Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-19, 09:55PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61620
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Canteen  (Read 12188 times)

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Canteen
« on: 20-08-19, 05:36PM »
Hi just a quick question how is everyone's canteen now we have lost our canteen staff. Kept clean? Plenty of milk, Coffee tea ?. And clean cups and cutlery to use ?. Thank you

Cazcat

Re: Canteen
« Reply #1 on: 20-08-19, 07:10PM »
Are you joking  ?. Empty vending machines, mostly empty coffee machine, tables filthy, and cups and cutlery disgusting. Staff fridge hasn't been cleaned in months !. An absolute shambles. So much money was wasted setting up with new equipment . Tesco at its best !!!!!.

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #2 on: 20-08-19, 07:32PM »
Thought as much our canteen is the same they expect the cleaners to make sure we have clean cups they can't even do that lol their the joke lol

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 20-08-19, 07:38PM »
One word condemn.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 20-08-19, 07:59PM »
I have nothing but contempt for this company ..
Our canteen is exactly the same...

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #5 on: 20-08-19, 08:00PM »
Ours is an absolute disgrace, such a shame as it used to be great back in the days of full time canteen staff cooking decent food and taking pride in the canteen.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 20-08-19, 08:05PM »
wonder what head office staff are eating this week?
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 20-08-19, 08:19PM »
Can anyone explain why as part of our refresh we went from around 30 seats and tables when the canteen served food to seating for 120 when the only offer is a permanently empty vending machine and a overflowing bin

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 20-08-19, 08:22PM »
Saves on operations budget, feeding staff for a subsidized rate  would push Tesco into the red.

Pochin123

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 20-08-19, 08:28PM »
wonder what head office staff are eating this week?
It's very nice this week. Then again it was nice last week and the week before that. This is what Dave and the gang are having.

https://cdn.ourtesco.com/2019/08/19075647/menu-checkout1.pdf
Has This Been Briefed Out??

beentheredoneit

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #10 on: 20-08-19, 08:43PM »
My superstore store lost its canteen quite a while ago - it took quite a few hiccups - and a few changes of cleaning manager .... to get it to its current very good state......a few tips:
1/ work with the cleaners and support them ordering consumables, mugs etc.They are not the enemy.
2/ Produce manager has A (where no deli manager)
3/ Reinforce clear as you go.
4/ Bread and fruit always available
a few of us miss papers, but as nearly everyone is on their phones, this a limited view
so after the initial shock - and of course sympathy to those who lost their jobs, it was definitely the right decision for this store.
(and I don't say that very often .........
beentheredoneit

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #11 on: 20-08-19, 08:54PM »
Beentheredoneit last week there was nothing to clean with except a toilet roll . The cleaning manager did not know how to turn the dishwasher on. Bins over flowing . No bread empty machines no juice no milk . Its really is not good.  We all want to do our bit but if you have not got the tools what do you do. Seems it's sorted by morning before the boss comes in then left all day so the night team comes onto a mess.

optout

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 20-08-19, 09:54PM »
@Pochin123
Many thanks >:D
I AM NOT A REP, BUT......

Whiskers

« Reply #13 on: 20-08-19, 09:57PM »
To be fair I’m a cleaning manager and the state we come into every morning from his Tesco staff have left it is a joke!! Doesn’t surprise me Tesco are struggling when staff can’t rinse out a plate or put an empty carton in the marked out bins! My evening staff take pics most night to prove how they leave it (around 8-8:30) and then we arrive at 5am to a pigsty!
Of corse the way the cleaning companies run it isn’t as good as when we all had hot food and service throughout the day! The cleaners would have been given minimal (if any) extra hours to run around after Tesco staff end more and many do little to help them out!

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 20-08-19, 10:48PM »
Having worked in the canteen when I first joined a number of years ago I did wonder if some of the people who made the place look like World War Three behaved the same at home  ;).

A friend recently sent me a photo of their canteen; needless to say it's fine if you're after a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar but whoever runs their store doesn't mind leaving the two other empty ones switched on!

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 21-08-19, 12:38AM »
If your staff canteens are in a horrible state then the people who are to blame are your staff. How hard is it to clean up after yourself

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #16 on: 21-08-19, 07:53AM »
Totally agree spike
I come into work in a morning to, more often than not, a complete shambles
How hard is it to tidy up after yourself, obviously way beyond loads of people on evening shift in my store.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 21-08-19, 08:35AM »
When the canteen staff were no more, the cleaning companies and Tesco agreed timescales and job specifics contracts.  Now if the cleaning company's workforce are not being given the time to fulfill and perform these tasks, it is due to their company not adhering to that agreement.

