Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-11-19, 11:07AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8610
  • Latest: flo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62518
  • Total Topics: 1105
  • Online Today: 255
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 160
Total: 163

Author Topic: Canteen  (Read 17124 times)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
Re: Canteen
« Reply #75 on: 13-10-19, 03:58PM »
We must be an oddity then, ours is clean and tidy the dish washers are in use constantly the coffee machine is never empty the bread from the bakery is in there for people to make toast with and its a pleasent place to sit.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #76 on: 13-10-19, 04:30PM »
Has anyone tried using policy against the new canteen, the policy being if your break gets disrupted you are alowed your full break entitlement again.

We are on an unpaid break, tidying the canteen could be classified as work... No?

Are you trying to say tidying up after yourself counts as work?

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #77 on: 13-10-19, 07:16PM »
Does the CEO or any member of the board polish, hoover and empty waste bin of their office ?
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #78 on: 14-10-19, 10:11AM »
Tesco do not have to supply anything other than a room to eat in away from the work place, free coffee and tea and other sundry items are a bonus. So what they get is moot really if you want to eat in a pig sty go ahead.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #79 on: 14-10-19, 02:40PM »
Dont think anyone in my store on nights knows where the dishwasher is. We just put empty cups on the tray stacks and the cleaners deal with it. The fruit and the bread get replenished as we are going home so we walk in to the scraps. Night managers to busy or cant be bothered to refill it for us.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #80 on: 14-10-19, 07:17PM »
Do feel night colleagues are worst affected by the changes and I work days.

We at least have a open shop and other businesses nearby from which to purchase food so a lack of bread/coffee whilst annoying can be overcome.

Our night colleagues have a closed shop, closed local businesses and the dregs from that mornings transfers.

Why Tesco didn't insist on making cleaners transfer stock twice a day is my question

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #81 on: 14-10-19, 07:25PM »
Why is that, You know the hours you work and if you are so inept you are unable to make sure you have food/driunk for your shift why should Tesco bail you out.

Its like saying ...I have no money so give me it for free.

For years I took a flask and sandwitches and ate with my mates in a dirty porta cabin. That was on the steelworks so why do you feel more entitled simply because you work in a shop all be it while it is closed.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #82 on: 14-10-19, 07:56PM »
Why is that, You know the hours you work and if you are so inept you are unable to make sure you have food/driunk for your shift why should Tesco bail you out.

Its like saying ...I have no money so give me it for free.

For years I took a flask and sandwitches and ate with my mates in a dirty porta cabin. That was on the steelworks so why do you feel more entitled simply because you work in a shop all be it while it is closed.

If the bread, fruit, spreads and coffee machine is fully stacked for the day staff then it isnt asking much that its replenished for the night team. Yes they dont have to provide it but they do.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #83 on: 14-10-19, 08:33PM »
Its also incumbant on you to make sure you have the food drink you need to sustain you for work why do you think tesco are obliged to give you anything?

Who do you think replenishes it? No one is employed to do it so why not offer to do it on your break.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #84 on: 14-10-19, 10:10PM »
We're going round in circles with this!

If days are getting certain things provided, then nights should be receiving the same.
If they want you to clean as you go, then allow the time to do so!

If I was asked to give the tables a wipe down, or run a few pots through I would, providing they allowed me the extra time, either before or after my break to do so, and I was fully trained and signed off on using the dishwasher, and attired correctly for being in the kitchen area, non slip safety shoes at the very least.

Yep, I'm hearing the swish of eyes hitting the ceiling, but does anyone seriously think Tesco will accept liability, should you slip on the wet floor, or suffer an injury from any electrical equipment you use incorrectly. Behave, they'd just tell you that you shouldn't have been there in the first place, and had no training to be using their equipment so had behaved recklessly by putting yourself and others at risk. Then they'd probably discipline you for gross misconduct  :-X
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #85 on: 15-10-19, 11:48AM »
Its also incumbant on you to make sure you have the food drink you need to sustain you for work why do you think tesco are obliged to give you anything?

