Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
15-10-19, 10:57PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61620
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.  (Read 232762 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.
« Reply #1025 on: 14-09-19, 01:09PM »
They need to ask to see their availability forms, to see how they've been given shifts and hours they haven't stated on them. Also any notes from any  meetings taken place, to see where any mention of these shifts have been put, where they've agreed to do them and where they've signed. Did they have a rep/witness at these meetings?
If no notes as informal, then no agreement was reached. Works both ways...think it's hanging on exactly what their availability forms stated, if the shifts/ days / hours are outside those availability Windows, they don't do them
« Last Edit: 14-09-19, 01:15PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Vinny1985

« Reply #1026 on: 14-09-19, 01:28PM »
I know some people didn’t even sign their availability forms. I have seen people’s lets talk informal conversation forms. As the staff showed me the copy’s. It just has new shift pattern on it. Nothing about extra shifts. Under our actions or agreed outcomes on the forms it is empty. Signed by manager and member of staff.  Thank you for you’re advice.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1027 on: 14-09-19, 01:33PM »
I've heard that retaining Express Shift Leaders is a known problem at head office levels, can anyone elaborate on how bad aexpress shift leader turnover is?

Very bad, and with the current round of ca rhrp work underway in express it will only get worse as even more 1-1 working once that's done.

Surely the rhrp would be used to avoid paying Express Shift Leaders for their breaks? If 1 on 1 working is agreed that means that the shift leader has to be paid 9 hours, not 7.5?

I do wonder if they have any plans on how to resolve the retainment issues for the role, tbf I can see why, the role is more a duty manager role than a leader role and the compensation for what they do is worse than all competitors. I would have thought the pay review would make it more appealing but they only got a 57p increase where as cas got a 58p increase.

I do wonder if they actually know what they're doing.
« Last Edit: 14-09-19, 01:34PM by NightAndDay »

Vinny1985

« Reply #1028 on: 14-09-19, 01:37PM »
They need to ask to see their availability forms, to see how they've been given shifts and hours they haven't stated on them. Also any notes from any  meetings taken place, to see where any mention of these shifts have been put, where they've agreed to do them and where they've signed. Did they have a rep/witness at these meetings?
If no notes as informal, then no agreement was reached. Works both ways...think it's hanging on exactly what their availability forms stated, if the shifts/ days / hours are outside those availability Windows, they don't do them

Also if new contracts comes and it says 22.5 hours say. 3 shifts. Still none flexi contract then it is all as it was and they can’t flex them up

odif

« Reply #1029 on: 14-09-19, 01:58PM »
I see tesco express in Glasgow airport is closing, September 28th, coincidence or not !!!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1030 on: 14-09-19, 02:39PM »

Also if new contracts comes and it says 22.5 hours say. 3 shifts. Still none flexi contract then it is all as it was and they can’t flex them up

They can't change their contract status, from fixed permanent to flexi. So the new shifts would be on a new fixed permanent contract. If they have copies of the meetings stating the status quo, and no amendments agreed or signed then the management can go whistle, they are seriously lacking in common sense.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #1031 on: 14-09-19, 02:49PM »
Ah I think I'm getting what you mean by flexing them up...no they can't give them more shifts, it's overtime, not compulsory. If they don't have those shifts on their new AGREED contracts, then they can't be told they have to work them. It's either regular OFFERED overtime, or a vacancy to be filled.
« Last Edit: 14-09-19, 02:51PM by lucgeo »

Vinny1985

« Reply #1032 on: 14-09-19, 03:05PM »
Yes that is what I am saying. They want to flex them up. People did put down they can work every shift on the availability forms. As it was known you have a better chance of getting job matched. And they have. And they have agreed to their set days. But now they say because you put every day down on the form they can flex you up.

So the staff are saying no. It wasn’t explained like that. We are none flexi workers and you have given us our set days. We don’t have to. The problem is. Loads of people have left. Not many people took the other jobs available. So are stuck

Thanks for everything

Happinessxyz

« Reply #1033 on: 14-09-19, 05:47PM »
I was wondering if anyone could help me? Sorry, I'm not sure how to create my own post so I am posting on this one.

I have worked part-time here at Tesco for two years.
Over the past 12 months I have had about two meetings regarding unnecessary use of my phone during my shifts (we are allowed our phone on the shop floor due to having Inform where we can look at products), and last week I apparently was caught on my phone numerous times throughout the shift, and last I received a letter saying that I'm invited to an investigation meeting with my manager and with another manager as the note taker due to the phone issue. I am just wondering as to whether I will be fired at the meeting, seen as my manager has spoken to me numerous times about the issue.
(by the way I know I am completely in the wrong and it is so stupid of me to use my phone whilst at work).

Global Moderator Comment Please read VLH Supporter Benefits

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1034 on: 14-09-19, 06:06PM »
Due to the type of business that Tesco is (one that operates on a model of extremely high staff turnover and attrition), they have a very, very lenient disciplinary structure that they must follow before you get fired. After 3 lets's talks on the same issue, investigations occur the store manager then issues a verbal warning if you were found to be in the wrong, if you get caught again it goes up to written warning and then after that you get dismissed.

At the moment however, they may have to be even more lenient on disciplinaries, the economy at the moment is an employees market meaning they'll struggle to recruit quality candidates if any due to other retailers hiring at better rates and T&C's or anything non-retail.

« Last Edit: 14-09-19, 06:08PM by NightAndDay »

The hooch

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #1035 on: 14-09-19, 06:45PM »
I was wondering if anyone could help me? Sorry, I'm not sure how to create my own post so I am posting on this one.

