Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:52AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60689
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.  (Read 186988 times)

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
Re: 2019 Structure Changes. Part 2.
« Reply #50 on: 01-08-19, 11:02AM »
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/04/tesco-hails-turnaround-as-full-year-profit-surges-34/

Don't get me wrong, we've been treated like s*** by lewis, but this is capitalism, what's good for business isn't necessarily good for us.

The money generated from its downsizing and loss of liabilities will have contributed significantly to this, don't be disillusioned, Tesco is still losing market share to Aldi and Lidl, the sale of its assets and downsizing will be felt in the next year or so.

https://www.tescoplc.com/investors/reports-results-and-presentations/financial-performance/five-year-record/

But aye I’m sure the closure of counters is gonna be the final nail in the coffin.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/280208/grocery-market-share-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

As I said, though their fiscal figures would look good after downsizing as they have done, a decline year on year in market share would imply decreasing sales and profits. They are celebrating sales and profit targets being exceeded, the long term state of the business is not as optimistic as they will have you believe.
« Last Edit: 01-08-19, 11:03AM by NightAndDay »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #51 on: 01-08-19, 11:16AM »
Yet year on year sales growth is up, 13 quarters in a row in-fact from April time.

You’re literally focusing on one measure and ignoring everything else.

« Last Edit: 01-08-19, 11:17AM by alf »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #52 on: 01-08-19, 11:22AM »
I bet you we'll start to hear about losses and structure changes in 2-3 years time and possibly another accounting scandal. Market share trends measured from an external company is a good indicatation of the health of the business.

When Tesco suffered a £6.4 billion loss, this was primarily because they overvalued their property portfolio, the figures the company give are always going to be optimistic when assets are involved.
« Last Edit: 01-08-19, 11:26AM by NightAndDay »

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #53 on: 01-08-19, 11:29AM »
Aye and year on year growth in sales, growth in profit, decreases in debt are also good indicators.

Maybe save the predictions for mystic meg.

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #54 on: 01-08-19, 11:37AM »
Interestingly from that link I posted the number of full time staff has been relatively consistent, with an actual increase last year.

Though I know it certainly doesn’t feel like it.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #55 on: 01-08-19, 12:47PM »
Just do your job and don't give a care about the structure changes. It'll be good for Dave's wallet, all the young team that are getting too comfortable and for all the old timers a nice early retirement. The best thing would be voluntary redundancy.  Have seen too many screwed over while others who are desperate for redundancy can't get it. Tesco is going down pan.

T.C.1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #56 on: 01-08-19, 04:09PM »
Just read Tesco Metro in Lowerstoft will close next month!  It seems the staff knew nothing about about the closure  :'(

[you]Shock as town centre Tesco to close[/you]
« Last Edit: 02-08-19, 11:01AM by Nomad »

Lostrebel

« Reply #57 on: 01-08-19, 10:09PM »
Does anyone know of the on going trials within the bakery? I’ve heard some rumours that nearly all bakeries would move to a part baked operations to do away with night bakers?

Noyouwont

« Reply #58 on: 01-08-19, 10:38PM »
I have heard there is a trial starting in a few weeks, that will see everything, but soft roll, being brought in.
Sticks, batons bread etc, not to be made in store.

Only needs half the staff (a few bakers to bake off and make soft, and pakers to continue to do what they do currently)

Bakeries to "close" at 6pm.

With no power comes no responsibility.

fscer

• Regular Pain
« Reply #59 on: 01-08-19, 11:15PM »
Trial is part bake and very very reduced range.
My store is on it.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #60 on: 01-08-19, 11:59PM »
Not trying to scare anyone, was told everyone on a full time contract would be offered redundancy or a flexi contract. Anyone else?

Sounds like bovine excrement to me. Full timers may be a dying breed, but it would still cost way too much in redundancy payments if a significant percentage chose to tale the money and run. And personally I'd bite their damned hands off it was offered to me.

Jethro

« Reply #61 on: 02-08-19, 11:25AM »
What's happened to the full time bakers at these trial stores, have they been offered redundancy?

