Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 01:29AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61625
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 97
Total: 100

Author Topic: Dave Lewis is stepping down next Summer  (Read 12552 times)

OvaSees

• Smart Arse
Re: Dave Lewis is stepping down next Summer
« Reply #50 on: 02-10-19, 05:30PM »
No point in all the theory-crafting. People were shouted down when they said he wasn't in it for the long term and was here for the money  - turns out they were right and he is at least £22M better off. I don't fear the next guy but I do fear for the company, there are bound to be remnants of skeletons in the closet from Dave's time - a lot of chickens have yet to come home to roost.

Jaded and Cynical

« Reply #51 on: 02-10-19, 05:50PM »
When I saw this today all I could think was Rat fleeing a sinking ship. Hoping I get redundancy before the titanic disaster.  >:D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #52 on: 02-10-19, 06:15PM »
It's a strategic exit, anything goes wrong under the new CEO due to historic presidency can be deflected onto Brexit.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #53 on: 02-10-19, 07:04PM »

He resided over 5 years of decreasing market share, so added zero value to the business during his entire tenure. Yet he continued to pick up his bonus like a dutiful little sociopath. The guy was a notable 'piece of work'. And he wanders off into the sunset. The 'personal reasons' for his leaving are that he had picked the carcass almost clean, but wanted to leave 'just enough' for the next vulture in line to believe he had some hope of a couple of years worth of bonuses and therefore give him a gushing grateful farewell speech.
dave lewis (second rate sociopath) I rest my case.

He will go off now with his reputation as being 'drastic' intact, he will move on to his next victims (sorry workforce) and do the same there. He will continue to prey on those gullible enough to follow him and cause untold misery to so many lives. He will then in the not too distant future, of course write the obligatory auto-biography claiming how 'misunderstood' he had always been, and how he really did have it tough and deserved every-bodies sympathy.

dl........w0t a n0b.

I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Red75

« Reply #54 on: 02-10-19, 07:23PM »
 :thumbup:

Red75

« Reply #55 on: 02-10-19, 07:41PM »
Exactly right optout. It's been a period of managed decline. Profits increased despite falling sales volumes by cutting costs and raising prices. They have no answer to the rise of Aldi and Lidl and it was Tescos complacency that allowed Aldi and Lidl to grow in the first place. Tesco were too slow to realise that the market had changed after the 2008 financial crash and this let the discounters grow. I've seen Tescos year end accounts and I know they still have a bloated overly expensive senior management, I believe this is the greatest obstacle to them being more competitive and nothing will change. The people at the top will keep perpetuating this. Many people have said it but without a significant increase in revenues, growth in profits will not be sustainable in the long term. Jack's 'the brexit supermarket' turned out to be a bit of a joke, already closing stores. Dave the thing that dissapounts me most, when you take your millions, the thousands off people on short hour contracts, who are paid peanuts, who are struggling to get by.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #56 on: 02-10-19, 07:43PM »
Some people with short memories, tesco were haemorrhaging when he came in, as cliche as it is he steadied the ship.

Frankly the cuts would have came regardless of who's name was behind them, just look at the same cuts at the other supermarkets.

So yeah, he's never going to be popular but it's a simple fact the business is in a much better shape, and I'd challenge any person to find any respectable source disputing that.

optout

• Sad Muppet
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #58 on: 02-10-19, 07:56PM »
Wow nevermind tesco is doomed.

Long as you ignore increased sales, increased profit and decrease in debt.

Its almost like taking one statistic out of wider context is f****ng moronic.

And also ignores that the rest of the big four lost market share, unless ol dave is responsible for that too.
« Last Edit: 02-10-19, 08:00PM by alf »

Red75

« Reply #59 on: 02-10-19, 08:02PM »
Tesco.com/investors/fiveyearrecord

Does seem after treading water for some years Tesco very substantially increased sales in 2019.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #60 on: 02-10-19, 08:10PM »
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/d-tesco-share-price-now-102049172.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAM6IFXWqt_1q41wBjn2Pd3FwDVCz1Gm10leB82g4XxN_r1&guccounter=2

That might sound fair, but I consider Tesco’s business to be in long-term decline and fighting against powerful headwinds.

Opinions are like a-holes  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

randomworker

« Reply #61 on: 02-10-19, 08:14PM »
Exactly right optout. It's been a period of managed decline. Profits increased despite falling sales volumes by cutting costs and raising prices. They have no answer to the rise of Aldi and Lidl and it was Tescos complacency that allowed Aldi and Lidl to grow in the first place. Tesco were too slow to realise that the market had changed after the 2008 financial crash and this let the discounters grow. I've seen Tescos year end accounts and I know they still have a bloated overly expensive senior management, I believe this is the greatest obstacle to them being more competitive and nothing will change. The people at the top will keep perpetuating this. Many people have said it but without a significant increase in revenues, growth in profits will not be sustainable in the long term. Jack's 'the brexit supermarket' turned out to be a bit of a joke, already closing stores. Dave the thing that dissapounts me most, when you take your millions, the thousands off people on short hour contracts, who are paid peanuts, who are struggling to get by.

