Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-09-19, 09:50AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60689
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Uniform, Let's talk.  (Read 11490 times)

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
Uniform, Let's talk.
« on: 18-06-19, 07:42AM »
Hi guys,both me and a colleague have had a let's talk today. Today's was about not wearing correct uniform,we had blue shirts on under our jackets and NOT once could they be seen on the shop floor. To be honest this manager hates us,you can just tell. I didn't sign it though, is there any way I can have it removed from my file? If not I'm going to put a grievance in. Not just for this but other stuff too

Overworked1

• Know All
Re: Uniform, Let's talk.
« Reply #1 on: 18-06-19, 08:04AM »
You had a Let’s Talk for what.  ;D

All this talk just goes to prove there is structure changes needed.

Our TMs are as pathetic as this at times too. They must have no work to do.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 18-06-19, 08:23AM »
Overworked do you hate all managers that much that you can't read the post ?? It says because of uniform !

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #3 on: 18-06-19, 08:43AM »
Welshie, no there are a few who know what they are doing.  What is wrong with blue shirt was it not a Tesco issue?

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #4 on: 18-06-19, 08:48AM »
Hi guys,both me and a colleague have had a let's talk today. Today's was about not wearing correct uniform,we had blue shirts on under our jackets and NOT once could they be seen on the shop floor. To be honest this manager hates us,you can just tell. I didn't sign it though, is there any way I can have it removed from my file? If not I'm going to put a grievance in. Not just for this but other stuff too

You can't have things removed from your file, but you can have things added to it, e.g. A covering letter to state that the findings were incorrect, or grievanced and won etc....
A uniform is provided and you are expected to wear the correct uniform at all times whilst in work....unless for some reason part of the uniform has become unacceptably worn or damaged, and you are waiting on a replacement. It would seem petty to bring this up at a lets talk, if it was a one off, unless you have been told previously about not wearing the correct uniform.
You can also ask the manager for a lets talk, at any time, if you feel that you are continuously being singled out for unfair criticism.
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #5 on: 18-06-19, 08:49AM »
If you're wearing a tesco shirt over your blue shirt, you'd be fine, if it's literally a tesco jacket over a non tesco shirt, then that is disciplinable.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #6 on: 18-06-19, 08:49AM »
@ overworked  Well obviously it was for uniform issues , it's hard to take your objections seriously when every post you make seems to be about how awful all managers are !

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #7 on: 18-06-19, 08:53AM »
 ;D right then

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 18-06-19, 09:39AM »
If you're wearing a tesco shirt over your blue shirt, you'd be fine, if it's literally a tesco jacket over a non tesco shirt, then that is disciplinable.
it was under my jacket,the only time it was at all visible was in the staff canteen, I never unzip my jacket or take it off. I think the guy is just being petty to be honest. It's clear he wants me out

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #9 on: 18-06-19, 09:52AM »
Is it that hard to wear the uniform you are supplied with ? We're not school kids , it's not cool to break the uniform policy ! We are generally given enough uniform . If you're so convinced the manager is out to get you , why give him/her an extra reason ?

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #10 on: 18-06-19, 10:24AM »
it was under my jacket,the only time it was at all visible was in the staff canteen, I never unzip my jacket or take it off. I think the guy is just being petty to be honest. It's clear he wants me out

Did the manager that gave you a lets talk see your shirt when it was visible in the canteen?, if not, that means others would be able to see it, if he did, then even if he's being petty, best just wear a tesco shirt over your non-uniform shirts next time (if you need to wear a non-uniform shirt that is).

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #11 on: 18-06-19, 10:51AM »
Not sure what the difference is between covering an undershirt / T-shirt / vest / whatever with a uniform shirt or a uniform jacket? to be honest I often run out of uniform shirts when I have been asked to do a number of extra shifts and end up wearing a non-uniform blue polo where the non-uniform logo on the chest is covered by my dot-com hi-viz.  I have one non-uniform polo which I cannot wear like that as it has a non-uniform logo on the sleeve which does not get concealed.  Sometimes if it is too warm for a jacket but too cold for bare arms I wear a non-uniform long-sleeve hi-viz cyclist rain-top under my hi-viz jacket.
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 18-06-19, 11:35AM »

It forms part of your contract to wear the uniform, that is why you receive tax relief for the laundering of the uniform. Really at a loss to understand why people choose to wear their own clothes to be ruined....I always refused dress up days etc....for the above reason and also H&S regs would be compromised for any claim if you were injured whilst wearing non uniform, and that it could be proven that the incorrect clothing attributed to causing the accident.  I have seen "the cool cats" arriving for dress up day, in designer clothes and footwear, totally inappropriate for their job role....totally overlooked by management for that day  ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #13 on: 18-06-19, 11:38AM »
So you were not wearing the correct uniform and are now moaning that management are taking action about it, are you being serious.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

captain

• Smart Arse
« Reply #14 on: 18-06-19, 12:43PM »
Uniform is part of your terms and conditions, would suspect managers would have spoken about noncompliance before BV a let's talk. Just comply then there is no issue

