Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-07-19, 10:43AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58123
  • Total Topics: 1030
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Annual bonus scheme.  (Read 10878 times)

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Re: Annual bonus scheme.
« Reply #50 on: 14-07-19, 09:32AM »
So we had shares in success, followed by a free buffet which was kicked into touch, then we had the bonus, used as a tool by managers to give a good WMTY, kicked into touch. When drastic cleared the shelves of popular brands, we were given little booklets to note a customer request to reinstall or offer a substitute, never used as the customers just walked. Assets were sold hand over fist, Tesco online kicked into touch, premium pay cut, subsidised meals kicked into touch as canteens closed down, replacing with 25% discount in customer cafe (if your store has one) which will be kicked into touch as customers start complaining no free tables as all taken up by staff, and the profits are down due to the discount, which was already happening as the staff made a point of getting a drink during busy trading periods to fill up the tables, in protest of the canteen closures and staff redundancies. The social fund is no longer used for staff outings etc. Which used to be subsidised by Tesco, it's mainly used for Christmas party night out, planned by management and no longer free for staff. The Christmas lunch...will that be lost? or will you stand in a queue with a pre prepared plated lunch, waiting to use the microwave? Will Schloer profits go down if they don't give the choice of red or white and pretend it's wine!

The long service monetary awards drastically slashed, no presentation, just sent to your home with a badge for you to proudly wear. The retirement monetary package drastically slashed. The death in service payment is the only thing I can think of that drastic hasn't got his mitts on.........YET!!
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #51 on: 14-07-19, 09:38AM »
Same here. I did more OT to boost my annual bonus. Imagine me as a CA receiving over 1.4k one year. I bought laptop for my girlfriend and still had plenty left.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #52 on: 14-07-19, 10:34AM »
I don't think bonus was apriciated by all. I don't know much about benefits as I have never had to claim them but a friend has said it seriously messes things up for her. I have always enjoyed my bonus but if it has caused difficulties for those that have to claim benefits I can see why they have changed it as more and more part time people now.

She would have had to have been on a massive whack of a bonus for it to mess up in work benefits.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #53 on: 14-07-19, 11:13AM »
I don't think bonus was apriciated by all. I don't know much about benefits as I have never had to claim them but a friend has said it seriously messes things up for her. I have always enjoyed my bonus but if it has caused difficulties for those that have to claim benefits I can see why they have changed it as more and more part time people now.

To some people the bonus was there yearly holiday from who I've spoken to. It was a way that Tesco could silently say to there colleagues thanks for all your hard work over the year, heres a % bonus, thankyou very much... Instead they've made another money saver for the share holders by getting shut of the bonus. It will save the company millions which again makes drasticdave look good for his share holders.

When people are questioning weather people worked harder for there bonus, if people were clever enough they would have realised that any overtime done would go towards there bonus. For example I worked 6 days a week for 8 months roughly and that made a massive chunk to my bonus. Now there is no bonus I ain't working harder to achieve nothing but the bare minimum. How can they even say they have gave us a 10.45% wage increase when we are on 10.29 p/h and it only goes up to 11.16 p/h, it's not even 10.45%, should be 1.03 increase p/h but its 87p increase, just a load of BS!!!

That's an 87p increase over 2 years and your loss of a bonus. I've covered this before in another thread but iirc your raise equates to a 3-4% increase overall.

The 1 thing that I'm surprised nobody has questioned yet is the pay increases being pretty much the same across all grades except for ca and customer delivery driver. If Shift Leaders/ Team Support get a 57p increase to their wage and cas gets a 58p increase, not only does that mean the gap between earnings in smaller, but the pay differentials will now start to compromise the value of work done by Shift Leaders and Team Support, also adding to this that shift leaders and team support have more to lose from the removal of the bonus than ca's.

When pay reviews were done before, percent increases were done as per job role, not as done here basing the massaged figure on the role that gets the biggest proportional increase.

When I say pay differentials I mean this, at the moment the difference in pay between shift leaders and ca's is £1.87 per hour, when wages are £8.42 per hour and £10.29 per hour, that would appear to an outsider to be a significant difference (in terms of wages paid, not work done to earn the difference), but would you say the same if cas were on £100 an hour and shift leaders were on £101.87 per hour? Add to this the new increase makes the difference smaller by 1p (though taking what I just said into account, it's actually a lot more than 1p).

« Last Edit: 14-07-19, 11:18AM by NightAndDay »

Toscoboy

« Reply #54 on: 14-07-19, 11:53AM »
Global Moderator Comment Please do not quote immediately prior post(s).

Extremely good point, how can CAs get a bigger increase on a smaller wage with the 10.45% increase. Technically CAs should have 84p increase and SL should have a 1.03 increase but this has not happened. Would be very interesting to know if this could get put to the national forum and brought up and challenged......

The bonus obviously has more of an affect with full time CAs and shift leader/team support with the hours they put into the business. Might not matter to poor old Doris who sits on a till for 4 hours a week but to us full timers it's a massive set back.

cityboy

• Know All
« Reply #55 on: 14-07-19, 12:59PM »
I just feel deflated by the Dave Lewis era at Tesco. He has stripped us of our dignity as workers who seemed of value to our employers. 1990's Tesco had an unwritten agreement that if you worked hard, you could buy your house, look after family, and be low key prosperous under the Tesco banner. Can the young/new Tesco employees say the same thing? Capitalism is at its lowest ebb, the rich richer, the poor poorer, and I can't see the solution. Dave Lewis. why have you no shame?

