Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
29-01-20, 02:32PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8851
  • Latest: pm1990
Stats
  • Total Posts: 63879
  • Total Topics: 1131
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 968
  • (20-01-20, 08:15PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Staff searches and no security  (Read 7734 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Staff searches and no security
« on: 10-10-19, 05:49PM »
For discussion, has everyone ever known managers to be randomly staff searched and not just shop floor staff, I've never seen it and yet staff searches to my knowledge are meant to be random and fair.

Secondly I know someone who was in a store and saw £200 worth of merchandise go right out the door, alarms going off but no security nor staff to stop them getting away with it.

Begs question why staff searches at all when there is way more likely every day going out from external thieving and tesco do nothing to stop that.
DFL

Katarn2000

Re: Staff searches and no security
« Reply #1 on: 10-10-19, 05:55PM »
I've carried out more staff searches than I can count. About 10% or so were on managers. Even did a store manager once. In two stores I worked in that was the norm. Probably don't see managers getting selected much because they would tend to be grabbed when sitting in an office or something.

NightManager

« Reply #2 on: 10-10-19, 06:32PM »
I have been searched, including car searches, as a Lead Manager many times over the years...

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 10-10-19, 06:44PM »
And how many times have you seen a merchandising rep searched?? Every time we had hits of high value on shrink, the staff copped it, yet the reps came and went, in and out the warehouse, and no one blinked an eye!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 10-10-19, 08:21PM »
Random search button to press for everyone in distribution

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 11-10-19, 07:28AM »
We used to have that button in an extra I worked in, and a staff door we had to come in and go out of. That door can no longer be manned, no funds to do so. Hours for this were cut years ago.
Staff searches should be 10% of head count and should include reps, cleaners, contractors but often don't. We had a refit in an extra I once worked in and a workman was caught taking things from the electrical warehouse.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #6 on: 11-10-19, 09:24AM »
Part point of my post being why continue with these searches at all when non employees in many stores can come in, take whatever they like and walk out without paying totally unchallenged as no security to stop them and in many cases not enough staff to do so either, and even if staff wanted to act they have to do so at their own risk. Just seems nuts to me
DFL

Ravvers

• Over thirty four years in Tesco
« Reply #7 on: 11-10-19, 05:13PM »
In all the years I worked at Tesco - & it was a lot of years - I've seen an assistant store manager get nicked for stealing stock from the store as well - believe or not - a security guy & I'm afraid to say loads of cleaners plus a few from checkouts & the kiosk - we even caught a guy from the stock take contractors nicking stuff from the H&b lock up !

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #8 on: 13-10-19, 03:52PM »
For discussion, has everyone ever known managers to be randomly staff searched and not just shop floor staff, I've never seen it and yet staff searches to my knowledge are meant to be random and fair.

Secondly I know someone who was in a store and saw £200 worth of merchandise go right out the door, alarms going off but no security nor staff to stop them getting away with it.

Begs question why staff searches at all when there is way more likely every day going out from external thieving and tesco do nothing to stop that.

I personaly have done most of our managers including the store manager and he even said it was the first time he had been done and was well chuffed.

As for the stuff going out of the door, you should aquaint yourself with current policy regarding that, Security and GAs are specificaly told not to intervene if someone is stealing over telling the duty manager and they are certainly not supposed to challenge anyone.

Regardless of your opinion that is the policy and if you do anything other than follow it then you are a fool.
« Last Edit: 13-10-19, 03:54PM by forrestgimp »

grim up north

• Know All
« Reply #9 on: 13-10-19, 06:06PM »
A previous DC manager of ours once got a trailer of stock delivered to their house, allegedly. If people want to steal, they will

Moomin2

« Reply #10 on: 24-12-19, 03:51AM »
I'm a grocery manager and have been searched so many times, everyone gets searched in our store, the cleaners, agency, technitions, store manager and even the visiting SD

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 24-12-19, 08:01AM »
Everyone in my branch gets searched, regardless of their level.

Cleaner1

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 24-12-19, 09:32AM »
I'm a grocery manager and have been searched so many times, everyone gets searched in our store, the cleaners, agency, technitions, store manager and even the visiting SD

Haha good luck with the SD.

Long gone

« Reply #13 on: 24-12-19, 01:09PM »

Lies , I’ve worked in 3 stores and not once has any level of management been staff searched, in the stores I worked in too it was always the same people that were searched and very rarely anyone else

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 24-12-19, 04:07PM »
never seen a manager searched in our store but that doesnt mean they havent been

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 24-12-19, 05:08PM »
In Express I've been searched as a Shift Leader and the SM has been searched before.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 24-12-19, 05:52PM »

Lies , I’ve worked in 3 stores and not once has any level of management been staff searched, in the stores I worked in too it was always the same people that were searched and very rarely anyone else

Our Sm has as have a lot of team managers I know this because I chose them for the searches.

