Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22-09-19, 07:52PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60870
  • Total Topics: 1071
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Bank holiday working  (Read 3060 times)

lalaland

• VLH Supporter
Bank holiday working
« on: 29-06-19, 02:56PM »
What is company policy regarding working bank holidays at my store people have been told that the expectation is everyone should work at least five. This applies even if the bank holiday falls on a non working day for the staff member. I know the policy changed for newer staff but this doesn’t seem right. Could someone point me towards the correct policy on this.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
Re: Bank holiday working
« Reply #1 on: 29-06-19, 02:58PM »
They cannot force older employees only newer members of staff.all you do is book it as holiday if you are contracted.

« Reply #2 on: 29-06-19, 05:13PM »
Read your contract. It says on there what the terms and conditions are regarding Bank Holiday working. 

« Reply #3 on: 29-06-19, 05:17PM »
Found this in the holiday policy.

If you joined Tesco before 26th January 2009, working on a bank holiday is voluntary unless your contract specifically requires you to do so.
If you joined on or after 26th January 2009 and there are insufficient volunteers to work on a bank holiday, you may be required to work on up to five bank holidays (excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) if you are normally scheduled to work on the day the bank holiday falls. Colleagues in Scotland do not have to work on 2nd January if they don’t want to.
If you’re on a flexi contract, it is your choice to work any flexi hours on a bank holiday.
If you don’t have a fixed working pattern, you will be treated as if you are scheduled to work on the bank holiday. However, it will still be your choice whether to work the day or not, and a day will be deducted from your bank holiday allowance if you don’t work.

lalaland

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 29-06-19, 06:27PM »
Thank you for the information

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 29-06-19, 08:03PM »
work every bank holiday you can. take the extra money. use holiday on a day of normal pay.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 29-06-19, 10:52PM »
A lot of the companies "expectations" aren't company expectations, but guiles by your manager to make him look like the top dog ping pong tiddly of the nuclear sub in terms of managerial performance. Best advice I can give you is to ignore all of what managers say regarding policy and read it yourself and enforce it, grievance process is your friend when coming across managers enforcing non-policies.

Hammer10

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 30-06-19, 02:34AM »
Why would you work bank hols no incentive anymore was ok to do them when double time but not now.Mugs if you work them.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 30-06-19, 08:15AM »
 8-) that depends on what holiday allowances you have, I would think people who aren't up to the 6 week allocation, would work less hours on a B/H and receive normal days pay, so not out of pocket, but gain a day to tag on to holiday entitlement. Plus if it's not your contracted day, you get few hours extra and get to keep your B/H allowance day.

Years back, you could work the B/H on double pay and bank your hours....so as I was never contracted for a Monday, I could work a full day, and bank the hours, so no extra tax and NI and I'd up with 8 weeks holiday a year. Can't think why they eventually stopped that option  ???
« Last Edit: 30-06-19, 08:21AM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 30-06-19, 08:31AM »
give you 3 good reasons why
1 you get paid 25% more for doing the same job
2 hardly any managers to bother you
3 if you work bank holidays tag all of them together, add whatever remainder in standard holiday entitlement to make a full week off, 1 week off is far mor beneficial to your health rather than odd days off
Why would you work bank hols no incentive anymore was ok to do them when double time but not now.Mugs if you work them.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 30-06-19, 10:55AM »
1. 25% extra pay is an insult, by agreeing to work for this pitiful enhancement, you're telling Tesco you're happy with the rate of this premium which suppresses bargaining power for future pay reviews.

2. In Express there are more managers to bother you (well shift leaders and most likely the SM) because Bank Holidays are busy trading days because most other places are shut (much like Sundays).

3. Is a fair enough point however and is probably the only reason anyone would work bank holidays (unless you're not contracted to it as a day, in which case, you'd just be working for the pittance of a premium.)
« Last Edit: 30-06-19, 10:58AM by NightAndDay »

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 30-06-19, 11:17AM »
If you're not contracted to the day, you get to keep your B/H allowance day and pay on top if you work it....if you don't work it, you use one B/H allowance day.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #12 on: 01-07-19, 07:20AM »
1. 25% extra pay is an insult, by agreeing to work for this pitiful enhancement, you're telling Tesco you're happy with the rate of this premium which suppresses bargaining power for future pay reviews.

2. In Express there are more managers to bother you (well shift leaders and most likely the SM) because Bank Holidays are busy trading days because most other places are shut (much like Sundays).

3. Is a fair enough point however and is probably the only reason anyone would work bank holidays (unless you're not contracted to it as a day, in which case, you'd just be working for the pittance of a premium.)

Interesting, I live and work in the north of Scotland and we don't really have the smaller stores. The nearest to me is about 40 miles away. We are all supermarkets and extras. The interesting bit is that we trade different hours as Scotland has different laws around this. The extra stores trade 24/7, only ever shuts on Christmas Day. The supermarkets have extended Sunday hours, mine is 0800-2200 on Sunday's and add an hour to either side of that for the rest of the wk.
To us the bank holidays make little difference, it's just another day. We trade the same hours and people are either off as in booked or in, there is no big thing to cover shifts. Most prefer to work and build up bh days to put towards a week off. The attitude is completely different and people like whole weeks off using bh days.
The difference in attitude is interesting but we live in a democracy. I just think people should have the right to decide what they want to do but then should honour what they say, as in refusing to work Boxing Day as prefer to keep Christmas special but then go shopping. Boxing Day shopping is a success for the stores and a lot of the people shopping are the colleague who refuse to work, and refuse on principal to keep Christmas special. I just think that if its that special, stay at home and keep it special, don't come shopping.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 01-07-19, 11:03AM »
I agree with you apart from the Boxing Day availability. If people don't want to work Boxing Day, and then choose to come in to shop is down to them...colleagues choose to shop instore during their holiday leave, days off throughout the year, but wouldn't be judged for that? The sales start nearly everywhere Boxing Day, to some it's as big a tradition as Christmas.

Everyone is different, and to curtail the Christmas Day festivities, so as fit for work the next day is not to everyone's taste. In Scotland, the Hogmanay celebrations are more important, so is the New Year's Day opening hours difficult to get cover for??
« Last Edit: 01-07-19, 11:07AM by lucgeo »

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 01-07-19, 10:26PM »
We tend to get by, the people with young children tend to prefer Christmas off and the rest tend to prefer new year. I don't think there is a business case to open on 1st Jan, it's dead. if not in an extra it's quiet after Christmas for a few days then as busy as Christmas, often more so for the 30th and 31st, it's just party shopping so different to Christmas. It is then dead again for a few days.
No great difference to shopping trends for other BH, Easter is bigger in Scotland than it used to be but a blip compared to Christmas.
In the store I work in we hardly know it's a bank holiday. I feels like just another day. Most monday contracted colleagues opt to work but not all. If not working, for me it's just another day but I much prefer to work a sat and sun as I love the days off in the week when it's quiet and I can be home to wait in for a parcel, book a workman to do a job, pop into town when it's not busy or just stay home. Snap for bh but as we are not all the same there is not a right answer. If we were all the same we would only sell limited lines and then only one of them, we like different things.