Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 12:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61624
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 107
Total: 112

Author Topic: New club card  (Read 4882 times)

Baker1961

• VLH Supporter
New club card
« on: 08-10-19, 02:26PM »
Just read tesco are going to have a new clubcard scheme,  you pay £7.99 a month and in return you get 10% discount of your shop plus other perks like double data on your phone ,I wonder if we are allowed to have it as staff members ,because one shop and you have your money back

Siwel123

Re: New club card
« Reply #1 on: 08-10-19, 02:42PM »
Staff already get the discount on shops though? Plus 20% on f&f, plus discounts of pet insurance, tesco mobile etc so i don't really see why many staff would pay for it when it doesn't offer them much extra

Baker1961

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 08-10-19, 02:46PM »
I was thinking we would get 20% shopping and  30 % f and f 

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #3 on: 08-10-19, 03:04PM »
cant see it to be honest.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 08-10-19, 03:45PM »
Watch the next pay leaflet that comes out include the 7.99 not paid by staff for their 10% discount included as a benefit.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 08-10-19, 05:55PM »
It's a red herring anyway, Asda, Lidl and Aldi are cheaper even if you take into account the discount lol.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #6 on: 08-10-19, 05:59PM »
Just read tesco are going to have a new clubcard scheme,  you pay £7.99 a month and in return you get 10% discount of your shop plus other perks like double data on your phone ,I wonder if we are allowed to have it as staff members ,because one shop and you have your money back

We wont get it for 20% off but its not a bad idea from tesco, will encourage shoppers to do more shopping if they get 10% off all the time.

Nattienat

« Reply #7 on: 08-10-19, 06:36PM »
We will get 30 % off clothing 20% off go cook range and fox & ivy range , if you do 2 shops in a month over £70 then you'll get an extra 10% off . That unit self a saving . £7.99 a month is great if you only shop at Tesco . There are other savings but I can't remember them .

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 08-10-19, 06:36PM »
I was waiting for someone to start a thread on this.
Problem with it so far is the complete "secrecy" around it - it's either top secret or it's a work in progress and even the team developing it don't know the full details.

There are more details on our tesco - M**** Saving Ex**** also has a topic on it - but as I say the details are a bit vague.

I had read in a newspaper article (one of these random local newspaper articles that gets brought up on a Google search) that it was 10% off all your shopping - which clearly means you'd only need to spend more than £80 a month at Tesco to benefit.

But OurTesco does expand on it slightly.

New Clubcard Plus gives subscribers up to four great benefits, for only £7.99 a month;
10% off two big shops in-store (exclusions and limits apply)
10% off selected Tesco Brands in-store; F&F, Fred & Flo, Go Cook, Tesco Pet, Carousel and Fox & Ivy, all the time
Double data from Tesco Mobile (conditions apply)
No foreign exchange fees abroad credit card from Tesco Bank (Over 18s and UK residents only, subject to status. Other fees may apply)

Now what isn't clear is the exclusions and limits on the two big shops a month.
It also states "up to four great benefits" - does this mean you have to pick and choose which ones? And how many - is it 1,2,3 or 4?

Someone stated the Credit Card comes with an APR of 37% - that's assuming you apply and get accepted!!
But as most of us work for Tesco can we even afford to go abroad?

Within the comments section, it does specify that these discounts are cumulative in addition to our staff discount. The question was asked about Double Discount events - might find these disappear after this year!!

So, basically - is it worth it?

Depends on those exclusions and limits - chances are the exclusions will be all the usual ones plus probably alcohol. Might even be sneaky and exclude anything on special offer!!

Clearly, if you would normally spend more than £80 on allowable items over two shops within a month, then the 10% discount would cover your £7.99 fee.

I can't see that the limits will be that high - surely they won't even allow the limits to be £150 - because that would be a £15 discount to a customer paying £7.99.

I really cannot see the merit of the programme.

Of course, there's always the possibilty that the "opening offer" might seem generous - but like most things will soon get trimmed back - the monthly fee will increase - and it will start to "pay for itself"

The only way it can work for Tesco as a business is if the customer is so enticed by Tesco that they do all their other shops in a month in tesco (not getting the 10% discount) - in that case they have "bought the loyalty" of a customer.

Anyone else have any constructive comments?

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 08-10-19, 06:39PM »
We will get 30 % off clothing 20% off go cook range and fox & ivy range , if you do 2 shops in a month over £70 then you'll get an extra 10% off . That unit self a saving . £7.99 a month is great if you only shop at Tesco . There are other savings but I can't remember them .

Where did you see the info about £70 shops?

« Reply #10 on: 08-10-19, 07:09PM »
barafear

It most definitely isn't top secret or a work in progress. It was announced on Y**mer and OurT***o  02/03 October.

