Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 12:34AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61624
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 130
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 105
Total: 110

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.  (Read 232775 times)

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
Re: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.
« Reply #1100 on: 22-09-19, 09:46AM »
No it isnt that is a complete crock, Have you read the security guard training manual it clearly states security guards are not to get invlolved in any type of confrontation at all that is down to management.

It even tells you that if you do you could be inline for disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

Security guards are not and never have been staff body guards.

gapscangirl

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1101 on: 22-09-19, 10:38AM »
Just a question around stock control managers.

I know that when the food stock control manager goes, the stock and admin absorbs their role. The food stock manager was told that their job exists until they leave. What happens if the stock and admin manager goes? Can the food manager be forced to take the full role? Or does it go as a vacancy and they have to apply for it?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1102 on: 22-09-19, 10:40AM »
Security guards are first and foremost a visual deterrent, their SIA licenses or inhouse training doesn't give them any more rights than a normal citizen for performing "citizens arrests".

Outside of that they can only use their training in de-esculation, conflict resolution and reporting of the evidence that will be have been captured in the store systems.

Mildew

« Reply #1103 on: 22-09-19, 12:20PM »

I know that when the food stock control manager goes, the stock and admin absorbs their role. The food stock manager was told that their job exists until they leave. What happens if the stock and admin manager goes? Can the food manager be forced to take the full role? Or does it go as a vacancy and they have to apply for it?
I don’t recall in my “meeting” being told the job exists until I leave at all.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1104 on: 22-09-19, 03:42PM »
No it isnt that is a complete crock, Have you read the security guard training manual it clearly states security guards are not to get invlolved in any type of confrontation at all that is down to management.

It even tells you that if you do you could be inline for disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

Security guards are not and never have been staff body guards.

I never said anything about "getting involved". I said that the focus has gone towards putting guards in stores that have issues with colleague safety. First off the guards should give that extra body in the building and are more of preventative measure. Nobody anywhere should confront and tackle anyone who is violent. That goes for colleagues, guards and management.

Me2015

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1105 on: 22-09-19, 08:07PM »

What were you told?
The role of Food Stock Manager is going, not now but in 6 months, going by the meeting timescales.

You can’t be forced to leave. You can’t be forced to take another role. Both of these are unfair. 

If you want to stay with Tesco, great find another role that works for you. If you want to leave, carry on the role as you are doing and wait for the timescales to elapse.

Mildew

« Reply #1106 on: 22-09-19, 10:31PM »

What were you told?
The role of Food Stock Manager is going, not now but in 6 months, going by the meeting timescales.

You can’t be forced to leave. You can’t be forced to take another role. Both of these are unfair. 

If you want to stay with Tesco, great find another role that works for you. If you want to leave, carry on the role as you are doing and wait for the timescales to elapse.
I was told that in six months there would be another meeting to review the situation but not that was the end of any timescale. This is deliberately open ended and vague.

Twinkletoes

« Reply #1107 on: 23-09-19, 07:50AM »
Work at silverburn store in Scotland.   Any other stores seem to have brought in a store manager that is running it to the ground? Think it's obvious that there are more redundancy on horizon as the staff morale including managers couldn't be any lower.   Shop regularly looks like riot, nothing but out of stock labels adorn the shelves, even though you know it's been through the back.   Hope Tesco does a Thomas Cook soon

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #1108 on: 23-09-19, 09:03AM »
"Does a Thomas Cook soon" Really . Thomas cook staff worked yesterday not knowing if they were going to be paid . Staff will now get statutory redundancy regardless of length of service which is a pittance. 
I for one really hope Tesco doesn't go that way !