Who do you think replenishes it? No one is employed to do it so why not offer to do it on your break.

But they provide it. A manager should replenish it.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #86 on: 15-10-19, 11:56AM »
We're going round in circles with this!

If days are getting certain things provided, then nights should be receiving the same.
If they want you to clean as you go, then allow the time to do so!

If I was asked to give the tables a wipe down, or run a few pots through I would, providing they allowed me the extra time, either before or after my break to do so, and I was fully trained and signed off on using the dishwasher, and attired correctly for being in the kitchen area, non slip safety shoes at the very least.

Yep, I'm hearing the swish of eyes hitting the ceiling, but does anyone seriously think Tesco will accept liability, should you slip on the wet floor, or suffer an injury from any electrical equipment you use incorrectly. Behave, they'd just tell you that you shouldn't have been there in the first place, and had no training to be using their equipment so had behaved recklessly by putting yourself and others at risk. Then they'd probably discipline you for gross misconduct  :-X

As long as the cups and plates are going in to the right area and the rubbish going in the bin then we shouldn't have to wipe down anything. Im sure the cleaning company got a little extra money to clean all canteens and clean the kitchen area.

Whiskers

« Reply #87 on: 15-10-19, 01:15PM »
Like I have previously stated, I’m an in store cleaning manager, we were given a whole three hours a week extra for the canteen (to do shopping/pots/extra cleaning) each day! Which is nowhere near enough, I, along with my team didn’t want this and it was never even mentioned to us until big bosses came down out the blue and told us this is the new set up and basically we do it or leave! We come in daily to an absolutely trashed canteen (left obviously by Tesco evening/nights) who can’t clear up their own spilt liquids, wipe down a plate or even use the provided bins! We now have to fit the added work into our daily routine which can often put us behind or certain areas do at times, miss being cleaned...again causing managers to moan!

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #88 on: 15-10-19, 03:20PM »
Just a vicious circle of a lack of respect for fellow workers trying to do their best and get out of the s*** holes.Do it or leave bullying attitude and basically Just a s*** place to work all round.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #89 on: 15-10-19, 11:43PM »
Most of the issues so far in this thread originate from unrealistic expectations of tesco management and probably in ignorance of policies and regulations (eg H&S and Food hygeine) in most cases. Good ole Cessco half-ass-ing it as always.
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Long gone

« Reply #90 on: 16-10-19, 01:19AM »
To anyone who is asked to “clean as they go” or do a job you are not trained at regarding the canteen or eating area then you should refuse and cite the “health and safety at work act 1974”
This is going to sound ridiculously petty but it’s absolutely abhorrent that this joke of a company is getting away with what it does and it needs people to be awkward about it so that someone realises what the hell is going on. I’m not talking about something trivial such as putting rubbish in a bin and making sure things go back in the right place, I’m talking about general health and safety and operating equipment that you haven’t used before, I have been in touch with a friend of mine who works for the food standards agency which also covers hygiene and cleanliness and this is the info he wrote to me in regards to something as simple as training staff members how to use a dishwasher.

HAZARDS TO STAFF AND OTHERS

Cuts from broken glass

Electric shock from dishwasher

Chemical hazard from detergents

Burns/scalds from contact with hot surfaces/glassware

Personal injury from lifting heavy trays of glassware

RISK EVALUATION LOW

Some risk of injury exists however the following actions/safety precautions should eliminate or reduce risks to an acceptable level.

SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

Staff to wear disposable/rubber gloves when loading/unloading dishwasher

Dishwasher to be electrical safety tested and regularly maintained

A COSHH assessment must be carried out for all chemicals used and be prominently displayed

Staff to be trained in the safe operation of the dishwasher and potential hazards explained to them

Heavy trays of glassware to be lifted in accordance with guidelines on Manual Handling Operations

MANAGERIAL ARRANGEMENTS

Planning and Organising

The manager supervising the room containing the dishwasher will approve staff for the use of dishwasher subject to their receiving suitable training and their continued use of best practice.

