Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18-07-19, 10:30AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 58123
  • Total Topics: 1030
  • Online Today: 158
  • Online Ever: 826
  • (23-02-15, 06:44PM)
Users Online

Author Topic: Pay differences at Tesco  (Read 4704 times)

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
Pay differences at Tesco
« on: 21-06-19, 02:25PM »
Hi,  Can anyone please explain why Customer Service staff are paid more than other staff?  I work in the PFS and a lot of us feel very aggrieved about this issue.  We deal with all sorts of issues as well as having the responsibility of the fuel and as we're isolated from the main store, we get next to nothing in the way of management support.  This difference in pay is extremity demotivating.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
Re: Pay differences at Tesco
« Reply #1 on: 21-06-19, 02:48PM »
Been the same way for years , pfs  do refunds , have to deal with ordering of stock and accepting deliveries , frequently don't get break cover . Accept it , it isn't going to change .or you could transfer to a job in the store but it's funny how no pfs staff are ever annoyed enough to do that .
And btw I'm pfs staff so I do know what it's like.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #2 on: 21-06-19, 02:59PM »
Hi Welshie, thanks for the reply.  I just do not understand why the union aren't on this.  Are you as demoralized in your store as we are in ours?  We have very poor equipment, frustrations and stress levels are at breaking point and this issue just rubs salt in the wounds. 

an_anon

« Reply #3 on: 21-06-19, 03:20PM »
Just stop caring about Tesco and it's 'values' because they sure as hell don't care about you. It is what it is, so do the bare minimum required, go home and get paid. If a better opportunity arises, take it, because it's all downhill from here.
« Last Edit: 22-06-19, 09:34PM by Nomad »

« Reply #4 on: 21-06-19, 03:24PM »
How's this for demoralising? DotCom drivers are getting an extra payment in the Pay Review. Along with CSD and wages clerks, drivers are on a grade D wage. When the pay rise takes place CSD and wages will receive £9.42 per hour but drivers will receive £9.68.

Welshie

• VLH Supporter
  • Know All
« Reply #5 on: 21-06-19, 03:33PM »
@TALIHAD  ,  I just accept it , you'd need to draw a map for a manager to find our pfs , I do my job and only kick up a fuss when breaks are an issue .our counter is falling apart , our tills are f***ed and since P&H went bust getting stock across from store means we've to push ridiculously heavy trollies . I do my shift , do my best and go home . We will never get the skills payment , we just got to settle ourselves or move to job in store .

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #6 on: 21-06-19, 03:55PM »
Dotcom drivers got the extra to keep them in line with what the other supermarkets pay their drivers.

Helpisontheway

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #7 on: 21-06-19, 04:38PM »
They don't seem to really get what's happening in store's. Older staff are getting upset with pay and conditions being cut at every turn. The younger ones can see there's no future in the job. Tesco are storing up trouble by the bucket load for themselves. D.L. has a wake up call just around the corner. Spending millions on imitating Sainsbury's, Jack's not making an impression. Don't be surprised if he jumps ship in the not to far distant future.

Preacherpauly

• Regular Pain
« Reply #8 on: 21-06-19, 09:07PM »
Hi Welshie, thanks for the reply.  I just do not understand why the union aren't on this.  Are you as demoralized in your store as we are in ours?  We have very poor equipment, frustrations and stress levels are at breaking point and this issue just rubs salt in the wounds.

Don't rely on the union to get you anything or have your back. They do what tesco tell them to do.

specialgravy

« Reply #9 on: 21-06-19, 11:44PM »
CSD get same as a shift leader in expresss. i have done both roles and only a dimwit in an office whos shoes have never been close to a shop floor would think there is anything remotely comparable with doing what the computer tells you to do when a customer brings back some smelly meat and having to answer a call out to a break in at 3 in the morning. i made my feelings clear by leaving for a much better paid job where i work mon-fri. tesco are a joke, stay and whine or get out and prosper.

« Reply #10 on: 22-06-19, 02:09AM »
CSD get same as a shift leader in expresss. i have done both roles and only a dimwit in an office whos shoes have never been close to a shop floor would think there is anything remotely comparable with doing what the computer tells you to do when a customer brings back some smelly meat and having to answer a call out to a break in at 3 in the morning. i made my feelings clear by leaving for a much better paid job where i work mon-fri. tesco are a joke, stay and whine or get out and prosper.

Actually your wrong csd is d grade shift leader is the same as checkout team support and is £1.44 per hour more. Will be paid £11.16 in Oct 2020.   

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #11 on: 22-06-19, 08:00AM »
It's all such a shame, I actually quite like the job itself but hate, hate, hate the company.  Unfortunately, I live in an area with very little employment opportunities and do not want to travel, plus at my age, I'd never get back into the office, which was my career before being made redundant 6 years ago, so I feel stuck there. 

