Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-10-19, 06:31AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8505
  • Latest: Foysi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61663
  • Total Topics: 1083
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 51
Total: 52

Author Topic: Stock control  (Read 15702 times)

King1999

• Regular Pain
Re: Stock control
« Reply #50 on: 10-09-19, 05:38PM »
All your points are valid ask your manager to work a Sunday with you......that’s a reasonable request from you......at the end of the day your not paid to take the flak she is.

Siwel123

« Reply #51 on: 10-09-19, 07:38PM »
Am i actually allowed to ask my managers work with me  ;D
.i don't want to ruffle too many feathers, i rely on overtime to top my wages up as my basic is not what i need, so I'm just a tad worried doing this may cause other managers to deny me overtime

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #52 on: 10-09-19, 10:20PM »
No your stock control manager needs to see what your up against,your not doing it to cause trouble.

Siwel123

« Reply #53 on: 10-09-19, 11:26PM »
Thanks, just trying to draw up my letter now, would it be better to maybe just ask in person? Or should i do a letter?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #54 on: 11-09-19, 06:29AM »
If you're concerned of causing trouble, ask your manager for a lets talk, have all your concerns written down, and present them to her at the meeting. If you've got a photocopier, give her the copy, she'l wonder where/ why you've got the original. If she doesn't arrange a lets talk within a reasonable timescale, then write her a letter, dated and signed, asking for a meeting, and state within what timescale, she'll then be more aware as you have put the request in writing, that you may be thinking of a grievance?
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Totalb

« Reply #55 on: 11-09-19, 12:34PM »
I'm in the same boat regarding a Sunday. Only 1 in on a 6 hour shift and have to gap scan the entire store, do all 142s, final reductions and horticulture count so I feel your pain. Not to mention adding in the EOP bakery count every few weeks its a nightmare. Been many a Sunday now where I've missed breaks and still got out late but quite naturally it falls on deaf ears and I still get questioned as to why I sometimes don't get the horti count done. Same old issues of grocery gaps being ridiculously high and I can easily spend a good 2 hours on that side alone. Quite how final reductions got pushed onto me is beyond me as yet again it can be quite a time consuming job if the well is rammed full especially the new having to use review to do it. So much quicker and easier in the past than having to constantly go back and forth between screens as auto review doesn't play ball every few items.

Siwel123

« Reply #56 on: 11-09-19, 12:49PM »
Wow and i thought I had it bad, I would approach your manager too buddy because that is not on at all.

Horti count is a ball ache, but to be given finals as well. No way, that's the departments job to do their own final reductions.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #57 on: 11-09-19, 02:34PM »
I'm in the same boat regarding a Sunday. Only 1 in on a 6 hour shift and have to gap scan the entire store, do all 142s, final reductions and horticulture count so I feel your pain. Not to mention adding in the EOP bakery count every few weeks its a nightmare. Been many a Sunday now where I've missed breaks and still got out late but quite naturally it falls on deaf ears and I still get questioned as to why I sometimes don't get the horti count done. Same old issues of grocery gaps being ridiculously high and I can easily spend a good 2 hours on that side alone. Quite how final reductions got pushed onto me is beyond me as yet again it can be quite a time consuming job if the well is rammed full especially the new having to use review to do it. So much quicker and easier in the past than having to constantly go back and forth between screens as auto review doesn't play ball every few items.

Never, ever, go without your full break entitlement. Not only is it your right, but to forgo it to try to finish your workload, is giving a false interpretation of the fact that the tasks allocated to you are manageable. Your not doing yourself any favours, or any other colleague who is tasked with the same workload in the time constraints, and told it is manageable, using you as the example.
Like Siwel, I would make a note of the times you are taking to do the tasks, and what comparison to others with less workload/ more time allocation, including your break entitlement. If you don't finish your workload at the end of your shift, you handover to your manager what needs completing. If you are questioned as to why it's not completed, hand your detailed timetable of the day, tell them you have made a copy for your own records and just walk away, clock off and go home. Sometimes less is more, the less you explain yourself, and just provide the timetable, shows clearly that you are not intending to explain yourself anymore.
« Last Edit: 11-09-19, 02:36PM by lucgeo »

mommydearest

« Reply #58 on: 11-09-19, 05:07PM »
I work a 9 hour Sunday shift and do PI, grocery and fresh gap scan, 142 counts and full pot red scan. Pleased that I kept my job but disappointed I still have the Sunday shift. Will wait to see what the routines are like after the change but if things don't improve I will consider dropping the Sunday as it is just too much work

Siwel123

« Reply #59 on: 12-09-19, 11:16PM »
I work a 9 hour Sunday shift and do PI, grocery and fresh gap scan, 142 counts and full pot red scan. Pleased that I kept my job but disappointed I still have the Sunday shift. Will wait to see what the routines are like after the change but if things don't improve I will consider dropping the Sunday as it is just too much work

Are you struggling to do it all within the time restraints too?

