Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:15AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60688
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Uniform, Let's talk.  (Read 11488 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Re: Uniform, Let's talk.
« Reply #25 on: 18-06-19, 11:29PM »
I've got full uniform on tonight. A few others haven't though but nothing has been said. That was my issue. This place is messed up. 2 of us got a let's talk a few weeks back for being too chatty,1 guy got one for basically not being chatty enough.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #26 on: 19-06-19, 12:49AM »
How do you know nothing has been said to others not wearing correct uniform, if you can prove that only yourself and one other person has been pulled up over it you would be well within your rights to take it further but the likely result will be the store clamps down on all staff when it comes to uniform.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

ElderEnclave

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #27 on: 03-08-19, 11:47AM »
I still don't understand this thread.

Was it a t-shirt part of our uniform? or not.

If it's not then that's the problem you have to wear the uniform supplied if you're working. if you're not working or you've finished then wear what you want outside of the store / company.

If we all start wearing non uniform at work then it makes the company and yourself look bad. I would be worse if the area manager came and had a go at your manager for you being in your own clothes.

smithers

« Reply #28 on: 03-08-19, 12:10PM »
I've got full uniform on tonight. A few others haven't though but nothing has been said. That was my issue. This place is messed up. 2 of us got a let's talk a few weeks back for being too chatty,1 guy got one for basically not being chatty enough.
Don't really get this...do you mean he didn't talk to customers?
« Last Edit: 03-08-19, 12:12PM by smithers »

spacerman

« Reply #29 on: 03-08-19, 03:40PM »
Welcome to favoritism at work, in Tesco if you turn around and say well Jimmy and Sandra are not wearing their uniform the manager will either ignore it, or pull them citing you as the source of the complaint.

almostlost

• Know All
« Reply #30 on: 03-08-19, 05:02PM »
Unless I missed it, you haven't actually said why you weren't wearing correct uniform in the first place ?

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #31 on: 03-08-19, 05:14PM »
In our DotCom at the moment the biggest problem is Hi viz. There is only about 40% who wear it in the yard and our driver manager isn't one of them! Not even duty managers bother putting them on when they can't find an excuse not to come and see us. It's not much better percentage wise when drivers are out and about delivering either but any comment about it or the fact many are wearing trainers rather than any sort of safety footware are treated as you are being negative.
« Last Edit: 03-08-19, 05:16PM by helpme »

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #32 on: 03-08-19, 06:55PM »
Co-workers in my store are issued with uniform and then just wear as they want. The managers don't give a toss.  If they want to pull you they will. They have pulled me before for turning up to shift.  At least sitting in the office pretending you can't read saves the knees and back ache.

Batmanjo

« Reply #33 on: 04-08-19, 12:39AM »

I have 3 "let's chat" at the moment and everyone I have refused to chat and requested a rep for them, yet they just don't listen and write what they want still asking me questions, then when I get a rep in........ I still refuse to chat they just don't know what to do ?????? all a waste of time I guess but who's time it is ? I'm sure there will be more let's talk but if they keep this up these let's talk by the end of the month I will be able to wipe my ar*e for the rest of the year for free............bring it on stay strong people and play the game.

madness

• Smart Arse
« Reply #34 on: 04-08-19, 10:37AM »
or you know just do the job you are paid for...

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #35 on: 04-08-19, 02:07PM »
I really do not see what the problem is with wearing the free uniform that you are given by our company.

In my dept I keep it extremely simple, so simple even my staff can understand it. If you do not come to work looking smart, in the correct uniform, clean and pressed, with appropriate footwear you go home - without pay - until such time as you can be bothered to do so.

When I am running the store I insist on same standards for every staff member and manager.

I usually shop in a store closer to home and I used to get so sick of seeing Tesco staff looking so slovenly that I would request to see the duty manager and walk him or her around pointing out how scruffy his staff were.

You have a job, and that comes with responsibilities. One of which is to look the part.

It's not difficult.

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #36 on: 04-08-19, 03:37PM »
I would agree with the above on one proviso, that is if no uniform is available then one is sent home on full pay.  Goose-gander  :)
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #37 on: 04-08-19, 04:45PM »
Problem is Tesco policy says you cannot send someone home for not wearing the correct uniform anymore. You would need to ask the person why they are not in correct uniform and then consider a move to a formal investigation under misconduct if no reasonable explanation was given.

Before anyone jumps on me I would point out not all issues with uniform need formal investigation meetings, usually a chat and or a let’s talk suffice.

Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

« Reply #38 on: 04-08-19, 06:05PM »
I really do not see what the problem is with wearing the free uniform that you are given by our company.

In my dept I keep it extremely simple, so simple even my staff can understand it. If you do not come to work looking smart, in the correct uniform, clean and pressed, with appropriate footwear you go home - without pay - until such time as you can be bothered to do so.

When I am running the store I insist on same standards for every staff member and manager.

I usually shop in a store closer to home and I used to get so sick of seeing Tesco staff looking so slovenly that I would request to see the duty manager and walk him or her around pointing out how scruffy his staff were.

You have a job, and that comes with responsibilities. One of which is to look the part.

you sound like a bell, why go into another store and speak to the manager about their uniform. it's not your store and not your problem, let them worry about it. i had a manager from dotcom call me out once for black trousers, i told him to worry about his own staff because over 40% wear black trousers and trainers then walked away while he was still trying to talk to me.

for the record, as far as I know black trousers and black trainers are acceptable and quite a few colleagues at the store i work at have been called out on it, only for them to show them that that can actually wear it.

It's not difficult.