Long gone

« Reply #17 on: 25-12-19, 02:33PM »
Our Sm has as have a lot of team managers I know this because I chose them for the searches.
Manager searches entail a manager walking in the room and giving a signature, they could have taken £300 out of the till but because they are management no one would care and they don’t even search . A GA is almost strip searched and given a written warning for carrying chewing gum in their pockets which management accuse staff member of stealing. Pathetic !

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 27-12-19, 04:35PM »
I have seen managers sacked for theft, a store manager too once. Managers do get staff searched too. One manager was recently pulled up by the security manager for the group for not ensuring EPW's were stored away in the correct place.
Just because you have not seen it that does not mean that it never happens.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #19 on: 07-01-20, 06:07AM »
Me too, have also seen a CA sacked fro theft that was discovered by the staff searches.

They are not a Tesco thing they are something a lot of companys do.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 11-01-20, 03:49PM »

I personaly have done most of our managers including the store manager and he even said it was the first time he had been done and was well chuffed.

As for the stuff going out of the door, you should aquaint yourself with current policy regarding that, Security and GAs are specificaly told not to intervene if someone is stealing over telling the duty manager and they are certainly not supposed to challenge anyone.

Regardless of your opinion that is the policy and if you do anything other than follow it then you are a fool.

Could not agree more. If Tesco want someone to physically stop shoplifters, they can pay for a security guard. I will flag up any potential issues I see with management. No more, no less.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 12-01-20, 10:47AM »
Harsh reality is that theft happens. Some of it by customers but not all of it.
We have lockers, if we did not have to worry about theft from fellow colleagues we would not need lockers. We have all known if people who have had a coat taken or money or other things taken from bags not put in lockers.
If we need lockers to protect our personal possessions from fellow colleagues it is reasonable to assume that they will steal from the company too.
It's a simple fact, but then there are routines not followed too. When we cut corners as it makes the job easier or quicker the result is potential unknown loss.
Customer theft now tends to have drifted towards self service or scan as you shop. Do we take this seriously in store, do we man these tills correctly? We then do have regular shop lifting but the biggest loss is due to colleagues.
The security guards in stores are no longer placed in stores with stock issues. They are now placed in stores that are more vulnerable to threats to colleagues. Personal safety to colleagues is rated higher than theft. There will be someone with a clever reply to this to say how it comes back to us working for a bad company and stores to say they suffer threats but no security. If you do suffer threats but have no security there must be a store that suffers more.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #22 on: 12-01-20, 11:36AM »
WHAT!!! " if you do suffer threats but have no security, there must be a store that suffers more" and who gets to play God with that decision ???
If any store or colleague is being continually targeted or threatened, then that SM has a duty of care to ensure all staff are adequately protected with appropriate means put in place. Not to just expect their staff to man up, because other stores are getting a higher percentage of threats.  :-X
« Last Edit: 12-01-20, 11:37AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #23 on: 12-01-20, 07:33PM »

Could not agree more. If Tesco want someone to physically stop shoplifters, they can pay for a security guard. I will flag up any potential issues I see with management. No more, no less.

A bloke in our store tried to physically prevent a shoplifter from leaving recently, he ended up with a final warning for his trouble. I must admit in my younger days to wading in to deal with shoplifters but not anymore, what is the point of risking a thrashing or much worse to stop someone nicking a few packs of rump steak.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #24 on: 12-01-20, 07:56PM »
No one is according to policy allowed to intervene to stop a shoplifter above asking them for the stuff back, You are not to get in their way if they are leaving and you are not to stop anyone who wants to leave with the goods. What you are supposed to do is if they give you the stuff back allow them to leave and report it on incedent reporting if they decide to steal the stuff you phone 101 and report it to the police as well as incedent reporting.

Either way they do not get told they are banned because again policy dictates we no longer ban people at store level that is a discusion between the SM and Head Office who decide they dont want to ban them on the off chance they may pay for some stuff some day.

Now we all know the Rambos and Rambettes who want to go all nuclear and cant understand why we as security dont because 'i would' well good for you have at em and I hope you get to keep your job when the brown stuff hits the fan. Also all this about where is security when someone is getting harassed or threatened..... Nope sorry we are expressly forbidden to get involved we are not and never have been body guards thats not to say we will allow anyone to get beaten up but the first duty of care is the Duty Manager it is their sole responsibility to deal with those incidents.

I know some of you will be up in arms about what I have written and will have your own ideas of what should and shouldnt happen and thats cool but you do not pay my wages or make the rules up and I think I would rather go with my employers rules thanks.

I have said all this before on here but for whatever reason people still think security guards are front end body guards or should leap on any suspected shoplifter and beat them up while taking back the 10 quid dvd or joint of beef they have secreted about their person while they shiver in the background.

Manager searches entail a manager walking in the room and giving a signature, they could have taken £300 out of the till but because they are management no one would care and they don’t even search . A GA is almost strip searched and given a written warning for carrying chewing gum in their pockets which management accuse staff member of stealing. Pathetic !

Not in our store it doesnt and I get the feeling you dont have a clue what goes on other than when you have your own search.
« Last Edit: 12-01-20, 07:58PM by forrestgimp »