Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:18AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60688
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Non food stock control  (Read 4248 times)

Kenb92

• VLH Supporter
Non food stock control
« on: 28-06-19, 01:44PM »
Hi everyone

I currently work on checkouts the evening shifts 6pm- 12am Friday Saturday and mondays. Ive asked my manager twice on two different occasions if i can change my shifts to morning because two colleagues that worked the morning shifts have left . Both times my request was declined. I understand why my request was declined because we are very short staffed on the evenings.
A job offer in store has just come up for a non food stock controller same days as mine but 8am-12pm in the mornings. Can anyone that does non food stock control explains to me what a non food stock controller does?. I neex to know before i apply so i know this is the right decision for me.
If anyone can help me ill be extremely grateful.
Thanks

Tommo1961

Re: Non food stock control
« Reply #1 on: 28-06-19, 02:53PM »
Go for it. You will never be bored.  Scan gaps on pda, print reports, look for gaps put out stock.  Do scheduled counts.  You need to be thorough. If your not don’t bother as you will work on your own a lot. 

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 28-06-19, 07:45PM »
Will also do a lot of osi (working out why we have excess stock), in addition to the tasks above.

Unsure of your knowledge of shrink (unknown loss) but if completed badly a lot of your daily work could generate huge losses if not given 100% effort.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #3 on: 28-06-19, 08:48PM »
If you're trained properly then you'll enjoy it, but I seriously doubt you'll ever get to do the job uninterrupted, especially as you're coming from checkouts. The job has time restraints, or a window, for routines to be completed by, but you could do the gap scan, which creates a printed report for you to look for missing stock that should be on the shelf....but then you get called to checkout, and could be stuck there, on and off, for the rest of your shift, or helping other depts...then you don't get to look for the missing stock, which creates book stocks and shrink, and of course there's nobody to help you as nobody knows how to do your job as they've not been trained.

It's a much more interesting job than checkouts, can be heavy at times moving stock round in the warehouse, locating and filling the shelves. But it's varied, and the time goes quick, plus you're not so one to one, smiley smiley continuously talking to each customer and being monitored on put throughs, one in front, breaks etc....
« Last Edit: 28-06-19, 08:49PM by lucgeo »
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

kaled78

• Know All
« Reply #4 on: 28-06-19, 09:05PM »
obviously you have good non food stock controllers in your stores,ours don't find stock or fill as "it's not my job",they just print off a list of instore out of stocks and give it to the grocery manager to find

Samantha

« Reply #5 on: 29-06-19, 07:09AM »
Good morning,
Just a quick question to the stock controllers, what’s the code number for the whole tub of olives please?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #6 on: 29-06-19, 07:23AM »
Enter it on product enquiry on your PDA all details come up including the EAN / TPN code.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: 29-06-19, 07:37AM »
Thanks very much!!

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #8 on: 29-06-19, 08:51AM »
obviously you have good non food stock controllers in your stores,ours don't find stock or fill as "it's not my job",they just print off a list of instore out of stocks and give it to the grocery manager to find

The grocery manager should be showing them their job description sheet. Some stores put the stock they find, on a cage for the dept to put out as "it's not their job". Some put out the stock but leave the high value, on a cage in the lock up for the dept to tag and put out, as "it's not their job" which on a restricted fill could only be one or two products. We used to fill all found stock onto the shelves, including high value tagging and putting out.

Of course this could all have changed with the new stockies coming in on less hours, but I would still think looking at the job description sheet would be helpful, so that everyone knows what's expected, and the manager can argue that they need to be ring fenced from support calls, to enable them to complete their routines, so it doesn't affect availability for dot com, or result in book stock errors, shrink and the need for treasure hunting.
« Last Edit: 29-06-19, 08:55AM by lucgeo »

Kenb92

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #9 on: 29-06-19, 12:39PM »
Thank you all for your help. I will definitely apply. Its seems like a interesting role. Im very thorough the only thing that worries me is maybe not been able to finish in time because of all the interruptions like someone said above

spacerman

« Reply #10 on: 29-06-19, 01:33PM »
If you don't finish you don't finish, if you are working to the best of you abilities and something outside your control stopped you that's up to your manager to get it completed.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 29-06-19, 04:20PM »
Kenb92

Don't let me put you off by worrying about finishing your routines.......if they keep pulling you for checkout/ dept support just note it down every day and for how long...then hand over to manager end of shift, what you couldn't complete for them to pick up..they'll be well aware how long you've been pulled off your dept for...let them have it out with the other managers, end of shift you go home, they get paid more to sort c**p out.

Lunamoonhare

« Reply #12 on: 29-06-19, 07:52PM »
Just tell checkouts you can’t help if they ask. There should be staff from other departments on replenishment that can hop on a till. I only get asked if they are absolutely desperate and everyone else has already jumped on.

You will need to manage time effectively, be thorough and accurate in stock control. I like that there is less customer interaction, you are kept busy, can move around the store and manage your own workload and breaks etc.

LionHeart

« Reply #13 on: 29-06-19, 09:20PM »
Thank you all for your help. I will definitely apply. Its seems like a interesting role. Im very thorough the only thing that worries me is maybe not been able to finish in time because of all the interruptions like someone said above

I say go for it, you’ll find it different to what you do now, not stuck in one place. Get to use your brain differently too. Stock control has changed a lot since the new structure change & routines, it feels a lot more like, if it’s ready for routines, you do them, if the department is not ready, then you don’t.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #14 on: 30-06-19, 11:23AM »
Pity they didn't use that strategy before  8-). It would have saved a great deal of time and money on bookstock errors and OSI's....and not filled the warehouse with stock coming in to disappear into the dark recesses waiting to be wiped off again!

Samantha

« Reply #15 on: 04-09-19, 06:29AM »
Good morning,
Just a quick question, when is the next stock take please?
Thank you.

RandomJim

« Reply #16 on: 04-09-19, 08:44AM »
It’s different for every store but they’re usually every 26 weeks.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 04-09-19, 12:04PM »
I'm on holiday next stock take and so is my manager........bleating I'm the only experienced stockie haha you stupid twats shouldn't have been keen to decimate the department in May then.f*** the lot of them reap what you sew.

whatajoke2019

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #18 on: 04-09-19, 03:50PM »
I'd also say go for the job too.

I work a couple of nights a week but will be picking up overtime on Stock Control when it's there; there's something in my twisted mind that's quite satisfying about adding/removing gaps when a manager, of all people, is too busy cutting corners and not doing a four point check  ;D