Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 12:38AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61624
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 101
Total: 107

Author Topic: Dave Lewis is stepping down next Summer  (Read 12549 times)

Bubble2029

Re: Dave Lewis is stepping down next Summer
« Reply #25 on: 02-10-19, 12:20PM »
That's very true . But I however think a big mistake has been made in the latest cull . Did he ever once visit stores to see that what may work on paper or in an ideal store doesn't work in majority of stores . I bet he didn't

Red75

« Reply #26 on: 02-10-19, 12:28PM »
Responding to a couple of points. Tesco has never made a cash loss in any year that I can remember. There was one year where they posted a loss due to a property write down. With regards John Lewis, it appears that they have made the cuts, in my opinion, in the right way, cutting 75 senior management positions. Tesco have largely made their cuts by cutting numbers and terms and conditions of shopfloor staff. The pay rise is barely a rise if you compare it year on year with old rate plus bonus.
In my opinion the cuts have gone too far. Certainly on the department which I work, availability has suffered massively. There is higher staff turnover, increased pressure trying to get people to fill the cracks left by reduced hours and I feem far more stressed.
Let's not forget that Tesco had one of the highest ceo to average earnings ratios in the ftse in 2017, 6th I believe. This guy has certainly had and will continue to take his Kings ransom and will continue to.
Whilst I agree that cuts needed to be made when Dave came in, I think the cuts, certainly on the shopfloor, have gone far enough. Tesco continue to lose market share so their only answer to increasing profits is to reduce costs. The new boss will be exactly the same as the last on, interesting that they both had global roles in American businesses, OK I know Unilever is Dutch American. Shows Daves vanity appointing, and I'm speculating, someone in his own image. These people always look after their own so don't ever expect a top down approach to cost cutting like at John Lewis.
While Tesco is doing some good things, trying to recycle more, reduce food waste, there is one very fundamental area in which I believe it has failed, its treatment of staff and particularly its shopfloor staff. I don't like Dave Lewis, I think he's a slave to Capitalism.

Wandy

« Reply #27 on: 02-10-19, 12:35PM »
Should have happened with first round of restructuring! I’m fed up with all the cutting of experience colleagues and the fat cats at the top sit pretty on their over priced and well under deserved bonuses.

randomworker

« Reply #28 on: 02-10-19, 12:50PM »
Managers are human beings also so John Lewis cutting 75 posts is not something you can hold up as a good thing when you highlight the poor treatment of another group. Cost cutting is cost cutting and human beings overall cost a company more money. People leave a company and a company rehires people and John Lewis did pay off 1800 employees a year or so back. Also if I recall back in 2015 Tesco said they axed 5000 head office and manager roles so I don't see anything shocking or alarming at all and its just a reflection of what businesses have done for decades.

The term "Slave to Capitalism" is a bit OTT only in the fact as I have said before name a retail company head and shoulders above Tesco and who falls into a category of capitalism that pleases everyone?

Red75

« Reply #29 on: 02-10-19, 01:19PM »
From what I understand the cuts made at John Lewis were made amongst very high earners. I don't think 'slave to capitalism' is going too far. Guy cut 100's of brands in his position as head of brands at Unilever, resulting in 10's of thousands of job losses. Began aggressively cutting costs pretty much through the door at Tesco. Other than cutting costs what has Dave Lewis's board done to improve the profitability of the business, to improve its offer, very little as far as I can see. Market share is significantly down on where it was when he arrived. Interesting that the new guy has attended the same management course at Harvard business school as Dave did. No doubt they are taught how to be masters of the universe and  this involves looking after your mates and inflicting misery to the peasants. Dave Lewis is not an original thinker, he's made a career out of cost cutting. I will not celebrate this man.

There is a human cost to all these cuts.

randomworker

« Reply #30 on: 02-10-19, 01:57PM »
You don't have to celebrate him but you don't have to make up some unquantifiable term like slave to capitalism. He was brought in by Tesco and was asked to do a job.

As for marketshare I don't know where you get your data from but I did a quick google search and in 2014 before Lewis it was 28.7% and this year its 26.9% and its peak was around 31.7% in 2008. Considering the current retail landscape I would not call that a success or failure but probably a reflection of the general retail landscape and how to manage a business without making decisions that result in it going out business... example

1. Woolworths
2. Thomas Cook
3. BHS
4. MFI
5. Maplin
6. Toy's R US
7. Poundland
8 Comet

To name but a few.

Red75

« Reply #31 on: 02-10-19, 02:05PM »
I think think this guy definitely adheres to a certain ideology. The figures you show prove the company is losing market share. Could we have competed better with Aldi and Lidl, because that's where the market share has gone, in terms of price and quality, giving the customer what they want? Streamlining is a pretty sinister word.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #32 on: 02-10-19, 02:06PM »
When making cuts, 3 things need to be taken into consideration, the money made from the responsibilities and accountabilities the position entails, how those responsibilities and accountabilities can be devolved (with the exception of closure of departments, i.e counters) with cost savings made and how such structural changes would impact staff turnover overall.