Siwel123

« Reply #60 on: 12-09-19, 11:18PM »
Wish me luck as I'm off to request the meeting tomorrow with my current manager and the manager that's taking over.

I'll let you all know how it's received and hopefully she doesn't lock me in the freezer and conveniently forget about me

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #61 on: 13-09-19, 06:34AM »
Good luck, make it clear you want a meeting though. They might just ask what it's about and then fob you off there and then, with a flippant remark or they'll look into it!

Stand your ground, produce your written queries for answering, and don't bleat, just keep calm and precise. Remember you're the one asking the questions, and wanting the answers. Ask to see the role pack and time allocation for the duties of the shift. If they still insist that it's manageable, ask for a capability study to be done!

Siwel123

« Reply #62 on: 13-09-19, 10:16AM »
Cheers buddy, my manager is pretty decent and has a reputation of sticking up for and helping her staff. The new one, not so much.

I've got my written list of questions/complaints and a copy for them too

mommydearest

« Reply #63 on: 13-09-19, 06:08PM »

Are you struggling to do it all within the time restraints too?

Absolutely.  I rush the gapscans as I know I would struggle to complete the other jobs if i spent the required time needed to do a thorough gap scan.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #64 on: 13-09-19, 07:01PM »
.i don't want to ruffle too many feathers, i rely on overtime to top my wages up as my basic is not what i need, so I'm just a tad worried doing this may cause other managers to deny me overtime
Managers are good and that when they hold all the cards...dont worry mate theirs is coming soon and I myself will be laughing my rubbish off..bring on the purge!!!!
« Last Edit: 13-09-19, 07:05PM by takethemoneyandrun »

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #65 on: 13-09-19, 07:03PM »
Out of interest if your doing a merch on a department and it has large wrote by the side of it what does it mean ?

Siwel123

« Reply #66 on: 13-09-19, 10:06PM »
Manager agreed to have a sit down chat within the next week to discuss my concerns as she was a bit busy tonight. So hopefully I'll be able to express my concerns to her soon.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #67 on: 13-09-19, 11:20PM »
Takethemoney I'd imagine it means that it's a large range change.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #68 on: 14-09-19, 04:38AM »
Does that require more than one person.. :thumbup:

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #69 on: 14-09-19, 11:13AM »
Manager agreed to have a sit down chat within the next week to discuss my concerns as she was a bit busy tonight. So hopefully I'll be able to express my concerns to her soon.

Check her rota's for the next week, for when you're both there at the same time. Don't let it ride. Suggest a date and time when you are both available during the week, be aware of rumble, handover, MOC meeting times that she may not be available.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #70 on: 15-09-19, 04:43PM »
Managers are good and that when they hold all the cards...dont worry mate theirs is coming soon and I myself will be laughing my rubbish off..bring on the purge!!!!

Why would you not be allowed to do overtime because you have ruffled feathers. The managers would never be able to deliver the store if they did this. If your SM is letting this happen clearly they and the manager do not care about customer service and should be disciplined.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #71 on: 16-09-19, 10:41PM »
I've known of fellow colleagues to be on an overtime ban for calling in sick when agreeing to it in principle or when there's an overtime cutback-until they've realised the workload they have and the amount of people who aren't contracted to those particular nights... and suddenly it isn't a problem  ???.

I've known some managers expect people to deliver the workload that would require the support of at least one other person for half of the shift... they flatly refuse because they (the managers) can do it in X amount of time and when challenged can't answer  :-X.

So, if they turn around and say they aren't giving you overtime... do what they do-in one ear and out the other!!

And take my money... a large range change would need at least two people in my opinion.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #72 on: 17-09-19, 04:17AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).
Whatajoke2019..I am new to stock control and merchandising  and have only just been told this information but thought I would get it clarified..
I thought the reason the cut merc hrs down was because the company was no longer going to do stupid moves that serves no purpose and certainly is of no use to the customer...but apparently the moves are still big..it is impossible to complete these moves when only one person is doing it..there's no one to help all the experienced sc went in the last cull..

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #73 on: 17-09-19, 01:40PM »
We had 2 full time merchandisers plus manager (he has more roles now).  Both been made redundant. Role been offered to some kid who wanted to drop hours so he could get more benefits.  So he as a part timer (2 shifts) can't do big move and he is bad merchandiser, very bad.  it went to situation where mgr had to work double shift to make move on one aisle.  But he is not going to do that  all the time.  Now store is advertising to reinstate all lost hours as its coming to very busy period of the year.

Doubt it will be filled. When I look at those vacancies plastered over the wall I see few hundreds of jobs just in our group (our store is 20+) offering Max 22.5h hours except shift leaders being offered 36.5h.

Suckyourmum19

« Reply #74 on: 17-09-19, 02:22PM »
Administrator Comment Please post same question in one thread only. Nomad