Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
16-06-19, 12:15AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58254
  • Total Topics: 1022
  • Online Today: 115
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 111
Total: 117

Author Topic: May Day Early Spring Bank Holiday moved to VE Day Next Year  (Read 2442 times)

gomezz

• Global Moderator
  • Sad Muppet
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2020-may-bank-holiday-will-be-moved-to-mark-75th-anniversary-of-ve-day

This will affect colleagues who are contracted to work the Monday and those contracted to the Friday when it comes to their options for booking holiday or working them.

And it occurs to me that some clown at HO may start thinking that if it is OK to move other bank holidays around then why not use that as an argument for moving Christmas Day and Boxing Day too.   8-)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
It all ready happens in our store . They do what they like change it to suit them.

This is a government decision, not a Company one. Bank Holidays can't be moved willy nilly.
Yes, I know that the night shift bank holiday's can be different but night teams are 'supposed' to be given an option of 2 dates.
E.G. when a bank holiday is on a Monday, nights have the option of Sunday into Monday night or Monday into Tuesday night.

cosmosmallpiece

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Option lol . We are told . Union is c**p . Glad I came out years ago. Money better in my pocket than there's.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
This is a government decision, not a Company one. Bank Holidays can't be moved willy nilly.
Yes, I know that the night shift bank holiday's can be different but night teams are 'supposed' to be given an option of 2 dates.
E.G. when a bank holiday is on a Monday, nights have the option of Sunday into Monday night or Monday into Tuesday night.

And yet the government awarded an extra bank holiday for the royal wedding ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

helpme

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
It was a public holiday not a bank holiday, there's a subtle difference.

captain

• Smart Arse
And we don't work in a bank, so Tesco will do as they please but I'm sure they will consult with usdaw

Overworked1

• Regular Pain
Consult with usdaw how they can screw us out of more.

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
Bank holidays and Public holidays have no legal jurisdiction what so ever. A company does not need to recognise these or follow them.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
Ok so a "public" holiday was awarded for a royal wedding, but not to commemorate V.E. day :-X

In the past, I recall Tesco accommodating the one off extra day, for the colleagues whose contracted day fell on it, by adding an extra day to their allowance that year.

If they move the day though, will Tesco try to jiggle the allowance by taking it off the Monday contracted workers, who will gain an extra day if they don't do Friday's, to give to the Friday contracted workers?? Can't see it myself.

I think they may just award an extra day allowance to Friday contracted staff ???
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

londoner83

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
As the overwhelming majority of our workforce is part time why should Tesco feel obliged to do anything? You all get holiday/bank holiday allowances to use when you want, so surely all you need to do if you work Monday and Friday is request that you work the Monday and have the Friday off instead.

Cant see Tesco giving everyone another day off and feel government are banking additional bank holidays for when sadly the Queen or Duke Edinburgh dies.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Why would you need an extra day if it's not an extra bank holiday.  Theres still only 8 bank holidays in the year!

Expressdude2016

• Sad Muppet
As the overwhelming majority of our workforce is part time why should Tesco feel obliged to do anything? You all get holiday/bank holiday allowances to use when you want, so surely all you need to do if you work Monday and Friday is request that you work the Monday and have the Friday off instead.

Cant see Tesco giving everyone another day off and feel government are banking additional bank holidays for when sadly the Queen or Duke Edinburgh dies.

Your right. I’m not sure why folk moaning about special day . The bank holiday has been moved to accommodate this not like royal wedding when it was an extra one . Your right Government will be saving one for duke of Edinburgh. The queen is different the day of her funeral will be a close of all major retailers and very likely even corner shops would close, there would be additional holidays though for coronation etc.

person7

As long its on a Monday? I like bank holidays as get extra pay lol.

Then again we got notices on our door today bonus pays are ending so no idea what's happening