Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
12-11-19, 09:29AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62299
  • Total Topics: 1097
  • Online Today: 164
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Job Description  (Read 8893 times)

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
Re: Job Description
« Reply #25 on: 14-09-19, 11:23AM »
Job roles 🤔. Our community champion has had her hours taken off her (lack of hours and department move.
Which now means community for donations etc are down to other colleagues who work on customer service desk...
can we refuse to do this as not in our job description.

Hours for community depends on store size but falls under "off till activity" on the tablet and should be coded as such through wages. Letters have to be written in reply to requests, trackers have to be kept at audit level. Filling in the tracker can be done at the desk but unles you are double manned and know how to get on to the system to write letters you are not able to do so. Letters from groups need to be on headed paper so a large amount of request come down via email now. You need access to that too. If you are unable to do this you need to feed this back. Community is part of the big six score so it needs to be handled correctly or will quickly go red. There is a whole training pack, it's not just a matter of handing out gift cards or goods. Like anything, you should not be asked to do anything you are not trained for, and if it goes wrong you are not responsible as not trained. If your store wants to hand over one measure of the big 6 to untrained and unwilling colleagues they will very soon find out it was not a good idea.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 14-09-19, 11:28AM »
Is the community champion job code under the checkout job code umbrella  8-)
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #27 on: 14-09-19, 11:32AM »
Yes, it's under "off till activity" so team support.

LittleMiss

« Reply #28 on: 14-09-19, 09:05PM »
Thanks for information on community.. nice to know where we stand on this. Next time we get asked to do a donation or raffle prizes you can imagine what will be said 🤣🤣 sorry not   trained. Go find some other sucker instead. Lmao

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #29 on: 15-09-19, 09:40AM »
Just be aware, nobody knows how to do something until they are trained. Training can be arranged.

Mickymouse1962

• Know All
« Reply #30 on: 16-09-19, 09:10AM »
At our store they use anybody to cover security while on holiday or sick no training no idea what to do even cover breaks

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #31 on: 16-09-19, 10:36AM »
Very dodgy thing to do, security guards either need an SIA license or received the relevent security training (which enables Tesco in house security guards to not require an SIA license). If the person covering has neither of these, potential massive fines could result.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #32 on: 16-09-19, 10:44PM »
And they'd have no qualms in throwing those colleagues under the bus if they challenge any shoplifters and end up injured as a result.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #33 on: 16-09-19, 11:32PM »
If the colleague was put in such a position without any training and gets sacked for it, the company would be liable for unfair dismissal as well as fines from possible H+S breaches.

Checkout wonder

« Reply #34 on: 18-09-19, 08:21PM »
Hi what are people’s thoughts on handing out customer comment cards for WOWs
We are told we have to hand them out as it’s in our job description and if we don’t we would be getting a let’s talk 🤨
It’s quite hard to constantly give cards out when customers don’t really want them especially when your not working on the checkouts .
And when we do give them out we never get a response one colleague handed about 30 cards out in a 9 hour shift and not one WOW .

breadman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #35 on: 18-09-19, 08:50PM »
This really grinds my gears having to give a card to customers to say how great your service was.I am not comfortable at all giving them out.Wish some managers would realise how embarrassing this is for staff.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 18-09-19, 09:31PM »
Giving out the cards is manifestly pointless, the only system Tesco has in place to prevent disingenuous reviews is ip address detection, you can easily get all your CAs to post glowing self reviews every month and utilise some public IP address shenanigans to bypass the IP detection and get your store the best customer viewpoint rating in the country.
« Last Edit: 18-09-19, 09:33PM by NightAndDay »

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #37 on: 18-09-19, 11:41PM »
If people wanted to feedback about customer service I am sure they would, if they wanted to, because it is embarrassing and a waste of paper to boot.

Wage slip? It's not cost effective, so it's going online and we don't care if you get locked out  ;).

Poxy piece of paper that 99% of people will throw away without a second glance? Sure, go ahead  :D

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #38 on: 19-09-19, 04:24AM »
This really grinds my gears having to give a card to customers to say how great your service was.I am not comfortable at all giving them out.Wish some managers would realise how embarrassing this is for staff.
I've never given one out...😁😁😁

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #39 on: 19-09-19, 06:46AM »
Never given one out either I’m not a PR for Tosco ...... I’m not paid to polish a t*rd.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #40 on: 19-09-19, 09:55AM »
Cannot believe they are still pushing these WOW's...it's embarrassing both for the colleagues and the customers. My store manager was shoving them under customers noses constantly, it was uncomfortable to watch.

The constant recognition of feedback on the notice board was mainly for managers, or customer facing roles such as CSD. Clues in the title there, so getting recognition for doing their job! We did all take in turn once to write in, as customers, commending each other, never got any feedback, nor from genuine customers who said they'd given us good feedback, from the SM who wasn't fond of our team. Newer colleagues used to get anxious, as they had been told they must hand out a certain amount a day, we just used to take that amount from them, so they could honestly say they'd handed them out  ;)

I never handed any out, don't think any of us stockies / merchs were given any, as we were apparently renowned for being, old, miserable and difficult to manage?? Yet our work was always up to spec, we were always green, and left to get on with constantly doing a good job.
There was one occasion when our manager, under the instructions of the SM, tried to mark us down in our reviews for not receiving any WOW's. The PM soon put the SM right!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 19-09-19, 10:08AM »

There was always an understanding, when they started having checkouts ask the numerous questions, in the new wave of bringing latest offers and depts such as Tesco banking, to the attention of the customer, that they should only ask in a way which was comfortable to operator. If the operators didn't feel confident or comfortable, then they weren't pulled up on it!!

