Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-10-19, 07:00AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61686
  • Total Topics: 1084
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 51
Total: 59

Author Topic: Annual bonus scheme.  (Read 17410 times)

A8442612

Re: Annual bonus scheme.
« Reply #25 on: 10-07-19, 11:46AM »
Great thinking Tesco, why should I work hard just to give my manager a bonus? This is a massive disincentive for many people.
Something seriously wrong there isn't there. Harder I work the more bonus my manager gets, fu$£ that!
No incentive to work hard anymore these days. Now it's just a "Thanks for Today"!

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #26 on: 10-07-19, 04:50PM »
Did colleagues or managers really go the extra mile for sales and service to get 2.5% bonus?

I've not come across many?

Do you think that line/lead managers let the fact that most wl3 store managers get 40% bonus determine how hard they work?

Thats gone on for decades.

If you want the 2.5% bonus back,  gather support and take it to the forum.  Maybe they'll freeze a future pay rise to get it back for you.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #27 on: 10-07-19, 07:58PM »
Well said

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #28 on: 10-07-19, 08:36PM »
No more incentive to work or atleast to do bit more.
« Last Edit: 10-07-19, 08:41PM by lordadmiral »

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #30 on: 12-07-19, 06:56AM »
Did colleagues or managers really go the extra mile for sales and service to get 2.5% bonus?

Do you think that line/lead managers let the fact that most wl3 store managers get 40% bonus determine how hard they work?

If you want the 2.5% bonus back,  gather support and take it to the forum.  Maybe they'll freeze a future pay rise to get it back for you.

It's all psychological,  If you feel that your company appreciates you, pays you fairly and treats you well, then most people repay that investment by working hard, taking pride in their work and doing their very best.  It's feeling a part of the company team, I'm sure we've all had that in previous employment but Tesco treat their staff so badly, nobody has that feeling, it's very toxic to work there. 

As for the manager's bonus, well if you like your manager all well and good but if you don't then your not going to want them to get their bonus.  I also don't see why we have to lose our meager bonus just because we've been given a meager pay rise.  Why can't we have both?  Why can't they share the profits out a bit? 

Nothing about Tesco makes me care about it, I do what I have to do and go home, I could do more, I could do better but I don't and neither do a lot of people. 

Mr Grumpy

• Know All
  • I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees ..
« Reply #31 on: 12-07-19, 08:35AM »
In Ye Olden days, when the stores were packed full of full timers who cared about their departments, store and the company it was in the big T's interest to keep these staff, pay them a top for retail salary with plenty of bonus type rewards.

As retail has gone completely 180 from what it was, a company that employs as many now as the big T knows it doesn't have to pay anymore than the absolute minimum and they will still get applicants for jobs due to the current uncertainly around the BX word.

I don't think the removal of benefits and above minimum wage pay will stop until they catch up and the staff will be left with zero benefits and a minimum wage job. 

There already is a high turnover of staff, this seems to be a business plan of turnstile type employment making the staff cheaper and cheaper to fund.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #32 on: 12-07-19, 10:06AM »
I'm afraid its just retail in general now, unless you are at store manager level or above when it comes to pay and benefits the whole industry is on a race to the bottom. I know hourly rates might be increasing for many retail staff but is that not in many cases to ensure minimum wage levels are met.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #33 on: 12-07-19, 10:18AM »
Yes, some make no bones about that being the case (i.e Sainsbury's set their hourly rate to £9.20 over a year ago when Tesco was paying £8.02 an hour) they initially stated that it was to meet the governments target of the national living wage being £9.20 an hour by 2020.

Though you can disparage Sainsbury's for admitting that, they did raise it to that level 2 years before 2020, many would argue that it is a preferred approach to Tescos give and take, nickel and Dime approach to their increases through their misleading "2 year pay deals".

As for the other retailers, their terms and conditions were pretty much the same as Tesco before the race to meet the national living wage, the difference is the union had actually pressured the companies to give appropriate pay raises and terms and conditions, this didn't happen with Tesco as Tesco owns USDAW.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #34 on: 12-07-19, 11:03AM »
All retailers are streamlining their business' due to low footfall, high business rates and the impact from online competition. Which is why I was suprised when Tesco ceased ther online  sector.

It's natural evolution, the big department stores took trade from the small family business', the supermarkets took trade from the department stores, the superstores went out of town on lower business rates, then the retail parks emerged, and now they're all competing online, and the losers are the workforce, as they're now surplus to requirements. Retail is a dying breed, and we're the lemmings at the front  :(
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

Shoestring

« Reply #35 on: 12-07-19, 12:56PM »
As much as you are complaining about managers still getting he bonus colleagues get their pay rise regardless of how much work or how well they do. Managers will only get a payrise if they perform well or exceed (exceed is nigh on impossible I've only had 1 out of 4 years).