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1109 on: 23-09-19, 10:05AM »
Work at silverburn store in Scotland.   Any other stores seem to have brought in a store manager that is running it to the ground? Think it's obvious that there are more redundancy on horizon as the staff moral including managers couldn't be any lower.   Shop regularly looks like riot, nothing but out of stock labels adorn the shelves, even though you know it's been through the back.   Hope Tesco does a Thomas Cook soon

Rather than swinging the axe at the bottom lime, they need to have a look at their personal promotion and development practices. Most Store managers I've come across share a few things in common, 1. No qualifications past college level. 2. Poor numeracy and grammar. 3. Thinking they're above policy.

Tesco needs an overhaul on their selection criteria, far too often have I seen ca's more apt to be SM than the SM. By having a competent SM in place, staff turnover will fall, service will improve, morale will improve and these redundancies won't be as wide hitting.

Axing the bottom line is only ever a time-buyer for some strategy to take place to prevent the rot progressing further.
« Last Edit: 23-09-19, 10:08AM by NightAndDay »

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1110 on: 23-09-19, 10:34AM »
True Twinkletoes and NightAndDay

The 5307 was a mess the last time I visited.

Is this not meant to be a Flagship store.

dairyfresh

« Reply #1111 on: 23-09-19, 04:39PM »
final consultation meeting

Agenda  ? Next steps and updates  ? Formal closure of collective consultation

Summary of discussion points

Security Team Managers

Following our last meeting USDAW requested consideration of extending the payment of £300 to attain a security license to any Security Team Manager that leave due to redundancy. The business has declined this request. This is due to the fact that this is a completely different role to the Security Guards in store and it is felt that the Security Team Managers would not necessarily need the qualification to find a role outside of Tesco. 

Retirement 

The business confirmed where a colleague has already given us notice of retirement, they cannot withdraw this, in order to be made redundant. The business previously confirmed that colleagues would receive a lump sum however, due to system limitations we have not been able to finalise this process and therefore the colleague will continue to be paid 4 weekly (every Tesco payday) until their retirement date. In effect, the colleague remains employed and are paid as usual, but they do not come to work from the 28th September. The colleague continues to make pension contributions and retains their colleague Clubcard and other benefits during this time.

Resourcing

At our previous meeting we agreed changes to the redeployment plan. All impacted colleagues who have applied for a new role to remain with Tesco and have been interviewed if required should find out from today – 18th September if they have been successful. If a colleague has been unsuccessful they will have until noon on Friday 20th September to explore all other vacancies. After this time external candidates can start to be offered. We will continue to support colleagues in finding a suitable role where possible.

Inductions will start to happen and Usdaw reps will be asked to attend to engage with new colleagues and share the benefits of membership.

Leaving Tesco

It was clarified that if a colleague has secured employment externally they will not be able to leave until the formal period of collective consultation is concluded on the 21st September, they have had their final individual consultation meeting and have been issued with their official notice of redundancy.

Change in pay grade

It was clarified that all C & D grade colleagues in Metro have been pooled and where there is an impact to pay then our pay protection policy will be applied. Further guidance on how this is managed will be sent to stores. (exc skilled areas i.e. pharmacy, phone shop, skilled/semi skilled baker, post office)

Training

It was confirmed that skill gaps will be identified using the new ‘Curriculum’ and worked through by the Colleague, Shift Leader or Manager. 

Redundancy Schedules

It was confirmed that updated final redundancy schedules will be available for all colleagues prior to leaving.

Collective Consultation

This was our final consultation meeting and we formally closed collective consultation. We would like to acknowledge the professional and supportive approach that all reps and colleagues have taken during this difficult time We would also like to take the opportunity to wish you and all of the colleagues the very best for the future.

Catch

« Reply #1112 on: 23-09-19, 09:37PM »
Any advice?  I work as a wages clerk in my tesco, with all the changes in my store I was told that I'd now be working 1 day on tills.

I asked if I would be payed a lower wage as a result and I was told flatly, that I would still get the same £/hour. 

Now its come to light (last Friday), that actually my £/hour while on tills will be at the base rate.

