Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 12:44AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61624
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 104
Total: 107

Author Topic: How much sickness am I entitled to?  (Read 2595 times)

Hotdog1

• VLH Supporter
How much sickness am I entitled to?
« on: 18-09-19, 03:48PM »
Hi, I have been working for Tesco for 1 Year and 1 week -  Have now been signed off sick.. I know I don't get paid for the first 3 days,
so my questions are ....

1, I work 3 days contracted  and 2 days Flexi, Will I just get sick pay for the 3 days contracted I do?

2, How many weeks Sick Pay will I be entitled to from Tesco?

3, As I work nights will I get all my enhancements ?
 Many thanks for any help and advice

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
Re: How much sickness am I entitled to?
« Reply #1 on: 18-09-19, 06:16PM »
How about you just concentrate on getting better as soon as possile so you can get back to work as quickly as you can?

In terms of how much sick pay you are entitled to that on its own wont make you better, so my advice is to do whatever you can to firstly make yourself better which will in turn enable you to get back to work and start earning wages again.

As to how many days you would get paid for you will get paid for your fixed, contracted hours only (ie: 3 days a week), just as you do now on those weeks when your manager doesn't require you to flex up for them.

good luck, get well soon, and get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 18-09-19, 08:38PM »
@nowanexmanager , the stress of worrying if you're going to get paid will not help anyone recover .
@Hotdog 1 , it would be a maximum of 2wks but may only be one week , your wages clerk should be able to tell you .

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 18-09-19, 09:19PM »
How about you just concentrate on getting better as soon as possile so you can get back to work as quickly as you can?

In terms of how much sick pay you are entitled to that on its own wont make you better, so my advice is to do whatever you can to firstly make yourself better which will in turn enable you to get back to work and start earning wages again.

As to how many days you would get paid for you will get paid for your fixed, contracted hours only (ie: 3 days a week), just as you do now on those weeks when your manager doesn't require you to flex up for them.

Though I would agree with your sentiment in general, for Tesco I'd make an exception, I'd argue that his health is worth more than the axe wielding culture at Tesco, I say get better as soon as you can get better, don't push yourself for this shambles of a company. By any means, if the company actually valued staff make the effort. But for Tesco I say give it a few days up to 2 weeks from when you are actually better.
« Last Edit: 18-09-19, 09:21PM by NightAndDay »

Hotdog1

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 19-09-19, 07:20AM »

Thanks for that Nowanexmgr , as I dont know who is on here - I didnt want to say the condition I have - so -No I cant really concentrate on getting better because I never will.   This is going to get worse as I get older . So your 'Advice'  didnt really help - Why people cannot give a 'straight forward' answer on here I shall never know .
 Dont know about you , But I have a mortgage to pay and other bills- so I need to know how much I can 'plan ahead' with . I am not a live for the day kinda person.
You know how to kick someone when they are already down don't you ???
« Last Edit: 19-09-19, 07:23AM by Hotdog1 »

jack_cohens_shame

« Reply #5 on: 19-09-19, 08:02AM »

How about you just answer the question without being an arrogant p r i c k next time?
« Last Edit: 19-09-19, 08:09AM by an_anon »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 19-09-19, 08:12AM »
Eeee...Nowanexmanager...sometimes you can't do right for doing wrong can you?? As a senior manager, your knowledge can be helpful, and I note that you have recently contributed in sharing that knowledge, so please don't desist in replying to posts, when you think you can help.

@Hotdog1..so sorry to hear you're experiencing bad health, and it is to be an ongoing condition. However, to be fair, not everyone would grasp your real concerns from your original post, and the reasoning behind your questions, therefore a straight answer is not always forthcoming, as the majority of people would think your mental health and wellbeing was paramount and advise as such, especially as you stated you have been employed just in excess of a year, and some may assume, as I, that you are the younger generation so wouldn't necessarily have such financial commitments.
Most posters on here try to help if they feel they can, and their replies are going from their own experiences and personal outlook on life, but won't always give the answer you want which can be frustrating at times.
« Last Edit: 19-09-19, 08:14AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 19-09-19, 12:03PM »

Thanks for that Nowanexmgr , as I dont know who is on here - I didnt want to say the condition I have - so -No I cant really concentrate on getting better because I never will.   This is going to get worse as I get older . So your 'Advice'  didnt really help - Why people cannot give a 'straight forward' answer on here I shall never know .
 Dont know about you , But I have a mortgage to pay and other bills- so I need to know how much I can 'plan ahead' with . I am not a live for the day kinda person.
Because there people on this site that  BREATH EAT AND s*** TOSCOS...take no notice dont rush back shite company ...

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 19-09-19, 12:09PM »

I suspect nowexmanager posted it because your post came across to them, and to me to be honest as "how much can I screw over the company claiming sickness then coming back just as the full sick pay ammount has finished.

