Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-11-19, 08:08AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62445
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 216
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 149
Total: 152

Author Topic: Stock control  (Read 16466 times)

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
Re: Stock control
« Reply #25 on: 23-08-19, 02:39PM »
If the SM cared that much he/she would do it and not leave some numpty to do the work.  >:D

RandomJim

« Reply #26 on: 23-08-19, 03:58PM »
To be fair .. I’ve been on stock control for about 8 years now. I got changed on the first change of hours and now I have to work Saturdays on this latest change of hours.
I actually don’t care that much these days about the store or department . About do the job ... and with doing it I notice how wrong either our store, or the whole process is (in regards to GM overs).
I enjoyed today as I found everything on gapscan and put it out coz I know it wouldn’t be put out otherwise ... I’m certain the heat maps are wrong .. for my store and sight into the business ... it’s a shambles and I can’t wait to get out.

mommydearest

« Reply #27 on: 23-08-19, 07:13PM »
Are you guys expected to out products you find in the back out?
I don't think I've ever filled the gaps that I've found the products for
heatmap says we have the hours to do this. We don't, so left for replenishment to fill .
In our store we (SC) are expected to put out stock we find in the warehouse/chillers. And yes the non-removal of tos is infuriating.

Cornishpasty

« Reply #28 on: 25-08-19, 09:35PM »
If the SM cared that much he/she would do it and not leave some numpty to do the work.  >:D
To be fair .. I’ve been on stock control for about 8 years now. I got changed on the first change of hours and now I have to work Saturdays on this latest change of hours.
I actually don’t care that much these days about the store or department . About do the job ... and with doing it I notice how wrong either our store, or the whole process is (in regards to GM overs).
I enjoyed today as I found everything on gapscan and put it out coz I know it wouldn’t be put out otherwise ... I’m certain the heat maps are wrong .. for my store and sight into the business ... it’s a shambles and I can’t wait to get out.

Shoestring

« Reply #29 on: 28-08-19, 06:29PM »
Hi everyone,

Im hoping someone will be able to help.
I started my new role as a non food stock controller 3 weeks ago and im loving it so far but im having a little bit of a problem with gap scan.
Today i was on my department by  myself  and when i did my gap scan on health and beauty i had 72 gaps i set them all to zero and then submitted it but then when i went to the control room to do my first reportand 5514 nothing that i had gapped was there. my manager wasnt in but i manged to find my colleague to ask what i had done wrong. He looked at my pda and saw that i had done  them so at first he thought the system might be down because we had a power cut yesterday so went back out on the shopfloor and he did a gap on his pda and then went back to the control room and checked 5514 and his gap was there. We were both confused and we both dont know what went wrong? Am i missing doing something? Am i doing something wrong?
Also my manager messaged me a while ago and told me that we have to start doing a low line scan when gap scanning. How do i do that? I have never been shown.
I hope someone will be able to help me, thanks for reading.

Are you certain you did not gap scan on overs function?
Why do you go to 5514 after gap scanning? You need to locate stock before you 5514, 5514 should be the last action before obtaining your 535 report. 5514 contains scans that drop off the list from gap print. That sounds like cheating to me.
You also do not need to submit gap scan, it is automatic, you also don't need to set to zero as that too is automatic unless you are on the wrong function, sounds like you have gone into ... erm forget what it's called, when you check for dual location and back room counts under low line exceptions???

To low line stock along side gap scan is basically gap scan, make sure you are on stock exceptions, lows as you do for gap scanning, instead of pressing gap, check capacity and adjust if necessary. Only do this for genuine low lines, i.e, one or two items on the shelf, check stock record for error and add in as necessary, choose the default option and submit if no errors found, that is low lining. This is the only way to keep capacity in check and keep your manager happy. It takes longer, but is the job. Gap scanning is basically low lining, you just press gap instead of adjusting anything else.  :thumbup:

Shoestring

« Reply #30 on: 28-08-19, 06:31PM »
Strange as 5514 shows me our shrink? Is it difderent for every store then?

No, 5514 shows gap scan and shrink result from gap scan.

Shoestring

« Reply #31 on: 28-08-19, 06:36PM »
Not a clue what has gone wrong, by isn't 5514 shrink?i thought to chwvk gaps you went on 534 and then to confirm 535? Or maybe that's food stock only.

Your manager or a colleague needs to train you on lows, it's not a hard task but you need showing properly
Yes basically, 534 is printed gap scan, 5514 is gap scan and shrink result from gap scan that will change as you remove lines from gap scan. 5511 is tpn line quick view and shrink that we don't do any more. It is the same across the store.

