Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
13-10-19, 11:54PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61562
  • Total Topics: 1080
  • Online Today: 183
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 127
Total: 133

Author Topic: Help to save  (Read 3079 times)

Baker1961

• VLH Supporter
Help to save
« on: 21-07-19, 01:32PM »
Guys if you are on tax credits and some benefits you can open a help to save account, you put in an amount and the government give you 50% bonus after two years up to £50 a month.  So in real terms you pay £50 the govt pay £25 so in two years you pay £1200 and the gov give you £600, just google 'help to save' on how to set it up hope this helps everyone.

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-savings-low-income if you have a partner he or she can apply as well doubling the amounts
« Last Edit: 21-07-19, 01:37PM by Baker1961 »

Voulezvous

Re: Help to save
« Reply #1 on: 21-07-19, 03:46PM »
Helped to be paid for by me the tax payer

just curious

• Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 21-07-19, 05:57PM »
@Mcvoddie

How do you know Baker1961 is not a tax payer them selves ?

If Tosco and every other company paid a living wage then there would be no need for such schemes and benefits , If Baker 1961 or any one else can benefit from it good luck to them . The Prime minister , MP'S , Directors and the rest of the fat cats cream enough out of the tax payer why shouldn't the little man have a piece of the cake ?.

Put £50 a month into save as you earn every month - bet the returns are not as good as the above scheme ?.

Baker1961

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 21-07-19, 06:44PM »
I pay tax as I work full time for tesco , my wife does not work as she is disabled I was on working tax credits but this year they will stop because earning 14 payments from work ,just thought it would help others who have to rely on tax credits because of low earnings to get some money saved up,  and the return is worth it if you can manage to do it

Charlie Harper

« Reply #4 on: 22-07-19, 10:40PM »
Done it  :thumbup: It actually runs over 4 years,  after the 1st 2 years (as Baker1961 discribes) you'll get your 1st pay out, then it continues. A Potential £1200 windfall if you can manage to save the max £50 a month over 4 years (& not touch it).

Baker1961

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #5 on: 23-07-19, 03:30PM »
Done it  :thumbup: It actually runs over 4 years,  after the 1st 2 years (as Baker1961 discribes) you'll get your 1st pay out, then it continues. A Potential £1200 windfall if you can manage to save the max £50 a month over 4 years (& not touch it).
you can also open one for your partner double your amount saved in four years to £2400  windfall

Shoestring

« Reply #6 on: 23-07-19, 05:09PM »
Is this serious? This is why people not getting free money get so upset off, we work hard, get no outside help and struggle to survive, have no savings, can not afford to save. People on benefits get even more free money, why the hell do I work, I will be better off getting a free ride on the states back, what an incentive to work eh!!!  >:D

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 23-07-19, 05:57PM »
It's awfully conservative of you to demonize those on benefits, if you look at the distribution of wealth over the past 10 years in the UK, we are now one of the worst countries in Europe for wealth inequality, this is in large part down to the governments austerity schemes, attack on welfare policies and poorly thought out and implemented property ownership schemes.

Shoestring

« Reply #8 on: 23-07-19, 07:08PM »
Oh dear, really, not demonising welfare recipients at all, you need to learn to read a post better than with biased thinking. I am 'demonising' no incentives or help for people on low income but not entitled to benefits or choose not to rely upon them. I was on benefits many years ago and was so much better off than today, not claiming that for the sake of argument, it is a fact.

Such is, it is about time there were incentives for working instead of empty misleading lies.

The rest of your post is a mere tip of the iceberg of reality. :P

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #9 on: 24-07-19, 07:30AM »
In an ideal world this would not be a discussion, but there has, and always will be, a division between the have and have nots in any society.

Having myself been in receipt of "handouts" in the past, I can honestly say it was the most humiliating, depressing and demoralising period of my life. Comments of me sitting down watching TV all day, were common. But I was lucky, we had a welfare system, that gave me support, when I was in greatest need, unlike my widowed grandmother who was left to bring up 4 children, lost her home and scraped by doing bits of jobs to make ends meet, as there was no welfare system or support for her. I was only made aware of this fact one day when I laughed at my mother for carefully folding wrapping paper from a gift and rolling up the gift twine!!

Move on 80 years, and now we have a society where people are born and die on the welfare system. Throwing handouts at people in the past, just hid the problem and encouraged the mindset of some who abused the system. instead of schools having a curriculum of pointless lessons in dead topics, they should re introduce basic home economics starting in infant school, moving on to home skills in juniors. The government should introduce apprenticeship schemes for day release, to enable younger teenagers to learn how to deal with everyday issues. How many of the younger generation leave school knowing how to cook, change a plug, decorate and budget wisely. Many don't have the family structure of an elder generation teaching and guiding.
So yes, we will always have the ones who sit with heating on full blast in a T shirt, think nothing of buying a take out and the weekly shop consists mainly of convenience food, but is that their fault if they've never been shown any different? EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION.

Rant over  :(

« Last Edit: 24-07-19, 07:32AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 24-07-19, 08:02AM »
Agree 100% , I once worked with a girl who bought a new lamp because she didn't know how to change a plug .

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #11 on: 24-07-19, 10:34AM »
We are going off topic, but I think the "Help to save" has been covered.

I totally agree with a "safety net", but not the ability to afford a mobile phone contract, pay TV channels and several other "luxuries" while on the safety net.

Don't get me started on the lack of aptitude of the generations that are following on. 
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

chris9997

• Know All
« Reply #12 on: 24-07-19, 11:54AM »
Surely the main purpose of benefits is for people in need which I agree with, if you can afford to save an amount up to £50 a month maybe they are being paid to much, as for the 50% bonus maybe the government could spend this money elsewhere NHS, elderly care springs to mind.
When this help to buy was created it was to help low earners to get a deposit together and surprise surprise most of the people who took up the sceme never needed it.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #13 on: 24-07-19, 05:35PM »
The "help to buy" isa actually ends  soon , from November you will no longer be able to start a new one but if you already have one you can continue to save as normal .

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #14 on: 28-07-19, 06:57PM »
I pay tax as I work full time for tesco , my wife does not work as she is disabled I was on working tax credits but this year they will stop because earning 14 payments from work ,just thought it would help others who have to rely on tax credits because of low earnings to get some money saved up,  and the return is worth it if you can manage to do it

I am struggling to believe you, Sorry but there it is, I work full time at tesco my wife works full time elsewhere. I am also disabled and I get PIP which is not means tested so if you are entitled to it you get it regardless of employment status.

The working tax credits you get that you say will be take away from you because you got an extra pay day. The brackets for WTC are not very narrow in so far as the gap between the lowest you can earn and the maximum before it gets stopped altogether is 10s of thousands so unless you are an extremely high earner 1 pay day of 1200 quid will not make enough difference to stop WTC, It could in theory lower the amount you get but I doubt it.

Is this serious? This is why people not getting free money get so upset off, we work hard, get no outside help and struggle to survive, have no savings, can not afford to save. People on benefits get even more free money, why the hell do I work, I will be better off getting a free ride on the states back, what an incentive to work eh!!!  >:D

No one is stopping you quitting your job and living the high life on the dole as you seem to think people are doing.
« Last Edit: 28-07-19, 06:59PM by forrestgimp »