Imagine blaming Tesco for the rise of Aldi and Lidl  :D

So who are you blaming Tesco or Dave Lewis or do you just blame anyone that does not fit your idea of capitalism.

Love how to live in a bubble and don’t see what is going on with the other retail companies but then again if you did you would probably blame Tesco or Dave Lewis for those companies too.

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #62 on: 02-10-19, 08:23PM »
I'll tell you what I think....I wish random GA know all on options worker would sling his hook. :-X :-X :-X
The worlds me lobster

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #63 on: 02-10-19, 08:24PM »
Absolutely nomad but several points.

That's motley fool, they have numerous guest columnists with varying views and predictions.

And read the article the person is making predictions not commenting on past performance, which is all we can do objectively i.e. Anyone can make any prediction.

But if we want to play the quote game,

"Under chief executive Dave Lewis, the firm has been turning itself around for a few years, but the job is essentially done"

Not exactly negative.

Red75

« Reply #64 on: 02-10-19, 08:26PM »
Tesco let Aldi and Lidl in after the financial crash because of their desire for a 5% operating profit margin. Failed to realise a lot of people were struggling and the market had changed. They got too expensive. Daves legacy was sorting this out.

Red75

« Reply #65 on: 02-10-19, 10:07PM »

So who are you blaming Tesco or Dave Lewis or do you just blame anyone that does not fit your idea of capitalism.

Love how to live in a bubble and don’t see what is going on with the other retail companies but then again if you did you would probably blame Tesco or Dave Lewis for those companies too.

You can take the p**s out of me. I never blamed Dave Lewis for the rise of Lidl and Aldi. Incomes were squeezed after the 2008 financial crash. Customers looked for cheaper alternatives which accelerated Aldi and Lidl growth. Tesco were perhaps too slow, probably along with the other three big supermarkets, to realise they were in a price war, that they needed to reduce their margins which benefited Aldi and Lidl. Personally I have been subject to several rounds of cuts, night premium, night shift, Sunday premium, bonus, pension. The last pay rise for instance was pretty much a con, the rises are only introduced 5 or 6 months into the year whereas the bonus was paid for 12 months. It seems likely that non shopfloor staff will get a bonus this year judging by the half year results. I've also been spoken to like c**p by some of these managers. I will not allow myself to be treated badly and not stand up for myself. The other day, I work on grocery, I was moved about 4 times in the first 3 hours of my shift. Its. just a job to me, though with staffing levels, lack of routine, I do feel stressed. 4 days a week is all I can bare. I've nothing to prove, I've had blue performance reviews. I don't feel I'm less than anyone else. I have a professional accounting diploma, which is hard to get, maybe it's brexit but accounting firms where I am aren't recruiting at the moment. I don't want to advance with the company because I don't like the company. I'd rather keep my integrity.

Bubble2029

« Reply #66 on: 02-10-19, 11:00PM »
I'll tell you what I think....I wish random GA know all on options worker would sling his hook. :-X :-X :-X
Random worker just needs some help he's just disillusioned 🤣

Bubble2029

« Reply #67 on: 02-10-19, 11:55PM »

You can take the p**s out of me. I never blamed Dave Lewis for the rise of Lidl and Aldi. Incomes were squeezed after the 2008 financial crash. Customers looked for cheaper alternatives which accelerated Aldi and Lidl growth. Tesco were perhaps too slow, probably along with the other three big supermarkets, to realise they were in a price war, that they needed to reduce their margins which benefited Aldi and Lidl. Personally I have been subject to several rounds of cuts, night premium, night shift, Sunday premium, bonus, pension. The last pay rise for instance was pretty much a con, the rises are only introduced 5 or 6 months into the year whereas the bonus was paid for 12 months. It seems likely that non shopfloor staff will get a bonus this year judging by the half year results. I've also been spoken to like c**p by some of these managers. I will not allow myself to be treated badly and not stand up for myself. The other day, I work on grocery, I was moved about 4 times in the first 3 hours of my shift. Its. just a job to me, though with staffing levels, lack of routine, I do feel stressed. 4 days a week is all I can bare. I've nothing to prove, I've had blue performance reviews. I don't feel I'm less than anyone else. I have a professional accounting diploma, which is hard to get, maybe it's brexit but accounting firms where I am aren't recruiting at the moment. I don't want to advance with the company because I don't like the company. I'd rather keep my integrity.
At the end of the day Dave Lewis jumped ship before it sunk. He under estimated just how many people would take redundancy and now stores are struggling to keep a float .