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #56 on: 14-07-19, 03:23PM »
When the company are blatantly referring to the bonus causing difficulties for those qualifying for benefits, is that then not admission of just how low the CA wage really is

tescopleb

• Smart Arse
« Reply #57 on: 14-07-19, 03:36PM »
This would imply that a large number of employees of a major blue chip company are having their wages subsidised by the state in lieu of a living wage which they can well afford to pay. They should be ashamed
« Last Edit: 14-07-19, 03:38PM by tescopleb »

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #58 on: 14-07-19, 04:12PM »
Let’s hope when he leaves we get someone who knows what they are doing .

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #59 on: 14-07-19, 04:41PM »
I just feel deflated by the Dave Lewis era at Tesco. He has stripped us of our dignity as workers who seemed of value to our employers. 1990's Tesco had an unwritten agreement that if you worked hard, you could buy your house, look after family, and be low key prosperous under the Tesco banner. Can the young/new Tesco employees say the same thing? Capitalism is at its lowest ebb, the rich richer, the poor poorer, and I can't see the solution. Dave Lewis. why have you no shame?

To be fair, it's not just in Tesco that this is happening, it's all over the country.  We've got too many people chasing too few jobs and companies are taking advantage of this.  The trouble is, less and less people have the spending power to keep the show going, hence the rise of lidl and aldi, then tesco and co panic because their market share goes down.  They respond by lowering wages and cutting staff and the circle starts again. 

Nightworker23

« Reply #60 on: 14-07-19, 04:52PM »

To be fair, it's not just in Tesco that this is happening, it's all over the country.  We've got too many people chasing too few jobs and companies are taking advantage of this.  The trouble is, less and less people have the spending power to keep the show going, hence the rise of lidl and aldi, then tesco and co panic because their market share goes down.  They respond by lowering wages and cutting staff and the circle starts again. 

Totally disagree. You should see the amount of £50,000+ cars in my local Aldi car park. It's not about spending power, it's about value, and quality for money. Aldi products are of equal if not better quality than Tesco, at perhaps 60-70% of the price.
Our store has lost many customers to a recently opened Aldi about 3miles away. Why travel when you can get everything you want at a fraction of the price, right on your doorstep?

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #61 on: 14-07-19, 05:00PM »
Exactly. You go to Tesco and pay more to generate the billion pound profit whilst walking past 50 types of canned tomatoes or you go to the discounters and walk past just one and contribute to modest profits.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #62 on: 14-07-19, 05:53PM »
Totally disagree. You should see the amount of £50,000+ cars in my local Aldi car park. It's not about spending power, it's about value, and quality for money. Aldi products are of equal if not better quality than Tesco, at perhaps 60-70% of the price.
Our store has lost many customers to a recently opened Aldi about 3miles away. Why travel when you can get everything you want at a fraction of the price, right on your doorstep?

Okay, I didn't make my point very well, shouldn't have used the Lidl and Aldi analogy.  I'm trying to say that low wages affect spending power, if you haven't got it, you can't spend it and then money does not circulate round the economy.  If I'm paid a good rate of pay, I might spend some of that on, oh I don't know, going to the pub for lunch, which then keeps the waiter in a job, which means that he or she can go to tesco or lidl and buy their shopping.  Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

I know Lidl and Aldi are great, Tesco could learn a lot from their business model.  I shop there myself but I can't buy everything in there.  People like value and a bargain, no matter how much they earn.

State Of Decay

« Reply #63 on: 14-07-19, 10:54PM »
I know Lidl and Aldi are great, Tesco could learn a lot from their business model

That used to be their business model stack it high and sell it cheap

They moved out Aldi and Lidl moved in

but going back on topic the annual bonus scheme has gone and replaced by this 10.45% pay rise my only concern is what else is going to get hit.As we know they are not doing it for the love of their staff .They are either getting something out of it or we are going to take further hits down the line to make up the difference.

NightAndDay

• Know All
« Reply #64 on: 14-07-19, 11:03PM »
The only thing left is Sunday and bank holiday premiums, they can't make the pension any worse, we've never had paid breaks, bonus is now gone, though i'm sure they'll axe Sunday premium they will have to maintain some semblance of bank holiday premium, all the competitors do.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #65 on: 15-07-19, 02:14AM »
I know Lidl and Aldi are great, Tesco could learn a lot from their business model

but going back on topic the annual bonus scheme has gone and replaced by this 10.45% pay rise my only concern is what else is going to get hit.As we know they are not doing it for the love of their staff .They are either getting something out of it or we are going to take further hits down the line to make up the difference.

Tesco will be changing  even more than we've seen in last few years.  On top of that it might pull out from Poland as tesco is down from  450 stores to about 350 and one DC closed as well.  On top of that they are facing strike there as union put their hands on some papers showing that in British stores there is up to 11 times more workers ( per store) than in Poland.  They want more money as well as competition is now giving much much more.

So I thing DL might want to raise more cash for any huge shake up.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #66 on: 15-07-19, 02:23AM »
« Last Edit: 15-07-19, 02:26AM by lordadmiral »

Happy Days

« Reply #67 on: 15-07-19, 08:58AM »
The article was an excellent read. Very well worth it. You can see the direction that the company is going.

madness

• Know All
« Reply #68 on: 15-07-19, 10:43AM »

Tesco will be changing  even more than we've seen in last few years.  On top of that it might pull out from Poland as tesco is down from  450 stores to about 350 and one DC closed as well.  On top of that they are facing strike there as union put their hands on some papers showing that in British stores there is up to 11 times more workers ( per store) than in Poland.  They want more money as well as competition is now giving much much more.

So I thing DL might want to raise more cash for any huge shake up.

Plenty of spare staff dancing like idiots at wembley