Nattienat

« Reply #11 on: 08-10-19, 07:17PM »
It was mentioned in our forum meeting today .

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 08-10-19, 07:35PM »
Was raised in our forum today and got the normal "we don't know" answer

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 08-10-19, 07:42PM »
Problem with it so far is the complete "secrecy" around it - it's either top secret or it's a work in progress and even the team developing it don't know the full details.

There are more details on our tesco - M**** Saving Ex**** also has a topic on it - but as I say the details are a bit vague.

I had read in a newspaper article (one of these random local newspaper articles that gets brought up on a Google search) that it was 10% off all your shopping - which clearly means you'd only need to spend more than £80 a month at Tesco to benefit.

New Clubcard Plus gives subscribers up to four great benefits, for only £7.99 a month;
10% off selected Tesco Brands in-store; F&F, Fred & Flo, Go Cook, Tesco Pet, Carousel and Fox & Ivy, all the time
No foreign exchange fees abroad credit card from Tesco Bank (Over 18s and UK residents only, subject to status. Other fees may apply)

It also states "up to four great benefits" - does this mean you have to pick and choose which ones? And how many - is it 1,2,3 or 4?

Someone stated the Credit Card comes with an APR of 37% - that's assuming you apply and get accepted!!

Within the comments section, it does specify that these discounts are cumulative in addition to our staff discount. The question was asked about Double Discount events - might find these disappear after this year!!

Depends on those exclusions and limits - chances are the exclusions will be all the usual ones plus probably alcohol. Might even be sneaky and exclude anything on special offer!!

Clearly, if you would normally spend more than £80 on allowable items over two shops within a month, then the 10% discount would cover your £7.99 fee.

I can't see that the limits will be that high - surely they won't even allow the limits to be £150 - because that would be a £15 discount to a customer paying £7.99.

Of course, there's always the possibilty that the "opening offer" might seem generous - but like most things will soon get trimmed back - the monthly fee will increase - and it will start to "pay for itself"

The only way it can work for Tesco as a business is if the customer is so enticed by Tesco that they do all their other shops in a month in tesco (not getting the 10% discount) - in that case they have "bought the loyalty" of a customer.

It's about profit margins, even with 10% off  x amount, Tesco is still making money, it's a clever scheme to be honest.

« Reply #14 on: 08-10-19, 11:34PM »
clearly a marketing tactic to get you to spend more because you want to make use of the discount. the thing is this will very likely work.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #15 on: 09-10-19, 04:24AM »

It didnt worked with mega petrol deal few years ago when we could get as much as 20p off. Reason. Not everyone can afford to spend 100+ in one go.
i for instance (2 people in household) spend maybe £100+/- a month (on average) at tesco and that is beacuse of 20% discounts and beacuse of some exceptional offers like buing booze for gifts combined with promotion and discount.
There are goods i buy so cheap that tesco will have to offer me 50% discount to match the price.
When i was single years ago i did 99% off shopping at tesco. Imagine yourself that at the end of the year i accumulated £400+ pound discount (that is 4k+ spend) but now when i am with my girlfriend together we spend similar amount as when i was single and our range and quality is better.
So i really do not belive that new system will be a game changer.
Will any of you will be shopping at tesco with all the pay cuts? or atleast very very very small pay rise? If you cant afford to put money back into company you work for, do you think rest of the population is in much better financial condition?
Its same with all those bloody voucher £5 off if you spend £50. God how many i throw away beacuse i could not think wat to buy to use it.
New system means you must spend £40 twice a month to get money back. Oh wait sounds like its similar to the vouchers i mentioned above but bit smarter .....

« Last Edit: 09-10-19, 04:29AM by lordadmiral »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #16 on: 09-10-19, 04:38AM »

It's about profit margins, even with 10% off  x amount, Tesco is still making money, it's a clever scheme to be honest.

Yes margin. If some of you will look at the margins of goods it goes into hundrets of %. tesco pay 50p an sell it for a £1. Tesco net margin is let say 4% so out of 500% margin put on that one item 496% its cost like salary or covering losses where margin is set to for example 10%.
New system might be clever way of forcing people to shop at tesco but ultimately it will benefit only few. Forcing someone to do something not always work. In fact it may force pople into more compulsive shopping whitch may result with putting people into financial crisis and that will led to them abandoning tesco for really cheap goods.

