Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60689
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Job Description  (Read 5666 times)

Charlie1234

• VLH Supporter
Job Description
« on: 18-08-19, 11:51AM »
Hello,

Recently colleagues in our store have been asked to do jobs outside of our usual day to day roles. For example staff being asked to stand on kick stools and clean the outside front of store windows, to go up on ladders and clean guttering and to weed the outside of our petrol station.

I’m just wondering where we stand in regards to this and are you able to refuse to do these jobs?

Thankyou in advance.

checkoutmonkey

• VLH Supporter
Re: Job Description
« Reply #1 on: 18-08-19, 12:26PM »
If I were in that position I would be requesting to see a risk assessment, and asking for the correct protective clothing etc. Also any equipment they’re asking you to use you should be trained how to operate and this should be on your training record card. I personally would be refusing until all those things were done

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 18-08-19, 01:14PM »
It sounds like your manager is stretching the required responsibilities of the customer assistant role, I would request to see the ca role pack to see if it contains any of the duties mentioned as some of the duties described definitely falls into the role of window cleaner and maintenance.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 18-08-19, 01:58PM »
Hello,

Recently colleagues in our store have been asked to do jobs outside of our usual day to day roles. For example staff being asked to stand on kick stools and clean the outside front of store windows, to go up on ladders and clean guttering and to weed the outside of our petrol station.

I’m just wondering where we stand in regards to this and are you able to refuse to do these jobs?

Thankyou in advance.

Refuse....bloody p**s take.

Charlie1234

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 18-08-19, 02:09PM »
Hello,

Thankyou in advance.

It’s just where you stand doing so.. if you even stand a chance in refusing.. but I completely agree.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #5 on: 18-08-19, 02:24PM »
Windows contractors......ladder work no.......weeding contractors.......cleaners at a push for Windows......sounds like he needs a few grievances putting in against him......all maintenance not a ca job.

Mr ford

« Reply #6 on: 18-08-19, 02:50PM »
Same at out store. Weeding, cleaning the signs, the list goes on.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 18-08-19, 03:34PM »
If I were in that position I would be requesting to see a risk assessment, and asking for the correct protective clothing etc. Also any equipment they’re asking you to use you should be trained how to operate and this should be on your training record card. I personally would be refusing until all those things were done

The above, all of which I used to defend a colleague who "refused a reasonable request" I also questioned which department manager was responsible for the training, health and safety and welfare of the colleague, whilst performing these duties, and department specific? Also, as some outer areas are on local authority land, (as with most Tesco's) was the colleague insured to be doing these tasks, as they would be classed as trespassing, voiding any claim for personal injury.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 18-08-19, 04:44PM »
We too have been asked to do these tasks, as well as litter pick and this request did not go down well.  They want so much and offer so little and so many staff are leaving because of it. 

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #9 on: 18-08-19, 08:58PM »
Hello,

Thankyou in advance.

I'd gladly f off to  the petrol staton and do some weeding saves you being instore with a bunch of morons

spike_pkh

• Know All
« Reply #10 on: 19-08-19, 12:11AM »
Is there actually training to stand on a kick stool.. if so i weep for our current generation that they need training for that

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 19-08-19, 01:21AM »
Many years ago we use to joke with new starts that they couldnt use their box cutter until theyd had their training on it . Sadly now this might be true

Mr Gyoza

« Reply #12 on: 19-08-19, 01:46AM »
Have the same issue in my store. CA's popping off the till when it's quiet to bring up weeds with a fork outside the shop. SM spends more time in B&Q buying little pots of paint  so staff can go around covering up where fixtures and shelves are knackered.

I can't even be mad about it, it's so stupid it's funny.  ;D

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 19-08-19, 07:38AM »
Is there actually training to stand on a kick stool.. if so i weep for our current generation that they need training for that

It's for what purpose the kick stool is being used, and whether suitable for said task, as you well know! And you would weep, if you received an injury, which may leave you incapable of working, to be informed that Tesco won't pay you owt, as you weren't using the correct tools for the job, wearing the correct PPE or shouldn't have been in that area!!

Some old colleagues are still waiting 3 years or more since injured, doing their specified role following correct procedures, and Tesco are hindering every move hoping they'll give up!! So what chance do you think these guys would have  :-X

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 19-08-19, 07:45AM »
Have the same issue in my store. CA's popping off the till when it's quiet to bring up weeds with a fork outside the shop. SM spends more time in B&Q buying little pots of paint  so staff can go around covering up where fixtures and shelves are knackered.

I can't even be mad about it, it's so stupid it's funny.  ;D

Ooo and I'd have a friend, conveniently passing and recording to put on YouTube. The mighty Tesco have workers weeding with forks, times must be bad!!

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 19-08-19, 06:33PM »
we too were told we have to weed the car park and back yard,they can't afford proper tools to do it,we only have blue merchandising gloves and a couple of left over snow shovels

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #16 on: 19-08-19, 06:48PM »
Where's your H&S rep in all this??

Seriously, I would shame Tesco on YouTube, get your mates to video it and download as an amazed customer  ;)

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 20-08-19, 02:02AM »
we too were told we have to weed the car park and back yard,they can't afford proper tools to do it,we only have blue merchandising gloves and a couple of left over snow shovels
"can't afford"  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 20-08-19, 08:38AM »
If it was a regular request being asked ( told, bullied ) to go weeding, I would get me a sealed hypodermic needle in readiness.

Within ten minutes of weeding, I would walk into that store, and sit down on the first seat available, in full view of the customers, with the needle sticking out of my hand/ leg and demand the immediate attention of the first aider, H&S rep, manager who sent me out there and the duty manager.

See the colour drain from the management, as the H&S rep records the accident report, and wait for the brown stuff to hit the fan!

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #19 on: 20-08-19, 11:29AM »
"can't afford"  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

There is significant risk of cross-contamination and contamination by doing this task. As a worker who deals with the handling of raw and cooked products you have a H&S obligation to inform your manager of the risk and request a H&S assessment.
« Last Edit: 20-08-19, 11:31AM by NightAndDay »

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 21-08-19, 08:48PM »
the backdoor boys were told today they have to wash the green slime off the outside of the fire exit doors into the yard,this has not been done since the store was built over 30 years ago,not sure why it has suddenly become an issue now?

Siwel123

« Reply #21 on: 21-08-19, 10:17PM »
Probably because of the cleanest store competition, where the grand prize for being the cleanest in your group is I believe a 50 pound voucher for the whole store combined.

GregorSinclair

« Reply #22 on: 31-08-19, 10:41PM »
Hello

Currently looking to transfer over to some positions over in Glasgow and a lot of the current job postings have "customer assistant SO" as their title and was curious if anyone knew what the SO stands for. Cant get my head around it.

Regards

Gregor

LittleMiss

« Reply #23 on: 13-09-19, 02:15PM »
Job roles 🤔. Our community champion has had her hours taken off her (lack of hours and department move.
Which now means community for donations etc are down to other colleagues who work on customer service desk...
can we refuse to do this as not in our job description.

StinkyPoo

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #24 on: 13-09-19, 04:07PM »
I'd rather weed outside than work in the dirty germ ridden shop! The canteen looks like a laboratory growing fungal spores and bacteria! The whole company has gone downhill big time.