Pinky77

« Reply #42 on: 19-09-19, 12:35PM »
I don't think anyone should have a let's talk for not handing them out though, as long as your working to the best of your abilities.
I don't understand why it would be a let's talk.
Is it really in our job description?

Long gone

« Reply #43 on: 15-10-19, 01:10AM »
The old store manager we had used to make staff do the most ridiculous jobs that I’m sure many people on this forum would laugh about and definitely refuse.
The thing is everyone thought that because the store manager asked you to do it you had to do it and that was that. I bet even if he asked staff members  to jump into the middle of the road and do star jumps to attract new customers in the building  that some staff would do it. Here are some gems that he made staff do and I swear these are all true
1. Weeding ( mentioned before in this forum by other posters so no biggie).

2. Weekly litter picking in groups. Our extra store was vast but was in a somewhat dodgy area surrounded by trees and a field. The SM made some staff pick up used and dumped condoms , someone’s worn boxers in the bushes, needles and general c**p that was littered around. The beautiful yet scary thing is that no gloves were worn by anyone during these wonderful cleaning up sessions yet no one batted an eyelid.

3. Painting. Instead of getting actual tradesmen in and paying for them, the SM got certain staff members to paint the pillars and posts in store and the giant white walls outside. The SM was very generous to those painting by routinely coming up to them every hour asking why the shelves were empty and that they should have better time management to both fill and paint at the same time. ....you can imagine how bad the painting work was.

4. Getting an untrained staff member and untrained senior team manager to drive the cherry picker routinely on shop floor and clean the ceiling of the shop , that is no word of a lie. Literally the most absurd job anyone could give to anyone, and it was never done during a quiet time, always peak hours when bodies were needed to fill and there was no room to swing a cat. Also a pretty impossible job considering the size of the store ....Ridiculous!

5. Making line managers routinely grab GA’s from their breaks and marching them downstairs to show them the jobs the SM wanted doing urgently. If you didn’t go down he would come up himself and “request” you finish your lunch immediately.

6. Hoovering capping shelves .....again, a ridiculous job.

7. SM was adamant that security was top priority but for a store that was as large as ours we had one security member on from 6-3, then agency would take over 3-10. An agency  guard more than likely never show up so myself and many other colleagues had to go on security but were briefed to stop and tackle any shoplifter despite the fact we had 0 training and 0 ability to do so. If I went on security I stood there and let them walk out with what they wanted, it was too much hassle and dangerous to attempt to stop anyone. One staff member actually got a final written as someone walked out with a TV while they were supervising the door but the guy left the company and filed a lawsuit against them.
SM also told people that anyone covering the door had to watch the cameras, again...0 training on how to operate camera systems and who to report things to if needed. Also told line managers to monitor performance on cameras for people who were talking in the warehouse , but let myself and other colleagues work our backsides off while said “lazy wastes of space” were in the back still doing nothing.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #44 on: 15-10-19, 09:08AM »
This just highlights Tescos corporate governance problem, it was their lack of it which caused the accounting scandal to happen and also the reason why most SMs are intellectually challenged ding dongs, I do wonder what percent of them have a degree as I wouldn't trust most of them to manage to wipe their own backsides let alone be in any position of power.
« Last Edit: 15-10-19, 09:09AM by NightAndDay »

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #45 on: 15-10-19, 04:25PM »
None of the post above about store manager setting silly tasks, or untrained people being used as security surprise me as I’ve seen it all over the years, one that always sticks in my mind is our sm a few years ago got a group of staff taken off usual duties over Xmas week to form a choir standing at the front of store singing to the customers, another classic was the one who got someone to paint the waste bins outside the store ahead of an SD visit, it backfired spectacularly when SD turned up several hours early, came across the guy doing the painting and ripped into the manager for getting a GA to do painting instead of his actual job.
« Last Edit: 15-10-19, 04:27PM by penguin »
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #46 on: 15-10-19, 04:44PM »
I was in a choir at the front of the store years ago it was nothing to do with the store manager it was corporate who said we could and we did it for a laugh. The entire thing went on for less than 1 hour.

Must be a bundle of laughs at your house.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #47 on: 15-10-19, 06:06PM »
One hour for a bit of fun would have been fine, but when its from 9-6 days on end during the busiest time of year, and the manager is taking staff away to do it then moaning about the state of the shop its not going to be fun for anyone is it.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Long gone

« Reply #48 on: 15-10-19, 06:20PM »
I was in a choir at the front of the store years ago it was nothing to do with the store manager it was corporate who said we could and we did it for a laugh. The entire thing went on for less than 1 hour.

Must be a bundle of laughs at your house.

Morale at our store was terrible, we had to do a conga once and the customers looked at us all like we were all imbeciles while the conga music played over the tannoy, it was a charity thing and we raised absolutely nothing  ;D

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #49 on: 15-10-19, 08:40PM »
They instigated happy hour, for fun on lunch, only the managers and one or two full timers were ever actively involved, as no one else had an hour lunch break, to compete in the games!! Fancy dress is always the managers in hired costumes, by order of the SM, and the GA's who bother, in their homemade efforts, looking like the poor relation.

Fun in work, used to be spontaneous, not dictated from above, we never dressed up, would  wear the Christmas hat or tinsel wig, by choice, but never forced to do so. We closed early Christmas Eve, and the store was closed for the two days, and New Year's Day. The staff Christmas party was always well attended, and free for staff. The social fund paid for staff subsidised days out to theme parks, theatre shows or concerts.   Morale went out the window long ago!