Shoestring

« Reply #32 on: 28-08-19, 06:46PM »

It is not your job to fill, unless your manager asks you to do so. Otherwise it is entirely up to you, if it makes gap scanning the following day easier then fill or leave it to one side and hope the fillers fill it.
If you work in the same store as myself then you can forget that, there's more chance of a tumble weed filling than a human being... seriously!  :P

Siwel123

« Reply #33 on: 28-08-19, 09:43PM »
Agreed on that, i don't put any of my gaps out, so was just checking that's right. I only do gapa 1 day a week so it doesn't affect me the next day  ;D

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #34 on: 29-08-19, 12:26PM »

It is not your job to fill, unless your manager asks you to do so. Otherwise it is entirely up to you, if it makes gap scanning the following day easier then fill or leave it to one side and hope the fillers fill it.
If you work in the same store as myself then you can forget that, there's more chance of a tumble weed filling than a human being... seriously!  :P

Don't do anything unless asked.

Confused.com

« Reply #35 on: 30-08-19, 10:41AM »
Do any of you work in express? Have you been told there is now no such thing as a stock control position? I have to be a ca now with shift leaders picking up stock control routines.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 30-08-19, 10:46AM »
In express, the only contracted positions are ca's, shift leaders and SM, Head Office deems express easier than other formats, as a result, you have the admin doing the job of wage clerk and cash office assistant but still classed as a ca despite the express admin role being more difficult than superstore wage clerk role. Same with the SC.

In most stores the SL's do gap scan (occasionally the stockie does it) but the stock controller has to keep on top of scheduled lows and overs, mismatch and mispicks among their other duties.

They don't get the skill payments either despite doing what their superstore counterparts do and more.

Despite all of that though, Express SL's are the most mugged off position in Tesco, their responsibilities are greater than TM's (they normally have responsibility for the whole shop) but are paid less than TM's.
« Last Edit: 30-08-19, 10:54AM by NightAndDay »

express whizz kid

« Reply #37 on: 30-08-19, 06:08PM »
Has anyone in metro stock control survived this round?

RandomJim

« Reply #38 on: 05-09-19, 03:04PM »
I know this was probably answered ages ago but going back to the original point ... it seems .. that when gap scan is done on the stock exceptions system, it will record a gap normally if it has a single location ... if it asks for a dual location, it doesn’t seem to self zero the gap unless the other location is also gapped ... but still comes on the gap scan report

Siwel123

« Reply #39 on: 09-09-19, 10:56AM »
Having massive issues at work at the moment and honestly feel like trying to get a transfer from stock control to another department because it's just getting far too stressful.

Everyone else in the department gets a minimum of 4 and a quarter hours, to do a gapscan and counts on one side of the store  so either grocery or fresh, one women even has 6 hours to do it in, but osi on grocery capping shelves as an extra job.

However I've 8 hours, which in reality is 7 with my break, to do gaps on fresh and grocery and counts on fresh and grocery. It just seems so unfair that then I'm getting chased up by the duty manager on my progress, getting lets talk if they manage to find stuff I don't, when I barely have time to do it. I have half an hour less per side then everyone else, on a really busy day. And then they chuck extra jobs at me such as the end of period bakery count.

Siwel123

« Reply #40 on: 09-09-19, 11:36AM »
Just talked to another colleague that I don't normally see and she gets 5 hours to do the grocery side, and she was shocked that I get 7 to do the whole thing.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #41 on: 09-09-19, 10:00PM »
How come you have to do it all and others only do certain areas...., same old question where’s your managers support.I struggle with just the grocery,frozen,bws and household tbf there were 2 of us full time pre May now just me and we struggled then.Only job that I do less of is low lines the rest has stayed pretty much.c2o and consumables have stuck with me aswell.Also what states the replenishment side of things not good in our store which always slows you down.......sounds like you got a right bunch of tits on a power trip...is it just you getting let’s talk rubbish.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #42 on: 10-09-19, 06:35AM »
Having massive issues at work at the moment and honestly feel like trying to get a transfer from stock control to another department because it's just getting far too stressful.

Everyone else in the department gets a minimum of 4 and a quarter hours, to do a gapscan and counts on one side of the store  so either grocery or fresh, one women even has 6 hours to do it in, but osi on grocery capping shelves as an extra job.

However I've 8 hours, which in reality is 7 with my break, to do gaps on fresh and grocery and counts on fresh and grocery. It just seems so unfair that then I'm getting chased up by the duty manager on my progress, getting lets talk if they manage to find stuff I don't, when I barely have time to do it. I have half an hour less per side then everyone else, on a really busy day. And then they chuck extra jobs at me such as the end of period bakery count.