When the canteen staff left, I don't recall agreeing to clean the canteen during my break, wash pots or clear tables? It has always been the rule that everyone should be using a tray, clearing that tray of their rubbish in the refuse bins, then placing that tray with the used cups and cutlery on the shelves of the dollies for washing. I believe there is a rule, that in any canteen, cafe, restaurant etc...where dining sets and cutlery are in constant use, they should go through  a dishwasher, reaching specified temperatures, to ensure they are hygienic for re use.

So if Tesco want their staff to clear tables, and clean as they go, fair enough, give them more break time, if Tesco want their staff using dishwashers, then they need to sign each person off for using that dishwasher..they can't ask them to just rinse their cups and cutlery through for the next person, my standards of cleanliness may be higher, and I certainly wouldn't want to be using a fork with hidden food particles and bacteria from a previous user that just ran it under cold water :o

« Last Edit: 21-08-19, 08:43AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 21-08-19, 08:44AM »
All it will take is for a whole store go I’ll with some virus and maybe they will stop penny pinching and treat the staff right and give them their canteen staff back .Does any one know what diseases we can get from not having clean cutlery and plates ,not sure if dysentery is one maybe cholera.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 21-08-19, 08:46AM »
In our canteen we're meant to scrape and rinse plate then set it in dishwasher tray , when full the cleaners put trays through dishwasher. There is spray cleaner and blue roll to wipe tables .
As nightshift I would like to add that canteen tables are  usually dirty with rubbish on them when we come in .I dont believe they are like that all day but when cleaners go home evening staff also use canteen , dotcom drivers sit around for ages waiting for shift to end etc so if its dirty when nightshift go in , it's not going to inspire them to clean as they go .

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #20 on: 21-08-19, 08:49AM »
I have found out what you can get they are salmonella,listeria,e Coli.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #21 on: 21-08-19, 09:34AM »
So it would seem from the responses, that the standards are not kept on the night shift. I have to admit that our canteen used to have empty packages and dirty cups left on the tables most mornings, and it was a constant complaint from the 7am canteen shift. They were supposed to have a night staff member, whose job description was to cook and clean the canteen as part of their shift, but that was overruled every night by the night manager, who would only allow the prep and cooking time, then back filling on shop floor. So it would seem that the night managers need to be pulling up their teams, regarding disposing of their waste.

However, hearing on here that one cleaning company only covers the canteen up to 8.30 pm. and knowing how many colleagues are still to use it for breaks for the next 10+ hours, where are their facilities? Nobody is washing the pots, replenishing the vends etc...so it would seem again, that their mangers need to be addressing this problem, and ensuring the same facilities and standards afforded to day staff, are available for their teams.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

beentheredoneit

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #22 on: 21-08-19, 09:38AM »
looks like a few stores need to look at their operation. it can - and should be very simple. it needs everyone doing their bit ( i dont believe staff should be filling dishwashers ....
if you are  continually having to clean crockery and cutlery - order more. Simple
beentheredoneit

Bluemoon

« Reply #23 on: 21-08-19, 10:56AM »
Vending machines always empty in ours.
No bottles of water and the water machine is filthy with stinky black water coming out. Fruit nearly always empty.
Cutlery with bits of food still on after it’s been through dishwasher and put out for us to use.
Most of our staff clean up after so that’s not too bad.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #24 on: 21-08-19, 10:58AM »
Before the change I worked in an extra and the canteen was awful and it spiralled down that hardly anyone used it. People were taking in own mugs as none available or at best had to wait to get a clean one. Food only available if you went for break bang on 1200 or 1700 and not everyone able to do so.
I moved stores and great canteen, mugs etc always available and options with hot and cold food. Hard to imagine it was the same company offering such a different service. Some food cooked to order, like omelettes.
Now, not enough mugs and lots of people are bringing in own mugs. Canteen not any worse morning or end of night. Nobody uses the vending machine but colleagues putting drinks and food in fridge then not picking up. They put more in and it builds up so we now have a clear out day.
Nobody cleaning tables, nobody uses trays as they are not washed. To me it just feels like being back in the extra I used to work in, when we had a manned canteen.