The point is the devaluation of the mortal workforce.
Managers still get a pay rise in line with inflation like everyone else, you also get the bonus incentive as where general staff are no longer even considered as worthy of anything extra for their work. I mean come on, seriously, an area where all outdated food and bread is put out for staff, never could there be anything so debasing as that, even food banks have fresh in date food ffs!

It is devaluation and debasing on pyramid scheme like ethics. Tesco has always favoured management by the way they are taught to belittle regular staff and all incentives to management and above. Tesco treat it's general staff like a modern slave trade industry, changing whatever they want whenever they want regardless of the lives they are doing it to.
The difference in the pay gap between management and general staff is such a chasm that it mimics the establishment in every way.

But, the moral of this story is self fulfilling, the greed and insensitivities will eventually undo a good thing, is undoing a good thing and will eventually destroy it and it won't be our loss and won't in all reality be exactly undeserving!  :-X

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #36 on: 12-07-19, 01:43PM »
Did you do "that bit more" the previous years when you got a bonus. From most of the posters on this site they didn't anyway.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #37 on: 12-07-19, 01:55PM »
I can honestly say I never thought of mine or managers bonus , I go in do my best and go home . Admittedly I do not go the extra that I would have in my previous department  but I really liked it and it was a hard working , friendly,  well managed team  , it wasn't my choice to move .
I will always do my best no matter where I work as work ethic was ingrained in me growing up but the past 18mths I have just learnt to do as I'm told and if something not done or finished because I've been called away somewhere else , well that's not my problem and its above my pay grade to worry about it . I stay because I have full holidays and that's what's important to me , we all stay for different reasons . We just have to accept it will never be the company it was and stop stressing about it , it wont change back , ever !

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #38 on: 12-07-19, 02:14PM »
That's the thing, you don't have to accept it, find another job that pays better, most places do, failing that, upskill yourself. At the end of the day Tesco depends on your lack of self worth and self respect to stay in business, the managers are there to make you feel worthless and to tow the company line and perpetuate the cycle.

Shoestring

« Reply #39 on: 12-07-19, 02:18PM »
Did you do "that bit more" the previous years when you got a bonus. From most of the posters on this site they didn't anyway.

Maybe some of us do more as a standard way of working as it is in us in our core and cannot be taught or bought. In fact, in that sense 'small' staff are being disenfranchised to the point it teaches that more and better does not pay off.
I have a natural propensity to please and help others, this has the potential to erode that and defy the logic of my natural instincts.

Business like life should evolve, this is devolution in the name of money for all the wrong reasons when you know profit is boldly increasing, so should working conditions and incentives, you can't move forward and backward at the same time unless it be in the name of money and retail it seems.

They aught remove the stupid think tank board of green and red light performance as it is insulting and irrelevant.
« Last Edit: 12-07-19, 02:26PM by Shoestring »

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #40 on: 12-07-19, 04:39PM »
That's the thing, you don't have to accept it, find another job that pays better, most places do, failing that, upskill yourself. At the end of the day Tesco depends on your lack of self worth and self respect to stay in business, the managers are there to make you feel worthless and to tow the company line and perpetuate the cycle.

My self worth is not defined by the job I do or by Tesco , as a wife , mother , daughter and sister , work is a very small part of who i am . What defined me is what I do when not in work , time with family and several holidays a year are what make me who I am , I don't go to another job because I don't want to waste time commuting and don't want to have to build up holidays again . They can keep their bonus , give one to managers , whatever , Tescos is a job , s a GA , it's not a career , you cant let define you !!

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #41 on: 12-07-19, 04:49PM »
The point i'm trying to make is, by accepting the erosion of your workers rights, your pay package, your conditions etc, you're saying to USDAW and to Tesco "I am happy for the disparity of wages between the top and bottom of the hierarchy to be larger, I'm happy to give up my rights, I'm happy to be an even smaller component of the corporate machine". Regardless of how you define your self worth, society runs on top of money and eventually, you'll be forced to fight for your workers rights.

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #42 on: 12-07-19, 08:38PM »
Yes i did. I am a person who can fill produce (3 aisles)and beer aisle in superstore on my own. Or drinks  and wine.
The better pay i had the harder i worked.
When we had team of good hard working people we used to work together for better results.
Try to fill whole cage of sqash in 12 minutes ( timed to test myself). No left overs, all out. And compare that with average working time of 40 minutes today.

