Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-12-19, 02:56AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 8672
  • Latest: Keeoe
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62916
  • Total Topics: 1108
  • Online Today: 350
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 77
Total: 78

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.  (Read 254391 times)

big baker boy

Re: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.
« Reply #475 on: 14-08-19, 09:05PM »
Hi do you's now if their is changes to the bakery this time ?

beentheredoneit

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #476 on: 14-08-19, 09:23PM »
15 gas on stock control is the dividing line  .... more than that 2 managers needed, less only one.
Had my meeting today. No stock manager position at my store and no redundancy. Turned down 2 jobs at store, awaiting further vacancies.
Meantime involving union - and a lawyer if necessary  to get redundancy.
beentheredoneit

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #477 on: 14-08-19, 09:41PM »
If your contract says stock manager and you are no longer to be a stock manager Tesco are ended your contract by either redundancy or dismissal. They are merely trying to mitigate this by offering you a different position instore.

Stick to your guns and seek legal advice.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #478 on: 14-08-19, 11:09PM »
NightandDay has posted a link to the redundancy legal stance on his post #431
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #479 on: 14-08-19, 11:42PM »
Indeed and this is an important facet of that page.

"the employer failed to look and/or offer alternative employment."

or direct from gov.uk

"Your redundancy could be an unfair dismissal if your employer has suitable alternative employment and they do not offer it to you."

So whilst people looking for redundancy may bemoan not potentially getting it, it's Tesco's obligation to provide suitable alternative employment where available.

Though,  defining what is suitable is a can of worms, and ultimately would be up to a employment tribunal to decide.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #480 on: 15-08-19, 01:38AM »
Agreed, agreeing what is suitable is open to interpretation, but I would generally go by this rule of thumb.

If you're offered a different role in the same location with shifts within what you've put on the availability form and same hours and if the new role doesn't exacerbate a current disability or injury and is of equal or greater salary, then as long as training is provided, that to most people would be deemed reasonable/suitable.

Anything else can easily be deemed unreasonable/unsuitable as it conflicts with your personal life.
« Last Edit: 15-08-19, 01:39AM by NightAndDay »

Databoy07

« Reply #481 on: 15-08-19, 05:27AM »
What does phone shop manager span of control mean are there changes to the job role like
Having to do duty’s again 🤓

Jk77

« Reply #482 on: 15-08-19, 07:22AM »
Suitable alternative can also include responsibility, so from a metro team manager point of view i feel there must be a case. As there is a huge change between managing a team/department to being responsible for the whole shop. More staff, more kpis, multiple departments. Will have more responsibility than some senior team in larger formats without the money. Hope to see all of you who don’t get what you at the tribunal, feel there might be a lot of them taken out

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #483 on: 15-08-19, 08:03AM »
Heard from union that security guard are going all agency

I hope you are right but that doesnt tally with the information I got and the fact that all the agency guards were got rid of months ago in our store leaving only the Tesco guards.

Mickymouse1962

• Know All
« Reply #484 on: 15-08-19, 08:24AM »
Our store 1 Tesco guard rest Cordant

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #485 on: 15-08-19, 08:24AM »
I heard security guards pay grade was being brought in line with ga's and they were getting protected pay . It's strange theres no confirmation on anything security guard related . Our store only has one Tesco guard now all the rest are agency .

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #486 on: 15-08-19, 09:42AM »
Cordant are the Agency supplying our guards. I have heard soon they may consider getting a Agency to provide the bulk of GAs. This would save the company a fortune on sick pay etc.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #487 on: 15-08-19, 10:05AM »
It's not easy to implement agency retail staff in those numbers for a company like Tesco, yes there will be no sick pay, but also attendance can't be managed in the same way, you can't sack an agency retail assistant, you can only get them replaced, which the agency deals with, it takes a significant degree of control away from recruitment and performance management as well, agency retailers are fine in short term and small numbers but replacing the majority of ca's with them will cause some management issues.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #488 on: 15-08-19, 10:21AM »
It is not easy but it is doable. The plan would be to have a 12-15 week prob period then if the candidates are performing well where there is budget offer them perm 2-3 days/nights a week. Those made perm with agency will assess the next candidates through the prob period. I have seen it working well elsewhere. They would Tupe all existing staff over to the Agency. If you mess around the agency phone you and say your services are not required. Where there is no budget but good candidates the temp contract will roll on.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #489 on: 15-08-19, 10:40AM »
Another issue with this is that it will affect the promotion pool. Tesco will have to rely on the quality of external hires for management positions (most of the time they do not perform as well as someone who has been promoted internally).

Shifting to the agency route will also affect the responsibilities that managers hold, with no sickness policies, attendance policies or disciplinary policies to follow (as these will be handled by the agency) managers will have fewer responsibilities which could prompt Tesco to downgrade current manager roles to leader roles, a la deputy store managera to shift leaders.

Jk77

« Reply #490 on: 15-08-19, 11:03AM »
This is kind of what they are doing to metro’s at the moment. Cutting management and giving them more responsibility (possibly until agency arrives) then treating the shift leader as management. The company win wins, gets in their eyes say 7 people to run the store instead of 4, and all for less payroll.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #491 on: 15-08-19, 11:09AM »
If what you say is true about agency staff, when this gets implemented it will be a massive restructure, a lot bigger than the recent 4,500 job losses, this will make the headlines, it will also raise some serious questions about USDAWs function as a union.

Jethro

« Reply #492 on: 15-08-19, 11:18AM »
It is not easy but it is doable. The plan would be to have a 12-15 week prob period then if the candidates are performing well where there is budget offer them perm 2-3 days/nights a week. Those made perm with agency will assess the next candidates through the prob period. I have seen it working well elsewhere. They would Tupe all existing staff over to the Agency. If you mess around the agency phone you and say your services are not required. Where there is no budget but good candidates the temp contract will roll on.

You are full of s***

blablabla

« Reply #493 on: 15-08-19, 11:30AM »
Totally BS

Mickymouse1962

• Know All
« Reply #494 on: 15-08-19, 12:08PM »
Some security grade F being reduced to a c grade or some choosing redundancy

BakerBum

« Reply #495 on: 15-08-19, 01:28PM »
do the metro store's have scratch bakeries or bake off ?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #496 on: 15-08-19, 01:34PM »
The Tesco meeting notes say this was a legacy error, I don't know if the responsibilities of security guards have changed significantly in the last 10-20 years for them to be rated as a grade F in the first place, but during my 7 year tenure at Tesco, my perception was that there were no in-house security guards, all were agency and all were paid more or less the same as the Grade A's and B's give or take 10p.

And not being funny, but the responsibilities Tesco imposes on security guards now (at least in Express) is to deter and report only, hardly worthy of a grade F rating.

« Last Edit: 15-08-19, 01:39PM by NightAndDay »

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #497 on: 15-08-19, 01:43PM »

Cazcat

« Reply #498 on: 15-08-19, 02:43PM »
Our metro bakery is bake off. Being reduced in size and range apparently !. Job losses unknown until week 27.

marnie

• Regular Pain
« Reply #499 on: 15-08-19, 02:56PM »
If staff were to put I to A third party they will still be on same terms and conditions so will retail  hols sick pay and redundancy if they were made redundant in the future