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #15 on: 18-06-19, 02:26PM »
Where do I order uniform skiddies?
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

WhateverTrever

« Reply #16 on: 18-06-19, 02:45PM »
In our store we only challenged the obvious uniform issues.. Then colleagues decided to bring it up in forum.. Which meant we had to drill down on uniform again.. Some people refused to wear the correct uniform.. So as it had been raised by the colleagues as an issue, lets talks had to follow.. Uniform by its name gives its nature.. I fail to understand why people have such an issue with it.. but where something is indistinguishable from the actual uniform.. I fail to see why other colleagues have an issue..
Still.. Uniform should be worn at all times when at work.. can be deemed as misconduct for breaching the uniform policy without due cause..
If any colleague inc. managers are singling you out.. speak with your USDAW rep to resolve it informally and then formally if still not resolved..
Not all managers are planks.. not all colleagues are perfect.. Everyone.. just need to chill out n do what their paid to do.. then go home.. Simples really..

Mark calloway

• VLH Supporter
  • Regular Pain
« Reply #17 on: 18-06-19, 03:57PM »
A let's talk for a t-shirt that wasn't visible, isn't that a bit petty? Part of my issue is that several others don't wear correct uniform, they haven't worn any kind of uniform since I started 7 yrs ago.  Isn't that hypocritical on the managers part?

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #18 on: 18-06-19, 04:12PM »
Why would you wear your own clothes to work anyway.

A lot of staff in my store have a problem wearing tesco trousers. Even after being told they had to wear uniform they still wear black trousers, chinos or skinny jeans. Some of the reasoning for not wearing the uniform is funny, like the combat trousers make my legs look skinny.

I do kind of wish they did t-shirts though as those polo tops are c**p.
« Last Edit: 18-06-19, 04:17PM by Preacherpauly »

Nomad

• Administrator
  • Sad Muppet
  • Who dares, wins.
« Reply #19 on: 18-06-19, 04:53PM »
It is hard to fathom or understand sometimes when you are 'picked on' for doing something wrong that others have been doing for years.
Nomad ( Forum Admin )
It's better to be up in arms than down on your knees.

penguin

• Sad Muppet
« Reply #20 on: 18-06-19, 07:03PM »
Why would you wear your own clothes to work anyway.

A lot of staff in my store have a problem wearing tesco trousers. Even after being told they had to wear uniform they still wear black trousers, chinos or skinny jeans. Some of the reasoning for not wearing the uniform is funny, like the combat trousers make my legs look skinny.

I do kind of wish they did t-shirts though as those polo tops are c**p.

How can anyone have a problem wearing a pair of trousers, and on the subject of uniform I would say thats the one area managers in our store are really chilled out about, I read a lot on here about some stores making all male staff wear formal uniform including ties, stores banning fleeces and only allowing jackets, nobody allowed to wear red uniform etc, none of that in our place, even some of the managers wear the so called casual uniform and nobody has ever said anything about it.
Tesco - the moden day word for workhouse

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #21 on: 18-06-19, 08:11PM »
There is a drive on standards of dress, it comes round time and again. I have worn several different uniforms during my time with the company and this is by far the best. The first one was awful and we did not even get new, you were asked your size and it came out of a cupboard, second or third hand. We were pulled up over the slightest thing. No trousers for women when I started, we had to wear a black skirt and white blouse (our own) under a a tunic top, in all weathers. One year the chocolate melted on the shelves and we still have to wear full uniform, they did let us off the neckerchief but that was all.
I also hate the dress down days, no pockets for pens etc. Customers don't know who the staff are. it might be fun sat at a desk in the Ivory towers but not so in stores. I do like the Christmas jumpers though, warm and comfy so not an issue.

nettie0036

« Reply #22 on: 18-06-19, 09:00PM »
Hi, can i ask what Lets talk should be used for?? returned to work today after 2 days emergency leave, i followed the correct notification process and i've been given a lets talk....is this the correct procedure?

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 18-06-19, 09:09PM »
Yes.  all non sickness related absence is managed through conduct.  You should still have received a return to work. 

Rad

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 18-06-19, 09:16PM »
A let's talk for a t-shirt that wasn't visible, isn't that a bit petty? Part of my issue is that several others don't wear correct uniform, they haven't worn any kind of uniform since I started 7 yrs ago.  Isn't that hypocritical on the managers part?

Yes it is.  Wear the correct uniform from now on and monitor the situation.  Ask him or his line manager the question. 

But wear your uniform.