Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17-09-19, 03:10AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 60705
  • Total Topics: 1068
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 92
Total: 95

Author Topic: Holiday pay calculations  (Read 2846 times)

MonkeH

• VLH Supporter
Holiday pay calculations
« on: 15-05-19, 03:08PM »
My question is based on the assumption that holiday pay is calculated at the higher of either A) contractual hours or B) average earnings over past 12 weeks.
If that's the case then please can you help me with the following:
A colleague I work with is taking 7 weeks leave as a lifestyle break. 3 of which will be made up using accrued annual leave entitlement.
He currently has been given the last 3 weeks as holiday and the first 4 as lifestyle break. As I see it this would lower his average earnings for the 12 week period and therefore lower his holiday pay.
Or would it not effect due to lifestyle break?!

Hope this makes sense!
Regards

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
Re: Holiday pay calculations
« Reply #1 on: 15-05-19, 04:04PM »
Yes, if he does overtime then if he took the first 3 weeks as annual leave he would be entitled to more money than he would taking the last 3 weeks as annual leave.
If he doesn't work overtime then it's completely irrelevant which way he takes it .

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Smart Arse
« Reply #2 on: 15-05-19, 04:07PM »
Can I add, you are not automatically entitled to a lifestyle break, you can apply but Tesco can refuse and in our store frequently make it difficult to take more than 2 weeks holiday at a time, so unless it's a lot of money is it worth the hassle of changing it.

MonkeH

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #3 on: 15-05-19, 08:04PM »
The difference in contractual hours and overtime in this situation is quite large. So it's absolutely worth moving the holidays if they will let him 👍🏻

Thanks chaps

NightAndDay

• Smart Arse
« Reply #4 on: 15-05-19, 08:57PM »
Does the 12 week average reset at the beginning of the tax year or is it always rolling?

Grassa

« Reply #5 on: 16-05-19, 01:25AM »
it keeps rolling

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 16-05-19, 06:16AM »
My understanding is that the 12 week average only includes full weeks i.e. not ones where you have had a full weeks holiday or sickness.  I am really not sure how unpaid absence on a lifestyle break would affect the calculation.
« Last Edit: 16-05-19, 06:25AM by Walker »

Redshoes

• Smart Arse
« Reply #7 on: 16-05-19, 09:04AM »
My understanding is that holiday is always attached to a lifestyle break so that the colleague does not come back with outstanding holidays that would have been used during that time. I have not seen this on paper but there is a brief online. I have only ever known one person who has taken a lifestyle break and they had holidays at the end.

l99

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #8 on: 27-06-19, 12:45AM »
Hey, so I'm a bit confused looking at my payslip. I have last weekend and this upcoming weekend booked off as holidays, (21/22 - 29/30).
I thought this would mean my payslip would show these two weekends as holiday pay, but looking at it it's only showing basic pay? Is this right and my holiday pay will be on the July payslip? Bit confused and worried as I've done a lot of overtime the last 12 weeks so my holiday pay should be higher than my base pay!
Thanks ?

Global Moderator Comment Welcome to VLH, your new topic has been merged with this suitable pre-existing topic.

Theodore

« Reply #9 on: 27-06-19, 03:23AM »
The cut-off point for tomorrow's payslip was last Thurs 20th. So any holidays or overtime from Friday 21st will be on next month's payslip.
« Last Edit: 27-06-19, 03:24AM by Theodore »

lordadmiral

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #10 on: 27-06-19, 02:01PM »
My question is based on the assumption that holiday pay is calculated at the higher of either A) contractual hours or B) average earnings over past 12 weeks.
If that's the case then please can you help me with the following:
A colleague I work with is taking 7 weeks leave as a lifestyle break. 3 of which will be made up using accrued annual leave entitlement.
He currently has been given the last 3 weeks as holiday and the first 4 as lifestyle break. As I see it this would lower his average earnings for the 12 week period and therefore lower his holiday pay.
Or would it not effect due to lifestyle break?!

Hope this makes sense!
Regards

As said earlier if he did a lot of OT, for example he is contracted to 3 days and worked 6 each week then he will loose a bit. But if it was just odd shift here and then then hi will loose few pounds.