Training and Instruction

Before use, staff must be trained in safe operation of the machine and have the potential hazards explained to them by the manager or steward. Operating instructions are to be posted near to the machine

Work Equipment and Materials

COSHH assessment to be carried out for detergents used.

Now tell me, what manager is going to go through THAT process with you? and that’s just for a dishwasher, you are even supposed to have a health and safety certificate to step foot into a kitchen/canteen food prep area where there are sinks/dishwashers or ovens present.

All it takes is for one colleague to slip on a wet floor and break their leg and the company would have to go through so much litigation it’s not even real.
I honestly think it’s a disgrace canteens and rest-bites got shut down with staff who had the adequate certificates and training to run them safely and now General assistants have even more work to do on top of their already high workloads.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #91 on: 16-10-19, 02:13AM »
Could you possibly post an email address (with the advice of your friend) to a relevant authority, in case colleagues become aware of any breaches of these regulations?

Whistleblower

« Reply #92 on: 16-10-19, 09:40AM »

Long gone

« Reply #93 on: 16-10-19, 10:26AM »
Could you possibly post an email address (with the advice of your friend) to a relevant authority, in case colleagues become aware of any breaches of these regulations?

https://www.food.gov.uk/contactconsumersfind-details/contact-food-standards-agency

There are some email addresses in that link who you can contact and a number to ring for advice on any food or hygiene related matters. I will ask my friend see if he has any other important emails or contacts that can get immediate action too

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #94 on: 16-10-19, 07:25PM »
 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks you guys/girls, I am sure that many on here will be keeping a look out for instances that are allowed to happen through bad management practices at Cessco, and now can be more proactive by contacting the relevant authorities.

Who knows maybe just being aware of people being aware of their rights will nudge some management teams to become proactive themselves, even if their only motivation is self-preservation.

Long gone

« Reply #95 on: 16-10-19, 07:50PM »
Like I stated earlier , there is nothing wrong with being clean and tidy and at least doing your best to clean your mess up, most people in my store wouldn’t do anything as they are so entitled they think it should be done by someone else, I dread to think what their homes are like, but health and safety still has to apply with machinery and even something as seemingly trivial as a dishwasher has to require training and certain legislations to protect you guys. I guarantee no managers will even take things like this seriously ...until someone gets hurt of course

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #96 on: 20-10-19, 01:29PM »
Tesco do not have to supply anything other than a room to eat in away from the work place, free coffee and tea and other sundry items are a bonus. So what they get is moot really if you want to eat in a pig sty go ahead.

And yet they supply the head office staff, who've never done a real day's work in their lives, with a subsidized cafe, complete with daily menu. Which is why I sincerely hope there is a widespread outbreak of serious food poisoning at HO. Preferably just before Christmas... >:D

Whistleblower

« Reply #97 on: 24-10-19, 08:26AM »
Yesterday on BBC website

Headline- poor toilet hygiene behind e.coli superbug

As I've said before cleaning staff going straight into canteens after cleaning toilets without protective clothing, maybe not washing their hands and then touching cutlery crockery and other utensils with faeces still on their clothing,hands and tesco think this is acceptable

E.coli can kill, it can cause miscarriages and  still people with no hygiene training,with no protective clothing are working in kitchen areas with s*** on their hands

It s a disaster waiting to happen

Whiskers

« Reply #98 on: 25-10-19, 08:11AM »
What about bakers going outside for a fag whilst in whites or not changing their footwear? Or about Tesco staff not being able to do basic CAYG when it comes to both the shop floor and in the canteen? What about the customer canteen cafe some of whom also have zero training. But I guess it is easier for people like you to target staff who you think are beneath you and are an easy target...how many stores have you visited and how many cleaning staff have you spoken to regarding the staff canteen setup?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #99 on: 25-10-19, 08:31AM »
The policy exists as part of the HSE or elsewhere, though H&S is everyones responsibility it's up to the SM to enforce safe working practices. Law without enforcement isn't really law at all.