Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12-11-19, 08:01AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62295
  • Total Topics: 1097
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: High flats lifts broken - safety  (Read 1943 times)

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
High flats lifts broken - safety
« on: 15-10-19, 06:07PM »
Hi, I heard a driver was told in no uncertain terms to deliver to floors in double figures (2 of them one after another) when the lifts weren't working (high rise flats the type with 14 floors).

I would have thought this would carry an unacceptable risk to the driver of over straining and risk of injury.

Comments/debate welcome !
DFL

choppers dad

Re: High flats lifts broken - safety
« Reply #1 on: 15-10-19, 07:46PM »
I am a driver,  I had a 6th floor with no lift. Told the customers I was not prepared to carry the shopping up. Simple as that. I don't really go over two floors, only for old people.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #2 on: 15-10-19, 08:58PM »
I am a driver,  I had a 6th floor with no lift. Told the customers I was not prepared to carry the shopping up. Simple as that. I don't really go over two floors, only for old people.

This driver had 2 back to back on high floors, refusal was met with manager demanding the driver return to the customer with the stuff. I'd have said no for a fact unless given help, falling on the stairs on the flats as I've been in them driver could be left hurt on them for ages.
DFL

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 15-10-19, 09:46PM »
And what does your manager say if you refuse deliveries higher than that level ?
DFL

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 15-10-19, 11:25PM »
Were there witnesses to the order?

How was the order (from manager communicated)?

Did the colleague injure themselves (remembering that some injuries take a while to become apparent)?

What is the company policy?

Have there been risk-assessments done?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 16-10-19, 08:02AM »
"Witnesses to the order" why would any be needed, the orders would be in black and white on the dotcom delivery schedule, and I'm quite sure lifts not working could easily be corroborated. But that's not the question, the question is, would it be safe, my opinion is no, what's other peoples views is the question.
DFL

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 16-10-19, 12:15PM »
dfl, I think opt out means witnesses to the manager ordering the driver to deliver to double figure floors without a lift .
Surely the sensible thing to do would be to ask customer if they know when/if lift will be fixed that day and arrange for the delivery later ?

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #7 on: 16-10-19, 12:31PM »
Yeah maybe, if that the case then I would have just come back with it and awaited manager telling me to do it in front of people, and if the manager did it in private then I'd just refuse, it would all become official when it went to disciplinary (at that point it would be obvious manager told you to do it)
DFL

johnven

« Reply #8 on: 16-10-19, 06:49PM »
I'm a dotcom driver and the rules are that your 1st priority is to the health and safety of yourself and others before any consideration to customer service, company equipment, customer or public property. When you arrive at any delivery you have to assess if you can deliver the shopping safely and if there is any risk to you, others or tesco. It states in our terms and conditions that the driver will make the assessment. So the manager back at the store cannot know all the facts. I have refused 1 flight if blocked with c**p and gone up 2 or 3 that are clear. I won't do outside ones in the dark or if wet and slippery. So no manager can tell you to do it, they may make suggestions to make it easier or safer.

Best bet, refuse and go to the disciplinary meeting with a copy of terms and conditions. Also remind him it's a dynamic assessment that only you can do at the time you arrive.

choppers dad

« Reply #9 on: 16-10-19, 06:56PM »
The terms and conditions state we can deliver to the main door of the building, the customers accept that so that's our cover.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 16-10-19, 09:05PM »
I havent seen that on the terms and conditions,

And im aware that these deliveries were on flights up in the double figures as in more than 10 floors
DFL

johnven

« Reply #11 on: 16-10-19, 11:35PM »
The terms and conditions state we can deliver to the main door of the building, the customers accept that so that's our cover.

Delivery and collection information

How do you deliver?
Our experienced drivers use vans designed to keep your groceries at a temperature that’s similar to how they would be in-store. Where possible, the driver will try to bring the shopping to your door or even to your kitchen. However, please understand that we take the health and safety of our drivers seriously, so this won’t be possible if they will be at risk of injury; for example, where delivery to your door or kitchen would mean going up a few flights of stairs. Also, we can only deliver if someone over the age of 18 is there to sign for your delivery.

For deliveries to customers at a business address, we can deliver to the ground floor communal entrance of your business, but unfortunately, we are not able to come to your desk. If your business has a shared ground floor reception, this is where we will deliver your shopping.

That's is what it says in full. So is down to the driver. So any risk of injury is the key. Dodgy unlit driveway would be a reason to say no. Also have to remember not everyone is the same. Me at 50 something is more prone to injury than me at 20 something. Driver decides on what he believes and management can ask questions but unless they there hard to give an opinion on what they would have done.

dfl

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #12 on: 17-10-19, 04:05PM »
Where is that, is it online when an order is made, ie have to be logged into an account ?

Thanks
DFL

johnven

« Reply #13 on: 17-10-19, 08:54PM »
It's in the faq section on the app. I'm logged in. It's not very clear, suspect that is deliberate. Sure they don't want every driver knowing, lol.