Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-10-19, 12:21AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 61624
  • Total Topics: 1082
  • Online Today: 129
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 125
Total: 130

Author Topic: Pay differences at Tesco  (Read 16119 times)

Siwel123

Re: Pay differences at Tesco
« Reply #50 on: 01-08-19, 12:11PM »
Where did you get all that information from Siwel123?  Just makes me think of all the times we've not obeyed these rules.  If we did do all those checks, we would never get anything done and complete chaos would follow.  I authorize blind all the time, we all do, we have to.

Absolutely i do the same as you buddy, this is from the health and safety executive guide to petrol workers and owners on the proper rpocedures they must follow to not be in breach of health and safety law

Penny

• alice
« Reply #51 on: 01-08-19, 02:00PM »
I’m just interested. All those procedures we have to follow in pfs re arming pumps. How do they get round that when we close and it’s pay at pump only?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #52 on: 01-08-19, 02:33PM »
I'm fairly certain there has to be oversite in distributing fuel, arming the pumps implies oversite and responsibility to whoever armed the pump.

I worked in a 24 hour esso alliance express store so didn't have the pay at pump technologies, though I'm fairly certain someone has to be there, even if the store area is shut, to arm the pumps and distribute the fuel, for legal and governance reasons if nothing else.

Trystan1988

« Reply #53 on: 01-08-19, 02:41PM »
That's the thing, there are Pay @ Pump only stations now in the portfolio, and in my store we always have 4 pumps open overnight except days where the store itself is empty.

All they need is people in the store to help, and they could change every PFS to pay@pump only.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #54 on: 01-08-19, 03:35PM »
The issue with that is, if there is no oversite on fuel distribution (because there is no staff) Tesco would be liable for crimes such as underaged people using the pumps, improper containers used to store the fuel, vandalism of the pumps and environmental damage caused by the person using the pump.

Penny

• alice
« Reply #55 on: 01-08-19, 03:52PM »
Thanks for replies. I know there are now several stand alone Tesco pay at pump only sites with no kiosk. Wouldn’t be surprised if they role it out nationwide. Gets rid of a lot of staff!

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #56 on: 01-08-19, 04:35PM »
You need a license to sell fuel much the same as alcohol , any store that is unmanned either permanently or overnight has a different license to manned store .so obviously there  are certain safeguards in place to get an  unmanned license.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #57 on: 01-08-19, 04:49PM »
It doesn't solve the issue of monitoring who the fuel is being distributed to. As rare an occurence illegal distribution would be, it's still something a responsible company like Tesco should provision for to mitigate risk of occurrence.
« Last Edit: 01-08-19, 04:50PM by NightAndDay »

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #58 on: 01-08-19, 05:30PM »
If they are allowed to do it then they are allowed to do it doesn’t really matter what your thoughts are?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #59 on: 01-08-19, 07:23PM »
Illegal would imply not allowed to do it, this isn't what I think, this is me questioning how Tesco is exercising due dilligence in ensuring the legal sale of fuel at unmanned pumps.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #60 on: 01-08-19, 07:48PM »
Many companies have unmanned fuel sites , obviously whoever decides who gets a license has done risk assessments etc

Dougall

• Regular Pain
« Reply #61 on: 01-08-19, 08:22PM »
Same as others do, like I get mine at Asda unmanned

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #62 on: 02-08-19, 08:26AM »
Nobody wants to think that other roles deserve more money than our own. Dismissing what other do just clouds the water and encourages resentment. To change things you need to put a strong case forward through the forum, if enough stores do this within group and then company it had to be looked at. If you feel that strongly about it you need to do it. Until you walk in another's shoes you have no idea hat they have to do, and you need to know full job and not just cover for a day.
If a CSD came up in your store with the exact hours that would suit you, would you apply? If not why not? What is it about your PFS job that would keep you from applying and what is it about the CSD that you would not like?
It's not the fault of the colleagues on the CSD that they have premium pay, it has been decided for them. If it was you, would you turn round and say that you want to refuse the extra pay as you think others jobs are just as hard/stressful, I doubt it.
Wages get higher pay, admin is being looked at.

jimos87

« Reply #63 on: 02-08-19, 12:30PM »
Well you can end up being prosecuted and lose your job if you sell age restricted goods to underage customers, on checkouts, so there's another comparison to take into account.

