Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-10-19, 06:22AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8505
  • Latest: Foysi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61663
  • Total Topics: 1083
  • Online Today: 135
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 47
Total: 49

Author Topic: Pfs breaks  (Read 2842 times)

Penny

• alice
Pfs breaks
« on: 19-08-19, 09:01AM »
Hi
Can anyone who works in pfs tell me if they always get break cover and if not do they get paid? Our pfs is in the north of England and very busy. We always get disturbed on our breaks to assist customers etc. We very seldom get support from store even though we are meant to be double manned at all time.

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter
Re: Pfs breaks
« Reply #1 on: 19-08-19, 09:46AM »
In my store pfs breaks are done by checkouts and are very strictly adhered to. We’d never leave them without a break and would get in trouble if we did. Seems like your store manager needs to be spoken to cos not getting break relief if you need it is not right at all

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #2 on: 19-08-19, 09:52AM »
Your manager should be arranging break cover with store daily. At least 30 mins before your break is due, you should be reminding the store that you need cover, and you will not be taking your break until the cover arrives, which could result in a grievance if you go over the legal time for taking your breaks.

Who disturbs your break?? If your break is disturbed for any work related reason, then the clock for your break resets to the full amount...therefore if you are on a 30 minute break and you are asked to assist, then regardless of how much break you have had, even if you only had a few minutes left, it resets to the full 30 minutes. Don't be fobbed off with you can have the rest of it later, go back and take the rest of it at another time etc...
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #3 on: 19-08-19, 10:20AM »
First have an informal discussion about the issue and remind him about worktime regulations that you are at a government level minimum meant to have a 20 minute break every 6 hours and Tesco policy and your contract showing you are meant to get x amount of break, if he laughs it off, raise it with the personnell manager reminding him/her of employment law in this regard, I would also get video evidence of you not getting required breaks etc, if the personnell manager doesn't do anything, go down the grievance route citing your manager breaking working time regulations and breaking the terms of your contract regarding hours worked, eventually they'll either have to resolve the issue or face the ruling of an employment tribunal/health and safety executive.

Penny

• alice
« Reply #4 on: 19-08-19, 11:26AM »
Thanks for replies. We have tried numerous times to get checkouts to cover it last for a few days then they “ forget” to send someone. The breaks getting disturbed is by customers forgetting to press button or disabled people needing assistance to fill. We know about the break resetting but again it’s the other colleague who who suffer as they would be left single manned for even longer. We seem to be the forgotten department. I will try suggestions you have made re store manager agin but not holding out much hope !

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 19-08-19, 12:07PM »
I find that when a store has an issue like that, no amount of complaining and no matter how many times you raise it through the proper channels, nothing will ever change until there’s a change in management

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #6 on: 19-08-19, 02:29PM »
Dear Penny, I'm sorry to hear that you are being taken advantage of in your PFS as we are in ours.  You are entitled to your breaks and there has to be two people on duty at all times.  If we don't get our breaks in our garage, we just shut the garage, cones out, doors and pumps locked.  Defiantly warn checkouts and duty manager that you're going to do this first and then, if you don't get your breaks, just do it.   I know what you mean about being the forgotten department, we feel the same way. 

Aero

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 19-08-19, 02:47PM »
Tesco Policy from 2014, which is still current. Just show your manager this.  8)

Siwel123

« Reply #8 on: 19-08-19, 03:23PM »
I've had issues too, on a 8 hour shift but only got 30 mins break, they say they will pay me for the break, but can i refuse and ask to take it regardless?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #9 on: 19-08-19, 03:38PM »
In my store pfs breaks are done by checkouts and are very strictly adhered to. We’d never leave them without a break and would get in trouble if we did. Seems like your store manager needs to be spoken to cos not getting break relief if you need it is not right at all

This and more of this.

Its quite a hot topic PFS breaks as Tesco just paid out loads of money for just this some people I know got a couple of grand.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 19-08-19, 04:47PM »
Forrest the payout was for the time it takes to walk from clock machine to pfs to start and back at end of shift  , not to make up for missed breaks .

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 19-08-19, 05:27PM »
I've had issues too, on a 8 hour shift but only got 30 mins break, they say they will pay me for the break, but can i refuse and ask to take it regardless?

You are entitled to your full break. If they tell you that you may not get it all, as they have no cover, ask them are they refusing you your full entitlement? The onus is on them to provide cover, not to suggest that the fault will be yours if you don't get to take all of your entitlement due to staffing shortages. They're paid to manage, let them manage the situation.

Siwel123

« Reply #12 on: 19-08-19, 05:28PM »

You are entitled to your full break. If they tell you that you may not get it all, as they have no cover, ask them are they refusing you your full entitlement? The onus is on them to provide cover, not to suggest that the fault will be yours if you don't get to take all of your entitlement due to staffing shortages. They're paid to manage, let them manage the situation.