Ask for a lets talk meeting with your manager, and advise them that due to your current mental wellbeing, you'd like a rep ( colleague if your not a union member ) present. Put the request for a lets talk in writing, dated, and state a time frame for them to hold this meeting by.

Write down specifically what you want to say at the meeting. e.g.
You believe you are being treated unfairly, and expected to complete your tasks in less allocated hours, in comparison to other colleagues. Can they tell you why this is the case??
Can you see the job description and hour allocation in the description?
With regard receiving a lets talk for NOT finding stock...you shouldn't be finding stock, they shouldn't be finding stock, it should be out on the shelves, so the fact that it isn't, is down to stock not being put out, so why is that your fault?? Why are you receiving a preliminary route to a disciplinary for something that is not of your making, and the buck does not stop with you!! You are a cog in a wheel, one team etc...so to take you down this route for being only part of the issue, is unfair, as you only are part of the chain!
Also, to give you a lets talk, for not finding the stock they have found, is insulting, as they are not acknowledging the stock you have found during your shift! You may have found stock in other areas during your shift, you can't be everywhere and find all missing stock at the same time, so while their finding one item, perhaps in a random location on the shop floor, you're arse in air, in the outer realms of the warehouse, checking through numerous cages for a single item >:(
« Last Edit: 10-09-19, 06:38AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #43 on: 10-09-19, 08:22AM »
To add to this further, your job is stock control...you investigate the missing stock to confirm if it is a book stock error, late delivery, missing delivery or to highlight high value  discrepancies.
If you find it instore sitting on a cage in the warehouse, dual location or on the wrong shelf or aisle, this is a FILLING ISSUE, and should be treated as such. These are the people who should be having a lets talk. Print off your 535 report to highlight how many instores you found on any given day, mark next to them where they were found, and any regular occurrences of the same stock not being put out! Your manager should be looking at this report daily.

Siwel123

« Reply #44 on: 10-09-19, 10:27AM »
Thank you both so much, it's incredibly frustrating that i keep getting it in the kneck about not finding some stock when it was sat somewhere on a cage in a warehouse. I don't have time to rifle through all the cages to find the stock but then suffer the consequences of not doing so.

It's definitley frustrating to see stock sitting in the warehouse and then me being the one in trouble for it.

I'm definitely going to request the meeting with my manager once she is back from holiday, am i allowed to request any colleague though as I'm not in the union? How would you go about getting a manager to have a meeting with you? How do i put in a request?

Siwel123

« Reply #45 on: 10-09-19, 11:36AM »
How come you have to do it all and others only do certain areas...., same old question where’s your managers support.I struggle with just the grocery,frozen,bws and household tbf there were 2 of us full time pre May now just me and we struggled then.Only job that I do less of is low lines the rest has stayed pretty much.c2o and consumables have stuck with me aswell.Also what states the replenishment side of things not good in our store which always slows you down.......sounds like you got a right bunch of tits on a power trip...is it just you getting let’s talk rubbish.

The reason i have both sides to do, is I've longer hours on that day so am expected too. All other days have one person in the morning doing grovery and one during the day doing fresh. However as I've been given 8 hour shift, I'm expected to do both sides.

Yep, replenishment isn't great, i would say i find a third of the missing items in the back probably, so that clearly shows a lack of proper filling.

Yep, only one getting lets talk, this is because everyone else gets longer to do the job so obviously they do better at gaps and counts.
Take this for example, one colleague comes in at 8 and finishes at 13.15, this means minus breaks they've 5 hours to do gaps and counts on the grocery side.

I come in at 8 and finish at 4, minus breaks I've a 7 hour window in which i must do grocery gaps, grocery counts, fresh gaps and fresh counts, which to me means I've 2 extra hours to do a whole extra side.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #46 on: 10-09-19, 02:44PM »

The reason i have both sides to do, is I've longer hours on that day so am expected too. All other days have one person in the morning doing grovery and one during the day doing fresh. However as I've been given 8 hour shift, I'm expected to do both sides.

Yep, replenishment isn't great, i would say i find a third of the missing items in the back probably, so that clearly shows a lack of proper filling.

Yep, only one getting lets talk, this is because everyone else gets longer to do the job so obviously they do better at gaps and counts.
Take this for example, one colleague comes in at 8 and finishes at 13.15, this means minus breaks they've 5 hours to do gaps and counts on the grocery side.