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #62 on: 02-08-19, 11:33AM »
The candlestick makers will be next in the firing line  :D

Jethro

« Reply #63 on: 02-08-19, 11:38AM »
Your a funny guy,  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: 02-08-19, 05:18PM by Nomad »

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #64 on: 02-08-19, 11:55AM »
I know  ;D

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #65 on: 02-08-19, 12:25PM »
We hardly sold any bakery in the Express store I used to work at, baguettes, bloomers and rolls would sell out but nothing else. Reducing quantity (and therefore hours spent baking) makes sense as it's just a waste of time and food otherwise.

tumshie

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
  • life is not a rehearsal
« Reply #66 on: 02-08-19, 10:38PM »
Not trying to scare anyone, was told everyone on a full time contract would be offered redundancy or a flexi contract. Anyone else?

Redundancy only takes place if your job is to stop existing.
It's not okay to tell people they are redundant if you just want to reorganise work which still exists.

AsdaBeBetter

« Reply #67 on: 03-08-19, 09:49AM »
Any rumours around Metro restructures? Have heard some myself

Longinthetooth

« Reply #68 on: 03-08-19, 07:11PM »
Can someone please state what this structure change is meant to be. Has anyone heard

Think it’s fair to say that lots of things are in the cross-hairs which we can pretty much guess what they are:
We’re trying to second guess when and in what order
The lock down on leaks and disclosures this time is likely to have been brutal so that’s why no one has a scooby really, could just as easily be looking at half of sod all in a few weeks or a seismic shake up?.

Lead team downsize
Shift leaders vs team managers
Bakery simplification
Stock control managers
PFS managers
Phone shop manager span of control
GM simplification in Extras
7 day contracts
Pharmacy disposal
Tesco security colleagues
Security / loss prevention managers
Further nights to days replenishment
Store disposal, non profitable
Click and collect .com switch off
PFS shop closure
Payroll / admin / cash office / price integrity simplification

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #69 on: 03-08-19, 07:23PM »
I hope nights to days happens in my place. The day shift will cope fine with the amount of staff they are getting. For the first time in years all the day-shift managers were on the floor this morning. The night managers are still hiding in the office and disappearing early when everyone is being asked to stay on to complete the job.  Most the staff would run at first chance of redundancy not because they dislike working but because the don't like what Tesco has become.
« Last Edit: 03-08-19, 07:31PM by Nomad »

dazedandconfused

« Reply #70 on: 04-08-19, 05:01PM »
Hi all,

This is an update regarding the redundancy overpayment.

After some back and forth [and an acknowledgement that the reply may be shown to media outlet(s) or others] the root cause of the problem was the rounding up of a persons service.

Below is an example, it is not however my actual length of service;

5 years 8 months of service => rounded up to 6 years of service. Part of the redundancy payment only covers whole years of service.

I hope that is of interest to someone.
I have had it with you people, you are all a bunch of fickle mush heads!

Hes right! Give us hell quimby! -- Simpsons

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #71 on: 04-08-19, 05:38PM »
I hope nights to days happens in my place. The day shift will cope fine with the amount of staff they are getting. For the first time in years all the day-shift managers were on the floor this morning. The night managers are still hiding in the office and disappearing early when everyone is being asked to stay on to complete the job.  Most the staff would run at first chance of redundancy not because they dislike working but because the don't like what Tesco has become.

Quote from chris 9997
Why should the night managers stay on to complete the job , day managers should take over where the night managers left off. Tesco’s for a long time have relied on staff working free giving the wrong impression of staffing levels.
« Last Edit: 04-08-19, 05:39PM by chris9997 »

Apples

« Reply #72 on: 04-08-19, 06:08PM »
Dazedandconfused many thanks for the update. Not sure it will help in any way but it does explain things. As I was much closer to what they rounded up to I actually think it seems more unfair them demanding it repaid.

Towers45

« Reply #73 on: 04-08-19, 06:26PM »
Anyone think stock control managers will be reduced in large format stores

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #74 on: 04-08-19, 07:28PM »
Managers will need to be reduced fullstop