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 19-09-19, 01:16PM »
Thanks Madness and Lucgeo. I was just trying to help as I don't understand why getting sick pay will speed up a recovery of a genuine illness. One is either ill or not. Obviously if illness is stress related with regards to finances then it stands to reason that however long sick pay lasts for there is no better substitute than to get back to work and start earning again.

Sick pay is a privilege, not a right. Many employer's don't pay it at all. Tesco are extremely generous and trusting which is great for us all of course but I have no doubt many people take advantage of our largess  in this area. Not saying that of the OP, but in my experience our sick pay policy almost invites malingerers. 

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 19-09-19, 03:04PM »
Sick pay is common across many job roles, in fact Tescos sick pay policy is considered draconian by a lot of people, it is actually among the worst sick policies amongst the big 4.

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #11 on: 19-09-19, 08:14PM »
Draconian? Really? I have umpteen weeks sick pay if needed, that's hardly Draconian.
My friend works in the building trade and his sick pay is zero.

I'm at the maximum because I hardly ever use it. In over 30 years at work I'm averaging one day sick every 6 years.

Anybody (I'm not referring to the OP here but to all) who 'needs' more than they already get is frankly betyer off looking for employment elsewhere.

We all have people in our stores who take up to 2 or even 3 weeks a year in sick pay, every year - sometimes for year after year. (until they start being managed properly then suddenly they get a lot fitter or leave).

If someone has a serious illness or accident our sick pay policy gives them the maximum amount of full pay reasonably possible for a private business. If they have a day here and there regularly they never reach the maximum which is as it should be.

Good luck to the OP, I hope you get better soon.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 19-09-19, 09:33PM »
I'm referring to the first 3 days unpaid, also the accumulation of sick pay is common amongst employers, Tescos sick pay policy isn't the worst, but it isn't hard to find better.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 20-09-19, 03:17AM »
Nowanexmanager , lucky you , 1 day sick in 6yrs is great but with Tesco maximum 12-16wks sick pay that will mean nothing if you unfortunately become seriously Ill. 
A serious car accident, a heart attack   a bout of depression or cancer and before you know it youll be through that sick pay and the stress of not knowing if you're going to make a mortgage or rent payment will not help you're recovery . Yes there are staff that take the p#ss  but some people face genuine hardship through illness .

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #14 on: 20-09-19, 08:40AM »
Welshie, I don't disagree with you that my (or anybody else's) sick pay is finite and could eventually run out but what is the alternative? We cannot offer unlimited full sick pay for ever. 12-16 weeks full sick pay is more than millions of people get.

There are things people can criticise Tesco for but a generous sick pay policy isn't one of them.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #15 on: 20-09-19, 09:31AM »
The OP want to know how many weeks sick pay , probably to help plan ahead financially,  maybe if you had given them that info and then commented , it wouldn't have come across as harshly !

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 20-09-19, 09:36AM »
The managerial culture in many places of employment is that the health of the employee is more important than the cost of sick pay, only Tesco and other places of work with a similar culture of treating the lower rung as a number has the attitude towards sickpay where the cost is more important than the employees health and wellbeing.
« Last Edit: 20-09-19, 09:38AM by NightAndDay »

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 20-09-19, 12:40PM »
No business gives unlimited, 100% full sick pay. Many businesses give zero sick pay.

Criticise Tesco all you want but not for being significantly more generous than the law says they have to be.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 20-09-19, 01:22PM »
Actually, my role does, but you are right, almost no businesses give unlimited 100% sick pay.

As I said before, the issue with Tescos sick pay policy is the first 3 days being unpaid for shopfloor colleagues (making the us vs them culture worse) and the culture of being paid sick pay a taboo, deny it all you want, but there are a lot of managers who care more about the figures than the staff, the ethos being "go off sick and your name is mud" ringing true.

The accruement of sick pay is more common than you think, it isn't just Tesco that increases sick pay with length of service and as said before, Tesco doesn't have the worst sick pay policy, but it isn't hard to find better.

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #19 on: 20-09-19, 02:29PM »
for what it's worth I agree that the 3 day waiting period is divisive as some get it and some don't. I think it should be got rid of for everybody.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #20 on: 20-09-19, 02:50PM »
I suspect, with the many changes within the business, it won't be too long before pretty much everyone is on a flexible contract with a waiting period of three days before sickness pay is granted.

Without wanting to sound like an arse people with genuine reasons I have no problems with having time off work in terms of illness.

It's the repeat offenders who, for example, request time off work as holiday, but it isn't granted as so many people are off already and then conveniently have an 'accident' the same week that was refused and they are the ones who are laughing because they get paid sick from the first day, rather than the third.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 20-09-19, 02:56PM »
While I'm against the ethos of victimisation of employees just because they're off sick with an illness, I firmly believe in well thought out policies, I'm under the impression that a sicknote signed off by a GP has to be produced before company sick pay is paid, I also believe that a policy should be made where if a manager believes the sickness isn't genuine that the employee in question agrees to be referred to an independent doctor for assessment or by disagreeing, forfeit company sick pay.
« Last Edit: 20-09-19, 02:58PM by NightAndDay »