Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 01:33AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61625
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 98
Total: 101

Author Topic: Useless Daw - Time for Action?  (Read 7772 times)

penguin

• Sad Muppet
Re: Useless Daw - Time for Action?
« Reply #25 on: 07-09-19, 09:06PM »
Left the union several years ago during a previous structure change, after getting no help from reps at all, can’t go into details on here but was a witness to a fairly serious incident between two staff members a while ago, in store rep was all up for challenging it all under process, soon as she found out one of the people involved was a manager she just said it should be sorted out via a handshake, not much of a useful union at all.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #26 on: 08-09-19, 05:53PM »
In our store there is a campaign poster from usdaw  saying that £10 per hour should be the minimum wage  a bit  rich considering the latest pay negs from them

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #27 on: 09-09-19, 08:43AM »
I was a rep instore for a very long time, our store was one of the lucky stores than had always had a strong union presence and strong & experienced reps, so many issues that happened in other stores (like bullying and procedures/guidelines not followed) didn't occur often.

The issues are very high up the food chain in Uselessdaw, I can vividly remember at one conference being gobsmacked at what came out of a certain Pauline's mouth regarding her thoughts on staffing having to chop/change hours (wrong hours wrong place) and her general discard for the average worker rights and feelings.

My own AO was brilliant, but from experience there are many who are not, and most definitely some reps are in it just to feather their own nests, not rock the boat but still go off on all the weekends away on the members money.
« Last Edit: 09-09-19, 08:46AM by Mr Grumpy »

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #28 on: 09-09-19, 10:53AM »
And we know very well if we got £10p/h ( ???) even more people would find themselves out of a job...

I can imagine it now.

You've been successful in your job application; you're on a two hour contract and we expect you to man checkouts, tip and back fill wagons, do Job 14 and watch out for shoplifters as well as rumble and clearing up any spillages  ;).

If you don't do that within two hours, you're fired!

As I keep saying there are some very good reps out there; it's just the usual suspects who spout so much sh*t the local water board think there's been a sewage leak!

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 09-09-19, 12:51PM »
Large companies such as Tesco can easily afford to pay a minimum of £10 an hour, they just choose not to as it affects their returns to the shareholders by 2-300 million which is a drop in the ocean when looking at their profits.

BMW-E90

« Reply #30 on: 09-09-19, 01:19PM »
Never joined the union, not worth the paper you have to sign up on! As a CDA a decent union would have worked to reduce the massive workload drivers are having to deliver now on on a regular basis!  Instead deliveries are getting heavier and more numerous! They would have also increased the pay to a respectable £10ph by now! 

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #31 on: 09-09-19, 04:19PM »
As bad as the union is, I sort of like Aldis aproach to USDAW membership, even though Aldi has a more fascist reputation than Tesco, at least they're honest, not owning the union for appearances only. (They're against union membership, which i find more favourable than Tescos approach.)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.usdaw.org.uk/411&ved=2ahUKEwiAr5SKhMTkAhWNThUIHRmvAsAQFjABegQIDhAG&usg=AOvVaw2k9BVkV6H60346mYZA4lXn

Captain001

« Reply #32 on: 09-09-19, 07:27PM »
Anyone heard anything about the upcoming manager restructure, store managers meeting tomorrow?

Administrator Comment Wrong thread for this question.

Vanilla

« Reply #33 on: 09-09-19, 09:25PM »
I can't believe people are still debating whether being a member of useless is worthwhile.  ;D
The waste of money going on.
Useless, as about useful as a chocolate teapot.

stuartc17

« Reply #34 on: 18-09-19, 08:03AM »
Been with Tesco from 2011 never been part of the supposed Union and never will, complete waste of money  ;)

rayinski

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #35 on: 18-09-19, 12:31PM »
While I agree with most that the higher up's in the union management are a waste of time, I have to say that store reps have been highly supportive and have fought my corner on many occasion when management have refused to give me the support I need to do my job.

A former colleague once tried to get me sacked because of a comment I made whilst my mental health was in a poor state and the store rep helped fight my corner with great success.

At the moment, my job is at risk and as the store rep is currently on holiday, the regional rep is fighting to keep me in employment as store management failed to allow reasonable adjustments under the Equalities Act 2010 when doing the scoring and job match process. Even if this fails, I for one have been grateful for the support and assistance given to me by the union over the years.

I have always viewed union subs like car insurance, nobody likes paying, but they are glad they do when they need to get help.  The only way usdaw is going to change is if the membership vote out the people that they don't trust and vote in someone else and if that person doesn't follow through with thier promise, vote in someone else, but that's just my humble opinion

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #36 on: 18-09-19, 11:38PM »
My original post was aimed at the faceless who are only interested in lining the vaults of the bank with their gold bullions rayinski; there are many a good rep out there who'll fight people's corners, as demonstrated with your experience.

Out of interest, have you sought legal advice re: the EA 2010? If you face the prospect of losing your job because reasonable adjustments haven't been made then I would've thought it could possibly (?) meant Constructive Dismissal, that's all.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #37 on: 19-09-19, 02:39PM »
Left the union several years ago during a previous structure change, after getting no help from reps at all, can’t go into details on here but was a witness to a fairly serious incident between two staff members a while ago, in store rep was all up for challenging it all under process, soon as she found out one of the people involved was a manager she just said it should be sorted out via a handshake, not much of a useful union at all.

I had 2 reps in my store that hated most of the managers and they were the reps everyone wanted in their meetings. They loved the thought of finding an error the managers made and did all they could to get the staff off the hook and basically give the finger to the managers.

I cancelled my membership last year not because of the reps but I feel the union don't do whats best for us as a whole.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 19-09-19, 03:16PM »
The partnership agreement raises question on whether USDAW counts as a union for Tesco or as a covert agent to diminish workers rights and make Tesco look good on paper (one of the downsides of unionised employers is that you lose some negotiating power over certain aspects of your contract, including pay rises as the unions collective bargaining does this on your behalf with no oversite to the motives of the union.)

Paupers wage

« Reply #39 on: 19-09-19, 04:36PM »
I have been in several skilled trade unions, militant in obtaining the best rates for its members, USDA’s not a trade union only in name, it is part of Tesco’s there to do the best for Tesco’s, since when has it been exceptable to not allow colleagues to freely go to the toilet instead they are having to stay logged on to a pick scanner device in dot com thus monitoring downtime /non pick time

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #40 on: 22-09-19, 12:39AM »
Maybe we should have a regular;

Show the Door to Usdaw Day
When current members have a day of reflection on a regular basis on what their union has done for them lately (say in the previous couple of months) and decide whether they are still better off paying their subs for the benefits that they receive.

I have heard that GMB are good, and I think that they are the only union who are not against the Equal-pay-for-work-of-equal-value issue. Maybe time for a change.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

BinnieBob

• Know All
« Reply #41 on: 28-09-19, 11:21PM »
I joined GMB years ago, the rep scared the s*** out of my management and they finally refered me to OH who told them I needed the reasonable adjustments I'd been requesting for years. Usdaw rep kept the ball rolling. Health issues dealt with and only one night rep left Usdaw a year or so ago.
No regrets, would never not be a member of a union though, that's just stupid. GMB and Unite both represent retail workers.