Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-19, 09:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8610
  • Latest: flo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62517
  • Total Topics: 1105
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Staff searches and no security  (Read 2675 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Staff searches and no security
« on: 10-10-19, 05:49PM »
For discussion, has everyone ever known managers to be randomly staff searched and not just shop floor staff, I've never seen it and yet staff searches to my knowledge are meant to be random and fair.

Secondly I know someone who was in a store and saw £200 worth of merchandise go right out the door, alarms going off but no security nor staff to stop them getting away with it.

Begs question why staff searches at all when there is way more likely every day going out from external thieving and tesco do nothing to stop that.
DFL

Katarn2000

Re: Staff searches and no security
« Reply #1 on: 10-10-19, 05:55PM »
I've carried out more staff searches than I can count. About 10% or so were on managers. Even did a store manager once. In two stores I worked in that was the norm. Probably don't see managers getting selected much because they would tend to be grabbed when sitting in an office or something.

NightManager

« Reply #2 on: 10-10-19, 06:32PM »
I have been searched, including car searches, as a Lead Manager many times over the years...

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 10-10-19, 06:44PM »
And how many times have you seen a merchandising rep searched?? Every time we had hits of high value on shrink, the staff copped it, yet the reps came and went, in and out the warehouse, and no one blinked an eye!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 10-10-19, 08:21PM »
Random search button to press for everyone in distribution

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 11-10-19, 07:28AM »
We used to have that button in an extra I worked in, and a staff door we had to come in and go out of. That door can no longer be manned, no funds to do so. Hours for this were cut years ago.
Staff searches should be 10% of head count and should include reps, cleaners, contractors but often don't. We had a refit in an extra I once worked in and a workman was caught taking things from the electrical warehouse.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #6 on: 11-10-19, 09:24AM »
Part point of my post being why continue with these searches at all when non employees in many stores can come in, take whatever they like and walk out without paying totally unchallenged as no security to stop them and in many cases not enough staff to do so either, and even if staff wanted to act they have to do so at their own risk. Just seems nuts to me
DFL

Ravvers

• Over thirty four years in Tesco
« Reply #7 on: 11-10-19, 05:13PM »
In all the years I worked at Tesco - & it was a lot of years - I've seen an assistant store manager get nicked for stealing stock from the store as well - believe or not - a security guy & I'm afraid to say loads of cleaners plus a few from checkouts & the kiosk - we even caught a guy from the stock take contractors nicking stuff from the H&b lock up !

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #8 on: 13-10-19, 03:52PM »
For discussion, has everyone ever known managers to be randomly staff searched and not just shop floor staff, I've never seen it and yet staff searches to my knowledge are meant to be random and fair.

Secondly I know someone who was in a store and saw £200 worth of merchandise go right out the door, alarms going off but no security nor staff to stop them getting away with it.

Begs question why staff searches at all when there is way more likely every day going out from external thieving and tesco do nothing to stop that.

I personaly have done most of our managers including the store manager and he even said it was the first time he had been done and was well chuffed.

As for the stuff going out of the door, you should aquaint yourself with current policy regarding that, Security and GAs are specificaly told not to intervene if someone is stealing over telling the duty manager and they are certainly not supposed to challenge anyone.

Regardless of your opinion that is the policy and if you do anything other than follow it then you are a fool.
« Last Edit: 13-10-19, 03:54PM by forrestgimp »

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 13-10-19, 06:06PM »
A previous DC manager of ours once got a trailer of stock delivered to their house, allegedly. If people want to steal, they will