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #68 on: 03-10-19, 06:45AM »
I just feel deflated by the whole Dave Lewis experience. The lack of empathy and the decline of any moral compass on the lives of the people who are willing to give their all in exchange for a moderate standard of living has been taken. Pre Dave Lewis, you had a chance of a fixed full-time contract, get a mortgage, provide for your family. That is no longer, and has been replaced by part-time and bullied contracts, no security, flexible only in one direction. The figures may say Dave Lewis turned it around at Tesco , but I will bet the long-time staff will never forgive him taking away the future of the young people at Tesco.

zebot1976

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #69 on: 03-10-19, 07:18AM »
Dave only stepping down next Summer so he still got a good few months to inflict more misery on staff with more cuts, before he hands over the reigns to Ken.

So whats next before he walks off into the Sunset?

Bakery
Management inc Senior Team
Full Time Staff
Nights
Premiums what left of them

Arizonarugby

• Know All
« Reply #70 on: 03-10-19, 07:25AM »
I just feel deflated by the whole Dave Lewis experience. The lack of empathy and the decline of any moral compass on the lives of the people who are willing to give their all in exchange for a moderate standard of living has been taken. Pre Dave Lewis, you had a chance of a fixed full-time contract, get a mortgage, provide for your family. That is no longer, and has been replaced by part-time and bullied contracts, no security, flexible only in one direction. The figures may say Dave Lewis turned it around at Tesco , but I will bet the long-time staff will never forgive him taking away the future of the young people at Tesco.

The sad thing is that USDAW let it happen under the “partnership “ agreement or as I call it little brown envelopes stuffed with cash

Dengus

« Reply #71 on: 03-10-19, 07:49AM »
I'm curious if anyone else has heard rumours of nightshift staff in central Scotland being made redundant/shifted to twilight around March-May 2020?

From what I've heard senior managers have already been told and are well aware of the changes that are coming but can't say anything for obvious reasons.

I've had over 10 years service and I'm on a full time contract so I can see why I would be a prime target for them to change my contract or lay me off for someone on a 2 day temporary contract.

It would also explain why none of the 10 night staff that have left in the past 6 months have been replaced.

As I say, I'm just fishing for further information. Has anyone else heard anything about this?  :thumbup:

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #72 on: 03-10-19, 08:47AM »
Just watching Julie Burns on Sky venting her anger on the collapse of her company Thomas Cook, and being made redundant, blaming the fat cat guys at the top for fleecing the profits, bad management and walking away with big bonus' ready to go wreck another company. The top guy only there for 4 years, ruined the company, then goes with insincere apology and millions in his pocket!

Sound familiar  :-X

I seriously hope, the next cull will be senior team. Their input into the daily running of the store doesn't warrant their overinflated salaries. How hard is it to hold a phone in one hand and point a finger with the other. The morale is rock bottom in stores, whilst these managers are being paid huge salaries and bonuses based on "the city", if my old senior team found themselves alone in "the city" they'd p**s themselves! Even worse most are grabbing every little perk they can, using up there travel/petrol allowances, hiding vastly reduced discounted stock that they get first dibs on, in the office, then disciplining CA's for doing the same, mainly because they didn't get there first.

My old senior teams daily rota
Arrive 7 am ish
Go round shopfloor, having duty manager running round printing off POS labels for random shelves, ignoring staff who bothered to wish them a "good morning"
Call all hands for fresh fill, then go to costa for a good 45 min coffee break. Then go stand watching the shopfloor rushing to get all hands fill finished.
9am meeting, followed by Costa coffe break, passing checkout team support to remind them to get overtime filled, and b*****k if they been running red!
11am MOC meeting followed by Costa coffe break
12 noon-1pm round up the rumble team, then stand talking, watching the team rumble.
1pm-2.15 ish lunch.
3.45 another meeting followed by 4pm - 5pm rumble, which they again stand talking, watching.
5pm home time....phew! :-X

« Last Edit: 03-10-19, 08:48AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #73 on: 03-10-19, 09:37AM »
tesco profit is flat, sales is downs. Dave is leaving. Next year we will see more negative news regarding profits. Entire structure change did not worked out. All saving been made thanks to our belowed colleagues who were happy to leave, so company could spend less.
No future for tesco.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #74 on: 03-10-19, 10:17AM »
Why is everyone arguing with each other? The guy is off fair enough he is a bellend anyway but the next guy has to make money without selling assets to do it.