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #39 on: 04-08-19, 07:17PM »
It is not hard wear a combination of the clothing Tesco provide. In my store the non Tesco issue denims and combats are creeping in.   Pressed trousers, shirt and waistcoat maybe suitable for posing about the checkouts. However I am sure the customers would accept an unpressed polo and combats with white marks/holes at the knees as the trend for roles like shelf filling. Jackets should be worn at all times and waistcoats when playing snooker.

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #40 on: 04-08-19, 08:55PM »
Problem is Tesco policy says you cannot send someone home for not wearing the correct uniform anymore. You would need to ask the person why they are not in correct uniform and then consider a move to a formal investigation under misconduct if no reasonable explanation was given.

Before anyone jumps on me I would point out not all issues with uniform need formal investigation meetings, usually a chat and or a let’s talk suffice.

I haven't had to send anyone home for a good while now as word got around that my standards were not to be messed with and my staff now always turn up to work dressed for action.

Given that uniform is provided free of charge I brook no excuses, indeed these days it is well known in my store that I take no prisoners where standards are concerned. The thing that nailed it for me was when I refused to endorse one lads application to transfer to a store nearer his home as he had a history of abusing his uniform privileges.

He was gutted of course but as I explained to him, if you dont meet my standards, you wont be transferring anywhere as transferees are , by extension, a reflection of my standards and I have worked hard over the years to build my reputation.

It's like the old "broken windows" scenario in New York city in the 80/90's. If you let the little things go, staff start to think they can let other things go as well.

Not on my watch.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #41 on: 04-08-19, 10:07PM »
you sound like a bigger c*nt than lewis!!!

Cleaner1

• Regular Pain
« Reply #42 on: 04-08-19, 10:24PM »

I haven't had to send anyone home for a good while now as word got around that my standards were not to be messed with and my staff now always turn up to work dressed for action.

Given that uniform is provided free of charge I brook no excuses, indeed these days it is well known in my store that I take no prisoners where standards are concerned. The thing that nailed it for me was when I refused to endorse one lads application to transfer to a store nearer his home as he had a history of abusing his uniform privileges.

He was gutted of course but as I explained to him, if you dont meet my standards, you wont be transferring anywhere as transferees are , by extension, a reflection of my standards and I have worked hard over the years to build my reputation.

It's like the old "broken windows" scenario in New York city in the 80/90's. If you let the little things go, staff start to think they can let other things go as well.

Not on my watch.

You'll end up with more than broken windows if you speak as you write.

ElderEnclave

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #43 on: 04-08-19, 11:08PM »

It's not difficult.

Quite everyone in the store I work in always wear their uniform it's part of our job to look smart, serve our customers and represent the company we work for. We all have banter, have a good time and enjoy working. However saying that we're an Express. But I was trained in a Metro and they had the same enthusiasm.

If we all do our part look smart, do our job and enjoy it the day goes faster and we are all happy. That goes onto our customers even ones who have a tantrum we smile if needed and apologies (even when it's not our fault) and we move onto the next customer.

King1999

• Regular Pain
« Reply #44 on: 04-08-19, 11:14PM »
Uniform is uniform there’s bigger issues in the company......someone with a god complex might be one of them.......that’s something I would want sorting out .

Nowanexmgr

• Regular Pain
« Reply #45 on: 04-08-19, 11:57PM »

Not on my watch.

You'll end up with more than broken windows if you speak as you write.

Brilliant.

Sadly, I've had similar threats made to me before (albeit by one particular lad who at least was courageous enough to do it to my face). What was strange though was when I invited him to chat to me out of work and not on company property about his feelings he went a funny colour and stammered something about "only joking".  He always wore his uniform after that episode too, so my approach clearly worked, which was good.

It's not difficult to comprehend. Standards are standards. I lead, they follow.

Simple.

lackofinterest

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #46 on: 05-08-19, 12:27AM »
you sound as though you think you're something special. one day you'll upset the wrong person. don't forget people can easily find out where you live and there's some meaner people than you out there. you sound nothing more than an arrogant bully to me >:D

alf

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #47 on: 05-08-19, 06:29AM »
I mean the guy is obviously bullshitting.

It's his thing, he'll show up make a controversial comment related to the subject, he'll portray himself as the no-nonsense Tesco manager who's tough as nails and takes no s***, and he'll continue to tell us how he handled a situation (related to the subject) using his tough but fair approach.

Essentially the man thinks he's the dirty harry of the Tesco management world.

forrestgimp

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
  • Cant wait to retire when I am 110
« Reply #48 on: 05-08-19, 07:28AM »

you sound like a bell, why go into another store and speak to the manager about their uniform. it's not your store and not your problem, let them worry about it. i had a manager from dotcom call me out once for black trousers, i told him to worry about his own staff because over 40% wear black trousers and trainers then walked away while he was still trying to talk to me.

for the record, as far as I know black trousers and black trainers are acceptable and quite a few colleagues at the store i work at have been called out on it, only for them to show them that that can actually wear it.

It's not difficult.

If that is the case then policy will reflect that, can you point the OP in the right direction to find it as that would probably help them no end.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #49 on: 05-08-19, 07:31AM »

Not on my watch.

I take it this lad had personal reasons not Tesco related for transferring? If you refused it just on uniform issues, then you're not managing properly, reputation doesn't effect anything at Tesco, by not treating others how you want to be treated you're not acting on Tescos core values.

The way you speak about ca's being extremely simple minded is also indicative of you not getting the most out of your staff. You may claim to be gods gift to managers, but by acting in the way you describe, you're everything Tesco doesn't want in their managers.

« Last Edit: 05-08-19, 07:32AM by NightAndDay »