I was offered redundancy, (since it means a smaller paypacket each month) however, this change is about to happen on Sunday.  Obviously this is a very tight turn-around to decide if i want to take the redundancy, surely they can't cut my pay-packet before or during the consultation period, thats a few weeks right? Anyone else experienced similar? Where should I go from here?

Thanks,
Tony

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1113 on: 23-09-19, 10:13PM »
The understanding has always been, if they move you, you keep your hourly rate, if you ask to move you drop to the dept rate....also if you worked more than 50% in one dept, you got paid the dept rate.

I know skills payments have been introduced, for the % you upskill, and a skilled colleague will only be paid the base rate, if doing overtime on non skilled dept...

How long have you been in consultation? I thought it was due to end?? I, personally would take redundancy, whilst you're full wage is the higher rate, as wage clerks are in the firing line for redundancy in the not too distant future. But you need to do what's best for you, with regard length of service, redundancy offer, your age and future employment prospects in your area.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Catch

« Reply #1114 on: 23-09-19, 10:51PM »
Apparently that is no longer the case. Everyone will be on the same code, so even if im working 4 days as a wage clerk, im still on the same code as everyone else, its just for those hours as a clerk I'm payed the skill payment.

Beforehand I was told that they'd need to move me to tills 1 day per week, but I was told very clearly that I would still get the same wage and as a result that if i turned down the change I'd have to leave with no redundancy since my pay-packet would be the same.

Then, last Friday I was told about the wage reduction. So I haven't been in consultation at all.

randomworker

« Reply #1115 on: 24-09-19, 05:30AM »
Work at silverburn store in Scotland.   Any other stores seem to have brought in a store manager that is running it to the ground? Think it's obvious that there are more redundancy on horizon as the staff morale including managers couldn't be any lower.   Shop regularly looks like riot, nothing but out of stock labels adorn the shelves, even though you know it's been through the back.   Hope Tesco does a Thomas Cook soon

What a complete and utter ridiculous comment to make.

So you want hundreds of thousands of people to lose their job so that someone somewhere will feel bad for a decision they made that seems to have affected you personally?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1116 on: 24-09-19, 08:05AM »
Apparently that is no longer the case. Everyone will be on the same code, so even if im working 4 days as a wage clerk, im still on the same code as everyone else, its just for those hours as a clerk I'm payed the skill payment.

Beforehand I was told that they'd need to move me to tills 1 day per week, but I was told very clearly that I would still get the same wage and as a result that if i turned down the change I'd have to leave with no redundancy since my pay-packet would be the same.

Then, last Friday I was told about the wage reduction. So I haven't been in consultation at all.

Ok I'm confused, what job code are you?? Are you employed as the wage clerk permanently, or have you just been covering and getting the upskill payment. I realise that metro and express are run differently to stores, and people cover all departments, but if you were told initially that your pay would stay the same, it would suggest that you are coded as the wage clerk.

No you don't have to leave, they are BS'n you. Only If your pay and hours remained unchanged would that be correct. What they're saying is take it or go!! What are they going to do, sack you?? For what?? You should have been in consultation for this, if they're saying, you leave with no redundancy, as the pay packet is the same, would suggest a job match! But now saying a pay reduction, with no pay protection offered, no consultation? Did you fill in an availability form?? Did you put other departments you'd be willing to work?? Is the position on tills, the same hours you usually work??

« Last Edit: 24-09-19, 08:11AM by lucgeo »

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #1117 on: 24-09-19, 08:12AM »

Is this in a metro store or are you being moved due to RHRP ?
I would have thought if in a metro you'd have in consultation by now , if it RHRP  then they try to get you to agree to changes and if you dont then they officially put you in consultation but redundancy wont be on offer .

Stockman

« Reply #1118 on: 24-09-19, 11:16AM »
Is there any food stock control managers out there getting to keep their role. Or are they just saying they are keeping the role in selected stores to avoid paying redundancy??