Structure change drive good workers out of the business thrue redundancy. Some quit as managers tried to change theirs shifts, or expected from guy who was hit by car to fill 3 aisles as usuall even he didnt recover from injuries, other quit as managers told him  that filling 20 cages of yoghurt, milk dollys is not enough.
When we already lost few key members managers expected from remaining ones pick up even more although we been given some replacement. So the more we did other did less. So few more people left.

Today for example dairy with 4 workers require help to fill roughly 70% of what 3 people did few years ago.
10 cages of crisps and one cage of sweets (plus stock on capping shelves) i too much for some guy. But its its entirely fine when i am expected to fill 28 cages of crisps and 10 cages of sweets plus capping shelves.

We do advertise vacancys but we do not attract good workers.  Just those who are extremely bad.
Few weeks ago we had 25 people to fill 21 aisles. We failled badly,delivery only, and one aisle completely left for next day.
Its only 4 people who deliver exceptional performance ( including myself) but we alredy refusing to do that. If we are ask to do more we argue and refuse to do it or atleast we work so slow that we are failing.
Managers cant do anything to us as we do more than others and they are facing discrimination charges ( it longer story).

I worked as TL and manager so i did benefit from hard work. Today i wont no matter what i do. Top bosses do everything to destroy company or atleast bnefit them not all of us.
I end up in office many times in last few years  for speaking up, defending others, thinking 'pro business' to increase sale.
Not only that , due failed audit, we cant do some things due health and safety. But when i pointed it out few years ago i ended up in office with warning.

So in last word i say: tesco ' you want something from me? give me respected pay'...

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #43 on: 13-07-19, 09:35AM »

My self worth is not defined by the job I do or by Tesco , as a wife , mother , daughter and sister , work is a very small part of who i am . What defined me is what I do when not in work , time with family and several holidays a year are what make me who I am , I don't go to another job because I don't want to waste time commuting and don't want to have to build up holidays again . They can keep their bonus , give one to managers , whatever , Tescos is a job , s a GA , it's not a career , you cant let define you !!

Thats what they dont seem to realise, we will put up with this because its a means to an end we have as welshie so rightly puts it other things that set the value for our lives.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #44 on: 13-07-19, 11:04AM »

Was the bonus not put in place as a reward for meeting the big 6? Isn't that what people were told before filling in their WMTY? So has the big 6 targets now been shelved?

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #45 on: 13-07-19, 11:10AM »
Yea although I thought it was so they could quietly do away with our free shares. 

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #46 on: 13-07-19, 11:16AM »
@lordadmiral

Your post is spot on, echoes all stores, losing good staff hand over fist, not just old timers who can do the job as second nature, and still abide by the old Tesco core values...but newer staff who have the enthusiasm and drive, but they are seen as goffers by management, who want to keep them down so they can be used as lackeys. The good ones, who know their worth and won't be put on, don't stay long.

@Welshie

Nailed it!!! Go girl go  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: 13-07-19, 11:17AM by lucgeo »

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #47 on: 14-07-19, 07:42AM »
Some interesting comments above.  I just wonder why every other supermarket can do better for their staff and customers than Tesco can?  Let's be honest, not many people like the company at all. 

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #48 on: 14-07-19, 08:00AM »
I don't think bonus was apriciated by all. I don't know much about benefits as I have never had to claim them but a friend has said it seriously messes things up for her. I have always enjoyed my bonus but if it has caused difficulties for those that have to claim benefits I can see why they have changed it as more and more part time people now.

Toscoboy

« Reply #49 on: 14-07-19, 08:51AM »
I don't think bonus was apriciated by all. I don't know much about benefits as I have never had to claim them but a friend has said it seriously messes things up for her. I have always enjoyed my bonus but if it has caused difficulties for those that have to claim benefits I can see why they have changed it as more and more part time people now.

To some people the bonus was there yearly holiday from who I've spoken to. It was a way that Tesco could silently say to there colleagues thanks for all your hard work over the year, heres a % bonus, thankyou very much... Instead they've made another money saver for the share holders by getting shut of the bonus. It will save the company millions which again makes drasticdave look good for his share holders.

When people are questioning weather people worked harder for there bonus, if people were clever enough they would have realised that any overtime done would go towards there bonus. For example I worked 6 days a week for 8 months roughly and that made a massive chunk to my bonus. Now there is no bonus I ain't working harder to achieve nothing but the bare minimum. How can they even say they have gave us a 10.45% wage increase when we are on 10.29 p/h and it only goes up to 11.16 p/h, it's not even 10.45%, should be 1.03 increase p/h but its 87p increase, just a load of BS!!!