Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
05-12-19, 10:25PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62726
  • Total Topics: 1103
  • Online Today: 180
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 121
Total: 126

Author Topic: Pregnancy related sickness  (Read 2438 times)

Sandman

• VLH Supporter
Pregnancy related sickness
« on: 28-06-19, 09:21AM »
My girlfriend had a week off work with a pregnancy related illness, our manager told her that her sick waiting days are still applied like normal sick. Having read the maternity pack it says the waiting days don’t apply, so should she have received the full 5 days pay and not just 2? Can someone advice please?
« Last Edit: 28-06-19, 09:23AM by Sandman »

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
Re: Pregnancy related sickness
« Reply #1 on: 28-06-19, 10:25AM »
Get her to point out the policy to the SM showing that the 3 waiting days don't apply and that she is entitled as per company policy for full sick pay, if he pushes back raise a greivance, as buddy-buddy SM's and the PMs are, PMs have to follow policy as per code of business conduct which means upholding grievances where the SM has clearly not followed companies people policies.
« Last Edit: 28-06-19, 10:26AM by NightAndDay »

Watcher

« Reply #2 on: 28-06-19, 10:37AM »
3 days does not apply to pregnancy related sick.the wages clerk should have sent off to have the three days reinstated .

Sandman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 28-06-19, 12:21PM »
Thnx for your replies. When she said it was pregnancy related sickness   Her manager told her the they checked and is classified as normal sick, and union rep didn’t seem to know either way.  :-X

• Regular Pain
« Reply #4 on: 28-06-19, 01:46PM »
Pregnancy related sickness is payable from Day 1, the only proviso is that she has enough sick day entitlement remaining to cover the time off. It is coded as sickness on the HRAM system and then the relevant form is sent off to Payroll to authorise the payment from Day 1.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 28-06-19, 02:07PM »
Thnx for your replies. When she said it was pregnancy related sickness   Her manager told her the they checked and is classified as normal sick, and union rep didn’t seem to know either way.  :-X

You then need to show the policy to the manager, that in black and white, your type of sickness is exempt from the 3 day waiting period, if he still tries to fob you off, the tesco policy team has an email address that you can use to verify your situation with the policy, if they verify that you're in the right and your manager is in the wrong, you can then take copies (or a photograph) of the verification email from the Tesco policy team to show to your manager, if he then still refuses and tries to fob you off, you can then raise a grievance, for the Personnel Manager to ensure that Tesco are fulfilling their obligations for duty of care and to prevent a case of constructive dismissal, he/she'll have no choice but to uphold the grievance and force the manager to pay you for the 3 waiting days.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 28-06-19, 04:23PM »
Just wanted to check that she had previously informed them she was pregnant and had all relevant paperwork etc in . Don't know if that makes a difference .

DairyLee

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 28-06-19, 05:21PM »
Need to make sure it was pregnancy related sickness and not sick while pregnant to get the 3 days pay paid.
Slipping and spraining your wrist so you can't work on the checkouts isn't pregnancy related so even if pregnant would not be paid.

Sandman

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 28-06-19, 06:51PM »
Yes, over 10 weeks of sick pay in the bank, Manager was informed and it was pregnancy related sickness which was put in the notes as well.
Thank you all - she will be asking for backpay

genome

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #9 on: 28-06-19, 08:00PM »
Quote from: OurTesco

https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/people-policies/family/maternity/print-full-maternity-guide-take-away/

youre-having-a-baby-guide-v7-dec18.pdf (bottom file)

Quote from: page 12/13
Pregnancy related reasons.
If you fall unwell due to pregnancy related reasons, this absence won’t count towards
any formal absence management. You might need to attend a risk assessment or
informal meeting to discuss your absence. Here, you can identify any problems which
affect your ability to do your job, and any appropriate support or adjustments
needed. In some cases you might be asked to provide evidence of the reason for your
absence.

Normal company sick pay rules apply to pregnancy related absence, however the
three day waiting period will not.

Quote from: OurTesco
https://www.ourtesco.com/working-at-tesco/people-policies/time-work/sickness-absence/

Sickness Absence Policy (bottom file)

Quote from: Section 33
33. What happens if my absence is pregnancy related?
Pregnancy related absences won’t count towards any formal absence management, however you might need to attend risk assessment/informal meetings to discuss your absence and identify any issues which impact your ability to do your job, and to identify any appropriate support or adjustments that are needed. In some cases you might be asked to provide evidence of the reason for your absence.
Where the absence is not linked to the pregnancy, for example, a broken arm, the normal sickness absence process will apply.

Normal Company Sick Pay rules apply to pregnancy related absence. As per the Maternity Policy, the three day waiting period does not apply to you if you are off work due to pregnancy-related illness.

Theres the actual policy files to stick in your %$!& managers face. Both state it quite explicitly, and they should be more than familiar with these policies.

genome

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 28-06-19, 08:11PM »
Her manager told her the they checked and is classified as normal sick, and union rep didn’t seem to know either way.

clearly the manager lied and the rep needs to go read the policy themselves. i found it in all of 3 minutes and i'm half asleep sitting on the sofa.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #11 on: 28-06-19, 09:45PM »
Yes, over 10 weeks of sick pay in the bank, Manager was informed and it was pregnancy related sickness which was put in the notes as well.
Thank you all - she will be asking for backpay

As it's documented as pregnancy related sickness, your manager needs to adhere to policy, if he doesn't comply, go down the grievance route.

takethemoneyandrun

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #12 on: 03-07-19, 10:30AM »
There are actually some horror stores out there
 :o :o :o

RayofSunshine

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 03-07-19, 11:35AM »

You then need to show the policy to the manager, that in black and white, your type of sickness is exempt from the 3 day waiting period, if he still tries to fob you off, the tesco policy team has an email address that you can use to verify your situation with the policy, if they verify that you're in the right and your manager is in the wrong, you can then take copies (or a photograph) of the verification email from the Tesco policy team to show to your manager, if he then still refuses and tries to fob you off, you can then raise a grievance, for the Personnel Manager to ensure that Tesco are fulfilling their obligations for duty of care and to prevent a case of constructive dismissal, he/she'll have no choice but to uphold the grievance and force the manager to pay you for the 3 waiting days.

Where can I find the email address for the tesco policy team?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 03-07-19, 12:35PM »
It was 3 years ago when I emailed the policy team, I think I found the email address in the old staff handbook (I think they replaced it with OurTesco) so it might not exist anymore. I would suggest getting your personnel manager to confirm the policy or to get you the contact information for the policy team (if they still exist), and then follow through with what I said in my quoted comment.