There is a question. Why Tesco will not simply reduce prices to atract customers? "Pay us and we will sell it cheaper to you!!!" - Costco?!Metro?!Bookers?!...and now Tesco....
« Last Edit: 09-10-19, 04:43AM by lordadmiral »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #17 on: 09-10-19, 07:59AM »
It's about  innovation, having a subscription model is a pretty innovative step for buying groceries (and  is the first I've seen ueed in this way) and so when advertised will have some appeal, especially when the service is used with the reward card. Also Tesco will still not only be making money on the profit margins of goods sold post discount, but for the service charge as well. Even if the scheme doesn't raise sales figures, they wouldn't have lost any money.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #18 on: 09-10-19, 09:28AM »
You may say its more for PR points. But then its possible that tesco rise prices by for ex one pence so in fact wont loose anything on discount for everyone and will be forking money on subscription. After all look at prices on produce how they shoot up already.

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #19 on: 10-10-19, 10:49AM »
The subscription model, in whatever field, is born out of the massive choice options now available to consumers and the many ways in which advertising is now bypassed or ignored. It's just a way of maximising and retaining loyalty. Tesco know customers are free to shop anywhere, shopping in different ways, have more choice than ever and are using cheaper and more convenient shops. So they are hoping if you are now paying for a perceived benefit you are more likely to only shop at that one brand to make use of that benefit.

Pay to shop? F**K off Tesco. You would have to be rather dumb to fall for that.

Cara

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 10-10-19, 01:16PM »
Quite honestly, all this is speculation, as the detail is yet to be announced, so why get worked up and negative at this stage?

Let’s see how it affects us all individually. If it sits well in our particular circumstances... go for it.  If not, well ... I doubt it’s compulsory.

And ultimately, whether we personally use Clubcardplus or not, if it benefits the business at no detriment to ourselves, surely that’s a good thing, yes?

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 10-10-19, 01:25PM »
Try cutting prices rather than rip off customers.

Shoestring

« Reply #22 on: 12-10-19, 02:00PM »
You could say most of retail is a rip off, it is, but it's what we've got like it or lump it.  ???

Rather than a direct rip off, it's an option, no one can be forced to apply, it's personal choice opted by personal understanding of the scheme. If a shopper feels they will definitely benefit if they shop a lot they will be persuaded, if not, they won't and those unsure may try it and give it up if it has no worthy benefit. I am sure there are those that are not fully understanding and will go for it anyway because they are easily persuaded and maybe a little gullible, that is 'possibly' what Tesco hopes for.  8-)

Of course the true benefit is to Tesco, there would be no point in it if not even just to attract more customers. Tesco have obviously collected enough data over their lifetime to know, like 10p plastic bags, even at 1p, will make a vast profit that is greater than the administration of it. The majority of prices are inflated so like government, it's an illusion, but one that works psychologically and successfully unless you are immune to the veil!  ;)

It overall is a good idea as it is a choice based idea that has potential and unlike ca's work load, only time will tell.

I do feel ever so slightly grieved by it though, we have to put in a lot of hard work for our little 10% and a customer can buy it for a mere £7.99.  :-X

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 12-10-19, 03:00PM »
Would you still qualify for the clubcard card points as well as the ten per cent discount with this new card ? , giving you the equivalent of eleven per cent discount - or do you forfeit the clubcard points meaning effectively you have only a nine per cent discount ?  ??? ???
Tosco accounting at its best again ?  :-X :-X

Theres got to be something in it for Tosco not the individual / customer .  :o :o

At least under the new General Data Protection Laws they cant release or sell on your data / E Mail address etc that they acquire with the card .

Totot

« Reply #24 on: 13-10-19, 12:18AM »
My take on this, some high rank manager who got no clue what to do, just copy other method that seems good.

But to make financially gain, this should attract new customers who don't shop in tesco.  People who already shop in tesco, either not shopping as much then won't get this or shop enough or a lot to get benefit from this ( not sure about selected product who got 10% discount, this might just be a trick to promote those product and kill the main/substitution product)

If not increase of shopping from regular customer who shop a lot, but will they increase their shopping just for 10% selected product? I really don't think they will.

Existing customer who shop the same and got new club card mean lower profit, and lower profit from other stuff too such as phone deal and banking.

How many people tesco aim for this, we would never know. Let see if they targeted 100.000 customer (brave number ) with let say each weekly shopping around £100, with no increase and all item got discount 10%.

Earning from monthly fees £ 799.000 Not bad.
Total shopping from all customer with new cc monthly, £40 million.
Decrease profit from discount, £4 million
Decrease profit from other department???
Extra cost for IT ???
Extra time for floor staff resources to explain which one which ???
Gain on shopping volume expected?
New shopper expected????

I know so much data needed and so many variation needed to see how it goes, but this is just general how they should calculate stuff.
Any spending on resources who not eliminated problem or gain something will be not only just wasting money, but eat more resources related that far bigger than what they think.