and Xmas Eve falls on my normal night. Apparently they are trying to force us to do a 4pm till 11.30. well I for 1 can't do that. I've got disabled dependants,that why i work nights. Can they FORCE me to work that shift? If they can then I'm "ringing in"

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #6 on: 08-11-19, 03:26PM »
That's what I'm asking here, surely the employee can't be forced, if their contract specifies specific shifts then it isn't the employees fault the store is closed !
DFL

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 08-11-19, 07:41PM »
I work nights and Xmas Eve falls on my normal night. Apparently they are trying to force us to do a 4pm till 11.30. well I for 1 can't do that. I've got disabled dependants,that why i work nights. Can they FORCE me to work that shift? If they can then I'm "ringing in"
Again it depends on your bank holiday days remaining.  Usually nights have the eve plus Xmas day as bank holiday days; days are Xmas day and Boxing Day, so you will have a BH allowance time have that time off.

If the store is wanting people in, that’s fine, but they can’t force you to work it, instead you will use the allowance to ‘pay’ for these days

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #8 on: 08-11-19, 07:42PM »
That's what I'm asking here, surely the employee can't be forced, if their contract specifies specific shifts then it isn't the employees fault the store is closed !
You should know there are normal holiday allowance, plus bank holiday allowance to use up over the year. If you have used up both then you need to work the time, if not you use, in relation to the festive period, time from your bank holiday allowance

Slimjim51

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 09-11-19, 12:13AM »
Dfl, are you not allowed time off under the timevoff for dependants? Night shift are supposed to vote on whether they want Xmas Eve or New year's Eve off .Check with usdaw.
Glad to be gone!

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 09-11-19, 07:24AM »
The days in question cant be filled for the employee by using any bh entitlement or holidays because the xmas eve and new years eve arent classed as bh also the manager made everyone book all their holidays in advance but also wouldnt allow any to be booked in december
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #11 on: 09-11-19, 07:30AM »
Oh, and just found that I believe the store is going to be open till late evening on those days but the employee is a driver and that dept isn't vans aren't delivering, employee has already said will do their own contracted shift time even if its in another dept but manager is being difficult and saying that they have to come in on another day or time, sorry but I think employee doesn't have to change any times as not their fault that
1) their dept isn't delivering
2) they have contracted shifts for a reason
3) no holidays left as management had the staff book them all.
4) even if not all booked management won't allow to book any in December
DFL

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 09-11-19, 07:51AM »
If the store is open for their whole shift, then they just work their shift on another dept.

If the store is open part of their shift, then they would be asked to accommodate by working earlier on that day....not to change days/shifts. If they were unable to accommodate due to other commitments/arrangements, then they could arrange to either take as unpaid, holiday, shift swap or work time back. This should have all been discussed when booking personal day, which incidentally was always kept back in my old store, to use by the drivers and .com staff as no picks or deliveries Christmas Eve.

There are no freeze weeks, and December holidays are at discretion of SM, based on the % of store colleagues holidays booked in December. It used to state in the handbook that your personal day was to take during December, I don't know if that is still the case in the policies online, but I'm pretty sure it would still state "no freeze weeks"  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #13 on: 09-11-19, 01:41PM »
Our manager has TOLD us what our personal day Is. Regarding Xmas Eve,I can't come in at 4pm. I can't expect my kids to be put to bed at 3pm.

T2019sackallmanagers

« Reply #14 on: 09-11-19, 03:43PM »
Just go sick. They expected us a few years back to work 10-7am (nights) into Xmas eve, then come back in at 4-12pm Xmas eve. The same idiot manager then expected us back in at 10pm on boxing day! This company and the way it is run beggar's belief. They assume everyone is a sad act that lives and breathes for this terrible company.
Can't wait to see it go down the pan and it's already on its way to the sewers.

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 10-11-19, 08:28PM »
Its xmas and new years eve, the employee is contracted in those evenings but the store is closed at the times the employee would normally work, the employee did want to hold holidays back to use but management refused to allow it (refusing time off during festive periods). My point kinda is that the employee doesn't have to change shifts especially if it doesnt work for the employee just because management themselves have made it impossible to keep days back for it

Plenty Express stores open.  The colleague can go and fulfil their contract at one of those stores and work till 10 or 11pm. 

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 10-11-19, 08:37PM »
Hadn't read all the comments.  Solution is there.  Work in a different dept.  Contact PM to confirm its fine. 

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 10-11-19, 10:17PM »

It's like when they ask you in early for the Stock take fk that shift ring in.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 10-11-19, 11:31PM »
I'm not signing the form that's for sure. Also they've got us working a 10/7 on the 23rd so that's less than the legal 11 hrs between shifts.

Long gone

« Reply #19 on: 11-11-19, 12:54AM »
I'm not signing the form that's for sure. Also they've got us working a 10/7 on the 23rd so that's less than the legal 11 hrs between shifts.

11 hours between shifts were not followed in our store. We had people do 2-11 shifts and then they would be back in at 6 am the next morning

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 11-11-19, 04:58AM »
Our manager has TOLD us what our personal day Is. Regarding Xmas Eve,I can't come in at 4pm. I can't expect my kids to be put to bed at 3pm.
Your personal day is your choice tell them go fornicate them selves ..

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #21 on: 11-11-19, 07:39AM »
Personal day I think is the one that they tell you that has to be used on the 2nd January in Scotland (correct me if wrong), I think in short though the employee who spoke to me regarding this hassle from dictating manager is likely to say "sorry but I'll work in another dept on those days" as I don't think manager can force the change upon the employee.
DFL

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 11-11-19, 01:14PM »
If you join us on or before 30th September in a particular holiday year, then you will be able to take an additional paid day off called a ‘Personal Day’ at any point in the year. This additional day is given on the basis that you complete at least six months’ service within that holiday year.

If you particularly want to take the day between 1st December and 31st January then you can do so, but otherwise the day can be agreed with your manager.

If you work in Scotland, or on the Isle of Man you can use your Personal Day on the ninth bank holiday if you are normally scheduled to work the day and you do not want to do so.

This day is paid as one day’s contractual pay and must be taken and not paid in lieu. The only exception is for colleagues on maternity, adoption or shared parental leave who will have the day carried over to the following year if they have not taken it by 31st March.

Colleagues who are on prolonged absence will not be paid in lieu or have the day carried over to the new holiday year.

If you leave Tesco before the 30th September in a particular year (and have therefore not completed six months’ service within that holiday year) and you have already taken your Personal Day(s), the amount of money equal to this extra day(s) will be deducted from your final pay.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #23 on: 11-11-19, 04:09PM »
So in summary, would this employee have to change shift (they aren't a flexi worker) or can they basically say to the manager "no mate sorry I can't, I will just work the shift in another dept".
DFL

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #24 on: 12-11-19, 08:49AM »
Are they trained? Does another dept have unfilled hours that are available?