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #1119 on: 24-09-19, 12:39PM »
Doesn't really matter if the role is reduced or eliminated altogether, your own entitlement to redundancy is totally situational.

Catch

« Reply #1120 on: 24-09-19, 01:16PM »

Ok I'm confused, what job code are you?? Are you employed as the wage clerk permanently, or have you just been covering and getting the upskill payment. I realise that metro and express are run differently to stores, and people cover all departments, but if you were told initially that your pay would stay the same, it would suggest that you are coded as the wage clerk.

No you don't have to leave, they are BS'n you. Only If your pay and hours remained unchanged would that be correct. What they're saying is take it or go!! What are they going to do, sack you?? For what?? You should have been in consultation for this, if they're saying, you leave with no redundancy, as the pay packet is the same, would suggest a job match! But now saying a pay reduction, with no pay protection offered, no consultation? Did you fill in an availability form?? Did you put other departments you'd be willing to work?? Is the position on tills, the same hours you usually work??

I'm a wage clerk permanently, and have been for 3 years. There is no code for wage clerk anymore, we are all metro colleagues and will receive separate additional payments for hours worked in skilled areas. I filled in the availability form t with the option of tills. However this was before the changes to the codes. My hours have changed days, but my total hours remain the same.

Basically it seems they made a blunder, they didn't realise that people are no longer under under a department code. And now, only after changing my position they've revealed that this would actually cost me 100s per year. Pay protection was mentioned, it's all very informal at the moment, they don't know what to do because this all goes ahead this Sunday!

Shadow30

« Reply #1121 on: 24-09-19, 01:54PM »

I'm a wage clerk permanently, and have been for 3 years. There is no code for wage clerk anymore, we are all metro colleagues and will receive separate additional payments for hours worked in skilled areas. I filled in the availability form t with the option of tills. However this was before the changes to the codes. My hours have changed days, but my total hours remain the same.

Basically it seems they made a blunder, they didn't realise that people are no longer under under a department code. And now, only after changing my position they've revealed that this would actually cost me 100s per year. Pay protection was mentioned, it's all very informal at the moment, they don't know what to do because this all goes ahead this Sunday!

Has there been no notes taken during any of these meetings? They can not change what they've originally documented without redocumenting the new change
Anyone that is having to lose money due to structure change is entitled to protected pay

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #1122 on: 24-09-19, 02:22PM »
Is there any food stock control managers out there getting to keep their role. Or are they just saying they are keeping the role in selected stores to avoid paying redundancy??

The role is being removed, it’s going through informal process to allow those that want to stay, the chance of a new role with Tesco, and after the specified timeframe is up the role looks like it will be taken away from the management structure.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1123 on: 24-09-19, 02:26PM »
@Catch

Ask for a meeting immediately' do you not have a rep? If it's informal, and no notes taken, then you cannot be expected to accept this loss of pay without proper consultation. Email your PM to ask for clarification on the recognised procedures for this situation. If you don't know the email address, ask the management for it, that should worry them? If it was a RHRP situation, then you shouldn't be losing either hours or money, both of these come under restructuring, and they need to provide a business case for your need to move for one day, and loss of hours or money that you need to agree to, and sign, prior to the changes.

You should have also been given a new availability form, stating your present availability, they shouldn't be using an old one, that is not the process!

Sign nothing, agree to nothing, and inform them that you are status quo, until you have received a full response to your enquiries, from the union and area PM.
« Last Edit: 24-09-19, 02:31PM by lucgeo »

Mildew

« Reply #1124 on: 24-09-19, 05:47PM »

The role is being removed, it’s going through informal process to allow those that want to stay, the chance of a new role with Tesco, and after the specified timeframe is up the role looks like it will be taken away from the management structure.
Hi DJL, 
I was given no specific timeframe which leaves it disconcertingly indefinite and also absolutely no discussion around the possibility of redundancy at the end of any given period. Completely open ended and vague.