The frustrations are enormous though, we have a manager who only wants to tow the company line and keep the KPIs green.  Our tills don't work, pumps fail regularly and of course customers complain, our counter and seating area is downright dangerous, we have nowhere to put stock, in fact the whole shop is dangerous.  We are very, very short staffed, people leave and are not being replaced.  Our contaminated sand hasn't been collected in months and we have run out of bins to put it in, even the dustpan has a hole in it.  I could go on, all this we have to deal with and then we're told that CSD staff are worth more. 

I hope something changes soon and Tesco realise that they get more out of their staff if they keep them onside and that other garages and stores are opening with shiny, new equipment that actually works and has stock on the shelves. 

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #12 on: 22-06-19, 09:56AM »
Have you thought of a re training programme to get back into office work....this is something I have enquired about, as due to redundancy, I feel too old to be taking a flexi contract and really don't want to return to retail, and seems everyone wants weekend staff or rubbish low hours at stupid times.

You really need to speak to your rep and H&S rep regarding your issues. Ask for a meeting with them and your manager, to highlight and document the issues....if the rest of the team feel the same, put in a group grievance to raise your concerns. Rsise your concerns in the store forum with your store forum rep, you should have a store forum rep for your dept, if you don't, ask for one or put yourself forward.

I always used to mention to my manager, in the first instance, my concerns. If nothing was done, I would hand her a letter dated and signed, stating my issues again, and asking for an update within a specified time. she knew me well enough to know that I would raise a grievance if she didn't get back to me.

If you have a manager who only wants to tow the company lines, then one of the company rules is that breaks should be covered and no one should go more than 4 hours without a break. Another is that holidays should be covered with overtime  ;D
Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #13 on: 22-06-19, 12:55PM »
Hi Lucgeo

I'm lucky with my hours, I'm happy with what I've got, so in that respect I'm okay.  As I said before, I don't want to travel to work, so I have to stay local and that is the problem.

The store forum is a good idea, we're awaiting a new rep as our old one has been on long term sick and wasn't very good anyway.  I'm not in the union but they don't ever do anything for us anyway.  They came round about six months ago and put up posters about violence in the workplace, which isn't an issue for us.

As I said before, I like the job in itself, it suits me and our customers are lovely.  I just want it to be better, I want to be as valued as CSD staff, I want to do a good job and feel appreciated for it and treated Fairly.

Let's just hope that Drastic Dave goes soon and someone comes in and makes things better.  They'll get more out of us if they do.   

Overworked1

• Know All
« Reply #14 on: 22-06-19, 01:17PM »
Some good point raised taliahad and lucgeo. Tesco can be a great place but Dave and the shop floor managers need to stop making screw up which impact on staff moral morale and mental health.  If you can’t do something right leave it.

ReliantSkydiver

« Reply #15 on: 22-06-19, 03:02PM »
Rightly, or wrongly, CSD are on a higher grade due to Moneygram and the legal responsibilities this attracts. I remember this was raised at an SD Forum some time ago and this was the answer that was fed back.

ReliantSkydiver

« Reply #16 on: 22-06-19, 03:16PM »
Have you thought of a re training programme to get back into office work....this is something I have enquired about, as due to redundancy, I feel too old to be taking a flexi contract and really don't want to return to retail, and seems everyone wants weekend staff or rubbish low hours at stupid times.

You really need to speak to your rep and H&S rep regarding your issues. Ask for a meeting with them and your manager, to highlight and document the issues....if the rest of the team feel the same, put in a group grievance to raise your concerns. Rsise your concerns in the store forum with your store forum rep, you should have a store forum rep for your dept, if you don't, ask for one or put yourself forward.

I always used to mention to my manager, in the first instance, my concerns. If nothing was done, I would hand her a letter dated and signed, stating my issues again, and asking for an update within a specified time. she knew me well enough to know that I would raise a grievance if she didn't get back to me.

If you have a manager who only wants to tow the company lines, then one of the company rules is that breaks should be covered and no one should go more than 4 hours without a break. Another is that holidays should be covered with overtime  ;D

Lucgeo, I’m guessing like me, you were a stock controller that was ‘forced’ into taking redundancy and I know you’ve always been one of the more knowledgable people in VLH. I can only give my story which doesn’t count for much I know, but I managed to secure an office job and started this week (I was a 20+ year server). Admittedly my new company took a chance on me, but my knowledge and ability around my stock control experience in business related matters secured this new job (with 5k more to boot!). I appreciate it’s an easy thing to say but I’m quite confident your experience can secure you that office job as they are out there. My new title is “Packaging Coordinator”. Try searching for this term on the job sites as while it’s an office role, stock control knowledge is highly advantageous. I wish you well.

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #17 on: 22-06-19, 05:11PM »
You guess right  8-)
Thanks for the heads up, I will certainly look into that job title role.