I have worked part-time here at Tesco for two years.
Over the past 12 months I have had about two meetings regarding unnecessary use of my phone during my shifts (we are allowed our phone on the shop floor due to having Inform where we can look at products), and last week I apparently was caught on my phone numerous times throughout the shift, and last I received a letter saying that I'm invited to an investigation meeting with my manager and with another manager as the note taker due to the phone issue. I am just wondering as to whether I will be fired at the meeting, seen as my manager has spoken to me numerous times about the issue.
(by the way I know I am completely in the wrong and it is so stupid of me to use my phone whilst at work).
Make sure you take a rep in with you and good luck

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #1036 on: 14-09-19, 11:03PM »
Due to the type of business that Tesco is (one that operates on a model of extremely high staff turnover and attrition), they have a very, very lenient disciplinary structure that they must follow before you get fired. After 3 lets's talks on the same issue, investigations occur the store manager then issues a verbal warning if you were found to be in the wrong, if you get caught again it goes up to written warning and then after that you get dismissed.

At the moment however, they may have to be even more lenient on disciplinaries, the economy at the moment is an employees market meaning they'll struggle to recruit quality candidates if any due to other retailers hiring at better rates and T&C's or anything non-retail.

Totally wrong, it does not need any lets talks or the store manager to give a warning, it can go straight to final or even sacked if serious enough.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1037 on: 15-09-19, 09:36AM »
Yes that is what I am saying. They want to flex them up. People did put down they can work every shift on the availability forms. As it was known you have a better chance of getting job matched. And they have. And they have agreed to their set days. But now they say because you put every day down on the form they can flex you up.

So the staff are saying no. It wasn’t explained like that. We are none flexi workers and you have given us our set days. We don’t have to. The problem is. Loads of people have left. Not many people took the other jobs available. So are stuck

Thanks for everything

There is a section on the form that asks for minimum and maximum hours, was this filled in. Someone's availability window may be bigger than hours wanting to work. If have put willing to work up to 30 hours and matched to 30 hours and it's also within availability it is a match. If matched to 30 hours and on a flexi contract it's not a match as have been matched beyond what you can work as no flexibility. If fixed its still a match.

job14waste

« Reply #1038 on: 15-09-19, 01:40PM »
We’ve lost 8 who have not been “job matched” - the term is a joke as you are being hours matched as jobs and roles changing to be more ‘flexible’ ....

Our 4 team leaders all going plus most of managers

So over a third of the staff going, those that remain are either having to lose hours if they were originally full timers and those on part time have generally gained hours !

As we have no shift leaders at present, several of those “job matched” are applying and if they get those roles then we will be short staffed and will have to recruit to fill those shifts  :o

So in all losing a third of staff, then having to recruit.... makes no sense  >:(

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1039 on: 15-09-19, 01:44PM »
Don’t worry because if Tesco don’t start matching Aldi and Lidl they won’t need any staff as they are cheaper even with our discount included .

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #1040 on: 15-09-19, 03:46PM »

Totally wrong, it does not need any lets talks or the store manager to give a warning, it can go straight to final or even sacked if serious enough.

Nope, it's right, being on the phone isn't gross misconduct, that's the only time when it goes to final written/dismissal without prior steps.
« Last Edit: 15-09-19, 03:47PM by NightAndDay »

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1041 on: 15-09-19, 04:21PM »
Don’t worry because if Tesco don’t start matching Aldi and Lidl they won’t need any staff as they are cheaper even with our discount included .

True

Littlehelpsvery

« Reply #1042 on: 15-09-19, 10:42PM »
Hasn’t been such a thing as a verbal warning for years now
1st written
2nd written
Final written

emma070706

« Reply #1043 on: 16-09-19, 08:57AM »
Any one have any more information about food stock control managers? I am in an Extra and ours has been told nothing.

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #1044 on: 16-09-19, 09:39AM »
I believe most have had a conversation stating the role is being removed from store management structure, however I am aware of some, like the person you mention, who are still to have a conversation.

This is being penned an ‘informal change’ with timescales up to and including 6 months for moves to be agreed and formalised, clearly this will be determined by local vacancies and whether each manager is able to move to another store.

Me2015

• Regular Pain
« Reply #1045 on: 16-09-19, 10:58AM »

Any one have any more information about food stock control managers? I am in an Extra and ours has been told nothing.

Due to the 6 month informal process which has been talked about already, it might mean there is no rush yet to have that conversation? 

Even though you would think with the chat on VLH plus the usual chit chat between stores, that Food Managers would be pushing to start the process!

Mildew

« Reply #1046 on: 16-09-19, 04:11PM »
yes, just been told my role has gone. I'm in an Extra

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #1047 on: 16-09-19, 04:45PM »
What was your response to that conversation Mildew?

Are you ok with what has been offered in terms of looking for another role in local area, or have you voiced any concerns?

Be interesting to hear what other managers are saying!

Mildew

« Reply #1048 on: 16-09-19, 06:26PM »
I'm absolutely not ok with what is on offer and have given numerous questions that I want answers to before I move on to my own personal plan of action.

DJL

• Know All
« Reply #1049 on: 16-09-19, 07:54PM »
I can understand your tone Mildew, what they age failed to realise is there will be a group of managers who will be happy to move role, those that need that security in their life due to personal circumstances, then there will be the group who don’t, and for whatever reason, the company have decided to reengage in another role rather than make redundant.

Good on you for sticking to your guns.  I hope you get answers to your questions, put a grievance in if you haven’t already!