So i can refuse payment and ask for my full break allowance then?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 19-08-19, 06:20PM »
Yes

HildaHills

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #14 on: 20-08-19, 07:40AM »
I’d call the protector line if you don’t get any joy, it’s there to help staff(supposedly ) we weren’t getting break cover now the store have a list of our Rotas with breaks needed at the bottom. Not 100% but it’s a slight improvement. Defiantly the forgotten department that is until someone either gets a complaint or there’s some kind of drama, then they want to know!

Gorgeous69

« Reply #15 on: 20-08-19, 04:23PM »
All breaks should be covered two assistants at all times!!,  support for other jobs are a bit and miss

Penny

• alice
« Reply #16 on: 20-08-19, 05:37PM »
Thanks for all replies and suggestions

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 27-08-19, 06:27PM »
I know I am going to get a right telling-off for hopping onto someone else's topic, but have forgot how to ask a question. How many of great Tesco family of workers have received demands from HRMC for 4 weeks tax & nhi?   I believed(like a mug) that the payroll dept deducted that off before we were paid. If so, what has Tesco Head Orifice done with all that collected dosh if we are expected to make contributions ourselves.
Just asking as I was one of the great unwashed disposed of in May.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #18 on: 27-08-19, 06:33PM »
The 14 pay periods scenario is outside the remit of PAYE systems and needs to be dealt with directly with the HMRC, HMRC instructs Tesco on Student loans, tax and n.i elements of your payslip, Tesco doesn't calculate these they just input the numbers as instructed by HMRC.

Also makes interesting reading https://moneysoft.co.uk/support/week-53-payments/
« Last Edit: 27-08-19, 06:37PM by NightAndDay »

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 27-08-19, 07:17PM »
@spaceranger , they will adjust tax code to accommodate this , I dont think you have to actually hand over the money  or that is how I read my letter .

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #20 on: 28-08-19, 09:16PM »
@spaceranger , they will adjust tax code to accommodate this , I dont think you have to actually hand over the money  or that is how I read my letter .
I know of at least two colleagues,still employed and one who was let go have received tax demands. word is that just about all staff should be affected if they were employed last tax year. Awaiting mine.

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #21 on: 28-08-19, 09:20PM »
The 14 pay periods scenario is outside the remit of PAYE systems and needs to be dealt with directly with the HMRC, HMRC instructs Tesco on Student loans, tax and n.i elements of your payslip, Tesco doesn't calculate these they just input the numbers as instructed by HMRC.

Also makes interesting reading https://moneysoft.co.uk/support/week-53-payments/
It would have been helpful if that had been passed along, rather than just a leaflet warning you of future demands.I still can't understand why that hadn't been done inhouse. I don't ever remember getting an untaxed wage.I have checked all payslips I can access and they all have tax & NHI reductions.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #22 on: 28-08-19, 09:41PM »
I think the part that confuses a lot of people is the tax free allowance amount added to the extra pay period, despite week 53 technically being in the same tax year, a tax free allowance buffer is applied, a straight 20% isn't deducted in that period (assuming you are already over the tax free allowance by that period) the money people would owe if they were to pay the full 20% on that pay period if not for the tax free allowance buffer would be the difference in what you actually paid (as a result of the tax free allowance buffer applied to that period) and how much you should have paid (20% straight  if earnings already over the lower tax threshold).

The reason most people would never come across an untaxed wage under 4 weekly PAYE systems is because this scenario is extremely unlikely to happen, I believe i read somewhere that if the current pay pattern exists, the next occurence where the 14th pay period  would occur is something like 2-300 years in the future.
« Last Edit: 28-08-19, 09:49PM by NightAndDay »

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #23 on: 28-08-19, 10:44PM »
I know of at least two colleagues,still employed and one who was let go have received tax demands. word is that just about all staff should be affected if they were employed last tax year. Awaiting mine.

I have had a letter from tax office telling me I owe £180 and if I dont contact them it will be taken from my wages via an adjusted tax code  in 20/21 tax year . Many colleagues have had similar letters , one had his tax code adjusted in may . Some have decided to pay the full amount most will just let them take it 2020/21 tax year .

Spaceranger1

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: 29-08-19, 11:41AM »
I had worked for Tesco for over 46 years and can not recall this ever happening before.As per company policy, the information given to staff at the time seems to have been grossly uninformative. Surely to hell the company taxed us on every wage, so where did this mysterious demand come from? It hasn't just materialised out of thin air. Is this just a move to cover DL's bonus? via the misappropriation of tax and nhi monies :D ;D (-*-)