Like taliahad, my area is very limited on job vacancies and opportunities. As a tourist area it is mainly retail or hospitality on low hours, and weekend late hours. Add to that it is in Wales, then any local government or NHS positions are mainly Welsh speaking essential criteria.

I have been made aware of an upskilling or training programmes with the Welsh government, for people, who have been made redundant within the last three months. They will fund the training or find you a position with a company who will train you and pay you. So this is they way I'm thinking now. It may be something others could check for their area.

I'm glad you've found a suitable position, with higher pay, and I wish you the best of luck for the future  :thumbup:

lucgeo

• VLH Supporter
  • Sad Muppet
« Reply #18 on: 22-06-19, 06:50PM »
Hi Lucgeo

I'm lucky with my hours, I'm happy with what I've got, so in that respect I'm okay.  As I said before, I don't want to travel to work, so I have to stay local and that is the problem.

The store forum is a good idea, we're awaiting a new rep as our old one has been on long term sick and wasn't very good anyway.  I'm not in the union but they don't ever do anything for us anyway.  They came round about six months ago and put up posters about violence in the workplace, which isn't an issue for us.

As I said before, I like the job in itself, it suits me and our customers are lovely.  I just want it to be better, I want to be as valued as CSD staff, I want to do a good job and feel appreciated for it and treated Fairly.

Let's just hope that Drastic Dave goes soon and someone comes in and makes things better.  They'll get more out of us if they do.   

It is unfair when one dept is seen to be receiving a better rate of pay to another when both roles are very similar....I have, in the past, done a stint on CSD for about a year.....things have come and gone that the CSD cover.....we used to print photos, with a big Kodak machine, wrap and bow tie flowers,and take savings for the Tesco bank. This seems to have been replaced with moneygram, and wearing headsets to be in contact with the team support on checkouts for assistance calls, apart from that I've seen a drop in their role responsibilities, yet received a higher pay grade? There is no skill required for their role, they are trained to do it as others are trained to do their dept jobs.....it can be stressful, but then so is checkouts and they're dealing with exactly the same customers. Unlike PFS they have the whole store, and security guard, for immediate backup as they are onsite. PFS is rarely visited by any managers or SM ( some may say this is a blessing ) apart from their own manager. Duty phone is not always answered or nay be engaged when they are calling for help!

Bakers, butchers and fishmonger have a trained skill payment for a skill that is recognised, and transferable to other sectors.

Otherwise the pay grades are full of inconsistencies. Wages is a higher pay grade than cash office? Dot com team leader higher than checkout team leader?

On another note.....you don't have to be a union member to get the H&S rep involved in a meeting with you and the manager....they aren't always Union reps themselves, and they should be doing "walk rounds" on a regular basis to highlight H&S concerns in each dept. So if yours hasn't been for a while, ask them to come and check the areas of concern in PFS.

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #19 on: 26-06-19, 05:18PM »
I tell you what, it gets to the point where we just can't cope at our place.  The equipment goes down, we can do nothing about it, customers are pouring in and we have to deal with it.  If we can get hold of managers, they are slow to come over, if they bother at all.  We have to think on our feet and while most customers are patient and understanding, some can get abusive and we can do nothing. 

Then, on top of all that, you get a rollocking and a let's talk because you try to deal with the situation as best you can, putting the customers first and getting them on their way and you cut corners to do so and we're not deemed valued enough to be paid the same as CSD staff.

I hope senior management occasionally get their heads out the trough and read this forum, they might learn something 

madness

• Know All
« Reply #20 on: 26-06-19, 05:38PM »
Whats the going rate for a shell employee or any other stand alone petrol station? Probably less than Tesco but I do agree that "hi are you duty can you deal with this"  I mean csd  don't do anything over and above anyone else on the shop floor.

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #21 on: 26-06-19, 05:59PM »
When I worked at a BP garage it was slightly less money but paid break (30 mins) and Sunday premium and over-40 hour a week overtime premium at time and a half meant I went home with more money...

taliahad

• VLH Supporter
« Reply #22 on: 26-06-19, 06:35PM »
Is Shell and BP as stressful?  Does the equipment work?  Do they have to do everything we do?  Do they get given sand to put down when someone drops a load of diesel on the forecourt?  Do they then get their contaminated sand taken away?  Do they get given a dustpan without a hole in it?  Do they get given a list of impossible tasks to complete?  Do they get complaints and moans from management, when they actually need management?  Do they get blamed for anything and everything?  It's not all just about the money, I'd be happy to feel appreciated and supported now and again.   

Walker

• Know All
« Reply #23 on: 26-06-19, 06:56PM »
I don't know about shell... But BP? Yes. Just as stressful.

« Last Edit: 26-06-19, 07:00PM by Walker »

fatboy

• Know All
« Reply #24 on: 26-06-19, 09:16PM »
Who cares what Shell & BP are like