I come in at 8 and finish at 4, minus breaks I've a 7 hour window in which i must do grocery gaps, grocery counts, fresh gaps and fresh counts, which to me means I've 2 extra hours to do a whole extra side.

Far too much for you to do on your own,unreasonable work load.Sounds like your manager should be kicking off with the duty and replenshiment,are you new to stock control by the way just wondering what kind of trading you were given......If an area hasn't been filled you shouldn't gap it save yourself time.I leave areas if filling is poor no point doing it time isn't a premium anymore.

Siwel123

« Reply #47 on: 10-09-19, 03:18PM »
Started stock control in January, but only have been doing gap scans once a week since the whole restructure thing.
Gap scan training was 1 shift with someone and that has been it really, I've had a little bit of help now and again but not a lot.

The problem is the duty is told the area is filled properly or to the best of their ability, then I find loads of gaps and then find loads of that stuff in the back warehouse.

It is, just putting it simply, really pissing me off. I don't particularly like Tesco or plan to make a career here, but I put in loads of effort as I don't like letting people down or not doing a task 100%. So I'm running myself ragged, trying to get all these jobs done, not doing them as good as I know I can as I don't have time and then duty just swan in and say we need a lets talk as I've found stuff you didn't in the back. Well no wonder you did, you spent half an hour looking in the back for this stuff.

Sorry about ranting but honestly I feel like calling in sick on Sundays so I don't have to deal with it.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #48 on: 10-09-19, 04:10PM »
Thank you both so much, it's incredibly frustrating that i keep getting it in the kneck about not finding some stock when it was sat somewhere on a cage in a warehouse. I don't have time to rifle through all the cages to find the stock but then suffer the consequences of not doing so.

It's definitley frustrating to see stock sitting in the warehouse and then me being the one in trouble for it.

I'm definitely going to request the meeting with my manager once she is back from holiday, am i allowed to request any colleague though as I'm not in the union? How would you go about getting a manager to have a meeting with you? How do i put in a request?

Before you start your shift, you ask the night duty manager for a hand over on which of your aisles have been fully worked and which haven't? If that manager states it's all been worked, then you gapscan it all. If you then find the stock in the back, it is a filling issue, and needs highlighting on your 535 as such. You should be keeping a copy of the reports, so if another manager or your manager questions why they're finding stock, that you haven't instored you produce your copy of the 535 showing how many items you HAVE  instored, after you were told it was fully worked.
If the night duty states an aisle or section of aisle hasn't been fully worked, you don't gap that aisle or section.akways make a note on your 535 which duty manager handed over to you that morning.

You give your manager a letter, dated and signed to request a lets talk within the next seven days and advise that you will be requesting the support of a colleague sit in.  You can request any colleague, if they are willing to sit in. If your manager says you can't have someone in, as it's an informal, tell them you feel you need their moral support as you are suffering with stress and don't want to become  "emotionally flooded" ( Tesco speak )
Put all your points across in the meeting, even ask for a capability study, if you feel your manager is suggesting you should have the time to do twice as much in half the time allocation of your colleagues.

Are you able to manage without the Sunday pay?? If so, you can just drop the Sunday by opting out of Sunday working, if not, in the meeting, give your manager the impression that you are thinking of opting out of Sunday working due to the constant singling out of you by managers to unfairly criticise your work. As long as you still have a contract of 7.5 hours, which is the minimum contract Tesco do, they know they can't stop you opting out.

Siwel123

« Reply #49 on: 10-09-19, 05:01PM »
I can't really afford the drop in pay at the moment but i definitley could suggest that i would be willing to drop it, if needs must, I'd just do a lot more overtime.

Ok, night managers never tell me what has been worked or not as they've normally gone home by then. I just ask the duty who is on at the time. So i should record that I've asked them and which aisles haven't been worked.

We keep a copy of the 534 and 535 in a folder, it's cleared out every 2 weeks i believe. I'm definitley going to start recording what stuff was found in the back and what stuff on the shop floor on ends and power aisles.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm definitely going to request a meeting with my manager and the non food manager as well as the non food manager is becoming our manager in about a month after a handover period.
My points would be
1. Not enough time provided to complete all tasks, compared to other workers I'm severely disadvantaged.
2. Being given extra duties such as end of period bakery count, when i don't have enough time as it's.
3. Poor filling which makes my job 10x harder.
4. Lack of communication from the nights team and the duty on the state of each aisle. Plus lack of support when I've asked for it.
5. Being given lets talk for issues that are not caused by me.
6. What help are they going to give me, otherwise i may opt out.

Would you suggest writing the points down and giving them a copy of the points?