In my opinion, devolving the responsibilities of compliance managers to team managers and making the Express Deputy Store Manager redundant (95% of express Team leaders could do the DM role in Express) were good choices to make in terms of operational and cost efficiency, what I do disagree with is the worsening of the pay and terms and conditions of existing hourly paid colleagues, that is an example of a cost cutting exercise that will actually cost the business more in increased expenditure in recruitment and training due to increased staff turnover for those positions (Express SL role highlights this point very clearly).

In other words, I do agree with cutting the fat, but making cuts in the wrong place is far worse for the business. As for closing down areas like Tesco direct and counters, I'll have to trust DL knows what he is doing and the importance of having a form of loss leader strategy in place.

« Last Edit: 02-10-19, 02:09PM by NightAndDay »

Siwel123

« Reply #33 on: 02-10-19, 02:08PM »
Dave has destroyed the business with cuts to staff however the figures don't lie that he has made Tescos profitable and has grown the business. Like the poster above says the new boss will be expected to do the same by the board and shareholders and the easiest way to do that is by cutting staff further that they feel is not needed and we all know it won't be managers suffering.

Watching the half year review video just shows the arrogance of the senior staff really, oh haven't we done amazing, look at our new ranges etc, staff don't care about new ranges and your new amazing ideas, we care there's not enough staff to even get the basic jobs done, our benefits have been ripped from us and we're expected to sacrifice our life for the company when the company wouldn't even p**s on us if we were on fire

I’m really having a hard time understanding where in retail is it way better than Tesco. Every retail company has pros and cons and not one company stands head and shoulders above anyone else. As many people have stated retail across the board is going through major upheaval. Even John Lewis who I would said has had the best bonus for employees in the good days is now struggling to pay out any meaningful bonus.

So when you say he has destroyed Tesco this is just from your single perspective without having the full picture of the retail landscape and what the business is doing as a whole in comparison to the other big 4. I fully support individuals who do not want to work for Tesco anymore because their terms and conditions have changed or it’s not what it use to be like. However that is not indication of how well the business is run overall.

Retail isn't a great environment anymore no, but i judge a company success on not only the profit they make but how happy the staff are working there and lately I've seen a downward trend.

I do find it a bit condescending that oh you don't understand retail or how the business is doing. I don't need to, all i need to know is everytime i go into work I'm rushed off my feet, for c**p pay and conditions and the company keep on making cuts to staff.

Looselips

« Reply #34 on: 02-10-19, 02:08PM »
Wonder whether he will pay back the relocation package that he claimed when he moved to Welwyn to be closer to work ?

Looselips

« Reply #35 on: 02-10-19, 02:17PM »
I think think this guy definitely adheres to a certain ideology. The figures you show prove the company is losing market share. Could we have competed better with Aldi and Lidl, because that's where the market share has gone, in terms of price and quality, giving the customer what they want? Streamlining is a pretty sinister word.

And that’s why Lewis has tried to implement the “German” discounters business model in to the Tesco frame work . Clearly this doesn’t work in a large store environment.

randomworker

« Reply #36 on: 02-10-19, 02:23PM »
Dave has destroyed the business with cuts to staff however the figures don't lie that he has made Tescos profitable and has grown the business. Like the poster above says the new boss will be expected to do the same by the board and shareholders and the easiest way to do that is by cutting staff further that they feel is not needed and we all know it won't be managers suffering.

Watching the half year review video just shows the arrogance of the senior staff really, oh haven't we done amazing, look at our new ranges etc, staff don't care about new ranges and your new amazing ideas, we care there's not enough staff to even get the basic jobs done, our benefits have been ripped from us and we're expected to sacrifice our life for the company when the company wouldn't even p**s on us if we were on fire

I’m really having a hard time understanding where in retail is it way better than Tesco. Every retail company has pros and cons and not one company stands head and shoulders above anyone else. As many people have stated retail across the board is going through major upheaval. Even John Lewis who I would said has had the best bonus for employees in the good days is now struggling to pay out any meaningful bonus.

So when you say he has destroyed Tesco this is just from your single perspective without having the full picture of the retail landscape and what the business is doing as a whole in comparison to the other big 4. I fully support individuals who do not want to work for Tesco anymore because their terms and conditions have changed or it’s not what it use to be like. However that is not indication of how well the business is run overall.

Retail isn't a great environment anymore no, but i judge a company success on not only the profit they make but how happy the staff are working there and lately I've seen a downward trend.

