Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
20-09-19, 12:20AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8417
  • Latest: Mazza
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60799
  • Total Topics: 1069
  • Online Today: 120
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Asda today - Tesco tomorrow??  (Read 4587 times)

BarryZola

Re: Asda today - Tesco tomorrow??
« Reply #1 on: 09-08-19, 12:40PM »
Race to the bottom.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 09-08-19, 12:43PM »
Reading the article, it says they pay double time for working certain days, with a base rate of £9 an hour, it seems even this terrible deal that has 90%+ of the workforce opposed to it is better than what Tesco currently offers.

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #3 on: 09-08-19, 03:02PM »
It's the reality of the retail industry unfortunately.
Obviously, being "forced" to signing new contracts is not on, but it's also the reality of employment law - if Asda can show that it's in the interests of the needs of the business - it doesn't really matter too much what employees or the Union can show.

In terms of their deal versus Tesco - well as you say, Tesco is slightly worse.

We're still not on £9 an hour.
And after another year, we get the joys of £9.30 to look forward to.

In terms of Bank Holidays, I believe Asda will be paying flat rate for all BHs except.......is it Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day?

For these, they will pay double time.

For the remaining bank holidays, staff are "expected" to work them - I'm not sure of the details - I'm assuming it only applies if you're contracted to work on those days (generally Mondays) - I wonder how easy it will be to get a contract with Asda that doesn't include Mondays?

BarryZola

« Reply #4 on: 09-08-19, 03:47PM »
The thing is, if a company is making many millions of pounds a year in profit to the extent that its directors can award themselves multi-million pound bonuses as the business is working effectively, I think that it is hard for them to justify that they NEED to force lower paid colleagues to change their contracts for the needs of the business. If ADSA/Tesco were loss making businesses then they would have a water-tight argument. Forcing people to change to less favourable contracts just so that as directors you can try to show an increased profit in the next year is shaky ground in my opinion and should definitely be a grounds for strike action (if the unions actually had any power). Even if the union agree to staff being forced onto less favourable contracts people can be brave and take it to tribunal or something. Something like that is probably better done in large numbers and I'd probably be looking to organize something like that or at least be looking to take legal advice.

If rail workers or airport staff were treated like supermarkets treat their staff there would be no trains or aircraft moving for a good while.

Batmanjo

« Reply #5 on: 09-08-19, 05:56PM »
Asda staff are having a meeting next wed I hear on the grapevine whether to strike or not ? as with new contracts if they do not agree and do not sign this would put Asda in breach of contract as it needs both parties to agree on changes to contracts.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 09-08-19, 07:16PM »
What would happen if all cas collectively refused to sign the new contract, If Asda dismisses them all they will lose out on revenue by sizable amounts every day while having insufficient resources.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #7 on: 09-08-19, 07:33PM »
Agency staff will come in, Asda have already got a deal in place with an agency so would just use them to cover any shortfall.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #8 on: 09-08-19, 07:50PM »
There would be riots all them families being shafted same would happen if Tesco staff did the same.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 09-08-19, 09:24PM »
Tesco staff would  ever strike...
The majority of them have no back bone!!!!

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 09-08-19, 09:29PM »
They couldn't even if they wanted to, good ol Uselessdaw signed away that power in the partnership agreement.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 10-08-19, 06:54AM »
Does the constructive dismissal route not come into play here?? That would tie ASDA up in knots, if they all put in claims.
« Last Edit: 10-08-19, 06:57AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

T2019sackallmanagers

« Reply #12 on: 10-08-19, 09:55AM »
The thing is, if a company is making many millions of pounds a year in profit to the extent that its directors can award themselves multi-million pound bonuses as the business is working effectively, I think that it is hard for them to justify that they NEED to force lower paid colleagues to change their contracts for the needs of the business. If ADSA/Tesco were loss making businesses then they would have a water-tight argument. Forcing people to change to less favourable contracts just so that as directors you can try to show an increased profit in the next year is shaky ground in my opinion and should definitely be a grounds for strike action (if the unions actually had any power). Even if the union agree to staff being forced onto less favourable contracts people can be brave and take it to tribunal or something. Something like that is probably better done in large numbers and I'd probably be looking to organize something like that or at least be looking to take legal advice.