So can checkout staff , you have no extra responsibilities than a checkout operator or shop floor assistant.

jimos87

« Reply #64 on: 02-08-19, 12:31PM »
What work do you do that can send you to jail for 5 years for not doing it right then? I would just love to know

What work do you do that can send you to jail for 5 years?  Everyone makes mistakes, I shouldn't think you'd get much of a punishment for making a mistake, we all make them but if you deliberately committed a crime, then that's a different story.  You may well get a heavy sentence for fraud or money laundering and the like but not if you're incompetent.

Do you have any idea what it's like to work in the PFS, all the things we have to do, all the responsibility?   It's, very, very unfair that CSD get more than PFS.

Tipping off, failing to complete SAR . Discussing details of SAR with any person. The very parts which you don't do in the filling station .  We also have to deal with the complaints that the filling stations create including correcting the mistakes made in the filling station .

jimos87

« Reply #65 on: 02-08-19, 12:40PM »
You're quite right Teddybonkers, it's only a small amount, so in the interests of equality, let's ask the CSD to take a pay cut and bring them in line with other staff.  They won't mind, after all, "the difference is not enough to pay most people's council tax for the year."

I work in the PFS, I think we deserve the same pay as CSD, if not more because of the work we do the conditions we work in.  I can't speak for other departments in the store because I have no experience of them,

What work do you do that can send you to jail for 5 years for not doing it right then? I would just love to know

If you arm the pump when someone has a lit cigarette you can be imprisoned for life under terrorism charges. Fuel site is infinitely more risky than CSD.

It may be illegal to smoke in a forecourt but it does not fall part of anti terror legislation , it falls under health and safety legislation

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #66 on: 03-08-19, 07:33AM »
I'm sorry Jimos87, you have completely failed to convince me that CSD deserve better pay than PFS.  You should have been in our place yesterday morning and seen just what we had to deal with, I think you'd change your mind. 

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #67 on: 03-08-19, 04:15PM »
 8-) 8-) :D :D :D :D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

genome

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #68 on: 03-08-19, 04:38PM »
CSD premium is due to accountability with moneygram / bank processes

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #69 on: 04-08-19, 08:40AM »
Thank you genome, yes we know what the stated reason is.  However, it's not like the PFS have no accountability or responsibility for anything at all now is it?  If you read through the thread, you'll see that this has been discussed in detail. 

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #70 on: 04-08-19, 09:37AM »
This thread has just turned into one big argument. Get over it everyone, you get paid what you get paid, end of.

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #71 on: 04-08-19, 09:45AM »
It's also not an argument that can be won on here. CSD colleagues don't have to justify what they get, no point as it is what it is.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #72 on: 04-08-19, 10:34AM »
The bigger point is that any increase won by one group will have to paid for by some or all of the others. I'm sure most people want to earn more however the pay rates were clearly advertised before you started and you accepted a role on those rates. If you want to earn more transfer into a higher paid role or develop.

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #73 on: 04-08-19, 10:41AM »
Meh. I do more real work in a day than anyone in CSD manages in a week. We had one CSD employee who, in less enlightened times, would have been called a, "Spastic". He couldn't even walk right, never mind lift anything heavy. Watching that man trying to walk fast was a sure-fire cure for the Blues, I can assure you. ;D

That said, I don't really care if CSD gets more money than me. Not least because most of our CSD are part-timers anyway, so I still make more than them week to week. But also because it's a pain in the bum dealing with whiny customers occasionally while working on the shop floor. I'd hate to do it every day as a major part of my job. Indeed, if we're getting moaned at by a customer, we'll often dump them on CSD to deal with. ;)
« Last Edit: 04-08-19, 10:43AM by VladPutin »

VladPutin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #74 on: 04-08-19, 10:46AM »

Hi Welshie, thanks for the reply.  I just do not understand why the union aren't on this. 
Are you as demoralized in your store as we are in ours?  We have very poor equipment, frustrations and stress levels are at breaking point and this issue just rubs salt in the wounds.

Did you join Tesco last month?! USDAW are completely spineless and worthless. They will bend over and grab their ankles for the company every time. They're about as reliable as politicians or police officers. 8-)