I do find it a bit condescending that oh you don't understand retail or how the business is doing. I don't need to, all i need to know is everytime i go into work I'm rushed off my feet, for c**p pay and conditions and the company keep on making cuts to staff.

You're the one who says that he destroyed the business. When you make a sweeping statement like that for a company the size of Tesco then I think it's a fair counter argurment to say you don't understand retail or how the business is doing so was not meant to be condescending.

randomworker

« Reply #37 on: 02-10-19, 02:32PM »

If you don't like someone fair enough but unless some company is out there knocking it out the park when it comes to adhering to every key issue from profit, employees well fair, environment, customer needs, social inclusivity etc etc then it's all very subjective and one persons view. For every one person you can find to rave about a company you can find another person who will say how bad it is.

T.C.1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #38 on: 02-10-19, 03:28PM »
I call B/S for personal reasons upon leaving has he seen something next year like Sir Terry did that would have taken away his shinning light??

randomworker

« Reply #39 on: 02-10-19, 03:43PM »
I heard in the past that this was always a 5-year plan so kind of on schedule.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #40 on: 02-10-19, 03:46PM »
Well I don't think the new guy could possibly make things any worse than the old one has done.  I can't pretend to know much about running a massive company like tesco but I imagine having unhappy staff, who are forced to work with dreadful equipment and in bad conditions isn't the best way to go about it.  There's such a high turnover of staff in our store that it seems hardly worth the bother of ordering uniform for them, let alone training them up to do the job. 

lockesbrokenback

« Reply #41 on: 02-10-19, 03:50PM »
He might have made Tesco profitable again, but in doing so he has ripped the heart and soul out of the company with his ruthless shredding. Morale and a passion for the job for your average GA? Gone. Replaced with worry and stress for when the next round of cuts come around.

Certain people in here singing his praises and kneeling at his feet, I can just imagine the sort of employee you are. Every store has a few of them. Have a word with yourselves.

Siwel123

« Reply #42 on: 02-10-19, 04:16PM »
Agreed, I'll change my phrasing, dave lewis hasn't destroyed tesco as a business, but he has failed to maintain the values of the company and to grow employee satisfaction.

randomworker

« Reply #43 on: 02-10-19, 04:20PM »
He might have made Tesco profitable again, but in doing so he has ripped the heart and soul out of the company with his ruthless shredding. Morale and a passion for the job for your average GA? Gone. Replaced with worry and stress for when the next round of cuts come around.

Certain people in here singing his praises and kneeling at his feet, I can just imagine the sort of employee you are. Every store has a few of them. Have a word with yourselves.

All very coded words there and comes across like if you’re not one of the gang then you ain’t liked.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #44 on: 02-10-19, 04:22PM »
There are 2 sides to the coin, yes it is awful when hard working people lose their jobs, but on the same foot, it's necessary for jobs where the position doesn't add value to the business to go, In an ideal world, these positions would be visible on the shop floor (the office managers who does about 30 minutes worth of work a day on a 36.5 hour contract, not because they are lazy, but because of the responsibilities and accountabities of the position they hold), not only is it unfair on everybody else that those positions remain but it's also unsustainable, unfortunately this case isn't always the reality.
« Last Edit: 02-10-19, 04:27PM by NightAndDay »

lockesbrokenback

« Reply #45 on: 02-10-19, 04:37PM »

All very coded words there and comes across like if you’re not one of the gang then you ain’t liked.

People who suck up and kiss the behind of those above them tend not to be liked in any business or any company of any sort.

randomworker

« Reply #46 on: 02-10-19, 04:43PM »
Well unfortunately I don’t live in a time or place where people have to choose sides. As long as someone ain’t using threatening or abusive language and doing their job like everyone else then everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Shockingly democratic I know but hey ho!

mexicopete

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 02-10-19, 05:04PM »

Anyone on here singing the shifty faced ones praises needs to hark back to what your pension used to be worth compared to the savings plan you have now. No doubt if needs to get another job cutting and slashing at another company he will do the same to their pension scheme as well....after all he had previous form before joing Tesco...just another snake oil selling CEO. :( :( :(
The worlds me lobster

BarryZola

« Reply #48 on: 02-10-19, 05:12PM »
I doubt there are another 5 years worth of big cuts left in this company without it completely failing to function any more. On that basis I reckon the new head boss is going to end up being seen as a failure compared with Lewis. Dave Lewis has used most of the best cuts already to make the figures look good year on year so god knows how this guy will continue to show profit growth going forward. Hope they don't stop the redundancies as I'm still hanging on in there waiting for my turn.

Littlehelpsvery

« Reply #49 on: 02-10-19, 05:14PM »
See in daves brief to store planning to open
More express stores
20 urban fulfilment centres (this must spell the end of dotcom in stores)