Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-19, 11:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8610
  • Latest: flo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62518
  • Total Topics: 1105
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 179
Total: 185

Author Topic: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept  (Read 4475 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: team managers 80% floor 20% on dept
« Reply #25 on: 08-11-19, 05:59PM »
TUT TUT.....Nowanexmanger,

A better paid position does not make you anyone's better, and vice versa. Seriously, I thought you were "better" than that  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #26 on: 09-11-19, 03:33AM »
With new phones etc a manager is expected to spend less time in an office. I don't think there is anything in writing though about where the time needs to be spent. I have however seen in the new metro manager role pack that it states they should not fill shelves. It does list all new tasks and they are extensive.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #27 on: 09-11-19, 11:39AM »
The phones are useless for any real work. Yes you can look at figures etc but cant print anything off to show your team and half the time they lose connection.

Cazcat

« Reply #28 on: 09-11-19, 06:19PM »
Maybe a bit of confusion with the new shift leaders job ?.In our store, a metro, they are told that 75% of their day has to be spent filling.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 10-11-19, 11:04AM »
Shift leaders are expected to fill and I think 75% has been mentioned. The manager role is what I was talking about. I forget the exact title of the new manager role in metro stores but it is up to them to ensure all aspects of the store are functioning, the job is huge and as such they need not to be filling, it is stated. The 25% that shift leaders have for admin side of role should be used on schedules, filling overtime, signing S&L books etc.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #30 on: 10-11-19, 11:24AM »
It seems there's a significant disparity in responsibilities between Express and Metro Shift Leaders, Shift Leaders are 90% of the time the duty manager in Express, the only position above them is Store Manager. In Metro it sounds like there's a further devolvement of responsibilities.

TWD

« Reply #31 on: 10-11-19, 11:58PM »
I was a Team manager for 3 years, first nights then bakery. It's different in each store but in mine we were worked hard by lead team, who subsequently did next to nothing. Turnover was a joke, and it was without a doubt the worst job I've done, I actually enjoyed working for Tesco as a CA and TL before that. Don't regret it though as it gave me some skills which helped me get the job I'm in now and appreciate how much better it is. Never looked back after leaving Tesco and retail in general, Public sector for the win.

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #32 on: 11-11-19, 12:07AM »
One of our managers fills for 98% of his shift. Not bad money for filling shelves

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #33 on: 11-11-19, 01:21PM »
Grocery managers tend to fill a high percentage of shifts, won't be the same in all stores but the five I have worked in this has been the case. They are on shop floor, with team, spotting trade opportunities.
Same sort of thing with fresh.
Stock/admin have a higher level of desk work to be done.
Services and checkouts would probably support the front end more than shop floor.
I notice that the new structure in metro stores is divided up into Replenishment, admin and service. This is interesting and could it be a hint of where things are going in the future?