If rail workers or airport staff were treated like supermarkets treat their staff there would be no trains or aircraft moving for a good while.
Yes very true, but they are skilled jobs and there are a lot less staff working for them. There is no skill in working for retail and there are masses of staff!
The oy choice you've got is to get out of retail as it is and always will be the worse place to work.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 10-08-19, 10:48AM »
Airport staff on planes, fair enough, all rail workers at stations except the train drivers aren't skilled workers, they just have militant unions who take no s***, not like USDAW who won't let anyone be chocolate in Tescos political peanut butter, union in name, secret police in nature.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 10-08-19, 11:18AM »

Tom Hardy

• Know All
« Reply #15 on: 10-08-19, 11:43AM »
New Asda staff are on Contract 6 when they start. This is getting the older contracts onto the same contract.

This is being done because old contracts don't require you to work weekends as the newer one you are contracted to either a Sat or Sun.

Old contract you can refuse to do Bank Holidays....New contract they can get you in if required regardless of whether you are contracted to that day or not.

Old contract twilight pay you get a premium between 22:00-01:00.....new contract premium for just 00:00-01:00.

Old contract you built up holiday entitlements....new contract everyone has the same holidays.

Basically old contracts were not flexible enough so they are removing them. Sign or be contractually dismissed once the consultation ends.

GMB union trying to fight it but probably won't overturn anything.

Tom Hardy

• Know All
« Reply #16 on: 10-08-19, 11:50AM »
For the remaining bank holidays, staff are "expected" to work them - I'm not sure of the details - I'm assuming it only applies if you're contracted to work on those days (generally Mondays) - I wonder how easy it will be to get a contract with Asda that doesn't include Mondays?

They can ask you to work regardless of whether it is your contracted shift.

Basically with the contracts how they are it's the same people working the Bank Holidays as those on old contracts can refuse to work them. With the new contracts it will be fairer as they won't have the same people for all the Bank Holidays. You fill in availability forms.

Old contracts get time & half for Bank Holidays as newer staff just get time.

The days they can't make you work are the seasonal ones Christmas Day Boxing Day & New Years Day. If you work any of these you get a Thank You payment in your wages.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #17 on: 10-08-19, 05:34PM »

barafear

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 12-08-19, 05:49PM »

They can ask you to work regardless of whether it is your contracted shift.

Basically with the contracts how they are it's the same people working the Bank Holidays as those on old contracts can refuse to work them. With the new contracts it will be fairer as they won't have the same people for all the Bank Holidays. You fill in availability forms.

Old contracts get time & half for Bank Holidays as newer staff just get time.

The days they can't make you work are the seasonal ones Christmas Day Boxing Day & New Years Day. If you work any of these you get a Thank You payment in your wages.

They can "ask" you to work Bank holidays.....but do you have the right to say no every single time they ask?

the story in the "papers" suggested there was an "expectation" of staff working BHs, not a choice.

It is all wrong - but unfortunately it's highly unlikely to be overturned because of the "unskilled nature of the jobs" and the lack of any real union power - and the fact that people who work in retail (certainly at GA level) are hardly likely to have enough savings to make  a stand and go unpaid for strike action - all this assumes of course that any "partnership agreement" allowed strike action.

Unfortunately, rather like Sundays (since the premiums in Tesco have been cut from double to 1.5 and now to 1.25.....and soon to be 1) - there's always enough staff who "need the money" - and the unskilled nature of the job means it's an ideal job for students who know they just have to put themselves through a few months of "hard work" in the knowledge it's not their permanent long term job, like many of their colleagues.